Author Topic: UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon ‘Bones’ Jones endorses Smart Protein Bars  (Read 5236 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Toronto, ON

June 13, 2011

UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION JON ‘BONES’ JONES ENDORSES SMART PROTEIN BARS

Jon “Bones” Jones, the reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion, will endorse the all new line of Smart Protein bars, protein shots, and ready-to-drinks from MuscleTech.  Smart Protein products launch this month at GNC stores and mass retailers throughout the year. In addition to live and online appearances for Smart Protein, Jones’ champion physique will be prominently featured in Smart Protein consumer marketing.

“I’m a Smart Protein fan,” says Jones. “They’re packed with protein, taste great, and provide incredible energy. I got some of the first boxes to roll out and nobody’s getting these from me!”

Jones, who is represented by Malki Kawa, CEO of First Round Management, is the youngest champion in UFC history and is ranked the #1 Light Heavyweight in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) by ESPN.  Jones, 13-1 overall, won the 2006 NJCAA wrestling championship, has a strong background in wrestling, Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai. The Endicott, New York, native currently fights out of Jackson’s Submission Fighting in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Athletically gifted and charismatic, Jones has risen to the top of the MMA world in just three years. Jones is expected to defend his title in the fall of 2011.

“Jon is a champion who trains smart, and Smart Protein products provide great-tasting protein for athletes on-the-go,” says Vincent Scalisi, Chief Marketing Officer of Iovate. “Jones is an elite athlete with an incredible work ethic. He’s a charismatic, All-American champion and we’re honoured to be in his corner.”

“Iovate is a leading company in sports nutrition supplements,” says Kawa. “They’re an ideal partner for Jon. I'm honored to have aligned the top fighter in the world with them.”

Smart Protein products are the newest innovation from MuscleTech, a leader in sports nutrition supplements for over a decade, and will be available at thousands of retail locations across North America. Smart Protein is an advanced on-the-go line of supplements designed to help build lean muscle, increase energy and improve performance in athletes, fitness enthusiasts and serious weight trainers. All Smart Protein supplements are engineered with the highest commitment to science and quality to deliver superior formulas that deliver amazing results.
Elevate Your Image.™

che

• Getbig V
Who gives a fuck

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
Another MMA athlete getting sponsorship while most bodybuilders continue to do nothing to make themselves valuable to companies.

Elevate Your Image.™

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Who the fuck cares  ???
follow the arrows

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
He's also fighting Rampage at UFC 134 for the championship :)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Another MMA athlete getting sponsorship while most bodybuilders continue to do nothing to make themselves valuable to companies.

You set the stage for a great question.  What can an overgrown professional bodybuilder do to make themselves look marketable to companies and consumers? 

What's their talent?  They can lift things up and put them down?

At least that Bones guy can actually fight and entertain us.  What does a bodybuilder do for anyone? 

"1"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I think T-Paw may use this news to attack Romney at the Republican debate tonight.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."

Oh no you didn't!

JasonH

• Getbig V

What do you expect bodybuilders to do and how do you suggest bodybuilders make themselves more marketable?

MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in the world and fans of the sport and strength athletics and boxing in general will relate much better to this guy because of his athletic achievements than some no-name pro bodybuilder who will just get accused of being on steroids first and foremost and the product they are trying to promote will be largely ignored.

Pro bodybuilders are damned if they do and damned if they don't - I'm sure most of them would love to be the frontline spokesman for a big household name fitness or sports product but they don't get approached because they're simply not marketable - this is why you don't see Jay Cutler or Phil Heath advertising Nike or Reebok.

Maybe Chick can give us his two cents worth on this - would be interesting to hear his opinion.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Isaac its not the bodybuilders its the industry wanting the bodybuilders to set "higher" standards. They want them to bigger and bigger...people don't want that, this industry does NOTHING to help better itself exept from with in. Bodybuilding is so small to the outside world its almost non-existant.

claymore

• Getbig IV
Protein bars = GARBAGE

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Welcome to yesterday. Already caught this on CNN and Reuters.
O

Otis B Driftwood

• Getbig II
  • Verbal Skullcrusher
Berkshire Hathaway is looking to invest in smart protein bars after hearing that Jon "Bones" Jones signed on.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
You set the stage for a great question.  What can an overgrown professional bodybuilder do to make themselves look marketable to companies and consumers?  

What's their talent?  They can lift things up and put them down?

At least that Bones guy can actually fight and entertain us.  What does a bodybuilder do for anyone?  

"look more marketable" - well they can carve out their own niche. You don't have to be the best bodybuilder in the world to get paid and make a living in the industry. Andy Haman is doing it by being over the top. Bob doesn't compete any more yet still gets booked for emcee jobs. With today's social media tools and the ability to put up a blog and a web site in hours, there's no reason guys can't be making themselves valuable to companies. I'm paid to endorse MuscleTech® products and am I a professional bodybuilder? No. Will I ever be? Nope. You don't need to have a talent you just have to "get" how to brand and market yourself. The problem is most guys are too busy thinking about their next meal and living in their own little world waiting for a hand out.

