Author Topic: Moving to Los Angeles... will I survive?  (Read 5207 times)

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
Re: Moving to Los Angeles...will I survive?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
Agreed.

After living in SoCal for a few years I grew to hate people and lose all faith in humanity. Then after a few years away I returned back to normal.

I vowed that I will never move back there. It's only a good place if you've got a HUGE nestegg or make a HUGE salary. Otherwise it's the shits.

Watch this movie, it'll show you what LA is all about. I felt just like him on most days.

thats why I will never wear a sleveless shirt with a tie

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
Re: Moving to Los Angeles... will I survive?
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
Like all cities, Los Angeles has its good and bad.  Keep in mind, there are many subcities in Los Angeles. Santa Monica, Culver City, Woodland Hills, and about 30-50 others.  You have good areas and bad areas.  Cool stuff and crap stuff.  It is all what you get out of it, and what your attitude is.

Ron - I can't believe you started GetBig.  Do you walk the fence on all subjects?

BlackFlagRedStar - It's obvious you could give a shit about California.  Why post in any thread on the subject?  Let me know in 10 yrs after you have wasted your life with f##kin rednecks in "nothing to do" Kentucky.

Me - I'm loving the thought of San Diego.

newmom

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

San Diego Rocks

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
Wow. I guess I grew up near  a different LA then some of you wen to- ok, it was worse... OC.  Actually hve done the reverse of the  OP.  Started in OC- south of LA, ended up in the midwest- Omaha.   Hate it, never been so bored.  LA you have the beach, the mountains,  Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts,  Six Flags, tons of other stuff.  Midwest there is not  1/4 of that.  Also lived in South Carolina- can't recommend that either, and South Florida, which was good in a lot of ways but like second rate So Cal. I envy you. I wish I could move back.

littlechris

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Wow. I guess I grew up near  a different LA then some of you wen to- ok, it was worse... OC.  Actually hve done the reverse of the  OP.  Started in OC- south of LA, ended up in the midwest- Omaha.   Hate it, never been so bored.  LA you have the beach, the mountains,  Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts,  Six Flags, tons of other stuff.  Midwest there is not  1/4 of that.  Also lived in South Carolina- can't recommend that either, and South Florida, which was good in a lot of ways but like second rate So Cal. I envy you. I wish I could move back.

THIS!
  Also, really depends on where in los angeles county you are going to live. I was born and raised in los angeles county and i LOOOVE it!!  The weather is an average 75 degrees year round with NO humidity! Again, it depends where exactly you are going to live. I prefer teh pasadena/arcadia area, as its still close to l.a. and the neighborhoods are nice.
  As far as the social scene in L.A., well, people can be very fake and into status, sort of like high school mentality.  Lots of single lonely people in Los Angeles. I prefer San Diego, as far as southern california is concerned.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
MUSCULARNY, You've made some interesting and somewhat truthful movie business related remarks in your above post.

In fact some associates are presently working on a script based on some of what you had to say but have been advised to "tone it down a bit' because it makes Hollywood and its 'critters' look too much like demons from hell.

And that script (part 1 of a series) only touches the 'outskirts' of the movie industry and its' schemers as well as the legit "kids" who are trying to get their first big break.

I've been somewhat fortunate to have personally witnessed or been involved with a few Hollywood success stories, but have rarely encountered the 'bad guys' who take advantage of those in Hollywood looking for a chance to be a STAR.

Your post seems to infer that you have run into some of these Hollywood characters and it would be interesting to hear more about it.

Thanks, Mus...NY

1) tone down? if you want to guarantee yourself that you will be another movie whereas you beg people to watch, do things toned down. Learn from whats currently popular, unless you are outrageous and controversial you have 0 chance of someone watching your stuff, and even then you need lots of luck. So TONE nothing down!

ill tell ya 2 funny stories we had in LA

first off I was there for work, needed to spend 3 weeks on a project (non film related), knowing how fast things get done in NY 3 weeks was plenty. But we soon figured out that what takes 3 weeks to get done in NY takes 3 months in LA, and that is if you are lucky.

We figure out that only 3 types of people roll out of bed to do work:

1) People who think the job is movie related

2) People who are a inch away from being kicked out of their home, or are down to 0 dollars and cant buy food

3) Guy / girl looking for his next bag of weed or coke or pills etc. they get desperate and will claim they are artists, painters, wood workers etc

But we also figured out that peoples word there means 0, nada, ziltch!

In addition, if you make the mistake to prepay for work or even give the guy a deposit, you just basically almost guaranteed you will never see them again.

So I am in LA in the valley, the project site is in Encino. I arrive there with 3 guys to help out. We needed people to turn this 3500 sf warehouse space into a setup whereas there is a big space then 1 small room, so all one needed to do is build 2 walls at one of the corners and allow space for a opening (no door). This was part of a larger project, the other parts we where able to do ourselves thank god.

