Author Topic: Joint formulas (not what you think)  (Read 6894 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Joint formulas (not what you think)
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:37:51 AM »
Age is catching up and doing some homework on joint formulas (Glucosamine, Chondroiting and MSN).......anyne have good recommendations?

BradleyBryant

• Getbig II
Re: Join formulas (not what you think)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:51:41 AM »
I use 900mg omega 3 (fish not flax)

And a combination of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM daily.
I just use the GNC Triflex formula

Has alleviated stiffness and mild pain, primarily workout/running related.

claymore

• Getbig IV
Re: Joint formulas (not what you think)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »
Age is catching up and doing some homework on joint formulas (Glucosamine, Chondroiting and MSN).......anyne have good recommendations?

Nandrolone

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
Nandrolone

HGH!

Seriously, glucosamine and chonditrin, all that stuff is just balognie.
listen, when u take vitamin b 100 pills, do you feel any energy from them?  NO!
all that stuff is crap.  I mean, sure in the long run you'll be healthier, but you want to invest in stuff that works, NOW AND IN A PROFOUND WAY.

do growth

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »
HGH!

all that stuff is crap.  I mean, sure in the long run you'll be healthier, but you want to invest in stuff that works, NOW AND IN A PROFOUND WAY.

do growth

No it's not.

I had knee surgery 10 years ago, and i always had problems with the knees until i started glucosamine.

I'm on 1500mg Glucosamine ed for years now, no problems with the joints whatsoever.

Sure Deca and HGH  probably work better, but considered the costs, glucosamine is a good alternative.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
I'm a believer.  Someone turned me on to glucosamine and chondroitin about ten years ago.  Made a huge difference.  I hardly ever get joint pain and I lift all the time.  I tried glucosamine alone and it didn't work the same. 

johnbrown

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
Supercissus.....stuff has worked wonders, glucosamine never did much for me.  I've had chronic knee pain for about 10 or so years now, finally tried this stuff on a whim, and has made a huge difference.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »

I was suspicious of these substances that supposedly help your joints, but personal experience changed my mind. I think glucosamine works great. However, I think that to get benefits from it you need to take much larger doses than what it recommended. There is also some research that vitamin D3 helps with joint health. I will see what I can do to find something about...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
  I was suspicious of these substances that supposedly help your joints, but personal experience changed my mind. I think glucosamine works great. However, I think that to get benefits from it you need to take much larger doses than what it recommended. There is also some research that vitamin D3 helps with joint health. I will see what I can do to find something about...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

It works for some to "load" in the beginning and then cut back to maint 1500/1200 (glucos/chon) or even less.  I read studies several years ago that said more than 1500/1200 didn't provide additional benefit.
:

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
It works for some to "load" in the beginning and then cut back to maint 1500/1200 (glucos/chon) or even less.  I read studies several years ago that said more than 1500/1200 didn't provide additional benefit.

I take 1500mg Glucosamine with 150mg chrondroitin with excellent results.

When i cut back the dose in half, i get joint problems again.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:03:40 PM »
HGH!

listen, when u take vitamin b 100 pills, do you feel any energy from them?  NO!
all that stuff is crap.  I mean, sure in the long run you'll be healthier, but you want to invest in stuff that works, NOW AND IN A PROFOUND WAY.

do growth

Just to address your point on B Vitamins..no a person that is well nourished will not feel a difference.  A person who that has a severe deficiency will.  Example..an alcoholic, someone that literally lives on fast food, ect..

As for the whole glucosamine thing..I have been lucky enough to not have joint problems to this point (in my mid thirties)..however having worked in the supplement and nutritional biz off and on over the last 15 years Ive had countless people swear by this stuff from lifters to seniors just looking to be more mobile.  

Since I dont use it I dont have much of a recomendation.  Just go with a company with a good rep and you should be good.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
HGH!

do growth

Maybe im a dick but posts like this should be deleted, i however don't delete posts.

Double blind investigation of the effects of oral supplementation of combined glucosamine hydrochloride (GHCL) and chondroitin sulphate (CS) on stride characteristics of veteran horses.
Equine Vet J Suppl. 2006 Aug;(36):622-5.
Forsyth RK, Brigden CV, Northrop AJ.

