Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
August 01, 2014, 04:56:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83455 times)
no one
Getbig V

have i hurt your feelings?

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 21, 2014, 11:57:47 AM »

cant believe im just finding this now- thanks calvin

highly recommend

fiction:

lee child- the jack reacher series. straight up page burners.
nelson demille, esp the john corey series
james rollins
conn iggdulens stuff

going to check out that art of travel posted above look great.
Report to moderator   Logged
xxxLinda
Getbig V

thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 21, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »

xxxL

* knotbook.jpg (25 KB, 260x344 - viewed 201 times.)

* *5.jpg (2.35 KB, 65x65 - viewed 195 times.)
xxxLinda
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 21, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »

noone, you'll have to forgive me for my recommendation of Alain de Botton's Art of Travel, I didn't get past the 3rd chapter and there are only maybe two other books I've ever not read cover to cover.  I always try.

That one isn't worth buying...  I'll send it to you if you want it.  The cover notes are fab and the front notes and the press coverage, all wonderful, too good.

but it turns out it's far too high-brow, too many big words.  Totally pretentious.  

He's about 20 or 30 years younger than anyone you or I would care to know, with a phD in philistine and pretends to know what he's talking about.  He's a British philosphier ()sp...   He's written other books all of which I've read and liked.

But this one I couldn't get through, so please don't bother with Art of Travel, it's crap, bin it or recycle it.  Do not donate it to the Charity Shop, noone should have to read that rubbish...  Sorry.

>>>you mustn't bother with that book, you yourself could write a better one in your sleep with your other hand.

sorry to disappoint
xL
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 23, 2014, 05:07:36 AM »

The Wind is not a River by Brian Payton. A love story set during WWII. Protagonist reporter gets shot down over Attu, the farthest West of the Aleutians, and his US wife's search for him. Honestly, the only thing that got me through this melodramatic pot-boiler was the info I gleaned about the war theater in the Aleutians, of which I knew almost nothing. Oh, and some good geographic/geologic bits. A book to kill some time with on a trip, but not one I'd recommend you hunt down.  5/10
no one
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 23, 2014, 08:07:30 AM »

noone, you'll have to forgive me for my recommendation of Alain de Botton's Art of Travel, I didn't get past the 3rd chapter and there are only maybe two other books I've ever not read cover to cover.  I always try.

That one isn't worth buying...  I'll send it to you if you want it.  The cover notes are fab and the front notes and the press coverage, all wonderful, too good.

but it turns out it's far too high-brow, too many big words.  Totally pretentious.  

He's about 20 or 30 years younger than anyone you or I would care to know, with a phD in philistine and pretends to know what he's talking about.  He's a British philosphier ()sp...   He's written other books all of which I've read and liked.

But this one I couldn't get through, so please don't bother with Art of Travel, it's crap, bin it or recycle it.  Do not donate it to the Charity Shop, noone should have to read that rubbish...  Sorry.

>>>you mustn't bother with that book, you yourself could write a better one in your sleep with your other hand.

sorry to disappoint
xL

lol, so what your saying is you didnt like it?

Cheesy

thanks for the heads up xxxlinda i'll avoid it like anthrax.
Cholo4Life
Getbig IV

Team Myostatin Deficient

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »

I'm reading this now. All of the Groom's Civil War books are pretty good history and read almost like a novel. Highly recommended.

* 10797976-large.jpg (35.56 KB, 380x506 - viewed 165 times.)
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 06, 2014, 05:34:19 AM »

Sad news. Peter Matthiessen has died. Guy did more in one year than most will do in a lifetime: privileged upbringing; war service; inveterate traveler; CIA correspondent; Paris Review founder; trawlerman; Zen Buddhist; environmentalist; author of a ton of books, both fiction and non-fiction; lecturer and teacher. This guy did it all, and his contribution to letters and cultural life was/is astounding. He will be missed. On a personal note, I met him in '05 at his Southampton house and was impressed by him (tall and craggy) and the zendo he had on the grounds. I remember as I was leaving he remarked that the next day he was leaving for the Antarctic Seas where he would be leading a lecture group. Larger than life.

NYT obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/books/peter-matthiessen-author-and-naturalist-is-dead-at-86.html?ref=books&_r=0
Mazda323
Getbig III

Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 06, 2014, 05:48:40 AM »

The Prince, by Machiavelli, translated in Greek by the famous Greek writer, Nikos Kazantzakis.