There are lots of pro athletes who read the muscle magazines. Celebrities read the mags as well. They want to know the "secret" to getting bigger arms or six-pack abs. Harry Conik Jr. attended the NY PRO and is a fan of bodybuilding. Busta Ryhmes was backstage at the Olympia one year. Terry Crews was just at the Bodybuilding.com Fit Expo and uses bodybuilding (not the competitive type) to help him get roles and is on the current cover of Muscle & Fitness. I know A-Rod has used the muscle mags to try and score a date or two with a fitness model

Bodybuilders can do it if they stop being lazy and make themselves more than just some big dude who lifts heavy ass weights.

Elevate Your Image.™

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
He's also fighting Rampage at UFC 134 for the championship :)

I hope Jones beats the living shit out of Page. Sick of all his bullshit. When he kept calling that dude on tuff titties I lost a lot of respect for him. That kids family is watching the show and he has to take shit from an asshole bully. He loves to pick on people weaker than him. I saw a video recently of him making fun of one of his fans this fat girl with a cupcake on her shirt. He humilates his own fans I can't understand that.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
F rampage.  His days are numbered.  He's a sloth of a fighter these days and an asshole as well.  Jones will have his way with him.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
You're late, pal, this was already in the special evening issue of several international newspapers.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Smart Protein Bars are owned by Iovate, which also owns Muscletech.  Smart Protein Bars is one of their newest bars, and they also have a 8oz-10oz Protein Shot too.   

In terms of marketablity of bodybuilders, there are many that are sponsored, but Isaac is right.  You need to 'market' yourself, in order to get sponsors.  Most of the time, they don't just come to you. 

Yes, this is news.  Anytime, someone puts money into the MMA and Bodybuilding industry, it is good.  A lot of MMA fighters are bodybuilding fans, and judging by Clay Guida and Brian Stann at this past weekend's Boise Fitness Expo, quite a lot of the fans are cool with both.

Maldoror

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Brutal 12" arms on "Bones" Jones.  That "guy" is a twink through and through. How the hell can he generate any punching power with those pipe-cleaners & wafer-thin pecs?? ::)

Also TRUE that protein bars are garbage anyway. Lots of sub-standard protein in them.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Because power isn't generated in the "pipe cleaners".

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Brutal 12" arms on "Bones" Jones.  That "guy" is a twink through and through. How the hell can he generate any punching power with those pipe-cleaners & wafer-thin pecs?? ::)

Also TRUE that protein bars are garbage anyway. Lots of sub-standard protein in them.

Ok "Maldoror"

::)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
The problem is most guys are too busy thinking about their next meal and living in their own little world waiting for a hand out.

That's not the real problem.  The real problem is that most of these professional bodybuilders are fucking morons Isaac.  You've had a chance to speak to a probably a large amount of pros and the resounding theme has to be that most can barely form a cohesive sentence.  With the exception of guys like Chick and Ray (Both retired), some of these guys act as if they were recruited to be professional bodybuilders coming right out of the 3rd grade. They are not articulate and only serve to embarrass the industry by fueling the stereotype that bodybuilders are overgrown behemoths with no other purpose in life but to "lift things up and put them down".  Look into the vault and try to find Ronnie Coleman when he was on the Jay Leno show.  He acted like a fucking retard.

Harry Conik Jr. attended the NY PRO and is a fan of bodybuilding.

Isaac, Harry is a huge fan of bodybuilding, but not for the hard work that this "sport" pretends to promote, but moreover due to the men.  Harry is a FLAMING homosexual who just a year back back set the GAY in him free.  He is a close personal friend of the community where I live in (Tribeca) and can be seen frequenting such renowned GAY bars as the Monster on Christopher street.

Busta Ryhmes was backstage at the Olympia one year.

That was the year he was aggressively trying to get huge and while he had a decent supplier, he need insight into the exact numbers he should be using.  In light of that, he went to the Olympia hoping to find a pro or two that can lead him in the right direction, only to find that those morons take advice from guys like Nicholls or Glass.

Bodybuilders can do it if they stop being lazy retards and make themselves more than just some big dude who lifts light-moderate ass weights.

Fixed it for you.  ;)

"1"

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163

That was the year he was aggressively trying to get huge and while he had a decent supplier, he need insight into the exact numbers he should be using.  In light of that, he went to the Olympia hoping to find a pro or two that can lead him in the right direction, only to find that those morons take advice from guys like Nicholls or Glass.

"1"

Damn, why didn't Bustah just register on getbig instead?