Author Topic: Why did MuscleMayhem.com go under?  (Read 9656 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Is MuscleMayhem.com gone?
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 06:53:20 AM »
its still valuable, as soon as the domain points to some quality content google will crawl it all over again - but I agree if you offer them money you should give them less now.

Idiot that he is not selling it.

Yea, the backlinks never disapppear and the Alexa rank is decent even with it being delisted.  But every day its down, the value goes with it and it makes it harder to get it back running 
A

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »
Yea, the backlinks never disapppear and the Alexa rank is decent even with it being delisted.  But every day its down, the value goes with it and it makes it harder to get it back running 

well sooner or later the backlinks will disappear as well ;)

Did he ever say why he wouldn't sell it? might be an idea to go with a middle man - if you believe he will not sell due to spite or a grudge he holds against you.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:44 AM »
well sooner or later the backlinks will disappear as well ;)

Did he ever say why he wouldn't sell it? might be an idea to go with a middle man - if you believe he will not sell due to spite or a grudge he holds against you.

No, me and Chad have been pretty cool over the years.  I referred a couple of people over to him back in the day.  However, the lady who answered his emails and calls prob did.  Who knows.
A

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 07:27:43 AM »
Censorship killed that fucker, though, exactly as most of us sadly predicted. 

EXACTLY why it went down. It was once a great forum filled with some epic threads. The moderators thought it was better to censor everything with a personal agenda which lead to it's demise.
Elevate Your Image.™

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Why did MuscleMayhem.com go under?
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »
EXACTLY why it went down. It was once a great forum filled with some epic threads. The moderators thought it was better to censor everything with a personal agenda which lead to it's demise.
Correction,the moderators were instructed to censor certain things,no personal agendas,(on my part anyway)just doing what the higher ups wanted us to do.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 08:09:15 AM »
Correction,the moderators were instructed to censor certain things,no personal agendas,(on my part anyway)just doing what the higher ups wanted us to do.

That may be true but each moderator had their own agenda and censored their own stuff as well as what the Admin wanted and one even allowed a guy to openly sell steroids in the Chemical Warfare section.

Ultimately, you ended up with people either too afraid to post something for risk of banishment and just boring conversation.  Massive G was the biggest jackasses of them all.  He thought that as long as he posted a girl's titty every week that people would just overlook the censorship of the site.  Just doesn't work these days
A

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
Others may have had agendas,but I tried to be objective and just mod the way they wanted me to.

I certainly can`t speak for the other mods,but I thought I did a good job and used as much diplomacy as I could.

Ya` know,some posters there were only there to be dickheads as well as some mods too,kind of a 50-50 type deal.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 08:15:54 AM »
all I know is that 240 or bust was a popular mfer there.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 08:18:03 AM »
all I know is that 240 or bust was a popular mfer there.
It was always a happy day when you showed up over there!!  llol  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 08:33:23 AM »
It was always a happy day when you showed up over there!!  llol  ;D

perhaps we can unveil some of those old gifs, now that they're obsolete :)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »
perhaps we can unveil some of those old gifs, now that they're obsolete :)
Please do,just don`t do it on MM!!  ;D

The good old days of the most famous internet board war ever!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »
The good old days of the most famous internet board war ever!

I'm not sure it was a war... it was a little one-sided :)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
I'm not sure it was a war... it was a little one-sided :)
True!  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 08:55:50 AM »
That way of thinking hasn't been real popular since Nuremberg, '45-'46. Way to breathe new life into it, Oberleutnant.         ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
That way of thinking hasn't been real popular since Nuremberg, '45-'46. Way to breathe new life into it, Oberleutnant.         ;D
seig heil mein herr!  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »
45-46....so you would have been about 30 or 40 years old then Wes? 8)
I was 43,but who`s counting ?  lol  ;D

It`s tough geting old when your online "friends" keep reminding you over and over that your`re an old fuck!  :(

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 09:52:46 AM »
I was 43,but who`s counting ?  lol  ;D

It`s tough geting old when your online "friends" keep reminding you over and over that your`re an old fuck!  :(
We keed because we love. Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox.     ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 09:55:45 AM »
We keed because we love. Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox.     ;D

;D

L.L

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »
it sucked pretty bad at the end

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 10:05:02 AM »
Where are those GIF's 240?

Mayhem always sucked as far as i'm concerned..

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 07:31:24 AM »
Mayhem always sucked as far as i'm concerned..

People who were at least somewhat serious about their own bodybuilding or about the sport had a place to 'be serious' at Mayhem.  GetBig was *always* more entertaining, but although this place has been a great information source, Mayhem was more focused on the information element than on letting the guys have a little fun every now and again.

They did do a great job in giving McFarland a platform, though, and there were 100s and 100s of viewers who enjoyed his man-in-the-street event coverage.  RxMuscle should've had Singerman do an apprenticeship under him.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »

People dont realize that it costs money to keep a website up.  Oh, not one that has a few hundred people visiting, but one in which you upload pictures, downloads huge mega bandwidhs, and have a lot of visitors a day, which requires more than one processor (this site has 8 on one computer).   

It also requires time, commitment, and a lot of hassles from many people.   

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »
People dont realize that it costs money to keep a website up.  Oh, not one that has a few hundred people visiting, but one in which you upload pictures, downloads huge mega bandwidhs, and have a lot of visitors a day, which requires more than one processor (this site has 8 on one computer).   

That's true but that why I would have disabled the upload feature had I purchased Muscle Mayhem.  That would have cut down on the bandwidth having people to image link instead.  Better to use someone else's bandwidth and space than your own.  With that out of the way, you would only need about half the processors which could easily be paid by ad sponsors. 

BTW, I'm curious Ron as to how much it cost to run this site.  The server I use for my websites runs about 150 dollars a month

A

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »

I don't remember the one moderator's name (his avatar was Bubbles from 'Trailer Park Boys') who frequently censored my posts, but in a discussion on pro women's bodybuilding, I stated a position I've held for years - that the judges made mistakes in 1988 and again in 1996 that forever changed the landscape of the sport, and not necessarily for the better - and that post was deleted.  

When I complained, one of the other mods argued that my post was disrespectful to Kim C (who won the Ms. O) that year, even though what I said had nothing to do with her and everything to do with the judges.  

He then said that if I didn't like the censorship on Mayhem that I could go elsewhere.  I said I would, and did.  And looks like pretty much everyone else eventually got the same message, too.

I'm not one to wish failure upon anyone, but I do love being right, so yes, there's a bit of schadenfreude in this instance.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 08:10:48 AM »

They had the volunteers.  In bodybuilding/fitness, just as in most any other community, there's no shortage of people willing to be hall monitors, aka moderators.

With respect to cost, unless they just had a bad hosting deal - and let's be honest here, a lot of people who have generally successful sites aren't necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed - the bandwidth cost should not have been higher than $400-500/month.  Mike's a smart guy, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Chad would've always listened to him.