We also needed to add lights in those rooms.

Well we start calling some people for quotes, but no luck, some dont show up, some show up and want crazy money, some show up but have no tools, they are asking us for tools, some we give the ok and they confirm they will come the next day and never show.

We are all standing there like idiots, the client in NY think we are bullshitting them. Its now 5 days and we met a ton of people and none are good for this simple job.

We go to home depot in hopes of picking up a mexican and just buying everything, but we noticed that none spoke even a bit of english. We where about to hire a translator to help us with the mexicans, but then this one guy had an idea.

He said lets go to craigslist and post an ad that we are filming a movie that offers pay + credits, it involves a male handyman that builds a special room in very quick speed, his speed and precision is a turn on for this wealthy lady of the building and she ends up marrying him.

You must be able to build and have references, pay was $800 and you must have the tools, we supply all material.

Within an hour our email box was flooded, tons of headshots, references, some ready to work for free!

This one guy who use to be a set builder had a impressive resume, so we tell him to come in the next AM and be ready to get filmed on the spot building these walls, we will film it then dub it in to the final movie.

That day we went to this store called EVS in glendale, we rented this bulky looking outdated sony beta tape camera, we also rented a dolly. Next block we got 3 directors chairs and some wires and a broken mic.

We setup the place like some film bullshit set, the guy comes in the next day, tools and all, hes so happy he was picked, we did lie and mention some big celeb names that will be in the movie, we told him no title yet.

We told him what we need built, and we said when we say cut he should rest but he must work away as his part is about a guy with mad building skills.

5 hours later, the most amazing walls where standing there.

Till today the guys in NY have no clue what we needed to do to get this done, up until a year ago the guy still called asking when the movie will be released!

Getting the lights done was a whole other headache, we ended up calling this guy from craigslist, he shows up 7PM to look at the job, we give him 150 bucks to get get the wires and whatever, he was suppose to come right back.

45 minutes go by and hes no where to be found. We call and no answer, one of us said, he must of went to a hooker. Back then CL had a erotic section, after calling 10 or so of them claiming its an emergency and if Harry (not his real name) was there or is there, skinny bald guy, one said, oh lord hes here, he gets on the phone hes like who the heck is this, why are you following me, we told him to simply return the money and thats it. No clue how but he came back and left the money in a envelope outside the door.

Those 3 weeks where full of stress, non stop. If I would of known what we needed to go thru to get simple stuff done, I would of recorded the whole experience.

One thing is for sure, there are more sub contractors in LA then there are in the entire USA.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »
Welcome to Mexico

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 03:07:34 PM »
My best friend moved out there after college trying to escape the boons. He was there approximately a year and is now making plans to head to Texas. Shady people, lots of drugs, shallow personalities, and materialism. He says though the worst people are the people who move to L.A. to make it big... not the natives. I have heard enough stories however to never desire to live there. He said he wants to fly me out this year though when im done with my show to check it out. I'd like to see some of the big gyms and maybe a few real clubs.

EZ$

• Getbig II
  • I do curls for the girls
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 03:08:42 PM »
Learn spanish because 90% of people in L.A. are wet backs.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
San Diego Rocks

i know.  that's why it's my next stop.  maybe i can invite you down, and we can flip chaos over and play spinning tops.

douchebag conehead.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
just go

don't worry about what to look for and not look for.

other than that my advice would be to have a job waiting for you

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »
I am moving to the LA area b/c of my job. I have been a midwesterner for the majority of my life... will I survive in LA, or is it going to be major culture shock for me?  I also drive a Ford F-150. Will I be able to pick up any babes cruising around in it?

Give me some advices...

I am def not materialistic...

::)

Maddy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Watchdog
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
1) tone down? if you want to guarantee yourself that you will be another movie whereas you beg people to watch, do things toned down. Learn from whats currently popular, unless you are outrageous and controversial you have 0 chance of someone watching your stuff, and even then you need lots of luck. So TONE nothing down!

ill tell ya 2 funny stories we had in LA

first off I was there for work, needed to spend 3 weeks on a project (non film related), knowing how fast things get done in NY 3 weeks was plenty. But we soon figured out that what takes 3 weeks to get done in NY takes 3 months in LA, and that is if you are lucky.

We figure out that only 3 types of people roll out of bed to do work:

1) People who think the job is movie related

2) People who are a inch away from being kicked out of their home, or are down to 0 dollars and cant buy food

3) Guy / girl looking for his next bag of weed or coke or pills etc. they get desperate and will claim they are artists, painters, wood workers etc

But we also figured out that peoples word there means 0, nada, ziltch!

