Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
July 24, 2014, 04:25:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 82354 times)
Benny B
Time Out
Getbig V

Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »

Also read a good one on Teddy Roosevelt covered his life as pertains to his adventures as a naturalist and explorer before becoming president. Forgot the title.

"City Of Vice" tells the story of Teddy Roosevelt's time as Chief of Police in NYC.

Interesting, as New York was corrupt as HELL at the time, with cops taking bribes left and right, and the city was chock FULL o' brothels on practically every corner downtown. Teddy didn't exactly clean the city of corruption (far from it), but he stomped around and made a lot of noise, building a reputation as a no-nonsense leader that helped him in his ambitions for national prominence.

I admit I did not finish that book, as it was a little dry at times and was a tad too long, in my opinion.
Report to moderator   Logged

!
calfzilla
Getbig V

FREE ANABOLICHALO...SOON

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »

"City Of Vice" tells the story of Teddy Roosevelt's time as Chief of Police in NYC.

Interesting, as New York was corrupt as HELL at the time, with cops taking bribes left and right, and the city was chock FULL o' brothels on practically every corner downtown. Teddy didn't exactly clean the city of corruption (far from it), but he stomped around and made a lot of noise, building a reputation as a no-nonsense leader that helped him in his ambitions for national prominence.

I admit I did not finish that book, as it was a little dry at times and was a tad too long, in my opinion.

I have read a fictional book called the Alienist set in New York during this era. Somewhat like a Sherlock Holmes type character looking for the killer of little boy prostitutes.
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »

I have read a fictional book called the Alienist set in New York during this era. Somewhat like a Sherlock Holmes type character looking for the killer of little boy prostitutes.
By Caleb Carr. Read it years ago and liked it, especially all the NYC history. Unfortunately, his other books are kinda the same and not as good, so I've kinda written him off.   Undecided
Soul Crusher
Competitors
Getbig V

Doesnt lie about lifting.

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 23, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Undaunted-Ultimate-Sacrifice-Operator/dp/0307730697/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348422359&sr=8-1&keywords=fearless

Great friggin book.   
garebear
Time Out
Getbig V

Never question my instincts.

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 24, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »

I've read a LOT of great bios over the years. Most recently, Harry Belafonte's and Kwame Toure's...two men I admire greatly.

One I'd highly recommend about a likely little known figure in American history to most, called "Destiny of The Republic".
It is about the life of President James Garfield, who was shot shortly into his presidency and eventually died. Really well written and quite compelling. Garfield comes across as really fascinating individual, highly intelligent and compassionate, and a man who could have been a great president had he lived long enough.

I read that about a month ago. Good stuff.

I especially liked how delusional the assassin was (can't remember his name now). The stuff on Bell was interesting as well.

G
James28
Getbig IV

toilet roll of peace

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 26, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »

The Troy series by David Gemmell. Again.

Benny B
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: September 26, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »

I read that about a month ago. Good stuff.

I especially liked how delusional the assassin was (can't remember his name now). The stuff on Bell was interesting as well.

Yes, besides learning about Garfield, the back story on the crazy assassin was fascinating. He was a real loon. Also, the absolutely horrendous job the primary doctor who took over the president's medical care after the shooting. Those were the most interesting parts of the story, and it was written in a way that made it seem like a novel.

Had the meglomaniac doctor who took over the case not gotten involved, Garfield would likely have survived the assassination attempt.

!
garebear
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 27, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »

Anybody read the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child.

A guilty pleasure, I admit, but always very entertaining.

I just finished 'Gone Tomorrow'. Another great one.

I think a Tom Cruise movie is coming out where he plays Reacher. I'm looking forward to it.

G
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2012, 03:59:59 AM »

I think a Tom Cruise movie is coming out where he plays Reacher. I'm looking forward to it.

Agree. So formulaic and genre-bound, but I can get through one like a box of cookies. Fun books to read. Met Child a couple of years ago - very debonair looking. Will be seeing him again in a month, and I will definitely ask him his thoughts on casting Tom Cruise as Reacher.  Angry
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 01, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »

Junot Diaz was just awarded a MacArthur Award - the Genius thingy. Boy, if anyone was in the hunt for this, it would him. Nice.  Smiley
Kahn.N.Singh
Getbig III

Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht.

