Author Topic: War crimes fugitive Ratko Mladic arrested  (Read 2078 times)

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
War crimes fugitive Ratko Mladic arrested
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:36:03 AM »

Serbian President Boris Tadic confirmed Thursday that Ratko Mladic, Europe's most-wanted war crimes fugitive, has been arrested.

"Today, we close one chapter of our recent history that will bring us one step closer to full reconciliation in the region," Tadic said during a news conference in Belgrade.

"All crimes have to be fully investigated, and all war criminals must face justice."

Tadic said Mladic was arrested in Serbia but declined to go into details.

Mladic is alleged to have led the forces that attacked the Bosnian town of Srebrenica, a UN-declared safe area, in the summer of 1995. In early July that year, more than 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys were executed by Serbian forces, and the town's women and children were driven out of the area.

Mladic is wanted for genocide and has been on the run since 1995, when he was indicted by the UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands.

Prosecutors had complained that Serbia was not doing enough to bring Mladic to justice.

Tadic stressed that the arrest was the result of full co-operation of Serbia with the Hague tribunal.

The arrest of Mladic may have broader implications for Serbia's place in Europe. The European Union made Mladic's arrest a condition of Serbia's bid to become a member of the EU.

Tadic said the process to extradite Mladic to the tribunal in The Hague is underway.

The Serbian president also vowed to do everything to arrest another fugitive, Goran Hadzic, and deliver him to the war crimes tribunal. Tadic said it was "crystal clear" that Hadzic can't hide forever.

Croatian media broke the news of the arrest of Mladic. They reported that Croatian police were told by their Serbian counterparts that DNA analysis confirmed the fugitive's identity. Belgrade's B92 radio said Mladic was detained earlier Thursday in a village near the northern Serbian town of Zrenjanin.

In Brussels, NATO hailed the arrest of Mladic.

"Almost 16 years since his indictment for genocide and other war crimes, his arrest finally offers a chance for justice to be done," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in a statement.

"Gen. Mladic played a key role in some of the darkest episodes of Balkan and European history, including the siege of Sarajevo and the massacre of thousands of Bosnian men and boys in Srebrenica in 1995."

There are media reports that Mladic's arrest came after security forces received a tip, although the identity of the person who informed the authorities has not been revealed.

Serbian authorities had previously offered a reward of almost $14 million US, from the state budget, for information that would lead to his arrest, but it remains unclear if anyone will be eligible to collect the money.

The U.S. State Department had also offered $5 million for information that would lead to Mladic's arrest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/05/26/ratko-mladic-arrest-serbia.html?ref=rss

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Re: War crimes fugitive Ratko Mladic arrested
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:39:48 AM »
he's pretty much the last one on the list that needed to be found for war crimes.

Marcel, have you heard of this :

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/181815/81/Kentucky-woman-Azra-Basic-indicted-for-Bosnian-war-crimes
Deep Tissue Massage

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
I never thought he would be arrested. Remarkable.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:54:37 AM »
he's pretty much the last one on the list that needed to be found for war crimes.

Marcel, have you heard of this :

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/181815/81/Kentucky-woman-Azra-Basic-indicted-for-Bosnian-war-crimes

wow some sick ass bitch, never heard of her.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:57:33 AM »
wow some sick ass bitch, never heard of her.
According to court documents, Basic is charged with fatally stabbing a prisoner in the neck in 1992 during the bloody conflict in eastern Europe. Court documents accuse her of numerous other atrocities, including: setting a prisoner ablaze, pulling out prisoners' fingernails with pliers, ripping off a man's ear with pliers and carving crosses and the letter "S" into another man's flesh.

And she's ugly as hell too..

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 06:58:36 AM »

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:14:05 AM »
we should be forever ashamed of taking the side of the muslims against the serbs in bosnia.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
He looks small.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:33:20 AM »
WOW! Love to war crime updates!!!

:D

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 08:35:37 AM »
If you want to see a video what these "executions" of young men looked like - they filmed it in one instance with about 10 men aged around 18 -25 years old.
All I say is it's pretty heartbreaking seeing them in one line and each has to step up to be shot.

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »

There is still one more left!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 08:45:54 AM »
There is still one more left!

Last time I checked the US didn't line up thousands of young men to be shot and buried in mass graves.

People like you try to come of as radical and intelligent while they really haven't much of a clue what they are talking about.
You're the type of guy that while joining a discussion about the third Reich cannot wait to say "Stalin did much worse to his people than Hitler ever did" because you want to sound "controversial" and want to give the impression that you "think" and swim against the stream, you want people have a go at you so you can trump them with some half invented half learned knowledge from discovery channel.

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 08:53:09 AM »
Last time I checked the US didn't line up thousands of young men to be shot and buried in mass graves.

People like you try to come of as radical and intelligent while they really haven't much of a clue what they are talking about.
You're the type of guy that while joining a discussion about the third Reich cannot wait to say "Stalin did much worse to his people than Hitler ever did" because you want to sound "controversial" and want to give the impression that you "think" and swim against the stream, you want people have a go at you so you can trump them with some half invented half learned knowledge from discovery channel.

You couldn't be more wrong, boy. LOL

Your country is few countries in the world still using torturing as investigation method. Besides North Korea no other country comes to mind where torturing is widely accepted and supported by top politicians.

