Author Topic: Biggest pet peeve at the gym?  (Read 47423 times)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
Re: Biggest pet peeve at the gym?
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
these dudes that hold a 45lb plate in each hand and do side bends.

You weigh 320lbs and dont have an ounce of muscle on you.  this is the least of your worries.

and

the 140 lb mass monsters crushing 8 sets of forearm curls  ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »
these dudes that hold a 45lb plate in each hand and do side bends.

You weigh 320lbs and dont have an ounce of muscle on you.  this is the least of your worries.

Not just that but don't they realize the 45 in the other hand is counterbalancing them and making the move easier ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »
Not just that but don't they realize the 45 in the other hand is counterbalancing them and making the move easier ???
LOL THIS!!!!

so basically youre working forearms? hahahah

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2012, 03:25:22 AM »
LOL THIS!!!!

so basically youre working forearms? hahahah

Reminds me of when I see (usually) young trainers performing what I can only assume is supposed to be a rotator cuff exercise; standing while holding a db at about the half-way point of a hammer curl position (arm bent 90 degrees). They move their arms in the right direction, but in that standing position, there's no resistance on their RC's.

If you want to do it standing, you've got to use a band or cable.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2012, 07:03:06 AM »

Reminds me of when I see (usually) young trainers performing what I can only assume is supposed to be a rotator cuff exercise; standing while holding a db at about the half-way point of a hammer curl position (arm bent 90 degrees). They move their arms in the right direction, but in that standing position, there's no resistance on their RC's.

If you want to do it standing, you've got to use a band or cable.
LMFAO I saw a lady doing this the other day and thought the same thing

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
To eager to assist.  I also hate to be spotted on squats.  I will just Put it on the catch rails if I can't get up.  If you train with somebody and they wanna look like johnny attentive and help to much. Even if I'm struggling I might fucking get it.  Also sometimes on bench I willet it sit on my chest for a second and take a small rest if doin drops or rest pause or just wanna get one more maybe I just need a second.  Doesn't mean I need help lifting it, especially if it's light an I'm just burning out and wanna wait and vet two more.  Hat over eager spotters.  The worst exercise for that is squats. 

Try explaining how you want your spot. Most people can give you at least closer to what you want if they know what you're after.

My first gym was mostly serious, old-shool lifters who really knew their shit. I learned a ton from those guys, including the ABC's of spotting. Some people would take a hand-off; others not. Some trainers wanted you to help them keep the weight moving the entire time, while others didn't want you to even touch the bar until/unless it started coming back down on them.
Side-spotting a heavy squat always made me nervous. Some of those guys got so pissed off when you'd incorrectly "help" them rack the bar. ;D

Anyway - to this day - anytime someone asks me for a spot, I ask them what they want. Many will just shoot you a confused look because either no one's ever asked them that, or (more likely) they themselves never gave thought to the idea that there are different ways.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2012, 07:37:12 AM »
LMFAO I saw a lady doing this the other day and thought the same thing

I don't pay attention to too much in the gym, but occasionally, something will be stupid enough to catch my eye.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »
Half reps

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
Half reps
Especially when it's an employee of the gym. >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Jay8899

• Getbig II
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »
When people intentionaly stand in front of the mirror when im training.

or
when i walk away from a machine or bench etc..to get water and someone just trains on it,being a douche.

or
when im in the lmiddle of training and ppl ask me if im using a machine not even related to what im using or even near me.

or
when ppl just do nothing but stare!

or
when ppl take there sweet ass time with a weight or machine or whatever,especially if they dont know what there doing.

herne

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2012, 08:18:38 AM »
Squatting a few inches with 5 or 6 plates on the bar...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »
Squatting a few inches with 5 or 6 plates on the bar...
You are preaching to the choir. I can't stand guys that deadlift off pins in the power rack so they can say they deadlift 200lbs more than what they can. This "sport" just attracts a lot of insecure young men. Quarter squats and leg pressing with the back board really high so they barely bend their legs with a 1000lbs. My grandma could do those shallow dips. Don't get me started on shallow shoulder presses or chest presses.

One guy on this board actually was trying to justify why he does all of the above when he lifts. The truth is that he is lying to himself about how strong he really is. If I short stroked everything I would magically be able to handle a hell of a lot more than what I use.

I use 85lbs dumbbells when I incline press. I never said I was an animal. I go as low as I can possibly go to full extention. A guy asked me if he could work in. He had 120lbs. and asked me to help get them up. He stopped a good 8 inches from his chest doing half reps. I never commit the sin of criticizing someone in the gym. So I told the kid let me try them. I thought if he could see his own performance by watching me imitate him he might see the light. I knocked out 6 half reps with the giant dumbbells. The next set I was back to my 85lbs. I never knew if anything registered in his head. When in doubt make an exercise harder not easier.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
You are preaching to the choir. I can't stand guys that deadlift off pins in the power rack so they can say they deadlift 200lbs more than what they can.
You do realize that is a legitimate exercise right? Although I would never claim it as a deadlift #.

