Author Topic: Last Night's UFC (spoilers inside)  (Read 4838 times)

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Last Night's UFC (spoilers inside)
« on: May 29, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »
 :o How fucking hard is Roy Nelson's chin?! He may have lost the fight because he gassed but DAMN! he took some solid blows. Those elbows When Mir was on top of him had me cringing.

Dissappointed by the Thiago Alves, I fast forwarded through most of that fight hoping to see him KO Story, but to no avail.

That was a cracking KO on Stefan Struve. BOOM!

I was disappointed to see Brian Stann win. I think i don't like the guy purely on the basis he looks like some comic book all american golden boy. It would only be worse if he was blond!

Rampage/Hamill. An okay fight, Rampage was trying to put him to sleep which i don't think i've really seen from him in his past few fights.

chixlegs

• Getbig III
Re: Last Night's UFC (spoilers inside)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Stann does look like a comic book figure, you're right.

The main event was a snoozer.  I thought the Mir/Fatso fight was, too.  I kept flipping back to "Apocolypse Now" during that one.  I didn't pay for the card, so I can't bitch too much, but if I had dumped $45 on that PPV I would have been very very disappointed.  Not very exciting overall.

Hopefully next week's TUF finale on Spike will be more exciting.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »
Pretty boring all round card IMO.Even the Torres v MM fight was a letdown for me in the prelims.Definetly the worst even this year id say.Stann and Browne interest me as to where they go from here.Rampage just looks the same old.I dont think hes ever gona be champ again :)

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
frank mir looked great he should fight again soon

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
he was always my favorite fighter back when i hadnt even heard of the ufc before

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 04:53:18 AM »
Mir looked good but gassed.  Probably had to do w fighting that lard ass Nelson.

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »
I thought that Mir/Big Country fight was incredibly boring.  Same with Rampage/Hamil.  I thought the "co-main events" were really boring.

BIG_O

• Getbig IV
  • Assumptions are the mother of all Fuck-ups.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »
I have watched the Miguel Torres fight 3 times now after the decision to see just what the fuck the judges were thinking.

It's clear to me now. THEY WEREN'T.......

Miguel was more active from the guard in 1 round alone than Demetrius was the entire fight. This just shows fighters that as long as you are on top, you are ahead on the scorecards. Pretty sad because Miguel showed some VERY good aggressive guard skills. His reversals were incredible. While mighty mouse was in his guard Miguel had octagon control, not him. I was very impressed with his performance despite him not finishing Demetrius. I believe he had showed around 3/4's of the entire fight that he had established the better striking, grappling, aggression and octagon control.

Sad day for MMA. I have said it before and I will say it again. I'd rather be judged by a biased fighter as a judge (even with me fighting his team mate) than by one of these idiots.

Glen, Tony, Cecil IMHO should all be taken out back and shot.......those are just a few I can't stand. Theres more of course but you get my drift.

On another note they sure are feeding opponents tailor made for Stann. I'd say put him in with someone like Sonnen and you'll see the true stann come out. Lost on the ground..........Sozynski showed us that.

Rampage looked like typical Rampage. He still looks like Kimbo Slice with great take down defense to me. I'd like to see him press more, shoot in for takedowns and for the love of god man 1 leg kick isn't mixing it up. His hand was fractured not his ankle. Did see 4 elbows. If that's the big change he should retire. Jones would pick him apart if he ever got that title shot with his latest game plans.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
I have watched the Miguel Torres fight 3 times now after the decision to see just what the fuck the judges were thinking.

It's clear to me now. THEY WEREN'T.......

Miguel was more active from the guard in 1 round alone than Demetrius was the entire fight. This just shows fighters that as long as you are on top, you are ahead on the scorecards. Pretty sad because Miguel showed some VERY good aggressive guard skills. His reversals were incredible. While mighty mouse was in his guard Miguel had octagon control, not him. I was very impressed with his performance despite him not finishing Demetrius. I believe he had showed around 3/4's of the entire fight that he had established the better striking, grappling, aggression and octagon control.

Sad day for MMA. I have said it before and I will say it again. I'd rather be judged by a biased fighter as a judge (even with me fighting his team mate) than by one of these idiots.

Glen, Tony, Cecil IMHO should all be taken out back and shot.......those are just a few I can't stand. Theres more of course but you get my drift.