REASONS FOR PERFORMING STUDY: Oral chondroprotective supplements are commercially popular for veteran (and other athletic or arthritic) horses prone to joint degeneration, yet lack conclusive scientific support.
OBJECTIVES: To quantify the effects of an oral joint supplement (combination glucosamine hydrochloride (GHCL), chondroitin sulphate (CS) and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine) in vivo on stride parameters of veteran horses.
METHODS: Twenty veteran horses were randomly assigned to a treatment (n = 15) or placebo group (n = 5). Pre-treatment gait characteristics were recorded at trot using digital video footage (50 Hz). The range of joint motion, stride length, and swing and stance duration were assessed using 2-dimensional motion analysis. Treatment (or placebo) was administered daily for 12 weeks at the manufacturer's recommended dosage. Gait was reassessed every 4 weeks using the pre-treatment protocol. Double blind procedure was implemented throughout. Relationships between variables were analysed using General Linear Model.
RESULTS: Differences occurred in the treated horses by week 8. Range of joint motion increased significantly in the elbow (P<0.05), stifle and hind fetlock (P<0.01). Stride length increased significantly (P<0.05) with treatment. Swing duration was significantly increased at week 12 (P<0.05), whilst stance duration remained constant.
CONCLUSION: The oral chondroprotective offered symptomatic relief to veteran horses, evidenced by improved stride characteristics.
POTENTIAL RELEVANCE: Oral GHCL and CS supplementation may improve welfare by alleviating symptoms of degenerative joint disease.

Collagen Synthesis in Tenocytes, Ligament Cells and Chondrocytes Exposed to a Combination of Glucosamine HCl and Chondroitin Sulfate.
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2007 Jun;4(2):219-24. Epub 2006 Dec 1.
Lippiello L.

Clinical testing of the nutraceuticals glucosamine (glcN) and chondroitin sulfate (CS) has shown efficacy in providing relief from symptoms in osteoarthritic patients. In vitro and in vivo studies support existence of a synergistic relationship upregulating synthetic activity in chondrocytes. A combination of glcN and CS may also be useful as adjunct therapy in sports-related injuries if similar upregulation of collagen synthesis is elicited in accessory ligament and tendon joint tissue. Collagen and non-collagenous protein (NCP) synthesis in cultures of bovine tenocytes, ligament cells and chondrocytes exposed to glcN + CS were assayed by uptake of radiolabeled proline into collagenase-sensitive material. Assay of radiolabel in hydroxyproline (a specific marker for collagen synthesis) following HPLC isolation confirmed the specificity of the metabolic effect. Synthesis of total collagenase-sensitive material was maximally upregulated at physiologically obtainable doses of glcN + CS. Tissue response followed the sequence ligament cells (+69%) > chondrocytes (+56%) > tenocytes (+22%). Labeled hydroxyproline increased by 132% in ligament cells, 27% in tenocytes and 49% in epitendon cells after a 48 h exposure to 5 µg ml-1 glcN + 4 µg ml-1 CS. Low dose combinations of glcN and CS effectively stimulate in vitro collagen and NCP synthesis by ligament cells, tenocytes and chondrocytes. Hence, therapeutic use following accessory joint tissue trauma may help augment repair processes.

The reverse glucosamine sulfate pathway: application in knee osteoarthritis.
Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2007 Feb;8(2):215-25.
Herrero-Beaumont G, Rovati LC, Castaneda S, Alvarez-Soria MA, Largo R.

Glucosamine is a natural amino sugar and a normal constituent of glycosaminoglycans in the cartilage matrix and synovial fluid of joints. Crystalline glucosamine sulfate salt has been approved as a medicinal product for the treatment of osteoarthritis in several European countries. Nevertheless, although it has been prescribed for more than 10 years, it is only due to the research in the last 5 years that the scientific basis underlying its beneficial effects are starting to be clarified. In randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials, this compound clinically controls pain and produces beneficial effects in patients with knee osteoarthritis, possibly delaying the appearance of long-term structural changes in the joint (i.e., it has a structure-modifying effect). Furthermore, it has an excellent toxicity profile. Despite the different lines of investigation that have been followed, the mechanism of action of glucosamine sulfate still remains to be clearly defined. However, the activity of glucosamine sulfate has recently been related to its capacity to downregulate the catabolic effects of pro-inflammatory molecules, such as IL-1, which are present in osteoarthritic cartilage.

Risk assessment for glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate.
Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. 2007;47(1):78-83.
Hathcock JN, and Shaoa A.

Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are two popular dietary ingredients present in dietary supplements intended to support joint health. A large body of human and animal research suggests that oral intakes of these ingredients, either alone or in combination, reduces joint pain and improves mobility in persons with osteoarthritis. The increased awareness and use of these ingredients in dietary supplements warrant a comprehensive review of their safety. Systematic evaluation of the research designs and data do not provide a basis for risk assessment and the usual safe upper level of intake (UL) derived from it unless the newer methods described as the observed safe level (OSL) or highest observed intake (HOI) are utilized. The OSL risk assessment method indicates that the evidence strongly supports safety at intakes up to 2000 mg/d for glucosamine, and 1200 mg/d for chondroitin sulfate, and these levels are identified as the respective OSL. These values represent the highest levels tested in human clinical trials. The complete absence of adverse effects at these levels supports a confident conclusion of their long-term safety.