He has written the"Zorbas".
no one
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 06, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »

trying to grind thru the game of thrones series.

not going good. nothing makes me want to pick up the book after i have put it down, or turn the next page. im on page 160 of the first book. im going to try it one more time. if something doesnt grab me im done w it.

conversly i picked up james rollins amazonia on thursday and read it in a day.

also read an re read 'let there be range' by tri nguyen and cole south- prolly the definitive text on mid to high stakes NL holdem. not for beginners. concepts are hard to grasp at first but every concept ties into the next so thats why you constantly have to read it cause you'll never grasp it in one go. if your a recreational player you'll not need the concepts in this book. its more suited to 5/10 NL and higher stakes. it sells for $1600 on amazon :0 no, im not joking.
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 07, 2014, 03:35:38 AM »

trying to grind thru the game of thrones series.

not going good. nothing makes me want to pick up the book after i have put it down, or turn the next page. im on page 160 of the first book. im going to try it one more time. if something doesnt grab me im done w it.

conversly i picked up james rollins amazonia on thursday and read it in a day.

also read an re read 'let there be range' by tri nguyen and cole south- prolly the definitive text on mid to high stakes NL holdem. not for beginners. concepts are hard to grasp at first but every concept ties into the next so thats why you constantly have to read it cause you'll never grasp it in one go. if your a recreational player you'll not need the concepts in this book. its more suited to 5/10 NL and higher stakes. it sells for $1600 on amazon :0 no, im not joking.
Agree. I made it through the first one, but it took me about half the book to get the all the characters and events straight, then it picked up. Pretty solid book, and I see why all the fanboys get excited, but I then decided that the rest of the series could appreciate on my book shelves rather than be read. One of my better investments.
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: April 12, 2014, 06:04:42 AM »

Just finished 'From Hell,' by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell. Wow. I'm late the graphic novel stuff, but this book is superior. An essay of the 'Jack the Ripper' crimes that posits the responsibility for the murders on the Masonic and the Queen's personal surgeon, Sir William Gull. Terribly detailed and totally interesting - I found myself losing hours on this one. I'm not sure that Mr. Moore believes this theory  (and he wouldn't be the first unreliable narrator) but his story's arc is amazing, the historical details impeccable, and the accompanying pics by Mr. Campbell beyond reproach. 10/10. Hunt this one down. Read it, and cherish it.
xxxLinda
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 15, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »

I also want to have a rant about JK Rowling and all the other plagarismists.  I think it'd be funny to name names and take apart authors

(When I was 16 I used to enjoy books which quoted other authors, kinda high-brow?  I read everything I could find most of my life. 

I always kept going through the novel I was into and wrote down all the big words I met on the way but didn't know.  I kept lists and came back later to mad elongated literacy.

Same with authors who drop names and quote Oscar Wilde.  Or was it him that quoted everyone else?

More frequently I am hugely disappointed with modern literature.  Does my head in, tis rubbish mostly
xL
The Ugly
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #962 on: April 15, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »

I also want to have a rant about JK Rowling and all the other plagarismists.  I think it'd be funny to name names and take apart authors

(When I was 16 I used to enjoy books which quoted other authors, kinda high-brow?  I read everything I could find most of my life.  

I always kept going through the novel I was into and wrote down all the big words I met on the way but didn't know.  I kept lists and came back later to mad elongated literacy.

Same with authors who drop names and quote Oscar Wilde.  Or was it him that quoted everyone else?

More frequently I am hugely disappointed with modern literature.  Does my head in, tis rubbish mostly
xL

Plagarismists. Is that your final answer?

Something very peculiar happening here, for sure.

dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 16, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »

Plagarismists. Is that your final answer?

Something very peculiar happening here, for sure.

A lot of wine. And, if you go back far enough, Linda used to be a guy. It's farked up. Getbig!
The Ugly
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #964 on: April 16, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »

A lot of wine. And, if you go back far enough, Linda used to be a guy. It's farked up. Getbig!

I read some old posts. Positively cuckoo.
no one
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 16, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »

I'm reading mike Tyson's undisputed truth.

I think I'm going to have a hard time putting it down. the guy actually writes well, along the lines of really opening himself up to you the reader. you get a very good feel for 'him'. so far it's no bullshit or bravado. just feels like 100% legit truths. much respect for him writing this. keeps you turning pages as well.
xxxLinda
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »

Oi ooops no actually I hate to need to correct/edit you dr.?

I came across GetBig when a guy I brought home from the Pub after I'd admired him a few days and after doing me all night and doing 1000 push ups in the morning then was still back at me was still up then used my puter and left himself logged on.  That was many years ago

At that time I was just reading a lot of books and I had no idea whatsoever about the internet, I'd only just bought a new iMac.

I clicked the mouse when he finally left and the screen came up with him logged onto Getbig.  So I read his horrific posts then wrote hello help me and people did and I was then able to log on as myself.  

Forgive me for the weekend fling, he ended up overdosing on test and wrecking two or three pubs on the way to kicking in my front door and being taken out by my neighbours who came across the road to help me and fend him off.

This is after he read my posts...  Then the Police came.  He's probably still in jail or back there or dead and def in timeout (or trolling...

Sorry 'bout that babes, I was never a bloke.  I'm just silly Linda

I'm reading everything I can find about Mindfullness, living in the moment?  presently I'm half way through Ruby Wax Sane New World

* SaneNewWorld.jpg (20.8 KB, 261x400 - viewed 94 times.)
The Ugly
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #967 on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Oi ooops no actually I hate to need to correct/edit you dr.?