On another note they sure are feeding opponents tailor made for Stann. I'd say put him in with someone like Sonnen and you'll see the true stann come out. Lost on the ground..........Sozynski showed us that.

Rampage looked like typical Rampage. He still looks like Kimbo Slice with great take down defense to me. I'd like to see him press more, shoot in for takedowns and for the love of god man 1 leg kick isn't mixing it up. His hand was fractured not his ankle. Did see 4 elbows. If that's the big change he should retire. Jones would pick him apart if he ever got that title shot with his latest game plans.

With rampage I see it as "If it aint broke don't fix it!" ....all he needs is his cardio and he'll give anybody a hard time(but his window is closing and on the decline obviously).

Jones vs Rampage would be a 5 rd snooze fest. The day Jones tries to finish rampage would be the day he gets his chin tested, so he's going to stay out of harms way for 5 rds, rampage will pick his spots to stalk him and the crowd will boo.

BIG_O

• Getbig IV
  • Assumptions are the mother of all Fuck-ups.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:18:30 AM »
Interesting observation but I don't think it would go down like that. I know Rampage and I love him. Great guy. Hung out with him at SEMA when I was showing my Skyline this year. Promised him a ride when I am in town. He thinks his Audi is fast, lol.....

That being said, I think Jones would use his reach and back him up against the cage and pick him apart. Rampage throws tight punches and his jab isn't really that fast or long. He is not stepping into his punches and with Jones he would have to get inside more and he just hasn't really done that his last few fights and with the incredible reach Jones would have on him, the style rampage has been using lately would not work against Jon. That is just my observation. Rampage would have to press hard, put him on the cage and beat him up. I would use a lot of foot stomps to slow down his movement. In the open he would have to shoot, fake shots and attack the legs. I think the key to beating Jones starts with the legs/feet.

If they do fight, hopefully Rampage would bring a whole new game plan to the table. Because the current one just wouldn't work. That's just my .02.

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 01:48:08 AM »
Interesting observation but I don't think it would go down like that. I know Rampage and I love him. Great guy. Hung out with him at SEMA when I was showing my Skyline this year. Promised him a ride when I am in town. He thinks his Audi is fast, lol.....

That being said, I think Jones would use his reach and back him up against the cage and pick him apart. Rampage throws tight punches and his jab isn't really that fast or long. He is not stepping into his punches and with Jones he would have to get inside more and he just hasn't really done that his last few fights and with the incredible reach Jones would have on him, the style rampage has been using lately would not work against Jon. That is just my observation. Rampage would have to press hard, put him on the cage and beat him up. I would use a lot of foot stomps to slow down his movement. In the open he would have to shoot, fake shots and attack the legs. I think the key to beating Jones starts with the legs/feet.

If they do fight, hopefully Rampage would bring a whole new game plan to the table. Because the current one just wouldn't work. That's just my .02.

Have to agree that Rampage works better inside the pocket. Even against Rashad, who's an undersized light-heavy, he was beaten outclassed with movement in and out. Rogan's got a point when he's calling for Rampage to use more leg kicks as it'll slow down the dancing. Not convinced Rampage is losing focus as people say, I think his recent opponents have countered his predictable style.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 06:10:09 AM »
Ive read a lot of posters about how Rampage will give Jones a fit, etc. 

WAKE UP.

Jones will thrash Rampage.  Rampage did nothing to Hamill, who is so one-dimensional it's pathetic.  Dude holds his hands at his waist, and Page couldn't KO him? 

Jones will make Rampage look terrible.  See Jones v. Rua for a reference. 

The only one that could potentially match up well against Jones is a lightning quick Rashad, or a confusing Machida. 

Rampage is done in this sport.  On saturday night, it was quite evident.

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »

WAKE UP.

Jones will thrash Rampage.  Rampage did nothing to Hamill, who is so one-dimensional it's pathetic.  Dude holds his hands at his waist, and Page couldn't KO him? 

The only one that could potentially match up well against Jones is a lightning quick Rashad, or a confusing Machida. 

Yeah, I don't see the same guy who used to slam people to the ground in Pride.  Rampage has lost a step, and some aggression I think.  He was ready to quit the sport to pursue acting when that "A-Team" debacle came about.  I think Bones Jones will destroy him.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 06:49:12 AM »
Thing is, is that for Rampage to win a fight, he has to get in and punch aggressively.  He somewhat did that to Hamill, who stayed on his feet etc.