Structural and Symptomatic Efficacy of Glucosamine and Chondroitin in Knee Osteoarthritis.
Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:1514-1522.
Richy F, Bruyere O, Ethgen O, Cucherat M, Henrotin Y, Reginster JY.

OBJECTIVE: To assess the structural and symptomatic efficacy of oral glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate in knee osteoarthritis through independent meta-analyses of their effects on joint space narrowing, Lequesne Index, Western Ontario MacMaster University Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC), visual analog scale for pain, mobility, safety, and response to treatment.
METHODS: An exhaustive systematic research of randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials published or performed between January 1980 and March 2002 that assessed the efficacy of oral glucosamine or chondroitin on gonarthrosis was performed using MEDLINE, PREMEDLINE, EMBASE, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Current Contents, BIOSIS Previews, HealthSTAR, EBM Reviews, manual review of the literature and congressional abstracts, and direct contact with the authors and manufacturers of glucosamine and chondroitin. Inclusion, quality scoring, and data abstraction were performed systematically by 2 independent reviewers who were blinded to sources and authors. Conservative approaches were used for clear assessment of potential efficacy.
RESULTS: Our results demonstrated a highly significant efficacy of glucosamine on all outcomes, including joint space narrowing and WOMAC. Chondroitin was found to be effective on Lequesne Index, visual analog scale pain, mobility, and responding status. Safety was excellent for both compounds.
CONCLUSIONS: Our study demonstrates the structural efficacy of glucosamine and indistinguishable symptomatic efficacies for both compounds. Regarding the relatively sparse data on glucosamine and joint space narrowing and the absence of data on structural effects of chondroitin, further studies are needed to investigate the relationship among time, dose, patient baseline characteristics, and structural efficacy for an accurate, disease-modifying characterization of these 2 compounds.

A randomized double-blind clinical trial of the effect of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride on temporomandibular joint disorders: a pilot study.
Cranio. 2001 Apr;19(2):130-9.
Nguyen P, Mohamed SE, Gardiner D, Salinas T.

Previous studies have shown chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride have beneficial effects on symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee. Our aim was to study the effect of a daily dose of 1500 mg of glucosamine hydrochloride (GH) and 1200 mg of chondroitin sulfate (CS) taken for twelve weeks on subjects diagnosed with capsulitis, disk displacement, disk dislocation, or painful osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Forty-five subjects were enrolled in the study and were randomly assigned to either an active medication group or a placebo group. Eleven subjects were lost from the study for various reasons, resulting in fourteen subjects remaining in the active medication group and twenty subjects remaining in the placebo group. Subjects taking CS-GH had improvements in their pain as measured by one index of the McGill Pain Questionnaire, in TMJ tenderness, in TMJ sounds, and in the number of daily over-the-counter medications needed. Subjects taking the placebo medication had improvements in their pains as measured by the visual analog scale and by four indices of the McGill Pain Questionnaire. Additional studies are required to evaluate the clinical effectiveness of CS-GH and to determine the exact mechanism by which CS-GH affects the articular cartilage of synovial joints.

There are a ton of other supplements which have scientific data supporting there use for joint health like boswellia serrata and harpagophytum (devils claw).

The b vitamin thing was pointless as its not intended for stimulation but improved mitochondrial function and substrate usage in the krebs cycle as b vitamins are important co-factors as is magnesium in all ATP producing steps. However, if you are replete with them i doubt they will do anything at all.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »

Maybe im a dick but posts like this should be deleted, i however don't delete posts.

You're a mod, so feel free to delete this kind of thing.

I'm not a big deleter either since everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Hopefully, those who read these types of things can sift through what is nonsense and not have to be spoon fed.

Welcome back!  :D

Great studies!  Thanks for posting.

Have you come across any recent studies re: the relationship between chondroitin and prostate cancer?  Several years ago there was some fear that there may be a relationship but, at the time there was no conclusive evidence.
:

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 09:03:51 AM »

You're a mod, so feel free to delete this kind of thing.

I'm not a big deleter either since everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Hopefully, those who read these types of things can sift through what is nonsense and not have to be spoon fed.

Welcome back!  :D

Great studies!  Thanks for posting.

