Author Topic: Why won't the major IFBB contests add a live scoreboard?  (Read 1789 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Why won't the major IFBB contests add a live scoreboard?
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »
This question has yet to be answered.  

Discuss.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Why won't the major IFBB contests add a live scoreboard?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »
I guess this is why....

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
Because then they can't go back and change their scores. DUH.

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »
You think that would add credibility as a 'sport' but can you imagine Chicks commentary....

'A large black male in the audience is screaming at the judges.  Oh my, this is really becoming a scene as it looks like the man is making his way to the judges table.   I've just been informed that the mans name is Tre, and he's clearly very upset that Lori received a 2 for symmetry.'

::) :-\

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
Every BB contest should have a live scoreboard.
There should always be an award given for “best poser.”
There should always be an award given for “most muscular.”
I think contests should also allow some kind of audience ballot.  That is to say, the combined audience vote equals one vote from the judges table.

Anglo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »

Bring back the "posing round"

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 01:03:46 PM »
Every BB contest should have a live scoreboard.
There should always be an award given for “best poser.”
There should always be an award given for “most muscular.”
I think contests should also allow some kind of audience ballot.  That is to say, the combined audience vote equals one vote from the judges table.

Bay for athletes' rep.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
You think that would add credibility as a 'sport' but can you imagine Chicks commentary....

'A large black male in the audience is screaming at the judges.  Oh my, this is really becoming a scene as it looks like the man is making his way to the judges table.   I've just been informed that the mans name is Tre, and he's clearly very upset that Lori received a 2 for symmetry.'

::) :-\

That was great actually!  ;D

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
Bay, Pretty good and intelligent suggestions except for the audience ballot proposal.

Here's my half-assed intelligent refute .......

Most in the audience are merely there to support their son, daughter, husband, wife, fellow gym member, or loved one.

The vast majority of the others in the audience are fans who prefer one contestant over another merely because of the fan obsession/association.

Others are there who have no idea who should win or who should should lose, nor even have no right to be up there.

So asking them to cast ballots would simply fuck the system up more so than YOU THINK it may be today.

......  a while back there was a well known and well respected promoter (Wally some-who) who attempted to promote contests in SoCal in which the audience would determine the winners by their appaluse.... even to the extent of using an official Applause-O -Meter of some sorts.

It didn't work well because the weakest tweeb on that stage won simply because he got more of his ping-pong playing buds to buy more tickets to the event than any of the other contestants who clapped loudly on his behalf.

Other than that, I tend to agree with ya.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
Bay, Pretty good and intelligent suggestions except for the audience ballot proposal.

Here's my half-assed intelligent refute .......

Most in the audience are merely there to support their son, daughter, husband, wife, fellow gym member, or loved one.

The vast majority of the others in the audience are fans who prefer one contestant over another merely because of the fan obsession/association.

Others are there who have no idea who should win or who should should lose, nor even have no right to be up there.

So asking them to cast ballots would simply fuck the system up more so than YOU THINK it may be today.

......  a while back there was a well known and well respected promoter (Wally some-who) who attempted to promote contests in SoCal in which the audience would determine the winners by their appaluse.... even to the extent of using an official Applause-O -Meter of some sorts.

It didn't work well because the weakest tweeb on that stage won simply because he got more of his ping-pong playing buds to buy more tickets to the event than any of the other contestants who clapped loudly on his behalf.

Other than that, I tend to agree with ya.

I take your points, but let’s face it, BB is just a cut above or below (depending on your point of view) American Idol.  I am not saying fans alone should determine the winner, but people do pay to attend these silly shows.  Why not give them a collective vote?  It is possible to attend a show and still offer an objective vote on different weight classes, overall winner, best poser, most muscular, etc.  At least I know I could do that, even if my favorite BB happened to be competing. 

If there are seven judges the audience vote collectively would represent an eighth vote and therefore not dilute or defeat the “legitimate” vote of the judges.  Frankly, anything to breathe some life into this increasingly fringe sport should be welcome.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
IN ADDITION .... It would be interesting to let the audience somehow make a separate decision on the outcome of a contest providing that it would have no affect on the official judges' final decision, but I have a feeling that if computed correctly  it would be almost identical to the official standings.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
Kinda odd how even the Dancing With The Stars judges explain their decisions, and other contest with judges, but the IFBB judges don't

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »
Kinda odd how even the Dancing With The Stars judges explain their decisions, and other contest with judges, but the IFBB judges don't

They explain them all the time...on the various radio shows, websites....it ain't rocket science and at the end of the day, it comes down to  opinion

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »
They explain them all the time...on the various radio shows, websites....it ain't rocket science and at the end of the day, it comes down to  opinion
In that case, if the general Public were polled and my physique were up against all the current Olympia contenders plus Bob Chick, I would be Crowned Mr. Olympia hands down every single time as we all know the general public in overwhelming majority is absolutely repulsed by an IFBB physique.

I like the idea of letting the public vote.  :D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »
They need a "celebrity judge", Halle Berry? Who has gone to some Pro Shows or Shannon Sharpe or  Triple H...

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »
yeah dont think so
w

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »

Have you ever proposed the live scoreboard idea? Result?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
BAY, once again I tend to agree with ya. It just might liven up bodybuilding competitions a bit or a lot by poling the opinions of the audience.

But if that was acceptable by the IFBB/NPC, I think it would be wise to keep it completely separate from the official score sheets until it underwent testing for a year or two to ascertain if it would prove valid and somewhat consistent with the "opinions" of those judges who are qualified to make those decisions.

If I was in power to do so, I would ask you to take the responsibility of poling the audience at one or more of the national events in an effort to ascertain if audience prejudging involvement could be a valid factor.

A few years back I would invite anyone who objected to the judges' decision to sit in as a test judge and then personally observe how the Head Judge and his assistant tabulate the final scores.

I don't recall any case in which the objections continued once a procrastinator experienced and undertstood that process.

Thanks, ya'll, for an intelligent discussion of a very interesting subject regarding audience prejudging participation.

Largerthanlife

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »

you can't be this stupid, on american idol they explain it to them then and there, they do not do it a week later on some obscure radio show no one listens to. 

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
how about a webcast stream that buffers like in previous years (so you pause it and let it buffer for 60 secs and press play, so you dont get choppy webcasts or miss stuff IE youtube), last year was brutal

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »
you can't be this stupid, on american idol they explain it to them then and there, they do not do it a week later on some obscure radio show no one listens to. 

American Idol is more of a sporting competition than the Olympia is.

Largerthanlife

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
American Idol is more of a sporting competition than the Olympia is.

x2

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
Have you ever proposed the live scoreboard idea? Result?

They did it back in the 70's/ early 80's....

No, Ive never proposed it....dont think it lends anything

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »
They did it back in the 70's/ early 80's....

No, Ive never proposed it....dont think it lends anything

Bob, what do you think the reaction in the audience would've been if there had been a live scoreboard during your last Masters competition?