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 03, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »

Junot Diaz was just awarded a MacArthur Award - the Genius thingy. Boy, if anyone was in the hunt for this, it would him. Nice.  Smiley

Using Dominicanized Spanglish to chronicle the interior world of Washington Heights tigres is not my idea of what merits MacArthur recognition.
But Diaz has been on a roll (deserved or not), and let a hundred flowers bloom.
Irongrip400
Getbig V

Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 03, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »

Tell me more about this Reacher fella. I'm on a roll of reading a bunch of historical/fallen empire type books, and named a read that will be a bit lighter.
garebear
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 03, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »

Tell me more about this Reacher fella. I'm on a roll of reading a bunch of historical/fallen empire type books, and named a read that will be a bit lighter.
There are many books of this sort by Lee Child. Just look on the cover for the words " A Jack Reacher Novel".

I highly recommend getting one written in the first person. They are much more interesting.

G
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 04, 2012, 04:08:44 AM »

Using Dominicanized Spanglish to chronicle the interior world of Washington Heights tigres is not my idea of what merits MacArthur recognition.
But Diaz has been on a roll (deserved or not), and let a thousand flowers bloom.
Of course not - that's why you're the observer and he's the prize-winning writer.    Grin
Kahn.N.Singh
Getbig III

Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht.

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »

Of course not - that's why you're the observer and he's the prize-winning writer.    Grin

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out! Shocked

Still, take care, my good simian, literary promiscuity might satisfy superficially, but it loses any lasting gratification when it's led by indiscriminate taste.
Bonobo much? Grin  
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out! Shocked

Still, take care, my good simian, literary promiscuity might satisfy superficially, but it loses any lasting gratification when it's led by indiscriminate taste.
Bonobo much? Grin  
Ha! Playing the literary snob card, eh? That's a risky move in these anti-intellectual times. I think you're bluffing.    Grin
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 13, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »

Finished David Simon's 'Homicide,' his 1991 book about a year with Baltimore's murder squad detectives, which was later made into a tv series. A long book, which covers a lot: personalities, politics, geography and race among other things. Took me a bit of time to get into the book as a lot is thrown at the reader - just keeping the cast of characters straight in one's head is an initial problem. Book also has some structural issues as well, but these can be forgiven because what Simon does is fascinating -ie. following cases from corpse on the ground to guilty verdict; watch detectives fail or succeed to keep their shit together under pressure; show us the politics of a police unit; or, describe some really bizarre crimes, if you like the prurient stuff. Ultimately, the book really works because Simon is a superb writer and the whole of this book is so much greater than it's sums. If you like true crime stuff, this one is a keeper. Wonderful.
garebear
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 13, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »

Started reading this book. The opening chapter is just mind-blowing. Since getting the Kindle I'm getting a little out of control on reading too many books at once. Reading three ebooks right now and reading the newer Malcom X bio in paperback.

* short.jpg (8.52 KB, 228x221 - viewed 918 times.)

G
Benny B
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: October 13, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »

Started reading this book. The opening chapter is just mind-blowing. Since getting the Kindle I'm getting a little out of control on reading too many books at once. Reading three ebooks right now and reading the newer Malcom X bio in paperback.
If it's Manning Marable's book you are referring to, be careful with believing every thing you read in that one. Wink

!
Benny B
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: October 13, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »

Still marinating on the depth of Frantz Fanon's "Wretched of The Earth", while reading these two books:

!
garebear
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 14, 2012, 04:01:28 AM »

If it's Manning Marable's book you are referring to, be careful with believing every thing you read in that one. Wink
Yes, it is.

I'm a little surprised it won a Pulitzer. It seems to say pretty much the same things as the Autobiography but corrects it from time to time.

Which part or parts do you think aren't true?

Not a flame, I just wouldn't know where to begin on knowing what is true or not.

G
The True Adonis
Getbig V

"We Will Correct All This."

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 14, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »

The Robots of Dawn by Issac Asimov.

E
Roger Bacon
Getbig V

Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 14, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »

George Washington, The Indispensable Man - James T. Flexner

Have American Lion, (Andrew Jackson Bio) in queue.

Roger Bacon
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 14, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »

ken follet pillars of the earth's follow on book, world without end,,,,,, amazing book from an amazing auther

YES!!

My favorite two novels ever!  Have them both sitting right next to me now.

They made Pillars of the Earth into a TV mini series on Showtime, you should check it out!!!

Roger Bacon
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 14, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »

Wink

This is a good thread!!!  Cool

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!