Author Topic: Lee Labrada's update videos (training biceps & legs )  (Read 10084 times)

Fortress

• Getbig V
Re: Lee Labrada's update videos (training biceps & legs )
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 09:54:59 AM »
clearly you dont understand how muscle grows.

there is not a direct correlation between amount of weight moved and muscle mass.

Yeah, I don't know what I am talking about. Twenty-five years lifting naturally, going from 130 pounds to my current, reasonably hard, 290 pounds. Former bodybuilding competitor and current powerlifting competitor. Former editor for, among others, MuscleMag International. Acquaintance or friend of MANY top level muscle and strength athletes. Ate lunch with Dorian on Saturday.

I just have no idea.

Fucktard.  

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »
Wew, still he looks good. :D
Of course its far from he used to look like, but still looking good!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »
In the third video (Lee doing standing cable curl), his wheels look SKINNY. Particularly, his lower body doesn't look strong, at all. Like he just doesn't squat heavy ... or even do much in the way of heavy pressing, etc. Just those semi-useless leg extensions he demonstrates in the first video.

I remember back in his day telling Greg Zulak (I think) he was gonna lift heavy on the day Greg was observing one of his workouts. He worked up to a "mighty" 275 on squats.

I have no issue with Labrada. The man has always been pro towards me and the folks I know. However ...

Isn't it less than honourable to advertise oneself in a way as to promote one's supplement company, when the reality is, your conditioning and muscularity is mostly by way of hormonal supplementation?

I don't dislike Lee, and I consider his to be one of the classic bodybuilding physiques, but this shit bugs me.    
you know what bugs me....is that you used to write for a muscle magazine and you spent time with many pros.....your posts are quite negative and you seem to dog on many pros.. why is this?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:39 AM »
Lee was always too safe with his training.

But this attitude is perhaps just mine. Certainly I will not argue his success on the posing dais.  
You know bbing, but maybe you're looking at this as a powerlifter now

I think Lee was aiming for safe. Purely aesthetic, no strength show. That's why he had a long injury free career and still looks great, just smaller and older

ukjeff

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 01:10:36 AM »
Yeah, I don't know what I am talking about. Twenty-five years lifting naturally, going from 130 pounds to my current, reasonably hard, 290 pounds. Former bodybuilding competitor and current powerlifting competitor. Former editor for, among others, MuscleMag International. Acquaintance or friend of MANY top level muscle and strength athletes. Ate lunch with Dorian on Saturday.

I just have no idea.

Fucktard. 

You have no idea how to give credit where its due.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »
Dude must be on an awsome trt program!

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 05:19:11 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 05:23:21 AM »
275 with proper form and range of motion is a lot of weight for a guy who competed at 175lbs.  I just would love to see what he looks like without the juice. It wouldn't be pretty.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 06:01:55 AM »
How old is he now?  Dude looks great! for his age.

corrected

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
Much respect, love his physique!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 07:11:13 AM »
275 with proper form and range of motion is a lot of weight for a guy who competed at 175lbs.  I just would love to see what he looks like without the juice. It wouldn't be pretty.
let's keep in mind that the great tom platz squatted with 315 for ultra high reps.......arnold would perform db curls with 30-50 pounds for rather high reps......etc.......many champs have trained with manageable poundages in an effort to get results without getting injured in the process.

some fools have to beat their chests and tell you about how heavy they train......it is all ego.......lee would look great with juice or without juice.

let the haters hate.....that is what they do best.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
let's keep in mind that the great tom platz squatted with 315 for ultra high reps.......arnold would perform db curls with 30-50 pounds for rather high reps......etc.......many champs have trained with manageable poundages in an effort to get results without getting injured in the process.

some fools have to beat their chests and tell you about how heavy they train......it is all ego.......lee would look great with juice or without juice.

that's true, but the question is... did they use those weights to actually build their size or were those weights used just to maintain their size?

i believe that you can use much less weight to maintain size, for example is you bench 275 for 10 and gain a certain amount of muscle then you can go back down to 225 for 10 reps and maintain the size that you have built from the 275

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
that's true, but the question is... did they use those weights to actually build their size or were those weights used just to maintain their size?

i believe that you can use much less weight to maintain size, for example is you bench 275 for 10 and gain a certain amount of muscle then you can go back down to 225 for 10 reps and maintain the size that you have built from the 275
Exactly you can maintain size with less weight but to increase size you got go heavier.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
i am not saying that you should curl and press and squat with quarters on the bar......i am saying use heavy enough resistance to fatigue the muscle.....but you certainly don't need to powerlift to grow.

imho

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »

I just have no idea.

