Author Topic: Obama Open To Economic Stimulus As Part Of Debt Reduction Deal. HUH?????  (Read 327 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
stein@huffingtonpost.com
Obama Open To Economic Stimulus As Part Of Debt Reduction Deal
Posted: 06/29/11 03:27 PM ET
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/obama-open-to-stimulus-debt-reduction-plan_n_887093.html

WASHINGTON -- The media coverage of the ongoing debt ceiling negotiations has often painted President Obama as painfully eager to be considered a champion of austerity. Yet White House staff say the press has generally misunderstood or mislabled the president's motives. Ask top aides what the administration prioritizes, and they will place job creation well above spending reductions.

Obama delivered many messages at his Wednesday's press conference addressing the economy and the debt ceiling. But underlying his remarks was an effort by the White House to re-frame the austerity narrative. Obama on several occasions said the primary goal of any debt- or deficit-reduction deal had to be, first and foremost, creating the type of economic environment that would spur growth.

To many progressives, Obama's logic appears flawed. How would slashing trillions of dollars from the budget over the next decade help the 14 million Americans who are currently unemployed? But tucked beneath the president's rhetorical strains was an important declaration:

"One of the most important things we can do for debt and deficit reduction is to grow the economy," Obama said. "Deficit reduction, debt reduction should be part of an overall package for job growth over the long term. It is not the only part of it, but it is an important part of it."

To bolster that statement, the president offered a preview of how congressional Democrats might ultimately agree to a debt-ceiling bill they may not philosophically support. Lawmakers, Obama said, should be comfortable attaching stimulus measures to a debt ceiling deal, even if those measures would increase the deficit in the short term.

"If there are steps in the short term [that] may reduce the amount of cash in the treasury but in the long term mean we are growing at 3.5 percent instead of 2.5 percent, then those ideas are worth exploring," he said.

As for what those "ideas worth exploring" might be, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney has spoken about the president's support for "targeted investments ... in education, in research and development, innovation and infrastructure" to be included in the debt ceiling package. Other administration officials have hinted that an infrastructure bank would be a logical add-on.

WTF?   

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
I tried to listen to the POTUS speech yesterday, but was not surprised to hear the same old. Class warfare (I guess when you don't actually have a position or policy you have to resort to pitting people against each other to take the focus off the incompetence of the government). Then the kicker about rebuilding the infrastructure, wait wasn't that what "STIM I" was about? Shovel ready jobs? Where the hell did all that money go?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
I tried to listen to the POTUS speech yesterday, but was not surprised to hear the same old. Class warfare (I guess when you don't actually have a position or policy you have to resort to pitting people against each other to take the focus off the incompetence of the government). Then the kicker about rebuilding the infrastructure, wait wasn't that what "STIM I" was about? Shovel ready jobs? Where the hell did all that money go?

African Ball Washing and Pelosi's pet mouse. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
These retards just don't get it. And they never will, either.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
These retards just don't get it. And they never will, either.

Short term stimulus....a totally transparent attempt to piss more money down the drain to artificially prop up the economy for a short period of time.

Guess which that "short period of time" would cover?