Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
August 31, 2014, 03:42:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 87850 times)
Mr Nobody
Getbig V

Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.

« Reply #725 on: April 30, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »

Just finished Jane Leavy's The Last Boy, a biography of Mickey Mantle. Mantle was a hero, back when we used to have heroes - not the celebrity trash/cash whore hybrids we have these days - and Leavy  looks at what made Mickey Mick. What she finds is not always pretty or bow-wrapped, revealing a physically gifted man with a badly damaged psyche who tried to be everything to everyone except himself and those closest to him. Mick was confusingly self-denying, self-absorbed and self-destructive - almost mythological in his hubris, his downfall and his redemption. Leavy's book is unequivocally biased, though not a hagiography, and it's non-linear narrative helps rather than hinders itself. I finished the book both impressed and saddened by the man and, even more telling, I wished I'd met him. Recommended. 

Mickey a strange individual but incredible genes, where can I get this book chimps Barns and Nobles?
Report to moderator   Logged
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Beethoven's 9th. Inning

« Reply #726 on: April 30, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »

Mickey a strange individual but incredible genes, where can I get this book chimps Barns and Nobles?
If you can find one still open, I'll bet you can. Look on the the remainder tables. Got my HC copy for $6.99 -%10.  
funk51
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #727 on: May 02, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »

total recall. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Mr Nobody
Getbig V

« Reply #728 on: May 02, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »

If you can find one still open, I'll bet you can. Look on the the remainder tables. Got my HC copy for $6.99 -%10.  
Thanks.
Jack T. Cross
Getbig IV

Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)

« Reply #729 on: May 11, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »

Lololol..surprised that none of you so-called Scots picked up on this Broons strip that was online.  Couldn't find the original, though (it is equally hilarious).

I've got tons of great Underground Comics, too.  Might make a thread on the E-board soon with some scans.

deadpan
Getbig IV

« Reply #730 on: May 14, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »

dis

Tedim
Getbig IV

"Ну GetBig, ну погоди"

« Reply #731 on: May 18, 2013, 07:18:30 AM »

Titan by R. Chernow
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Beethoven's 9th. Inning

« Reply #732 on: May 18, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »

Titan by R. Chernow
Bogged down at pg 295. Good luck!
Mr Nobody
Getbig V

« Reply #733 on: May 18, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »

Bogged down at pg 295. Good luck!
Ernest Hemingway bio he had like 64 cats. I have been to his house/museum in the Florida keys very interesting it was.
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Beethoven's 9th. Inning

« Reply #734 on: May 18, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »

Ernest Hemingway bio he had like 64 cats. I have been to his house/museum in the Florida keys very interesting it was.
A lot of them poly dactyl. Lucky you. I'd love to visit his house and then go have a booze-up at Sloppy Joe's.      Smiley
Mr Nobody
Getbig V

« Reply #735 on: May 18, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »

A lot of them poly dactyl. Lucky you. I'd love to visit his house and then go have a booze-up at Sloppy Joe's.      Smiley
Oh yea Sloppy's was great was there as well, I got pic's from there somewhere it would take me 5 years to find them. Ha.
CalvinH
Getbig V

Free Foozle!

« Reply #736 on: May 18, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »

Most of them are poly...lol,humans can't touch the furniture but the cats can go anywhere they please ..yes I wen't and drank at Sloppy Joes..I even did the tourist thing and bought a shirt Embarrassed

Ben Kane,part two of his Spartacus series.

Terror Red by Colonel David Hunt and Christine Hunsinger...It was  about a terrorist attack in Boston and an ex special forces colonel who some how ends up with a female political hack trying to stop more attacks....the first 3/4 of the book was awesome.the female and the male would each write a chapter back and forth through their own perspective.susspence and funny with the mixed emotions of a female seeing death for the first time and a hardened soldier,,then it completely jumped the shark towards the end of the book Sad
Teutonic Knight
Getbig V

« Reply #737 on: May 18, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »

Charles Bronson: SOLITARY FITNESS
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Beethoven's 9th. Inning

« Reply #738 on: May 19, 2013, 06:30:38 AM »

Most of them are poly...lol,humans can't touch the furniture but the cats can go anywhere they please ..yes I wen't and drank at Sloppy Joes..I even did the tourist thing and bought a shirt Embarrassed

Ben Kane,part two of his Spartacus series.