Fucktard.  

Oh brother, another close to 300 lb with abs getbigger too humble to ever post a pic.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 07:38:03 AM »
Exactly you can maintain size with less weight but to increase size you got go heavier.
arnold grew nicely while working with gironda.......and gironda was not into ego weights and was not a big fan of the bench or the squat.

arnold grew with more moderate weights.......arnold never benched 500.

arnie definitely didn't grow those famous arms with the cheat curl where he is leaning back so far he is damn near laying down......he used 30-50 pound dumbbells for standing curls. flyes with 60 pound dbs........best chest of all time!!!

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 07:46:46 AM »
arnold grew nicely while working with gironda.......and gironda was not into ego weights and was not a big fan of the bench or the squat.

arnold grew with more moderate weights.......arnold never benched 500.

arnie definitely didn't grow those famous arms with the cheat curl where he is leaning back so far he is damn near laying down......he used 30-50 pound dumbbells for standing curls. flyes with 60 pound dbs........best chest of all time!!!

wild willie

• Getbig V

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »

Everything is relative. I remember how back in the day someone said he was disappointed watching Chris Dickerson train. He said he was using light weights. What I didn't know until later is that he did 6 sets of reps over 10 with very little rest in between sets for an exercise. In general three exercises per body part. Trained half his body at a shot so every exercise was repeated 3 times a week.  Try doing 6 sets of 10 reps in any exercise with 30 seconds or less rest in between sets and tell me how much weight you can use. It's like running with a world champion marathoner for a block and saying he doesn't run that fast. He's running sub 26 5 minute miles. Try to keep up for just one mile.Brutal.

Also it depends of course on form and range of motion. We all know the whole gym uses 4 plates plus when they squat but they use shallow knee bends and call them squats.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »
Everything is relative. I remember how back in the day someone said he was disappointed watching Chris Dickerson train. He said he was using light weights. What I didn't know until later is that he did 6 sets of reps over 10 with very little rest in between sets for an exercise. In general three exercises per body part. Trained half his body at a shot so every exercise was repeated 3 times a week.  Try doing 6 sets of 10 reps in any exercise with 30 seconds or less rest in between sets and tell me how much weight you can use. It's like running with a world champion marathoner for a block and saying he doesn't run that fast. He's running sub 26 5 minute miles. Try to keep up for just one mile.Brutal.

Also it depends of course on form and range of motion. We all know the whole gym uses 4 plates plus when they squat but they use shallow knee bends and call them squats.
exactly right.....

The Iron19

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »
Met Lee at the last Master O. First pro i ever talked to, he was very humble. Genuinely seemed happy to talk to anyone. His protein powder is very good albeit expensive. And holy shit his arms in person looked ridiculous.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »

Exactly

And Dickerson had to adjust his training style due to injuries, pec tear, delt injuries, hip and knee problems. Dickerson competed in AAU when olympic lifts were part of the comp. He could and did lift big when younger.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
Exactly

And Dickerson had to adjust his training style due to injuries, pec tear, delt injuries, hip and knee problems. Dickerson competed in AAU when olympic lifts were part of the comp. He could and did lift big when younger.

but the question is... did his muscles get any bigger this his all-time best competition weight using those methods? i doubt it

King Zane competed @ 187 ON STAGE in 77, 78, 79, 80 and in 82 he competed ON STAGE @ 205 and guess what? his training poundages were much heavier in 82

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »
but the question is... did his muscles get any bigger this his all-time best competition weight using those methods? i doubt it

King Zane competed @ 187 ON STAGE in 77, 78, 79, 80 and in 82 he competed ON STAGE @ 205 and guess what? his training poundages were much heavier in 82
You have a point, and also the weight training itself is one factor amongst others, for instance Dillet & Taylor always trained light, yet they progressed and grew

Guys like Labrada, Zane, Dickerson, Ray hardly changed or fluctuated in weight through their careers, they maybe changed by 10lbs on average. Zane was initially 205-210(60s), then 185-195(late 70s), later 200-205(but not in Zane-like condition)

Dickerson off-season, looked like he maybe trained a bit... Not like a pro bber competing at the Mr O and winning shows! Amazing transformation onstage, and a great perfomer