I came across GetBig when a guy I brought home from the Pub after I'd admired him a few days and after doing me all night and doing 1000 push ups in the morning then was still back at me was still up then used my puter and left himself logged on.  That was many years ago

At that time I was just reading a lot of books and I had no idea whatsoever about the internet, I'd only just bought a new iMac.

I clicked the mouse when he finally left and the screen came up with him logged onto Getbig.  So I read his horrific posts then wrote hello help me and people did and I was then able to log on as myself.  

Forgive me for the weekend fling, he ended up overdosing on test and wrecking two or three pubs on the way to kicking in my front door and being taken out my my neighbours after he read my posts...  Then the Police came.  He's probably still in jail or back there and def in timeout (or trolling...

Sorry 'bout that babes, I was never a bloke.  I'm just silly Linda

I'm reading everything I can find about Mindfullness, living in the moment?  presently I'm half way through Ruby Wax Sane New World

Probably would've covered it.
xxxLinda
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 17, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »

Ta Babes but I've always known that

It'd be so much simpler to be able to do clever witty mad fun one-liners as you do?

Instead I'm this utterly ridiculous paragraph person...

xxxLinda

* Open-Book.jpg (26.89 KB, 460x276 - viewed 90 times.)

* focus.gif (9.17 KB, 100x100 - viewed 79 times.)

* *5.jpg (2.35 KB, 65x65 - viewed 80 times.)
Kahn.N.Singh
Getbig III

Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht.

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 17, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »

King of the Latin Boom and el realismo mágico.

A great light has gone out.

Aureliano Babilonia, having just seized the hidden meaning of Melquíades' prophetic history of Macondo, finally reaches the end of the manuscript he is reading to read about an Aureliano Babilonia reading Melquíades' history of Macondo. In a Borgesian-inspired narration, García Márquez writes: "Before reaching the final line, however, he had already understood that he would never leave that room, for it was foreseen that the city of mirrors (or mirages) would be wiped out by the wind and exiled from the memory of men at the precise moment when Aureliano Babilonia would finish deciphering the parchments, and that everything written on them was unrepeatable since time immemorial and forever more, because races condemned to one hundred years of solitude did not have a second opportunity on earth." See Gabriel García Márquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude, trans. Gregory Rabassa (London: Picador, 1978), p. 336.  

xxxLinda
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 17, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »

noone, don't do that rubbish please?  Game of Thrones?  20 years or more ago it was all that JRR Tolkien crap.  I got through The Hobbit when I was 12 and immediately decided I didn't like goblins.  I obviously didn't bother with the following trilogy.

I tried to read JK Rowling first edition first book when it came out to a friend's child when babyminding.  I couldn't get past the first page.  It was so badly written and I apologised to the young boy and said honest, you don't want to read this it's crap.  It went on to make gazillions so perhaps I just didn't get it.  I know he didn't read the books either.

Games of Thrones?  No way.  I'm nearly 50 so that means I have only so many books left I have time to read in my life.  

I realised that when I was 13 so just groaned then turned around and smiled when I saw all the shelves at the library.  
There are only so many books one can read in a lifetime and I suggest you get picky

xxxL
madly

I've got a list somewhere of the 10 best novels
.... where are my glasses?
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »

A giant of literature has died. Nobelate Gabriel Garcia Marquez has passed away, aged 87. Readers, worth their salt, will have a copy of '100 Years of Solitude' on their shelves, and will have probably gone through a 'Gabo' stage at some point in their reading history - he was that powerful. A proponent of 'magical realism,' his books were both personal, political, and fantastic. His narratives were driven/forward and always involved something lurid - a nod to his own life. When 'Solitude' made him an author of note, he worried that he would never recreate its success. He needn't have worried. Thanks for the fractured memories, compadre!

/nytimes obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/books/gabriel-garcia-marquez-literary-pioneer-dies-at-87.html?ref=books&_r=0  
xxxLinda
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 17, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »

Oh waaaaaaaa Mr Khan
You learn stuff first here on the www.

They're doing obits now on the BBC TV headlines.

An amazing writer.  The fact that he wrote in Latino makes the English translation so incredibly fabulously feeling.  

I've read Love in the Time of Cholera at least twice, his descriptions of love and of senses and particularly the way in which he describes smells were some of my best reading moments.  I'll have to read it again.  But I gave it away so I'll have to buy it again.

I've not yet read One Hundred Years...

Thanks for posting oh thanks for telling

xxxL

* LOveinthetimeof.jpg (17.21 KB, 214x330 - viewed 76 times.)

* garcia.marquez.gif (63.85 KB, 419x189 - viewed 79 times.)
Cholo4Life
Getbig IV

Team Myostatin Deficient

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 17, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »

The fact that he wrote in Latino makes the English translation so incredibly fabulously feeling.  

WTF language is "Latino"? R u semi-literate, buddy?
xxxLinda
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 17, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »

Spanglish Baby, Yo?
Que Linda

I'm in the fiction section, sorry I can't find my specs.

What I meant that you don't get is that I adore novels which are originally written in another language but which translate into utter beauty

xL

* focus.gif (9.17 KB, 100x100 - viewed 63 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!