Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL GREATEST EPISODES OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE THREAD  (Read 2046 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
THE OFFICIAL GREATEST EPISODES OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE THREAD
« on: June 05, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
I'm sure all of you remember the old twilight zone show...I grew up watching that show and was amazed at how good the stories were on that show..very well-written and thought-provoking...and the shows still hold up well today....Rod Serling was a genius and ahead of his time.....how about we all list our top favorite episodes of all time....

in no particular order here are my favorites...sorry for having so many....the show was that good.....

1. Time Enough at Last....guy finds stop watch which can halt time.
2. The Living Doll with Telly Savalas about a children's doll that torments a cruel step-father
3. The Howling Man...how a guy sets a prisoner free and finds out later he is the devil
4. Nightmare at 20,000 feet with William Shatner about a guy who sees a monster on a plane
5. To Serve Man..aliens come to earth to serve man but actually have a different agenda
5. The Hitchhiker...a woman keeps seeing the same hitchhiker over and over again
7. The Afterhours..women goes into a department store and mannequins come to life
8. The Chaser..A guy buys a love potion to win the love of a woman who hates him
9. A Stop at Willoughby..a man on a train ride is surprised to find that the train stops at his hometown
10. People are Alike all over..two guys fly to Mars and find that the people there are as bad as humans
11. Mirror Image..a woman thinks she sees her twin from a parallel universe at a bus station
12. The Purple Testament..a man develops the ability to see death in the face of a person before he dies
13. The fever.. A grumpy old man becomes addicted to gambling at a slot machine
14. Third from the sun..two families try to escape a planet in a spaceship before a nuclear war
15. The Obsolete Man,,in the future a man stands up to the state after being declared obsolete
16. The Silence...a guy accepts a bet that he can't keep his mouth shut for one year
17. The Rip Van winkle Caper..four men do a gold robbery and then transport themselves in to the future
18. Long Distance Call..a boy talks to his dead grandmother on a toy telephone
19. Twenty-two..a patient has a recurring dream of following a nurse into the morgue
20. The Invaders...a woman battles miniature aliens in her home
21. Eye of the Beholder..A woman's beauty makes her a freak in a future society
22. Young Man's Fancy..a mama's boy and his wife return to his childhood home  
23. Nothing in the Dark..an old woman waits in an abandoned building to die
24. Five Character's in Search of an Exit..a clown, soldier, bagpipe player, ballerina and hobo are trapped
25, The Midnight sun...Earth leaves its orbit and heads towards the sun
26. Its a Good Life..a 6 year old controls a whole town with his thoughts
27. The Grave.. a cowboy takes a bet to visit the grave of a man who swore vengence on him
28. Come Wander with Me..a folksinger travels to the backwoods to find a hit song
29. I am the Night..color me Black..for some reason the sun does not come out the next day
30.. Uncle Simon..a wealthy old man creates a robot to make things difficult for his niece after his death

any of these a favorite for any of you?..discuss...or add your own

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: THE OFFICIAL GREATEST EPISODES OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE THREAD
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
oh come on!!!!..you can't tell me there are no Twilight Zone fans here?????

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
I love the old Twilight Zone. When I was a kid and watched Nightmare at 20,000 ft and Shatner opened those blinds to that face pressed up against the glass I nearly shit my pants. The two that really stuck with me over the years though were the one were the burglars steal a bunch of gold bars and go into the future, (won't ruin the story by giving more then that) and the one where the two rich guys make a beat that the other guy can't talk for a year. Great stuff.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »
I wasn't a TV fan but I can sort of recall possibly two ...

One is about two guys landing on a distant planet and some  big old lady steps on their flying saucer.

And the other was some story about a bratty kid who made his mom's mouth disappear.

Am I even close?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:11:26 AM »
I love the old Twilight Zone. When I was a kid and watched Nightmare at 20,000 ft and Shatner opened those blinds to that face pressed up against the glass I nearly shit my pants. The two that really stuck with me over the years though were the one were the burglars steal a bunch of gold bars and go into the future, (won't ruin the story by giving more then that) and the one where the two rich guys make a beat that the other guy can't talk for a year. Great stuff.

I loved those two episodes as well......they were very ironic stories, which Rod Serling was a genius at writing....those episodes still give me the chills today and you can watch them over and over without getting tired of them..thats how you can tell the the stories and writing were so good

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
I wasn't a TV fan but I can sort of recall possibly two ...

One is about two guys landing on a distant planet and some  big old lady steps on their flying saucer.

And the other was some story about a bratty kid who made his mom's mouth disappear.

Am I even close?

oh yes...good memory..both of those episodes are on my list above....#20 and #26 on my list were the episodes you are referring to..they were very good..excellent choices

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:21:15 AM »
Good show right there,i remember the doll, the plane one, and the stop watch one, may have to go back and re watch all those episodes!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »
Good show right there,i remember the doll, the plane one, and the stop watch one, may have to go back and re watch all those episodes!

they are all really great and they stand up well today.....better to buy the DVD.....some episodes had a few minutes cut out for extra TV commercials

Purge_WTF

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
  What about the "Kick The Can" one, where the folks in the rest home all turn young and vanish into the woods? That was good.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
possibly the greatest television show ever.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

oh yes...good memory..both of those episodes are on my list above....#20 and #26 on my list were the episodes you are referring to..they were very good..excellent choices

That creepy kid was in a few different episodes.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 04:15:42 PM »
  What about the "Kick The Can" one, where the folks in the rest home all turn young and vanish into the woods? That was good.

you're right, that was a good one as well..what made it so great was that they all turned young and left that other old geiser behind to die of old age because he didn't believe..

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »

I do think you're right..can you remember the other episodes he was in?..

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 04:18:05 PM »
possibly the greatest television show ever.

definitely....a great show that was way before its time

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »
I do think you're right..can you remember the other episodes he was in?..

He was in the episode that was already mentioned where the town people are scared shitless around the kid and never want to make him angry and he was in the episode where his grandmother dies but continues calling him on the toy phone becasue she wants the kid to kill himself so he can be with her again.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
He was in the episode that was already mentioned where the town people are scared shitless around the kid and never want to make him angry and he was in the episode where his grandmother dies but continues calling him on the toy phone becasue she wants the kid to kill himself so he can be with her again.

oh yes..you're right..good memory!!! :)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 02:07:30 AM »
I own the box set.......show still holds up after all these years though not nearly as scary as when I was a kid.

Beats the fuck out of todays "reality" TV !!  :(

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 02:09:33 AM »
That kid was Billy Mummy who also played in another TZ episode with Jack Klugman........."A Game Of Pool" I think is the title.

He was a main character on the old "Lost In Space" series too.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 02:14:50 AM »
I own the box set.......show still holds up after all these years though not nearly as scary as when I was a kid.

Beats the fuck out of todays "reality" TV !!  :(

you're right...it really does hold up surprisingly well.....its amazing how much of a coherent and well thought-out story Rod Serling was able to tell in only 30 minutes.....and you're right it beats the hell out of the mindless reality TV shown today

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 02:17:21 AM »
That kid was Billy Mummy who also played in another TZ episode with Jack Klugman........."A Game Of Pool" I think is the title.

He was a main character on the old "Lost In Space" series too.

right again....I also loved "Lost in Space" as a kid as well...wow..those were certainly the good old days of TV..I guess we loved these shows so much because there was nothing else to do then...plus the shows were intelligent and well done...Dr. Smith has got to be one of the greatest characters on TV ever