Author Topic: You're embarrassed to admit this....  (Read 7552 times)

snx

• Getbig IV
You're embarrassed to admit this....
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »
...and would never tell your friends because if they knew you liked the tune, you'd get mocked mercilessly. But, when this song comes on in the car, you lose your shit and start belting out the lyrics. Post up the tune!

BustinAss

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • GH is a helluva drug!
Re: You're embarrassed to admit this....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »

Excellent music and Phil (also with Genesis) is pure quality.

Music today and past 15 years is not able to compare in any means.

Often people say music is a matter of preference and taste so there is no real truth which is better.

To a certain degree this is true but also a large portion is not.

Music is like mathematics, a complex set of rules that has a very subtle and deep impaxt on the emotions.

In music there are rules as to what is considered good and what is just bad.

Look at classical music, very few appreciate it but none can deny the depth and thought that went into the music and therefore makes it time-less.

80's music was for me one of the best periods in music.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
I'm not embarassed to admit that at all, that's friggin good stuff, yo.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »

;D

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »
I've overcome the shame of liking faggy music, mainstream music, obscure music etc. But anyways, Al Bowlly and the big band music era is one of those genres that makes people look at me strange so I'll post it up.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »
phil was a nerd, it was a miracle that he ever got on tv. whos the black guy in the video must be from a halfway house and phil adopted the young african ?
A

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:22:05 PM »
I like the song.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »
good song. 8)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »
i wonder if that black guy was as polite as phil on the set?
A

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 02:29:10 PM »
whos the black guy in the video must be from a halfway house and phil adopted the young african ?

Philip Bailey from Earth Wind and Fire.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:35:28 PM »
I can sing the shit out of this song when I'm driving, which is fitting as I can't sing worth shit.      ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »
Huh?  Why would I be embarrassed?  Phil Collins is a longtime favorite of mine.  He had a great career with Genesis and his solo career is distinguished as well; his Face Value CD easily makes my list of top 10 disks--ever!  His No Jacket Required CD is pretty good too; I own them both.  Pair Collins up with Philip Bailey and you’ve got a winner!  

For those of you not familiar with Collins (where have you been?) you can sample some of his hits here.  btw, is there anyone who doesn’t like “In the Air Tonight”?

http://www.amazon.com/Hits-Phil-Collins/dp/B00000D9TQ/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1

You may be too young to realize this, but life becomes a lot better when you stop worrying about being “embarrassed” or worried about what other people think... particularly over things so inconsequential.  ::)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
On occasion I do like to play this old beauty while working out...

Followed by a nice cool-off sauna session consisting of...

"1"

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »
Why would I be embarrassed?  Phil Collins is a longtime favorite of mine.  He had a great career with Genesis and his solo career is distinguished as well; his Face Value CD easily makes my list to top 10 disks--ever!  His No Jacket Required CD is pretty good too; I own them both.  Pair Collins up with Philip Bailey and you’ve got a winner!  

For those of you not familiar with Collins (where have you been?) you can sample some of his hits here.  btw, is there anyone who doesn’t like “In the Air Tonight”?

http://www.amazon.com/Hits-Phil-Collins/dp/B00000D9TQ/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1

You may be too young to realize this, but life becomes a lot better when you stop worrying about being “embarrassed” or worried about what other people think.  ::)

You sound like the guy from "American Psycho"  ;D

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »

Once this song came out on my car ...My friend was like, "dude are you putting some music or what?" I told him oh Thats Abba, theyre on the Guinness book of records for turning down the biggest record-tour deal in music history" ...... cant think of a better definition of success ....

Later he asked me for the name of the song.

True story.    :)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
Anyone willing to look at muscle men in thongs (or aspires to be one) flex for their entertainment, or who buys magazines and videos devoted to this, should be way past the point of getting "embarrassed" over what music he listens to.  ;)

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »
phil was a nerd, it was a miracle that he ever got on tv. whos the black guy in the video must be from a halfway house and phil adopted the young african ?

It wasnt a miracle he was the drummer of Genesis,but the front man Peter Gabriel had enough of it went solo and they decided to have Phil as his replacement.

youre right thoug by today standars he wouldnt stand a chance is not about talent alone, is about Gaga-Biber-Beyonce-Enrique-Ludacris-PitBull no nerds looking allowed.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 02:56:02 PM »
Richard Marx.  One talented s.o.b right there!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
It wasnt a miracle he was the drummer of Genesis,but the front man Peter Gabriel had enough of it went solo and they decided to have Phil as his replacement.

youre right thoug by today standars he wouldnt stand a chance is not about talent alone, is about Gaga-Biber-Beyonce-Enrique-Ludacris-PitBull no nerds looking allowed.

Some of you Genesis fans may already know this, but Collins becoming the lead singer following the departure of Peter Gabriel was anything but automatic.  When Gabriel left, the band was in a funk (no pun intended).  They auditioned literally more than 400 different singers trying to find someone to replace Gabriel . . . but at the end of the day, they didn’t like any of them.

Collins took the job somewhat reluctantly; remember, he was really a percussionist—not a singer.  Still, his voice resonated with listeners and the rest is Genesis history.  8)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »

Some of you Genesis fans may already know this, but Collins becoming the lead singer following the departure of Peter Gabriel was anything but automatic.  When Gabriel left, the band was in a funk (no pun intended).  They auditioned literally more than 100 different singers trying to find someone to replace Gabriel . . . but at the end of the day, they didn’t like any of them.

Collins took the job somewhat reluctantly; remember, he was a percussionist—not a singer.  Still, his voice resonated with listeners and the rest is Genesis history.  8)

Thats because he isn't a really good singer.  He was one of the pioneers of heavy voice altering in the studio. In most of his songs his voice doesn't sound natural.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
Great song indeed.

Mine

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
Probably this for me - in fact anything by Hall and Oates:  ;D

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
All of these songs are 80's classics gentleman  ;D  definately the best decade of music ever!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

X