Author Topic: Moving to Los Angeles... will I survive?  (Read 5219 times)

RamJam

• Getbig II
Moving to Los Angeles... will I survive?
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:53:48 AM »
I am moving to the LA area b/c of my job. I have been a midwesterner for the majority of my life... will I survive in LA, or is it going to be major culture shock for me?  I also drive a Ford F-150. Will I be able to pick up any babes cruising around in it?

Give me some advices...

supernick

• Getbig IV
Re: Moving to Los Angeles...will I survive?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:56:32 AM »
yes, go to venice and live like arnold did.  He had plenty of chicks and apparently still does.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:57:37 AM »
Watch Beverly Hills Cop I and II, they'll tell you everything you need to know.
Y

newmom

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:58:44 AM »
have you ever been out there?

What would normally take you 10 minutes to get to in midwest will take 90 in LA

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:29 AM »
 Most of LA really sucks and the good places are ridiculously expensive.

Great city if you're materialistic and into showing off like a douchebag.

You'll love it for a few months and then you'll learn what it's really all about.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:48 AM »
Hit Golds Venice and cycle up... You'll be fine.  :D

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:04:48 AM »
I am moving to the LA area b/c of my job. I have been a midwesterner for the majority of my life...will I survive in LA, or is it going to be major culture shock for me?

I also drive a Ford F-150. Will I be able to pick up any babes cruising around in it?

Give me some advices...

Translation: I'm losing my source, can someone hook me up?  ;D ;D ;D

RamJam

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:06:04 AM »
Def not materialistic...sounds like I'm screwed haha

I have been out there a few times to look at places to live...I should only be out there for 1-2 years max to manage a project. At least it is not permanent. We will see how it goes...

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 05:12:10 AM »
Def not materialistic...sounds like I'm screwed haha

I have been out there a few times to look at places to live...I should only be out there for 1-2 years max to manage a project. At least it is not permanent. We will see how it goes...

You will turn materialistic out there.

I've seen it a thousand times. The cornfed midwest boy moves to LA driving a big truck with his polite midwest attitude. He slowly turns into a SoCal guido metrosexual douchebag.

It'll happen. You'll find yourself shopping for graphic tees and blingy watches within a month or two.

tlc

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 05:14:28 AM »
LA is a soulless dump, easily my least favourite American city so far. My favourite being Vegas, which is also a shithole, but has no pretensions about it. Good luck! ;)

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:25:06 AM »
LA is a soulless dump, easily my least favourite American city so far. My favourite being Vegas, which is also a shithole, but has no pretensions about it. Good luck! ;)

Agreed.

After living in SoCal for a few years I grew to hate people and lose all faith in humanity. Then after a few years away I returned back to normal.

I vowed that I will never move back there. It's only a good place if you've got a HUGE nestegg or make a HUGE salary. Otherwise it's the shits.

Watch this movie, it'll show you what LA is all about. I felt just like him on most days.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 06:28:29 AM »
Los Angeles has very little to do with Southern California.

Are you actually moving to Southern California or Los Angeles County? If you are actually moving to L.A., you  are making a mistake.

There are plenty of nice, normal places to live in Southern California. Working out in Venice, or even driving there is a joke. Not worth the time unless you look at it like you are visiting a tourist trap once for a few pics. I'd rather take pictures of the homeless people in Venice than the gym. More interesting.

If you aren't used to smog, smoke, congestion, people and an overabundance of traffic and a daily commute, you are in for a surprise. You better get XM/Sirius Sattelite radio (besides your CDs and Ipod) so that you can tolerate hours and hours each week of nothing but asphalt and noise.

Other than that....uhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm mmmmmmm.... L.A. still is on the "sucks" list. Here are two of my favorite sites in "L.A"

1) Making a left onto Gower from Melrose where most times I can't see the Hollywood sign due to the insanely nasty puke-colored smog.

2) Getting on the 101 NB. Headed HOME!!!