Have you come across any recent studies re: the relationship between chondroitin and prostate cancer?  Several years ago there was some fear that there may be a relationship but, at the time there was no conclusive evidence.

Yes i have some,would you like me to post them?

it seems levels of chondroitin sulfate have a positive correlation with prostate cancer severity.This probably means that in this population supplementation is certainly bad but that doesn't necessarily mean it is carcinogenic, it could simply be altered metabolism due to the cancer. Nothing is definitive to my knowledge, but if you have a risk for the disease i would suggest staying away from supplementation. There are plenty of other things that have positive effects on joint health and positive effects on cancer... Curcumin comes to mind.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Yes i have some,would you like me to post them?

it seems levels of chondroitin sulfate have a positive correlation with prostate cancer severity.This probably means that in this population supplementation is certainly bad but that doesn't necessarily mean it is carcinogenic, it could simply be altered metabolism due to the cancer. Nothing is definitive to my knowledge, but if you have a risk for the disease i would suggest staying away from supplementation. There are plenty of other things that have positive effects on joint health and positive effects on cancer... Curcumin comes to mind.

Thanks a lot for this info, i definitely think that's a thing to consider.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »
I've had good results using gelatin for joint inflamation and pain.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 03:47:52 PM »
My buddy’s Dad fed him gelatin after training & games in high school.
He would just eat a tablespoon or mix it with water.
His Dad used to eat/drink the stuff when he played sports in college back in the 70’s, along with a lot of other guys.

Gelatin has demonstrated positive effects on general joint health, and is included in many geriatric health formulas.

Steve Reeves also included it in his morning protein drink:

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 10:23:26 PM »
I am a believer in joint supps now that I have taken them for a while. My use was mainly to alleviate pain induced by a bad ankle sprain. I noticed not only improved mobility and a reduction in pain in my ankle but also in my shoulders as well. Had no idea that the grinding I always felt was actually an indication of poor lubrication in my shoulder joints. I always thought warming up was all I needed to do, but I have since learned there is much more to it than that. Also healthy fats have helped.

The reason many take joint supps and conclude they are worthless is because they take TIME to work. Like weeks, not days. The longer you take them, the better they work. Up to a point of course.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 04:23:59 AM »
I am a believer in joint supps now that I have taken them for a while. My use was mainly to alleviate pain induced by a bad ankle sprain. I noticed not only improved mobility and a reduction in pain in my ankle but also in my shoulders as well. Had no idea that the grinding I always felt was actually an indication of poor lubrication in my shoulder joints. I always thought warming up was all I needed to do, but I have since learned there is much more to it than that. Also healthy fats have helped.

The reason many take joint supps and conclude they are worthless is because they take TIME to work. Like weeks, not days. The longer you take them, the better they work. Up to a point of course.

^^Agree.
Even my PCP recommends joint compound formulas, and he used to tell me to avoid protein supplements.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 09:37:35 PM »
I take glucosamin and chrondroitin all year round, but i like to throw in Cissus every once in a while as well....

Some Deca would do wonders for the joints as well, lol.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 02:33:44 AM »
I take glucosamin and chrondroitin all year round, but i like to throw in Cissus every once in a while as well....

Some Deca would do wonders for the joints as well, lol.

Have you used Cissus for soft tissue injuries like muscles and/or tendons?

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 02:39:02 AM »

Have you used Cissus for soft tissue injuries like muscles and/or tendons?

Well yes i have used Cissus, but i can't say if it did anything for soft tissue as well. Some say it helps, maybe placebo or you have to take it over a longer period of time.

Maybe it is due to its analgesic and antibacterial powers that it helps with joint problems, less inflammation and pain would help keep a healthy body overall...

Just bro science, lol.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 02:46:22 AM »
Well yes i have used Cissus, but i can't say if it did anything for soft tissue as well. Some say it helps, maybe placebo or you have to take it over a longer period of time.

Maybe it is due to its analgesic and antibacterial powers that it helps with joint problems, less inflammation and pain would help keep a healthy body overall...

Just bro science, lol.

Ha-ha...
Thanks.

I used it when I had tendonitis in my elbows, but it literally did nothing for me.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 02:51:25 AM »

Ha-ha...
Thanks.

I used it when I had tendonitis in my elbows, but it literally did nothing for me.

Yeah well, some of those Indian herbs that got hyped in the last years are really more than useless...

Ashwagandha is supposed to reduce pain in knee arthritis patients, anyone ever tried it?

w8m8

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 06:45:25 AM »
There are a ton of other supplements which have scientific data supporting there use for joint health like boswellia serrata

what's your opinion on this ?
I know someone who says taking 5-LOXIN has worked well and given her no gastric issues at all