Author Topic: America's Most Scenic Roads  (Read 1918 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
America's Most Scenic Roads
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
How many of these have you done?  I've done all the ones in bold and the pictures do not do them justice.  Truly some breathtaking views!  8)
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-39636578

From the dramatic California coast to history-lined thoroughfares of New England, there are countless scenic drives across the country—and some stellar standouts. We’ve picked the American routes with heart-stopping views. On the winding Blue Ridge Parkway, for example, don’t be surprised if the morning mists seduce you like a country melody. The 469-mile road, which turned 75 years old last year, wends its way past limestone caverns, clear mountain springs, and Appalachian majesty, offering different panoramic vistas depending on the season.

And on U.S. 1 from Key Largo to Key West, travelers are treated to a good time, Florida style. The island chain’s stretch of road encompasses everything from underwater coral reefs and 7 Mile Bridge, one of the longest in the world, to marinas where you can hand-feed tarpon.

So bring a friend or your family and hit the road . . .

U.S. 1
Florida Keys

Route 12
Utah

Blue Ridge Parkway
Carolinas and Virginia

Lake Shore Drive
Chicago

Bluebonnet Trail
Texas

Hana Highway
Maui

Trail Ridge Road
Colorado

North Shore Drive
Minnesota

Kancamagus Highway
New Hampshire

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: America's Most Scenic Roads
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 02:02:30 PM »
How many of these have you done?  I've done all the ones in bold and the pictures do not do them justice.  Truly some breathtaking views!  8)
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-39636578

From the dramatic California coast to history-lined thoroughfares of New England, there are countless scenic drives across the country—and some stellar standouts. We’ve picked the American routes with heart-stopping views. On the winding Blue Ridge Parkway, for example, don’t be surprised if the morning mists seduce you like a country melody. The 469-mile road, which turned 75 years old last year, wends its way past limestone caverns, clear mountain springs, and Appalachian majesty, offering different panoramic vistas depending on the season.

And on U.S. 1 from Key Largo to Key West, travelers are treated to a good time, Florida style. The island chain’s stretch of road encompasses everything from underwater coral reefs and 7 Mile Bridge, one of the longest in the world, to marinas where you can hand-feed tarpon.

So bring a friend or your family and hit the road . . .

U.S. 1
Florida Keys

Route 12
Utah

Blue Ridge Parkway
Carolinas and Virginia

Lake Shore Drive
Chicago

Bluebonnet Trail
Texas

Hana Highway
Maui

Trail Ridge Road
Colorado

North Shore Drive
Minnesota

Kancamagus Highway
New Hampshire

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
Lake Drive - Chicago
Hwy 1 - Cali
Hana - HI

:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »

Lake Drive - Chicago
Hwy 1 - Cali
Hana - HI
  (I think)

R

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:28:30 AM »
The road to Hana is scenic for the passenger.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
The road to Hana is scenic for the passenger.

Are you saying that playing chicken with oncoming traffic reduces the scenic effect?
:

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
Are you saying that playing chicken with oncoming traffic reduces the scenic effect?

Ha! and as the driver you can never really take your eyes off the roads because there are so many turns.

.....thanks to the locals I did find a great place to park and walk insland for about 10-15 minutes to a cool waterfall with a pass to the top so I could jump off into the water :)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »

I think I've done all of them, numerous times minus Hawaii.

w8m8

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:38:01 AM »
I think I've done all of them, numerous times minus Hawaii.

Guitar playing all over the states took you to some great places  8)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »
Guitar playing all over the states took you to some great places  8)

That is true. I got to travel the US, see all but 4 states by the time I was 24 and experience a lot of things. To me it was nothing special, but now as I talk to people that are sometimes 60+ years old, they all tell me that they haven't ever left California or whatever their birth state is. And I had been to I don't know how many states multiple times over by my 20th year.
Some of the roads I've traveled were at night, in a sleep deprived state and I have no idea where I was at the time or where I was going. I got the band to its destination and forgot where and how I got there, just happy to see a bed!

While not a beautiful highway, the loneliest highway in the world (I-50) really is a trip to be on.