Author Topic: Sam Harris Explains The Dilemmas Of Free Will  (Read 5349 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Sam Harris Explains The Dilemmas Of Free Will
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
I hate the State.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
Re: Sam Harris Explains The Dilemmas Of Free Will
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »
our actions are a product of our experiences and genetics
there is no free will, its all predetermined

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »

Genetics=everything
I hate the State.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
fuckin idiot ;D  neural activity is the cause of what ?  

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
there is no free will, its all predetermined
nope.  everything is a choice my friend. you decide. you only have what you experienced a your hands, and most people will make the same decisions given the same experiences, but in the end its always a choice.   :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »
fuckin idiot ;D  neural activity is the cause of what ?  

You are really on a roll here; he only has studied this for years and has a PhD in neuroscience.

Been smoking weed too much?
I hate the State.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
nope.  everything is a choice my friend. you decide. you only have what you experienced a your hands, and most people will make the same decisions given the same experiences, but in the end its always a choice.   :)

dude, arent you the guy who likes being plouged in the ass then refer to it as an anal massage?
Your choice is predetermined, why the heck would we choose a different option if our prior experiences and genetics lean towards to the obvious choice?
If given the choice you would want to be Mr Olympia, you sure as hell arent going to say no are you, a testament to your prior experience in bodybuilding. 

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
Depends on whether you are a Calvinist or not....

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »
You are really on a roll here; he only has studied this for years and has a PhD in neuroscience.

Are you saying that because candiedcolon's parents were drug addicted bisexuals that he became a drug addicted bisexual?

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 07:30:37 PM »
You are born with prewiring eg. Computer with Hardware but you can still have things loaded on eg Software  :)

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Actually been reading a lot on this lately, the things that happen in the womb determine if someone is to be a Transexual, Gay, Horny ass Male or somewhere inbetween like a male with some female tendencies. Knocking someone for being Gay is like knocking someone for having shit calfs.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
Actually been reading a lot on this lately, the things that happen in the womb determine if someone is to be a Transexual, Gay, Horny ass Male or somewhere inbetween like a male with some female tendencies. Knocking someone for being Gay is like knocking someone for having shit calfs.
Are you trying to say Candycolon is largely a product of the food (honey buns and fried foods), alcohol/ cigarettes, and other drugs his momma was using while pregnant with that little parasite?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 09:15:24 PM »
Depends on whether you are a Calvinist or not....

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »

what exactly is neurological activity the cause of? he says, decisions are made by neural activity moments before we know what we are going to decide...    so what exactly are 'we' then?  in his scenario there is no "we" and his referance to such a "we" or "secondary, nondeciding decider" is illogical if we are to assume truth in his first statement. if we have no free will, if all we are is our neural activity, then we dont exist at all outside of that neural activity, and saying "the decisions are made at the nueral level before we actually make them ourselves" is pure nonsense.  there is no entity that makes trhe decisions after the decisions have been made. ther eis no human experience, there is no consciousness. doe syour computer think? does it experience being a computer?  :)  ;)  pull your head out of your ass you negative thinking clown

dude, arent you the guy who likes being plouged in the ass then refer to it as an anal massage?
Your choice is predetermined, why the heck would we choose a different option if our prior experiences and genetics lean towards to the obvious choice?
If given the choice you would want to be Mr Olympia, you sure as hell arent going to say no are you, a testament to your prior experience in bodybuilding. 
good question. why would we choose to do something different that what our experience and our genetics are telling us to do? we generally wouldnt... unless we feel like it of course.  :D you have the will to do whatever you please. try it out. change something about yourself, about the way you think, about the way you live your life, or about your attiude. do it today. and watch.  :)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 11:43:14 PM »
nope.  everything is a choice my friend. you decide. you only have what you experienced a your hands, and most people will make the same decisions given the same experiences, but in the end its always a choice.   :)

My brain fires in a certain way. Whether I want to change the way my brain fires or not, is up to how my brain fires. How can I have a free will?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 12:01:56 AM »

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 02:32:06 AM »
What a bunch of fucking nonsense.

The guy is simply using a few plays on logic to make it look as if we don't have free will.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 02:38:12 AM »

I find you fairly annoying, but in comparison to tbombz you're a joy!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 03:15:25 AM »
I find you fairly annoying, but in comparison to tbombz you're a joy!

It's impossible in life for everyone to like you. That said, I bear you no ill will whatsoever.
I hate the State.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 04:37:26 AM »
It's impossible in life for everyone to like you. That said, I bear you no ill will whatsoever.

You're extremely intelligent, and most of the time you post very interesting stuff.  Sometimes you get a little repetitive.  I respect you, and wish more americans shared your political views.

Sorry if I came off rude!