I have noticed a few more people staring lately....kinda irritating.
Still, not putting weights away or leaving a loaded bar is #1 pet peeve for me.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2012, 05:52:59 AM »
I hated Bursting for a crap..getting to the toilets without farting out loud and then in the toilet ...no fucking toilet roll... that annoyed me having to go to the counter to the little girly and trying not to shit my pants asking for Bog roll... ::)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2012, 06:12:24 AM »
another thing was watching really fat people spending so much time on the "Ab Roller" when they should be on a bike or on the treadmill..... ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:57 AM »
You do realize that is a legitimate exercise right? Although I would never claim it as a deadlift #.

I have noticed a few more people staring lately....kinda irritating.
Still, not putting weights away or leaving a loaded bar is #1 pet peeve for me.
Of course I do. Half reps have a place in training. It just shouldn't be the main course. I have been lifting for 40 years. I just can't believe the lack of a work ethic in gyms now but it's a reflection of  today's generation. Of course not everyone of today's generation but wow I can't believe some of the non efforts in the gyms today.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
As I mentioned before, there's a right and a wrong way to do partials.

I'll use db bench press for example since oldtimer1 mentioned his story above. Stopping short the way that kid did has no benefit and actually is detrimental to any kind of development.

I lower the db's to a point actually a bit lower than a bar would allow. I then press, but stop about 4/5 (or a tad less) of the way up, far short of lockout, and even before triceps take over the bulk of the load. Done in this manner, the pecs never get a rest due to overbearing assistance from secondary muscles.

Of course, there's going to be some involvement of ancillary muscles, being a compound movement. The idea is to minimize involvement of these muscles as much as you can to maximize the effort of the pecs. And, again, I would only recommend this strategy if one's goal is strictly hypertrophy.

Functional strength is an entirely other matter.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »
I do partial reps sometimes at the end of a set when maybe a full rep is not possible... calf raises as an example. Larry scott used to call them "Burns"

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2012, 08:20:06 AM »
I do partial reps sometimes at the end of a set when maybe a full rep is not possible... calf raises as an example. Larry scott used to call them "Burns"

Larry also often used a version of the db shoulder press (you can find footage on YouTube) in which he only pressed through about the middle 3/5 of the movement. He claimed that was intentional, and credits it with his great deltoid development.

I've tried his version several times, but am not fond of it. It didn't "feel" the way I thought it should. I may not have done it correctly, or it may just not be ideal for me, further evidence that not everyone responds the same to various exercises.

I routinely incorporate some of his (and Vince's) arm and chest ideas with favorable results.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2012, 08:46:44 AM »
yes Larry scott showed this exercise a lot in his seminars. Ido not do it myself but he also made spider curls popular along with his "scott bench curls". I think Partial reps has a place in our training but maybe it is abused too often in the Gym and not used for what it was intended. I like doing it on parallel bar dips along with static holds.. now that is another story...in my Dungeon of pain..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »
I think Partial reps has a place in our training but maybe it is abused too often in the Gym and not used for what it was intended.

Sad and true.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »
Of course I do. Half reps have a place in training. It just shouldn't be the main course. I have been lifting for 40 years. I just can't believe the lack of a work ethic in gyms now but it's a reflection of  today's generation. Of course not everyone of today's generation but wow I can't believe some of the non efforts in the gyms today.
Nobody wants to lift no heavy ass shit these days. :( Kid I train with now is picking it up nicely though, but he's still a skinny twink....a work in progress if you will.

If he'll put down the godamn cell phone for a few minutes to do his sets. >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2012, 06:58:43 AM »
Chaos, I see a lot of young guys lifting heavy weights. They lift heavy for less than half squats, half leg presses, half shoulder presses, half deadlifts, half chest presses, half laterals, quarter calf raises, and then they walk on the treadmill being careful not to work to hard so they stay in the fat zone. These ego lifters aren't that strong but they actually think they are. My grandma could do little leg bends just like they do on the leg press with all those plates.

The other guys that kill me are the guys that work out without even trying. You can fine these guys chatting during their set. I saw a guy doing tricep pushdowns chatting through the whole set with his training partner. How could you be pushing yourself and have a conversation?

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2012, 03:05:15 AM »
Nobody wants to lift no heavy ass shit these days. :( Kid I train with now is picking it up nicely though, but he's still a skinny twink....a work in progress if you will.

If he'll put down the godamn cell phone for a few minutes to do his sets. >:(

Daaaave....phoooooooone
~

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »
Chaos, I see a lot of young guys lifting heavy weights. They lift heavy for less than half squats, half leg presses, half shoulder presses, half deadlifts, half chest presses, half laterals, quarter calf raises, and then they walk on the treadmill being careful not to work to hard so they stay in the fat zone. These ego lifters aren't that strong but they actually think they are. My grandma could do little leg bends just like they do on the leg press with all those plates.

The other guys that kill me are the guys that work out without even trying. You can fine these guys chatting during their set. I saw a guy doing tricep pushdowns chatting through the whole set with his training partner. How could you be pushing yourself and have a conversation?
No no no....no half rep bullshit with me!! >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!