Author Topic: Car People: Fact or Fiction?  (Read 7311 times)

CC973

• Getbig III
Car People: Fact or Fiction?
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »
Driving your car long distances (over 1k miles straight) is very hard on the engine and can shorten the lifespan of your car.

I need to make a long trip and i'm trying to decide if i'd be better off driving straight (NJ to Ft Lauderdale) or heading down to VA and putting the car on the Amtrak auto train.  I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with 98k on it.  

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Car People: Fact or Fiction?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »
Driving your car long distances (over 1k miles straight) is very hard on the engine and can shorten the lifespan of your car.

I need to make a long trip and i'm trying to decide if i'd be better off driving straight (NJ to Ft Lauderdale) or heading down to VA and putting the car on the Amtrak auto train.  I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with 98k on it.  

It's just a car, drive the piss out of that mother fucker...

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »
i'm not a car person but i would be willing to bet that driving long highway miles is actually easier on your car than regular city driving.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »
i'm not a car person but i would be willing to bet that driving long highway miles is actually easier on your car then regular city driving.

this

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
i'm not a car person but i would be willing to bet that driving long highway miles is actually easier on your car then regular city driving.

this.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »
There was a stat yrs ago that stated that the Ferraris that ended up on tow trucks were the ones that sat in traffic all day---their owners never took them out to "air out".

City driving is worse than HWY driving, as the stop and go puts stress on all the systems. I've had all my breakdowns due to city driving.
With 98k, your car has just been broken in.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »

this
X

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
It's just a car, drive the piss out of that mother fucker...
I like this philosophy.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 05:25:17 PM »

Change the oil,...then if you have time/money...flush cooling system (also, when you top off coolant in the radiator, use distilled/deionized water),...check the belts,...power steering fluids,...if the battery is more than four years old, change it.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
Change the oil,...then if you have time/money...flush cooling system (also, when you top off coolant in the radiator, use distilled/deionized water),...check the belts,...power steering fluids,...if the battery is more than four years old, change it.

This, the most simple yet important thing for an engine. Most people forget to change oil at regular intervals.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
Cars are consumables these days, if it breaks just go buy another one.
So I gather that you have 20k-80k to piss on a new car? Or are you talking about a good used car, which will run 8-20k, or are you talking a "piece of a car", like a police auction police cruiser (which has been run into the ground)?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 05:43:47 PM »
Real.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Lexus II

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »
Driving long distances in the heat can be tough on transmissions.  Keep your speeds under 75 and have your transmission fluid changed when you get to Florida and you should be fine.  Treat your car right and it will treat you right.

65stew

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 06:16:23 PM »

I drive a car with 405k miles. The driving around the city is much harder on a car than a long distance drive.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
x2

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »
put the garden hose in the exhaust pipe, while the car is running, open up the water on full blast. You must flush it out that way after a long trip.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »
put the garden hose in the exhaust pipe, while the car is running, open up the water on full blast. You must flush it out that way after a long trip.

you can also put the garden hose into the exhaust pipe, put the other end through the window, sit in the car and relax a bit.  ;D ;D ;D

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »
Your water pump is going to take a dump, seriously.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 06:44:20 PM »
I drive a car with 405k miles. The driving around the city is much harder on a car than a long distance drive.
Mercedes?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »
Probably a Jeep.
Mercedes is king when it comes to longevity.  Old Rolls-Royces seem to be able to take a beating and keep ticking beyond 200,000 miles.  I`m not so sure about the new ones, but the 70s and 80s Rolls-Royces are built like bank vaults and will outlive you if taken care of.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 06:50:55 PM »
Mercedes is king when it comes to longevity.  Old Rolls-Royces seem to be able to take a beating and keep ticking beyond 200,000 miles.  I`m not so sure about the new ones, but the 70s and 80s Rolls-Royces are built like bank vaults and will outlive you if taken care of.
I know a few Jeepers with over 200k on them, one with 390+k, still driven daily. Mercedesdoes pretty well as do Toyotas out here.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »
While we're on the subject I've seen quite a few mid 2000 Hyundai/Kia automobiles with over 200k on them and they're still running well.  Sure we've seen a few of the 2.0l lose head gaskets and lock the engine but if properly maintained they are built solid and similar to the early 90's Japanese cars and you can absolutely steal one due to depreciation.

Who would've thought.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
While we're on the subject I've seen quite a few mid 2000 Hyundai/Kia automobiles with over 200k on them and they're still running well.  Sure we've seen a few of the 2.0l lose head gaskets and lock the engine but if properly maintained they are built solid and similar to the early 90's Japanese cars and you can absolutely steal one due to depreciation.

Who would've thought.
Well Hyundai learned a lot from Honda, since Honda sold them the design and tooling for the old iconic Acura Legend.