Author Topic: Gov. Christie Thinks A Family Making $6,000 A Year Is Too Rich To Qualify For Me  (Read 906 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/06/02/231147/christie-medicaid-recipients-rich/?sms_ss=reddit&at_xt=4de7aaa486305227,0

Gov. Christie Thinks A Family Making $6,000 A Year Is Too Rich To Qualify For Medicaid

By Marie Diamond on Jun 2, 2011 at 10:00 am

Despite recent polls that show Americans are just as protective of Medicaid as they are of Medicare, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) is trying to gut the popular program in his state and prevent 23,000 people from receiving benefits. Christie has proposed cutting Medicaid eligibility to absurdly low levels: from the current maximum income of $24,645 to $5,317 a year for a family of three. Apparently, the governor believes a family of three making $6,000 a year is simply too rich to receive Medicaid.

The New Jersey press has reported that the main effect of his proposal would be to slash help for the working poor, tearing a huge hole in the state’s social safety net:

Adults in a family of three that makes as little as $103 a week would earn too much to qualify for health care provided by Medicaid under a sharply curtailed program Gov. Chris Christie wants the federal government to approve this year, according to state officials and advocates briefed on the proposal.[...]

The Christie administration is expected to propose cutting the maximum income level of Medicaid from $24,645 to $5,317 a year for a family of three [...]

“That is about a third of the poverty level,” Castro said. “That means that an uninsured parent working full time at a minimum-wage job wouldn’t be eligible. … A parent who works half-time for minimum wage wouldn’t even qualify.

“Unfortunately, the only way these parents can become eligible for health coverage in the future is if the parent applies for and is eligible for welfare,” Castro added. “That sends the wrong message.”

Democratic lawmakers are furious that Christie is insisting on making $300 million in cuts on the backs of poor and disabled residents. They point out that apart from the morally bankrupt idea of denying care to the neediest population, having more people uninsured will ultimately be more costly for New Jersey.

“Those 23,000 people are going to get sick this year,” said Louis Greenwald (D), a committee chairman. “Where are you suggesting they’re going to go?”

State Sen. Joseph Vitale (D), who sponsored the legislation creating FamilyCare in 1998, explained, “This completely dismantles the progress made over the last 12 years, and then some…I can’t imagine how it could be any worse.”

Since Medicaid — which provides health care services to at-risk populations including the indigent, blind and disabled — is jointly funded by the federal government, states must apply for a waiver before making major changes. That means Obama administration officials can still block Christie’s radical attempts to curtail enrollment.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Good.  Medicaid is another massive scam and drain on the middle class taxpayer.   The sad thing is that it will drive most of those bums over to NY where we already are getting raped with taxes to pay for this shit.   

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Good.  Medicaid is another massive scam and drain on the middle class taxpayer.   The sad thing is that it will drive most of those bums over to NY where we already are getting raped with taxes to pay for this shit.   

obama did it

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
obama did it

He definately is not helping it.   

Medicaid is one of the main drivers of property taxes in NY and NJ, where were are geting killed.   NJ and NY have 13 of the top 15 property tax rates in large part due to overly generous medicaid payouts.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Christie is the man.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Wow talked about swinging the pendulum too far!
Abandon every hope...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
$6,000 is probably tubby's monthly doughnut bill

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Lol Straw

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Someone in public office making tough choices in an attempt to control spending of taxpayer money.  Good for him.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Someone in public office making tough choices in an attempt to control spending of taxpayer money.  Good for him.

WWJD

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
WWJD

Make a number of people on welfare get a job? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Make a number of people on welfare get a job?  

this will likely increase the people on welfare

let's say you're a single mother with two shit part time jobs, neither of which offer health care

you don't make enough money to purchase healthcare and you've got a child with a chronic illness, let's say asthma

The only way you can get meds and treatment for your kid is via medicaid but your two shit jobs pay you 22k a year

If this measure by Christie goes through your kid might die from an asthma attack that could have been easily treated

So do you let your kid suffer and maybe even die or do you quit your job and go on welfare so you can qualify for Medicaid ?

I know the "family values" and "sanctity of life" crowd will say tough shit.   Call us back when there is a fetus involved and we'll be outraged

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Good build on that guy.
I hate the State.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Good build on that guy.

his center of gravity is almost perfect

tonymctones

• Getbig V
this will likely increase the people on welfare

let's say you're a single mother with two shit part time jobs, neither of which offer health care

you don't make enough money to purchase healthcare and you've got a child with a chronic illness, let's say asthma

The only way you can get meds and treatment for your kid is via medicaid but your two shit jobs pay you 22k a year

If this measure by Christie goes through your kid might die from an asthma attack that could have been easily treated

So do you let your kid suffer and maybe even die or do you quit your job and go on welfare so you can qualify for Medicaid ?

I know the "family values" and "sanctity of life" crowd will say tough shit.   Call us back when there is a fetus involved and we'll be outraged

so youd rather obamas plan, which will add all part time employees time together and make the company pay the penalty for the equivelant full time employees?

LMFAO

trust obama is making a bad situation far worse broham

Skip8282

• Getbig V

I know the "family values" and "sanctity of life" crowd will say tough shit.   Call us back when there is a fetus involved and we'll be outraged

::)

Adults moron.  He wants to cut adults.  Children will continue to be covered.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
$6,000 is probably tubby's monthly doughnut bill

Hide that white face and I'd swear it's Michelle Obama.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

::)
Adults moron.  He wants to cut adults.  Children will continue to be covered.

fine

change the person with the chronic illness to the mother

she works 2 shit jobs and makes 22k and would no longer be eligible for Medicaid

without Medicaid she may die from a condition that could be easily managed with access to basic health care

Assuming she is actually cares about staying alive and raising her kids she might make the choice to quit her jobs and go on welfare so that she can't get qualify for Medicaid and stay alive.

She's prefer to work but virtually any job she get's means she is no longer qualified for Medicaid and she can't afford health insurance

Her best option for staying alive is to quit her jobs and go on welfare

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Let her move to another state if she does not like it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Let her move to another state if she does not like it.

so quit her jobs and move to another state

and when she get's there she goes on welfare and starts looking for a new job and hope to get one

great idea

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
so quit her jobs and move to another state

and when she get's there she goes on welfare and starts looking for a new job and hope to get one

great idea

this "guy" is so 1 dimensional its not even funny... this "guy" looks at an issue from 1 view depending on th the issue... i told you he was really 15 years old.. im convinced now

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yawn.  Since when is welfare an entitlment and right?  If the state can't afford it - too bad.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I'm surprised his health image doesn't affect his popularity, morbidly obese people usually don't make good public figures.
I hate the State.