Author Topic: Gold's Gym is closing down because of Google?  (Read 38043 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Gold's Gym Venice is closing down?
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
Why don't you make me "STFU", Wet Willie?
Benny.....you are a sarcastic internet tough guy......you make such a foolish statement and then when I ask you to STFU.....you wonder why???

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 10:48:55 AM »
It's a sad day for Camp Kikakee.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »

Yes, we have heard that Google bought the blocks where Gold's Venice is and told them they won't renew the lease, but nothin has trully official in print yet that I can find.  Just lots of people talking about they need to find a new location in two years when Google starts to renovate the area.

That being said - Gold's Gym does not WANT to move - all is good in the location, it is one of the busiest gyms in the area, and tons of people go there.  It is the mecca of bodybuilding, and people like to go there, just because it has history.

The historical aspect of it closing would be tough to many.   Too many, if you are into the bodybuilding world, coming to Southern California and checking out Gold's Venice, eating at the Firehouse, and going to Muscle Beach is too cool.

It would be sad day for bodybuilding if Google forces Gold's Gym out of Venice.

Good reason to finally go there as it may be gone forever soon.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
Looks like the dude gotta find a new home :'(

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »
Close it down It has a piece of shit for about 10 years now.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
ehh...
Dumbbells, barbells, a few strength-training machines and some "cardio" equipment. This isn't 1984...there are a 1,000 places like this all over the country now.

Therefore, who really gives a shit. Let the dump close...fuck 'em.

It has by far the best equipment of any gym I've ever trained at

I like to use free weights, but also like to mix in machines. They have by far the best machines of any gym. It was even better in the past before they replaced some of the old equipment. Most machines are designed very well.

Hopefully they can stay in the same place or move most if not all of their equipment to a new site.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »
How much money has gone through that place and they never bought the fucking building?

How much rent did they paid since 1980 I wonder?

Maybe they never had an option to buy

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »
Benny.....you are a sarcastic internet tough guy......you make such a foolish statement and then when I ask you to STFU.....you wonder why???
No, I don't "wonder why."  ::)
My statement wasn't "foolish" Wet Willie, and I really don't give a shit what your problem is.
!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »
That's your whole problem.....you don't care much about anything....or at least that's what you want people to believe.

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 09:52:20 PM »

So now the official date is June 30, 2014.

The worst-kept secret at Gold’s Gym in Venice Beach is that the gym is closing its doors for good when its lease expires on June 30, 2014. With its 45 years of history, this Los Angeles landmark was once the second most popular tourist attraction in the LA area after Disneyland, but alas, times have changed and the ‘Mecca of Bodybuilding’ is slowly transforming into the Mecca of Millionaires, or ‘Silicon Beach’ in techno-blog-speak.

According to former Gold’s Gym Venice owner Ed Connors, Google has bought the building and the surrounding real estate, with grand designs on walling off the streets and creating a SoCal campus to rival its Mountain View ‘university’. If this is accurate, Gold’s Gym appears to have dropped the ball, and with undeveloped real estate (and mandatory) in the area in short supply, the death of Gold’s Venice is but a foregone conclusion.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 10:11:36 PM »
So now the official date is June 30, 2014.

The worst-kept secret at Gold’s Gym in Venice Beach is that the gym is closing its doors for good when its lease expires on June 30, 2014. With its 45 years of history, this Los Angeles landmark was once the second most popular tourist attraction in the LA area after Disneyland, but alas, times have changed and the ‘Mecca of Bodybuilding’ is slowly transforming into the Mecca of Millionaires, or ‘Silicon Beach’ in techno-blog-speak.

According to former Gold’s Gym Venice owner Ed Connors, Google has bought the building and the surrounding real estate, with grand designs on walling off the streets and creating a SoCal campus to rival its Mountain View ‘university’. If this is accurate, Gold’s Gym appears to have dropped the ball, and with undeveloped real estate (and mandatory) in the area in short supply, the death of Gold’s Venice is but a foregone conclusion.

Source?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »
Source?

Source is Jason Stern, who now lives in New York. Who probably got the story from Getbig and these threads. And so far, it is still just that - rumors, except for the lease part that runs out, in which they can renegotiate.

In June 2011, rumors went wild when apparently Google started to buy up two blocks of property around Gold's Gym Venice, including the parking lots and more.  The rumor is that they want to start remodeling the area, and while that does not mean tearing down Gold's Gym Venice, it means that they may take their prized parking area to build a building, while eventually building underground parking.  But that would take some time.

In effect, Gold's Gym lease runs out and they might lose their parking (which is across the street), and their rent might go up.  The rumor is that can they or want to afford a drive up in rent while losing parking too?  

Will they get rid of the gym? I dont think so.  Will Gold's Gym decide not to renew on a higher rent for the area.... that is a different story.  The question is - where can they go to if they do choose to elect to move.

The funny thing is that just now, the mainstream media is picking this up - will this has been a story on Getbig for 9 months.   And even more interesting is that while it may have happened, there is no proof at all that Google purchased the area, nor wants to take the gym away. Except maybe charge a higher rent.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply Ron, very interesting scenario.

Maybe it is time for a new mecca of bodybuilding in Venice, where bodybuilders are welcome and well catered for. Just sayin..........