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Moving to Los Angeles... will I survive?
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »

Like all cities, Los Angeles has its good and bad.  Keep in mind, there are many subcities in Los Angeles. Santa Monica, Culver City, Woodland Hills, and about 30-50 others.  You have good areas and bad areas.  Cool stuff and crap stuff.  It is all what you get out of it, and what your attitude is.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 06:45:13 AM »
You don't have enough post to make it in the big city.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 06:50:20 AM »
Is Betty going with you?
R

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 06:54:01 AM »
Is Betty going with you?

Betty Lou's getting down tonight ???

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 07:02:46 AM »

Betty Lou's getting down tonight ???

OP = RamJam
R

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 07:10:27 AM »
Agreed.

After living in SoCal for a few years I grew to hate people and lose all faith in humanity. Then after a few years away I returned back to normal.

I vowed that I will never move back there. It's only a good place if you've got a HUGE nestegg or make a HUGE salary. Otherwise it's the shits.

Watch this movie, it'll show you what LA is all about. I felt just like him on most days.

This was a very impressive movie..

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »
I am moving to the LA area b/c of my job. I have been a midwesterner for the majority of my life... will I survive in LA, or is it going to be major culture shock for me?  I also drive a Ford F-150. Will I be able to pick up any babes cruising around in it?

Give me some advices...
Stick to the east coast. West coast fuckers are all delusional.

Smages

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 08:11:38 AM »
I'm a midwesterner that moved to LA over 3 yrs ago. I love it. I still drive my truck and haven't turned into a metrosexual. Traffic sucks if you have to go anywhere during peak times. I'm able to avoid it 99% of the time. There are a million more things to do in LA than any city in the midwest. Hit me up if you want to know where to live and with your budget or any other questions.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »
here is a quick list of what to expect

LA is full of junkies, you will encounter a ton of people who are very spiritual now and part of AA.

Tons of pill poppers, weed smokers, crack heads

Ton of people who claim to know people and really could care less about famous people. Ton of people who think they can act, write or do something for the movie industry.

Ton of moochers, people who will do anything for a free meal

Getting laid there for any guy who looks semi sane is not hard, especially if they think you know someone who knows someone in the movie industry, or some investor or you have money.

In general its full of lazy bum dreamers, people waiting to be discovered. They will be very nice to you if they feel you can offer up something, VERY NICE, if you are from NY for example you will be able to detect off their BS quick.

If you need any work done there, always tell the person its for a movie project, you will get them to show up quicker and sometimes better prices.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »
I like LA as long as I don't have to hop i my car and on a freeway. Fortunately I've always lived in one of the beach cities where driving in traffic was a seldom occurance.

And while working in one of the studios it was usually necessary to get there and start work early when the morning traffic seldom came to a stand-still.

Traffic congestion will be your main concern unless you don't have to drive long distances.

What area will you be living in?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
MUSCULARNY, You've made some interesting and somewhat truthful movie business related remarks in your above post.

In fact some associates are presently working on a script based on some of what you had to say but have been advised to "tone it down a bit' because it makes Hollywood and its 'critters' look too much like demons from hell.

And that script (part 1 of a series) only touches the 'outskirts' of the movie industry and its' schemers as well as the legit "kids" who are trying to get their first big break.

I've been somewhat fortunate to have personally witnessed or been involved with a few Hollywood success stories, but have rarely encountered the 'bad guys' who take advantage of those in Hollywood looking for a chance to be a STAR.

Your post seems to infer that you have run into some of these Hollywood characters and it would be interesting to hear more about it.

Thanks, Mus...NY

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 09:48:05 AM »
Learn to drive to locations without using the freeways... The freeways are always jammed up unless it's between 10pm and 5am.

Personally I love LA... I live out on the west side, close to Venice, but not quite in it, and I love it... Areas like Culver City and Westchester are busy, but not overly so. West Hollywood is nice... If you have a problem with gay people you may not want to go around there after dark, as it's VERY gay friendly... Even rainbows on the sides of the police cruisers there.

Stay off of Sepulveda between the 5 and the 405 during rush hour or you'll regret it.

It won't be a huge culture shock... LA is just another city.... The internet is more shocking than LA is.