Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 549894 times)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1300 on: October 21, 2016, 09:49:06 PM »
This year so far has been mostly biographies - authorised or not!

Just finished Richard Branson's riches rags to riches hagiography autobiography  (well he would write his own, wouldn't he!?)  Took more endurance to finish than his non-stop Atlantic crossing.  The most interesting part for me is his surprising (and forgotten by me) position re: the original invasion of Kuwait by Saddam Hussein, which he clearly expresses at length several times in the book.

Oh, and the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela think he's ace...  :P

*3* stars because of the nostalgic photos of '70s and '80s Britain...
T

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1301 on: October 22, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »
Hi, TU!

Yeah, I get what you're saying. However, in my defense, and I don't want to get off on a rant here, but, as Heidegger might have said, the absence of accessibility in my post, i.e., a kind of concealing that seems impenetrable at first, also serves to prompt or agitate the calling to presence of this absence in its concomitant revealing. So what at first seems concealed is subsequently revealed, but only in alethic moments of the disclosure of closure. Closure is ontologically prior to disclosure, and your concerns about the inaccessibility of "my shit," affirms the need for an onto-semantics, which, in this case, conveys the thought that Dylan is a poor choice for the Nobel-Lit. So, yeah, your point is well taken, but, of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I hope you are well.

I am well, sir. I hope you are, likewise.

But you said "concomitant." And "alethic." And then "ontologically," which I have heard but still don't quite get.

Nevermind, you keep doing you.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1302 on: November 10, 2016, 05:07:20 AM »
This year so far has been mostly biographies - authorised or not!

Just finished Richard Branson's riches rags to riches hagiography autobiography  (well he would write his own, wouldn't he!?)  Took more endurance to finish than his non-stop Atlantic crossing.  The most interesting part for me is his surprising (and forgotten by me) position re: the original invasion of Kuwait by Saddam Hussein, which he clearly expresses at length several times in the book.

Oh, and the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela think he's ace...  :P

*3* stars because of the nostalgic photos of '70s and '80s Britain...
This! Is a great 'what are you reading'  post.  :)

/wish i could add, but i'm still churning through trash. 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1303 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:51 AM »
Bernard Corwell's 'The Empty Throne.' Kinda post-Roman/pre-crown Britain stuff. Not great, but Cornwell is a good enough writer that I keep on. I think a 'B' grade movie is the right rating for him. He's written better, but I figure me and my (now) reading glasses are gonna keep on.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1304 on: November 16, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »
me and my (now) reading glasses

Same here :(

Cornwell does have a clinker now and then but when you write so much I guess it's gonna happen.
When I read his book "The Fort" I was like really man? you can do better then this.
I've followed the whole Saxon series and have been a fan. his tenth book is coming out this fall and I'm already waiting.

Do you remember the book you read from Stephen Hunter on Bobby Lee Swagger?
The first book of the the series was made into a movie called ''The Shooter" staring Mark Walburg
and now a tv series on USA network called "Point of Impact"

Reading the last couple book of Andy Mcnabbs, Nick Stone series....they are just ok.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #1305 on: November 16, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »
mark lawrence - prince of thorns trilogy

a must read for everyone
T

BigBen

• Getbig I
« Reply #1306 on: November 29, 2016, 06:57:27 AM »
currently into the Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. a truly brilliant read, recommend it. good reflection of the modern society

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1307 on: December 09, 2016, 12:25:30 AM »
currently into the Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. a truly brilliant read, recommend it. good reflection of the modern society
I wanted to like it. Lot of awards, right? It's about as good as traveling 3 hours for your favourite team -they lose - you drive home. 'Hey, honey, is that an Arbys?'

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1308 on: December 09, 2016, 06:24:57 AM »
I wanted to like it. Lot of awards, right? It's about as good as traveling 3 hours for your favourite team -they lose - you drive home. 'Hey, honey, is that an Arbys?'

Lmao!!  ;D ;D

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1309 on: December 14, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »
Bernard Corwell's 'The Empty Throne.' Kinda post-Roman/pre-crown Britain stuff. Not great, but Cornwell is a good enough writer that I keep on. I think a 'B' grade movie is the right rating for him. He's written better, but I figure me and my (now) reading glasses are gonna keep on.

I really liked "The Flame Bearer" which is the latest in the series but we always don't agree ;D

...I wish he'd write another on the Starbuck series >:(

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1310 on: January 17, 2017, 06:11:13 AM »
Been re-reading some Louis L'amour westerns.