With Jones, that reach with both arms and legs will be enough to keep Page at bay.  It will go down very much like Jones/Rua.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 07:41:57 AM »
205 sux !

the UFC's in a major funk right now and I honestly don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »
Hopefully they will allow some strikeforce 205'ers to come in and fight.  SHould fill some holes here and there.  Outside of Machida and maybe Evans, I don't see anyone touching Jones. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:42 PM »

WAKE UP.

I agreed with this entire post up until the last two lines. Rampage is still a top 5 fighter at 205 and is nowhere near done in the sport. The only guys I think that are clearly better than him are Shogun and Jones. I would bet my life savings he would own Rashad in a rematch. He already has beaten the entire division except Forrest-- who I would also bet the house Rampage would destroy in a rematch. Will he beat Jones? No shot in hell. Would he beat Shogun? Punchers chance at best. In my estimation, he and Lyoto are virtually tied for number 3 in what is the most competitive division in MMA.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 06:14:41 AM »
Rampage hasn't been the old Pride fighter in years.  He is ineffective these days.  Yes, he beat Machida, but that was a rarity.  He should've finished Hamill.  The UFC totally threw him a bone in that fight and he didn't do jack. 

There is no way Rampage wins over Evans.  Evans is way too fast for him and has the better ground game.  Just the better athelete.  Page is slow and one dimensional in my book.

Top five UFC LH's imo:
1.  Jones
2.  Rua
3.  Machida
4.  Evans
5.  Griffin (not so much for skill, but for ability to grind out fights and HUGE heart to not give in) 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 06:27:55 AM »
Rampage hasn't been the old Pride fighter in years.  He is ineffective these days.  Yes, he beat Machida, but that was a rarity.  He should've finished Hamill.  The UFC totally threw him a bone in that fight and he didn't do jack. 

There is no way Rampage wins over Evans.  Evans is way too fast for him and has the better ground game.  Just the better athelete.  Page is slow and one dimensional in my book.

Top five UFC LH's imo:
1.  Jones
2.  Rua
3.  Machida
4.  Evans
5.  Griffin (not so much for skill, but for ability to grind out fights and HUGE heart to not give in) 

He's 7-2 in the UFC. He was clearly injured when he lost to Forrest and clearly out of shape when he lost to Rashad. He will be very motivated and angry for both fights; while Rashad is the better athlete, Rampage is 10x the fighter. Rampage is not slow at all-- and if he's one dimensional, at least its with his fists. Griffin does not belong in the top 5 at all.

This is all a moot point anyway. Rampage fights Jones next and is going to get his ass kicked.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 06:48:21 AM »
He's 7-2 in the UFC. He was clearly injured when he lost to Forrest and clearly out of shape when he lost to Rashad. He will be very motivated and angry for both fights; while Rashad is the better athlete, Rampage is 10x the fighter. Rampage is not slow at all-- and if he's one dimensional, at least its with his fists. Griffin does not belong in the top 5 at all.

This is all a moot point anyway. Rampage fights Jones next and is going to get his ass kicked.

I agree with this. (and only this)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 11:37:37 AM »
:o How fucking hard is Roy Nelson's chin?! He may have lost the fight because he gassed but DAMN! he took some solid blows. Those elbows When Mir was on top of him had me cringing.

Dissappointed by the Thiago Alves, I fast forwarded through most of that fight hoping to see him KO Story, but to no avail.

That was a cracking KO on Stefan Struve. BOOM!

I was disappointed to see Brian Stann win. I think i don't like the guy purely on the basis he looks like some comic book all american golden boy. It would only be worse if he was blond!

Rampage/Hamill. An okay fight, Rampage was trying to put him to sleep which i don't think i've really seen from him in his past few fights.

All solid points.  I especially agree with the Stan comments...lol.
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »
Mir looked good but gassed.  Probably had to do w fighting that lard ass Nelson.

Frank had an injured rib.  Nelson has walking pneumonia.
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
Frank had an injured rib.  Nelson has walking pneumonia.

Props for still fighting.  I had this about 6 months ago.  Lasted about 2.5 months.  Couldn't breathe and/or catch my breath.