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
I'm friends with EC on FB- I'll get to the bottom of this- pun intended.
a

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:57 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply Ron, very interesting scenario. Maybe it is time for a new mecca of bodybuilding in Venice, where bodybuilders are welcome and well catered for. Just sayin..........

Golds Venice still takes care of the bodybuilders - a lot of people still go there, and enjoy it, although it is a little more corporate.  Still a lot of photos and celebs go and work out.  There are other hardcore gyms, aka Metroflex but that is 18 miles away in Long Beach, but one of the most hardcore gyms in Los Angeles area.

As for Gold's Gym - they are only getting strong in this area, with plans to build a few more in the upcoming year.  Not corp Golds, and may be hard in Venice, and Gold's Gyms are going strong here in Los Angeles and vicinity.

PORKY

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
Didn't Planet Fitness buy over gold's a few years back?
P

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »
Golds Venice still takes care of the bodybuilders - a lot of people still go there, and enjoy it, although it is a little more corporate.  Still a lot of photos and celebs go and work out.  There are other hardcore gyms, aka Metroflex but that is 18 miles away in Long Beach, but one of the most hardcore gyms in Los Angeles area.

As for Gold's Gym - they are only getting strong in this area, with plans to build a few more in the upcoming year.  Not corp Golds, and may be hard in Venice, and Gold's Gyms are going strong here in Los Angeles and vicinity.

Thanks Ron, but I think it is more than a little bit corporate. I understand their commercial reality, I just think they somewhat lost their identity along the way or forgot where they come from. It is still one of my favorite gyms in the world and has been a huge inspiration to me. In fact, if I had not hung out there so much in the early 90s, I would not be doing what I am today.

Thanks for the inspiration Golds.....

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 07:25:43 AM »
Link doesn't work!
Google vs. Gold’s Gym Update
by Jason Stern

The worst-kept secret at Gold’s Gym in Venice is that the gym is closing its doors for good when its lease expires on June 30, 2014. With its 45 years of history, this Los Angeles landmark was once the second most popular tourist attraction in the LA area after Disneyland, but alas, times have changed and the ‘Mecca of Bodybuilding’  is slowly transforming into the Mecca of Millionaires, or ‘Silicon Beach’ in techno-blog-speak. Perhaps lost on most bodybuilders is the painful irony of the proverbial pencil-neck geek getting sand kicked in his face by the muscular beach bully turning the tables and kicking the bodybuilders out of Venice Beach. While the new owners of Golds (GGI) were out there licensing the Gold’s name to create Wii video games for couch potatoes instead of renewing their lease at 360 Hampton Drive, Google was creating an empire and looking for a place to expand its empire. The result: Google Plus. Gold’s Minus.

Publicly, the gym management continues to emphasize (perhaps ‘misrepresent’ is a better word choice)
that Gold’s Gym isn’t going anywhere, but for those in the know, it has become painfully clear that the clock is ticking down to zero. According to former Gold’s Gym Venice owner Ed Connors, Google has bought the building and the surrounding real estate, with grand designs on walling off the streets and creating a SoCal campus to rival its Mountain View ‘university’. If this is accurate, Gold’s Gym appears to have dropped the ball, and with undeveloped real estate (and mandatory) in the area in short supply, the death of Gold’s Venice is but a foregone conclusion.

While some have predicted a move to nearby Culver City or Playa Del Rey, Gold’s already has franchisees in those areas and the geographic limitations of those franchise agreements would likely come into dispute if the most famous gym in the world were to relocate to their area. For the record, Ed Connors — the man who sold Gold’s to its current owners — is already eulogizing the gym he helped create: “It’s a shame if they [Gold's Gym International] are going to let a piece of history just disappear but sadly I think that’s what is going to happen.”

As a current member of Gold’s Venice and a fellow Maryland alum of Google founder Sergey Brin, I believe that I am well-positioned to mediate this matter. My recommendation is that Google use its considerable wealth to purchase Gold’s Gym Venice, make it the official gym for Google employees, and rename it — wait for it…

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:26 AM »
I'll be glad when it closes can we speed it up?

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 08:08:01 PM »
Will the bums that live in tents behind golds get to stay?  There are some crazy mother fuckers living in those couch tents back there.

True. It has gotten so bad that I don't drive down that street any more

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:04 PM »
I always park back there.  Sometimes walk that street on way to the firehouse.  Its like the end of apocolypse now.  Even so, i hope it stays just the way it is. 

Agreed. It has a nice 3rd world/Mad Max feel to it.
a

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 08:24:14 PM »
The bums are mostly harmless, its the people in the disgusting anchor-baby factories and the crackhouse looking apartments in that area you should watch out for. Venice hipsters love them some Diversity... until it shoves a gun in their face at 3am and takes their wallet

Secret Stack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
http://www.spam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2601.0

LOL! Jason stern aka "special ed" has removed the article after Ron's comments.

great "reporting" using getbig's gossip and opinions section as the source, lol

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 06:00:32 AM »
This has motivated me to finally go there in the near future and get at least one good workout in before it closes for good. The reality is that Google is 10x bigger than the Gold's franchise and it's all about computers now.