Author Topic: Official NC Wrestling Thread:  (Read 10826 times)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: Official NC Wrestling Thread:
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »

At what point did you personally feel that the NWA you’d grown up with evolved into "an abomination" of its former self?

It was long after the merger...because I still had hopes...but I was watching one of the early Saturday afternoon shows and they had a "battle royal" that consisted of only jobbers and mid-carders.  It was won by "Disco Inferno" (If Squadfather had been there, he would have said, "Oh, brother  ::) ")
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »
Throw in story:

i remember watching a show at my eventual hs gym when I was probably 9 yrs old.  Ox Baker was a mid-carder who was pretty much there to put over the younger talent at that point.  I remember he came out after his match and sat in the ringside seats and was grooming his moustache.  A bunch of kids eventually got up the nerve to sneak up behind him and he jumped from his seat like a crazy man and ran them off!  I was too scared to attempt such a feat at that age.  I think about the "why" now and its so cool.  He was purposely baiting the fans to get a reaction and we all ate it up....and he was years past his prime.   Imagine any of the toolbags in the WWE doing that now, hell even TNA, without a bunch of cameras and a staff of writers telling him exactly what to do............

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2011, 08:29:04 PM »
Throw in story:

i remember watching a show at my eventual hs gym when I was probably 9 yrs old.  Ox Baker was a mid-carder who was pretty much there to put over the younger talent at that point.  I remember he came out after his match and sat in the ringside seats and was grooming his moustache.  A bunch of kids eventually got up the nerve to sneak up behind him and he jumped from his seat like a crazy man and ran them off!  I was too scared to attempt such a feat at that age.  I think about the "why" now and its so cool.  He was purposely baiting the fans to get a reaction and we all ate it up....and he was years past his prime.   Imagine any of the toolbags in the WWE doing that now, hell even TNA, without a bunch of cameras and a staff of writers telling him exactly what to do............

Yes, today's "talent" is virtually clueless as to these types of practices.
However, I'm not sure they could pull something like that off even if they wanted or were told to.
Much of the current rosters lack the presence to intimidate Justin Bieber.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »

Yes, today's "talent" is virtually clueless as to these types of practices.
However, I'm not sure they could pull something like that off even if they wanted or were told to.
Much of the current rosters lack the presence to intimidate Justin Bieber.

Not to mention kids today seem to think they are bullet-proof at the age of 8.  Not enough spankings from their parents/ teachers or butt whoopin's from siblings to instill some good ole fashioned fear in them.... 8)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »
Didnt Ivan Koloff live in NC I believe.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
Didnt Ivan Koloff live in NC I believe.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

I think he still does.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2012, 05:43:46 AM »
Although it concerns Georgia Championship Wrestling, I put this post here due to GCW's eventual affiliation with the North Carolina-based Jim Crockett Promotions.

Okay, with that clarification out of the way... I’m trying to keep straight some facts, which is nearly impossible the way some of the old territories changed hands in ownership so many times - particularly the whole “NWA thing.” I need some of you experts to clarify a few facts for me.

Below are clips from the notorious “Black Saturday,” in which Vince McMahon Jr. announced his/WWF’s involvement with GCW after purchasing the Briscoe’s stock shares. The old man began airing his WWF shows in the GCW time-slot on the Turner network and the mid-south fans farted on it. Vince eventually sold his time-slot to Jim Crockett, who began airing his JCP/NWA product, which really took off after McMahon’s flop. From what I understand, Vince sold only his Saturday night time-slot - NOT THE GCW COMPANY - to Crockett.

Now, here’s where it gets fuzzy… Vince apparently bought the rights to the GCW library as part of his WCW purchase in 2001. That implies that GCW shifted ownership from Vince to Crockett to Turner, then back to Vince.

My question is: didn’t Vince retain the rights to Georgia if he never sold the company to JCP?
Furthermore, Grady Odum (one of the original GCW owners, along with the Briscoe‘s and Paul Jones) attempted to reform the Georgia “territory” with a series of shows last year. So, how the hell can he be the owner and/or use the GCW name if Vince has everything?

Any insight would be appreciated.
This shit is confusing!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »
I don't know about the stuff from last year, but my understanding back in the day was that when VKM bought the time slot, it didn't include the actual GCW product or archives.  I think he made a deal to buy the time slots and TBS had to agree not to air wrestling at other times.  I could be wrong, but that is how my beer fuzzied mind recalls it.  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
I don't know about the stuff from last year, but my understanding back in the day was that when VKM bought the time slot, it didn't include the actual GCW product or archives.  I think he made a deal to buy the time slots and TBS had to agree not to air wrestling at other times.  I could be wrong, but that is how my beer fuzzied mind recalls it.  ;D

Okay, that makes sense.
On the other hand, I also remember reading that he purchased Jack & Jerry Brisco's shares in the company, which seems to imply some kind of ownership of the company.
I don't know...

I was actually contemplating putting together a "history of the NWA" thread, chronicling the landmark events of the Alliance's different territories throughout the mid-South & mid-Atlantic, but it gets so incredibly complex; not to mention there are countless descrepancies in the various accounts.
It would take an amazing amount of time and research...
Fukk that - I've got finals & boards coming up! ;D 

Thanks for the inupt.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 04:51:22 PM »
By the way: do you remember "Black Saturday?"
Did you see it when it originally aired?

I can only imagine you watching Vince McMahon from New York appear on the set of your beloved GCW...
I'd have LOVED to see your reaction!! :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »
By the way: do you remember "Black Saturday?"
Did you see it when it originally aired?

I can only imagine you watching Vince McMahon from New York appear on the set of your beloved GCW...
I'd have LOVED to see your reaction!! :)

haha, I was watching it at the time and to be honest more confused than anything else.  Once I realized that they were just going to re-air shitty WWF footage, I was royally pissed as you can imagine.  I thought at first he was going to take over operations of GCW and use their talent.....I was young at the time, but would have tackled his arrogant ass if given the chance..... ;D   Little did I know that it was basically the blueprint of what was to come.....he takes over and wrestling turn to pure shit.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
haha, I was watching it at the time and to be honest more confused than anything else.  Once I realized that they were just going to re-air shitty WWF footage, I was royally pissed as you can imagine.  I thought at first he was going to take over operations of GCW and use their talent.....I was young at the time, but would have tackled his arrogant ass if given the chance..... ;D   Little did I know that it was basically the blueprint of what was to come.....he takes over and wrestling turn to pure shit.

;D