Terror Red by Colonel David Hunt and Christine Hunsinger...It was  about a terrorist attack in Boston and an ex special forces colonel who some how ends up with a female political hack trying to stop more attacks....the first 3/4 of the book was awesome.the female and the male would each write a chapter back and forth through their own perspective.susspence and funny with the mixed emotions of a female seeing death for the first time and a hardened soldier,,then it completely jumped the shark towards the end of the book Sad

Oh yea Sloppy's was great was there as well, I got pic's from there somewhere it would take me 5 years to find them. Ha.
*ENVY*   

Tapeworm
Getbig V

Still crazy after all these years

« Reply #739 on: May 19, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »

South Bend's How to Run a Lathe
Shizzo
Getbig V

The King of Irrelevance

« Reply #740 on: May 19, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »

What is Dan Brown's new book (Inferno) about?
George Whorewell
Getbig V

THEY DONT KNOW

« Reply #741 on: May 19, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »

Last Five=

(1) The Last Narco- By Malcolm Beith

(2) Superfreakanomics- By Stephen J. Dubner, Steven D. Levitt

(3) Dark Market-By Misha Glenny

(4) The Road To Serfdom- F.A. Hayek

(5) One Nation Under Sex - By Larry Flynt, David Eisenbach
Grape Ape
Getbig V

Alphamod / Y board approved

« Reply #742 on: May 19, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »

Current = Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.   Read it 13 years ago, still hilarious and good.

Y
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Beethoven's 9th. Inning

« Reply #743 on: May 24, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »

The Book of My Lives by Aleksandar Hemon. Hemon is a jaw-dropping, award-winning fiction writer, but this book collects his non-fiction stuff, mostly discussing his strange arrival in the US - he was a Bosnian who was 'trapped' in Chicago when his Yugoslavia imploded. Most of the book I found repetitious and seemed like a slammed-together money grab, totally lacking in the Nabokov-like lightness of touch he usually  exhibits. That is, except for the last piece, 'The Aquarium,' which details his youngest daughter's death by hydroencephalitis. This is wrenching, master-class writing. Stunning. If you're interested in this guy, I'd start with the Lazarus Project and go from there.      
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Beethoven's 9th. Inning

« Reply #744 on: May 24, 2013, 04:20:53 PM »

Current = Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.   Read it 13 years ago, still hilarious and good.
Agree. I remember reading that and thinking at the time 'how can a book about such weird stuff be so long and yet I can't stop reading?' Super book. Bobby Shaftoe to the rescue!

/still haven't started the baroque cycle
FitnessFrenzy
Getbig V

grapefruit for life

« Reply #745 on: May 24, 2013, 11:38:42 PM »

I will be starting on this book today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultramarathon-Man-Confessions-All-Night-Runner/dp/1585424803/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369463908&sr=8-1&keywords=karnazes+marathon+man

I like it so far.
FitnessFrenzy
Getbig V

grapefruit for life

« Reply #746 on: May 24, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »

dis

would it be possible to get the same health benefit from alcohol free red wine?
FitnessFrenzy
Getbig V

grapefruit for life

« Reply #747 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:07 PM »

The Post Office a excellent book.

can you recommend any other books by Bukowski?
Raymondo
Getbig V

Ray of sunshine

« Reply #748 on: May 28, 2013, 05:34:52 AM »

can you recommend any other books by Bukowski?

Tales of ordinary madness (short-story collection)
Shizzo
Getbig V

The King of Irrelevance

« Reply #749 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »

Tales of ordinary madness (short-story collection)
Outed.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!