Not even talking about the illegal wars justified by faked evidence, secret prisons where no human rights exist etc.

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
we should be forever ashamed of taking the side of the muslims against the serbs in bosnia.

Sto postao upravu

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »
I remember watching a video, this was sometime around 90-91 of the conflict just escalating in Croatia.

There were some dudes in cop uniforms (the Croatian army wasn't even set up yet, as skirmishes were still isolated incidents at this point).

Anyways, there was a family driving through a Serbian village in croatia, and they got pulled over...and to make a long story short, the cops were examining the charred remains of the car with the bodies of the family still in it.  I remember one cop crying in the video saying this won't go unpunished.  Kinda fucked up to watch that at 8 years old, but it's (Eastern) Europe, no such thing as censorship over there, at least at that time.

The whole war was somewhat of a success story because the Yugoslavian Army (that turned into the Serbian Army) was in about the top 3 in the world
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_People%27s_Army, 1 million reservists on call), and to not let them just run the country over overnight was a success, much less resist for 5 years.

Which brings up another point: America bashing.  America being called a dictator of the world, ruthless, etc. sure doesn't mean much when F16's came in and ended the war overnight by bombing anything that moved in Serbia.  Many treaties and withdrawals ensued by the end of the week.  I say police away, because most of the world is still too savage.
Deep Tissue Massage

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »
You couldn't be more wrong, boy. LOL

Your country is few countries in the world still using torturing as investigation method. Besides North Korea no other country comes to mind where torturing is widely accepted and supported by top politicians.

Not even talking about the illegal wars justified by faked evidence, secret prisons where no human rights exist etc.

And again you are misinformed,

1) I am not a boy (neither black nor the age to be called a boy)
2) I am German and as far as I can recall the last time we have used torture was in our delightful few years back in 30th and 40th.
3) You are of course assuming that simply because I am not a surrender monkey like the rest of my country I must be automatically a US citizen.
4) The list of countries that still uses some form of torture is larger than the US and north Korea again you highlight your obvious lack of information.
5) There are no legal wars

But most important and pay attention because this is important.

A stealth fighter is not invisible, a JDAM smart bomb is still a bomb, in any war people will die, there is no difference between civilians and combatants, bullets kill indiscriminately, war is never good.

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »

Which brings up another point: America bashing.  America being called a dictator of the world, ruthless, etc. sure doesn't mean much when F16's came in and ended the war overnight by bombing anything that moved in Serbia.  Many treaties and withdrawals ensued by the end of the week.  I say police away, because most of the world is still too savage.

What's bashing in saying US violates international laws by torturing prisoners who live in camps where no human rights exist?

That is a crime against humanity. No way around it.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:07 AM »

Desert storm was an isolated incident, nobody gets that much free pussy in a life time - look at the clusterfuck the Balkan war has
turned out to be.

Gen. Fury

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »
What's bashing in saying US violates international laws by torturing prisoners who live in camps where no human rights exist?

you're just a misguided hippie that wants everybody to roam free and everybody loves each other :D

unfortunately the world doesn't work that way, on this planet we have few winners and a whole lot of losers.

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 09:11:55 AM »
And again you are misinformed,

1) I am not a boy (neither black nor the age to be called a boy)
2) I am German and as far as I can recall the last time we have used torture was in our delightful few years back in 30th and 40th.
3) You are of course assuming that simply because I am not a surrender monkey like the rest of my country I must be automatically a US citizen.
4) The list of countries that still uses some form of torture is larger than the US and north Korea again you highlight your obvious lack of information.
5) There are no legal wars

But most important and pay attention because this is important.

A stealth fighter is not invisible, a JDAM smart bomb is still a bomb, in any war people will die, there is no difference between civilians and combatants, bullets kill indiscriminately, war is never good.

OK, there seems not to be a point in continuing this debate.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »

the US is the one who wrote them and the only one who comes close to following the laws, dildo.

see, with the concept of sovereignity that every country follows and is entitled to, the concept of "international laws" is null and void.

crime against humanity?  let's say there was a court, who would represent humanity?

lay off the pot hippie, and join the real world.
Deep Tissue Massage

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »
you're just a misguided hippie that wants everybody to roam free and everybody loves each other :D

unfortunately the world doesn't work that way, on this planet we have few winners and a whole lot of losers.

shit, beat me to it.  that was kinda hot.

wanna cyber?
Deep Tissue Massage

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »

Oh it amazes me how misinformed you are.... I'm far from hippie LOL

I support the use of raw power as long as it's done with style. Learn from the great Russian Federation!!!

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
the US is the one who wrote them and the only one who comes close to following the laws, dildo.

see, with the concept of sovereignity that every country follows and is entitled to, the concept of "international laws" is null and void.

crime against humanity?  let's say there was a court, who would represent humanity?

lay off the pot hippie, and join the real world.

LOL @ calling me hippie when I have a fighter plane in my avatar  ;D ;D ;D

Talk about stupidity  ;)

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »
I really don't see the problem with dead Taliban  ???

And everybody else getting killed is collateral damage, which is acceptable until you hit a certain threshold.
I mean if you see how these people life you feel like you liberated a whole bunch of them if you turn their
village into glass by a bunch of 500lbs JDAMs.