In addition, if you make the mistake to prepay for work or even give the guy a deposit, you just basically almost guaranteed you will never see them again.

So I am in LA in the valley, the project site is in Encino. I arrive there with 3 guys to help out. We needed people to turn this 3500 sf warehouse space into a setup whereas there is a big space then 1 small room, so all one needed to do is build 2 walls at one of the corners and allow space for a opening (no door). This was part of a larger project, the other parts we where able to do ourselves thank god.

We also needed to add lights in those rooms.

Well we start calling some people for quotes, but no luck, some dont show up, some show up and want crazy money, some show up but have no tools, they are asking us for tools, some we give the ok and they confirm they will come the next day and never show.

We are all standing there like idiots, the client in NY think we are bullshitting them. Its now 5 days and we met a ton of people and none are good for this simple job.

We go to home depot in hopes of picking up a mexican and just buying everything, but we noticed that none spoke even a bit of english. We where about to hire a translator to help us with the mexicans, but then this one guy had an idea.

He said lets go to craigslist and post an ad that we are filming a movie that offers pay + credits, it involves a male handyman that builds a special room in very quick speed, his speed and precision is a turn on for this wealthy lady of the building and she ends up marrying him.

You must be able to build and have references, pay was $800 and you must have the tools, we supply all material.

Within an hour our email box was flooded, tons of headshots, references, some ready to work for free!

This one guy who use to be a set builder had a impressive resume, so we tell him to come in the next AM and be ready to get filmed on the spot building these walls, we will film it then dub it in to the final movie.

That day we went to this store called EVS in glendale, we rented this bulky looking outdated sony beta tape camera, we also rented a dolly. Next block we got 3 directors chairs and some wires and a broken mic.

We setup the place like some film bullshit set, the guy comes in the next day, tools and all, hes so happy he was picked, we did lie and mention some big celeb names that will be in the movie, we told him no title yet.

We told him what we need built, and we said when we say cut he should rest but he must work away as his part is about a guy with mad building skills.

5 hours later, the most amazing walls where standing there.

Till today the guys in NY have no clue what we needed to do to get this done, up until a year ago the guy still called asking when the movie will be released!

Getting the lights done was a whole other headache, we ended up calling this guy from craigslist, he shows up 7PM to look at the job, we give him 150 bucks to get get the wires and whatever, he was suppose to come right back.

45 minutes go by and hes no where to be found. We call and no answer, one of us said, he must of went to a hooker. Back then CL had a erotic section, after calling 10 or so of them claiming its an emergency and if Harry (not his real name) was there or is there, skinny bald guy, one said, oh lord hes here, he gets on the phone hes like who the heck is this, why are you following me, we told him to simply return the money and thats it. No clue how but he came back and left the money in a envelope outside the door.

Those 3 weeks where full of stress, non stop. If I would of known what we needed to go thru to get simple stuff done, I would of recorded the whole experience.

One thing is for sure, there are more sub contractors in LA then there are in the entire USA.

crybaby

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
This was a very impressive movie..

So was "Blood in, Blood out"

'Dark Blue'

'Friday"

"boys in the Hood"

Colors

and many, many more. How many of them that depict true life in South Central is another story. BTW, South Central is much different than downtown, except that they both suck.

newmom

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »

THe only thing cool about Knotts is the Scare fest at Halloween.

newmom

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
LMAO dyslexic, coinky dink we posted similar things. I knew u were a smart cookie

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »

East LA Rules now  :o  because Bush's migration policy

Samantha Esteban

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
fuck no. In fact I can't think of a worse place to live than Los Angelas other than New Jersey. It's a vacation place not somewhere to live. Once I got out of that shithole my life changed for the better. So many better places to live.
l

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 06:19:28 PM »
LMAO dyslexic, coinky dink we posted similar things. I knew u were a smart cookie

Ha ha. I only lived there for 15 years.

Still travel there once a month for the fam. Just got back from Melrose this morning. It was nice down there Monday and Tuesday. Smog wasn't too bad, not too hot, and I got a damn tan.

The only thing that really sucked was that a bunch of our favorite stores are closed and the buildings for lease. Some just moved (like Mayas) but others actually closed.

These stores were built on an era that may never return. Sad.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »
Ron - I can't believe you started GetBig.  Do you walk the fence on all subjects?

BlackFlagRedStar - It's obvious you could give a shit about California.  Why post in any thread on the subject?  Let me know in 10 yrs after you have wasted your life with f##kin rednecks in "nothing to do" Kentucky.

Have fun over there. Let's see if you sink or swim.

I'm not going to Kentucky. Looks like it's Seattle for me probably.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »

What line of work are you looking at in Seattle?

RamJam

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »

::)

glad you picked up on my ironic sarcasm there bud

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2011, 07:21:40 PM »

can you get me drugs? :D