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #1311 on: January 17, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »
As a result of a thread somewhere else in this place, I suddenly remembered that I'd lent my (marked up!!) copy of American Psycho to a faithless son of a b1tch who promised me on his children's lives he'd give it back and why did I believe his sh1t but I guess that's my stoopid fault former colleague, so I needed a replacement... arrived this morning...

While I was at it I also picked up a hardback copy of James Herbert - The Fog.  And a nearly-new paperback of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which I also lent to that sonofab1tch what the F**K was I thinking trusting another human being!?!?!!? former colleague who I've lost contact with...

So clearly I have some dark hours of the soul ahead.. I'll report back next weekend....

T

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1312 on: January 21, 2017, 06:13:58 AM »
As a result of a thread somewhere else in this place, I suddenly remembered that I'd lent my (marked up!!) copy of American Psycho to a faithless son of a b1tch who promised me on his children's lives he'd give it back and why did I believe his sh1t but I guess that's my stoopid fault former colleague, so I needed a replacement... arrived this morning...

While I was at it I also picked up a hardback copy of James Herbert - The Fog.  And a nearly-new paperback of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which I also lent to that sonofab1tch what the F**K was I thinking trusting another human being!?!?!!? former colleague who I've lost contact with...

So clearly I have some dark hours of the soul ahead.. I'll report back next weekend....

Nice! One of my first 'adult' books. I remember reading that in Mrs. Barker's 4A class Sydenham PS (Leamington Spa). She looked at the cover, grimaced, recovered, and walked on. Hair up and tight like Maggie Thatcher. Thank you, Mrs. Barker.    :)

/and 'the rats.'   :)

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #1313 on: January 27, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
Been re-reading some Louis L'amour westerns.

Read The Walking Drum.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1314 on: January 28, 2017, 05:17:47 AM »
Read The Walking Drum.

Very good book,I've read it a couple of times but not in years.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1315 on: February 22, 2017, 05:58:39 AM »
Ian Rankin's 'A Question of Blood.' It's ok. Not great Rankin, but better than most. I put the reading glasses on and take in a couple of chapters before bed. Stay young, kids.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #1316 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
The Bourne Identity, Robert Ludlum

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1317 on: March 02, 2017, 06:40:33 AM »
The Bourne Identity, Robert Ludlum

Not a fan of the series after Ludlum took over.he makes the books to unrealistic.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #1318 on: March 02, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »
I was doing a bit of traveling last year and got into the Doc Ford series by Randy Wayne White

http://www.randywaynewhite.com/doc-ford-novels.php

Easy reading, good writing and the stories are all different (unlike many serial type books like Jack Reacher or Joe Ledger) where it seems like that just change a few names and circumstances and write the same story over and over again

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #1319 on: March 02, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »
Nice! One of my first 'adult' books. I remember reading that in Mrs. Barker's 4A class Sydenham PS (Leamington Spa). She looked at the cover, grimaced, recovered, and walked on. Hair up and tight like Maggie Thatcher. Thank you, Mrs. Barker.    :)

/and 'the rats.'   :)

Hi Doc - hadn't realised you were also from the UK  :)

I'm afraid I didn't get far with the Fog yet.  I'm actually currently re-reading the novel 'Rendezvous With Rama' Arthur C. Clark.  And I just finished re-reading his factual/predictive book 'Profiles of the Future' from the late '60s.  It's truly fascinating how he got so close with some predictions (single portable phone number for everyone on the planet, but not mobiles?) and so far away with others (newspapers printed out via printer at home, but no Internet??)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profiles-Future-Inquiry-Limits-Possible/dp/0575402776
T

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1320 on: March 22, 2017, 06:43:35 AM »
Maybe a nice HC with those cool Wyeth pirate drawings?

I was just given a reprint from 1949 with illustrations from William Sharp.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #1321 on: April 01, 2017, 04:35:27 AM »
1984 by George Orwell.

Though Police, doublespeak, cameras everywhere, fake news, rewriting history, perpetual war etc. very much like another day in 2017.

noogleber

• Getbig I
« Reply #1322 on: April 05, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1323 on: April 10, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
Anyone here read Eco or Pynchon, any of their stuff? What about Don DeLillo or David Foster Wallace? Thoughts, reviews, recommendations?

Thanks.

Banjamin

• Getbig I
« Reply #1324 on: April 12, 2017, 05:44:50 AM »
Now i'm reading Umberto Eco "The Prague Cemetery"