Author Topic: MET-Rx:  (Read 5838 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
MET-Rx:
« on: May 31, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
Is anyone using MET-Rx MRP’s (or any other of their products) these days?

Feedback?

Purge_WTF

Re: MET-Rx:
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »
  I have one of their RTD once in a while. One of the most established and reliable companies in the business, IMO.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
 I have one of their RTD once in a while. One of the most established and reliable companies in the business, IMO.

Montague ? 8)
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:52:31 PM »

Okay, thanks.

Montague ? 8)

Thank you!
That’s quite a stately & dignified compliment for a guy who mods a board devoted to grown men in spandex pretending to fight.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:34:09 AM »
Is anyone using MET-Rx MRP’s (or any other of their products) these days?

Feedback?

Of all the MRP out there, Met-Rx has the worst nutritional profile. If you look back at the list of ingredients, you'll see partially hydrogenated palm oil, artificial flavors, artificial colors, MCT, sucrose(table sugar), maltodextrin and other garbage. Met-Rx wasn't good even by the stadards of 1994, and in 2011 you can get much better stuff than it...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:37:19 AM »
 Of all the MRP out there, Met-Rx has the worst nutritional profile. If you look back at the list of ingredients, you'll see partially hydrogenated palm oil, artificial flavors, artificial colors, MCT, sucrose(table sugar), maltodextrin and other garbage. Met-Rx wasn't good even by the stadards of 1994, and in 2011 you can get much better stuff than it...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

so fill us in, don't let us die, what's the best MRP in your opinion?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:22 AM »
so fill us in, don't let us die, what's the best MRP in your opinion?

I removed the insult from your post, as this is not allowed in this board.

IMO, the best meal-replacement product out there is "Nature's Best". It contains 50 grams of protein per serving, all of which is from isolated whey peptides, the highest quality of all whey proteins, moderate carbs from medium glycemic cabs - not high glycemic sugar like in other MRPs - and zero fats which means no hydrogenated trans fats. And even though some flavors contain artificial colors, the neutral flavor contains none.

I think EAS' "Myoplex Deluxe" was even better as it contained CLA, HMB and essential fatty acids, but it also contained some bad things like sucrose, so I am not sure about it being better than Nature's Best MRP. Also, EAS went under, so it's not like it is still on the running.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:46 AM »
thanks

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 06:26:57 AM »

Montague ? 8)

Perhaps I misunderstood her highness’s quote.
Princess knew that I’d recently received info from an “industry person” and I believe she was seeking my response derived from that input.
So, to go along with our comparisons & discussions…

I was most interested in the Metamyosyn blend MET-Rx is currently using.
There were three of us in college who used the original MRP’s (back around ‘99/’00), and we grew well on the stuff.
We tried other brands, too, but always came back to the MET-Rx…until Rexall bought the co. from Connelly and changed the formula; I believe they removed the casein, among other things.

There was a noticeable difference in texture, taste, and most importantly, results.
I recently saw that MET-Rx is advertising using the “Connelly Metamyosyn” formula in their MRP’s again, and I wanted to know how the product truly stacked up against the original inception.

I asked someone “in-the-know” about it, and this was the response:

I haven't done an actual lab analysis on it, but I can tell you that according to Connelly himself, the formula was "cost optimized" once Rexall bought the company.  This is not uncommon when a company buys a brand.  They look for ways to enhance margins, often at the expense of product quality.  The original Metamyosyn was a very costly formula.  If they did in fact cheapen it, I would not be surprised.  Keep in mind, that these same twits also launch a MET-Rx "soy" protein, which went against everything Connelly preached.

From my own experience, I don't get the same results from the product that I used to get.  I stopped using it years ago.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:47:48 AM »
Ya MetRx is a very differen forumla from when it was in its first few years.  In fact a lot of people view the industry in two different eras..before MetRx and after MetRx..was certainly a game changer.  Now its owned by Rexall who I believe is owned by NBTY..owners of Vitamin World, Puritans Pride, ect..as mentioned it pretty much was turned into a much more "economical" formula and is no different than any other protein/MRP sitting on the shelves today.

Hey anyone remember MetRx w HMB..used to love that product..HMB by itself did nothing for me but in MetRx it was a really unique supplement.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 07:00:39 AM »
And I even found the ad for it from the mid 90s

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 07:05:06 AM »
Hey anyone remember MetRx w HMB..used to love that product..HMB by itself did nothing for me but in MetRx it was a really unique supplement.

I occasionally take 1g of HMB before weight training and actually experience a slight, but noticeable bump in strength output.

It’s recommended to take HMB several times throughout the day.
I’m considering trying this in the Fall.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:52:34 PM »

I occasionally take 1g of HMB before weight training and actually experience a slight, but noticeable bump in strength output.

It’s recommended to take HMB several times throughout the day.
I’m considering trying this in the Fall.

Thats the wierd thing about it.  The pills did nothing for me..I suspect they didnt do much for most people as HMB went down as pretty big disappointment..and after Bill Phillips made a few million dollars off it.  You might wanna consider some heavy Leucine as an alternative if you decide not to go with the HMB.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:54:14 AM »
Thats the wierd thing about it.  The pills did nothing for me..I suspect they didnt do much for most people as HMB went down as pretty big disappointment..and after Bill Phillips made a few million dollars off it.  You might wanna consider some heavy Leucine as an alternative if you decide not to go with the HMB.

Did Leucine work for you, but not HMB?

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 05:50:08 AM »
Put it this way..maybe its mental but if i take between 15-20 grams of Leucine per day (in powder form) I seem to be less sore and can recover faster..i havnt used HMB in well over a decade but I tried it a few times back when it was the big thing in the mid 90s.

Thats whats baffling about it and why I miss the old MetRx formula.  It worked so much better than the pills and leaned out so easily with it.  I remember it was really expensive back in the mid 90s and you had to drink 2 per day ideally.  At the time I worked at GNC right out of highschool so I was able to get it fairly cheap (they would start marking it down once it was 6 months out from expiration plus and employee discount so I used to stock up).

It seems like some company always tries to bring HMB back every few years and it never really catches on .  Anyone that remembers the mid 90s industry, Bill Phillips was promoting this stuff hardcore in Muscle Media 2000 and it never lived up to the hype..not even close.  I remember he said something along the lines of "feeling like he was on deca" or something to that effect..everyone pretty much knew they were getting burnt at that point.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 07:02:19 AM »
Put it this way..maybe its mental but if i take between 15-20 grams of Leucine per day (in powder form) I seem to be less sore and can recover faster..i havnt used HMB in well over a decade but I tried it a few times back when it was the big thing in the mid 90s.

Thats whats baffling about it and why I miss the old MetRx formula.  It worked so much better than the pills and leaned out so easily with it.  I remember it was really expensive back in the mid 90s and you had to drink 2 per day ideally.  At the time I worked at GNC right out of highschool so I was able to get it fairly cheap (they would start marking it down once it was 6 months out from expiration plus and employee discount so I used to stock up).

It seems like some company always tries to bring HMB back every few years and it never really catches on .  Anyone that remembers the mid 90s industry, Bill Phillips was promoting this stuff hardcore in Muscle Media 2000 and it never lived up to the hype..not even close.  I remember he said something along the lines of "feeling like he was on deca" or something to that effect..everyone pretty much knew they were getting burnt at that point.

Interesting.
When you took the caps, did you take them with food or a shake?

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

Interesting.
When you took the caps, did you take them with food or a shake?

If remember I tried to simulate what I was able to accomplish with MetRx by taking the caps with a shake (Myoplex if I remember correctly) but I also had tried it with food at times too..just never panned out.. :-\

If your interested I dug up this article from T-Nation talking about MetRx, HMB, Phillips, ect...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_grok/the_history_of_the_supplement_industry_part_ii

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 11:14:33 AM »
If remember I tried to simulate what I was able to accomplish with MetRx by taking the caps with a shake (Myoplex if I remember correctly) but I also had tried it with food at times too..just never panned out.. :-\

If your interested I dug up this article from T-Nation talking about MetRx, HMB, Phillips, ect...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_grok/the_history_of_the_supplement_industry_part_ii

Thanks!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
And I even found the ad for it from the mid 90s

Yes, I am sure that Met-Rx with HMB was what allowed Ronnie to make his transformation from a guy who could barely place in the lesser shows to the 260 lbs at 2% bodyfat superior bodybuilder that would win the 1996 CPC and then the Mr.Olympia in 1998.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
when Met-rx originally came out it had creatine in it

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 08:22:05 PM »
  Yes, I am sure that Met-Rx with HMB was what allowed Ronnie to make his transformation from a guy who could barely place in the lesser shows to the 260 lbs at 2% bodyfat superior bodybuilder that would win the 1996 CPC and then the Mr.Olympia in 1998.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think he stacked it with creatine.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Bro it was a reaaally potent formula..lol.  Ya it was MetRx w/HMB..he just failed to mention anything else that may have found its way into his system.  Dont think we'll ever see supplement ads move away from those tactics. 

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »

Same result. Went through 2 bottles. Nada

suckmymuscle

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think he stacked it with creatine.

I remember the exact slogan for Met-Rx for the 1990s ad featuring Ronnie:

"Using the new Met-Rx with HMB, Ronnie Coleman would gain 20 lbs of lean muscle to win the 1996 Canada Pro Cup."

Scott Connely approved......

SUCKMYMUSCLE