Author Topic: and people have the cheek to say mma is better than boxing.. chuckle !  (Read 12637 times)

SgtSpar

• Getbig III
Re: and people have the cheek to say mma is better than boxing.. chuckle !
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
I would argue that as the years go by your knock out tolerance goes down. Years of getting pounded doesn't necessarily toughen you up but may in fact "soften" you up.

I think you're on the right track, but missed it by a bit.  It isn't getting older that makes you more apt to get knocked out, it's getting knocked out, esp if it's one of those eyes roll up in the head, don't come around for 5 minutes, knock-outs.  A very good friend of mine that is a much more accomplished fighter than I ever was told me after he got knocked out really badly once, it seemed like he lost the will to fight it.  Every fighter has been rocked and been close to going out, but to some degree you can fight your way back up.  After a really bad knock-out, it gets easier to just kind of let it happen.  See Chuck Liddell for another good example of this.  Chuck was a monster, now it seems like he gets knocked out if a stiff breeze hits his chin.

chess315

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »
WTF does that even mean  ???
well evander hoylifield,mike tyson and many others wouldnt even be big enough to be top heavy weights. You cant fight a 240 to 280 lb man at 210-220 and some of the boxers are even short on top of that

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
He got clipped behind the ear with that left hook. By instict he went for that clinch. Five years ago he would of recoverd quick from that shot. He's way over the hill.

i wouldn't say that he is over the hill..atleast not in age. its just that he has taken to much abuse over the years... i mean he hasn;t been the same since crocop kicked him in the head really. then dan henderson knocked his head off after that. its been said that once you get knocked out that it could be the point of no return. that it might be easier to be knocked out the next time and so on. i don't know still one of the best IMO
irongearco.com

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »
Btw...almost forgot... f*ck boxing.

HOLY SHIT that's inspirational!!!!

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2011, 05:49:38 AM »
well evander hoylifield,mike tyson and many others wouldnt even be big enough to be top heavy weights. You cant fight a 240 to 280 lb man at 210-220 and some of the boxers are even short on top of that

::)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2011, 05:51:17 AM »
Generation nothingness approved!

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2011, 03:37:22 PM »

Boxing is DEAD.
  FF to 1:30. This was done by Jose Aldo an 145 pound guy.
  Now imagine what Crocop/Wanderley  or any  heavy/light heavyweight could do to a boxer.
  Move over boxing there's a new king in town.

Gracie Rules

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
  Boxing is DEAD.

Yeah , I agree boxing is dead http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13943609

Now imagine  any  heavy/light heavyweight could do to a boxer.

Yes, I agree  imagine .

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2011, 07:43:38 PM »
Yeah , I agree boxing is dead http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13943609

Yes, I agree  imagine .

;)

Gracie Rules

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »

;)

Anderson Silva Pro Boxing Match

Gracie Rules

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
 :)

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »
IMHO the size  of the  gloves  (between 4oz  MMA and  say Cleto Reyes 8 oz ) don't make  any  difference ,

You were right Che.

SgtSpar

• Getbig III
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »
You were right Che.

Too bad they don't mention anything about the amount of area the force is spread over, or how they are testing the amount of force.

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2011, 10:18:28 PM »
Boxing is the best combat sport period !
Just watch this 3 rounds battle for the WBA lightweight championship belt!
It happened yeasterday in Carson Califiornia !
Rios vs Antillon ( 7-9-2011)
Enjoy! 8)

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »
Boxing is dead, the GJJ guy is right, but, its not buried. Another Tyson type comes along and the whole world will take notice again. MMA will never be as big globally as the  majority of people just dont like it.

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
  • It's a little known fact
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
Boxing is dead, the GJJ guy is right, but, its not buried. Another Tyson type comes along and the whole world will take notice again. MMA will never be as big globally as the  majority of people just dont like it.
it took about 10 minutes time for MMA to sell out there ufc cards in Australia,Brazil,Canada,England and theirs actually speculation of a card in china...like i said earlier boxing is living off of what it used to be not what it is today...and the young people of the world have already showed they will invest there time and money into mma over boxing...what happens when an entire generation of those kids/young adults who grew up watching mma are running the show...

Sad thing is boxing was my 2nd favorite sport behind american football in the 80-90's...now it's not even in my top 5....

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:57 AM »

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2011, 02:42:36 AM »
I think you're on the right track, but missed it by a bit.  It isn't getting older that makes you more apt to get knocked out, it's getting knocked out, esp if it's one of those eyes roll up in the head, don't come around for 5 minutes, knock-outs.  A very good friend of mine that is a much more accomplished fighter than I ever was told me after he got knocked out really badly once, it seemed like he lost the will to fight it.  Every fighter has been rocked and been close to going out, but to some degree you can fight your way back up.  After a really bad knock-out, it gets easier to just kind of let it happen.  See Chuck Liddell for another good example of this.  Chuck was a monster, now it seems like he gets knocked out if a stiff breeze hits his chin.

I'm not going to try to give a technical answer, but the brain becomes bruised from collision with the inside of the skull. This bruising will not heal as effectively over time. This is basically how you achieve a KO: you shake the brain with sufficient force to impact against the skull.

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »
I'm not going to try to give a technical answer, but the brain becomes bruised from collision with the inside of the skull. This bruising will not heal as effectively over time. This is basically how you achieve a KO: you shake the brain with sufficient force to impact against the skull.

actually i believe that's how you achieve a concussion...and you can suffer a concussion without being knocked out...but regardless i agree with the basic premise of what your saying...

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »

Id take these 2 idiots straight to the ground and break them,easy

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2011, 10:36:26 AM »
did anyone watch the paul williams vs erislandy lara (boxing) fight saturaday?..seriosly how many more of these horrible decisions have tom happen before eveyone realizes how corrupt boxing is...as i said earlier...boxing has had more fixed outcomes threw history thatn every other sport combined...and we are still supposed to take this sport seriously?...after the klitscho/haye fight and williams/lara fight all in 7 days time im basically done with boxing...i might still read bout it from time to time but i would never invest a dime of my hard earned money on the sport of boxing...

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »
Id take these 2 idiots straight to the ground and break them,easy

yeah, whilst you've been spending 5 or so minutes trying to armbar mcclean from guard.. good old lenny has eaten half your face and pulled your knackers off  :D

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
did anyone watch the paul williams vs erislandy lara (boxing) fight saturaday?..seriosly how many more of these horrible decisions have tom happen before eveyone realizes how corrupt boxing is...as i said earlier...boxing has had more fixed outcomes threw history thatn every other sport combined...and we are still supposed to take this sport seriously?...after the klitscho/haye fight and williams/lara fight all in 7 days time im basically done with boxing...i might still read bout it from time to time but i would never invest a dime of my hard earned money on the sport of boxing...

Aren't all sports fixed in some way or another?

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2011, 04:37:59 AM »
actually i believe that's how you achieve a concussion...and you can suffer a concussion without being knocked out...but regardless i agree with the basic premise of what your saying...

Not sure of the distinction here. This came up in the Kongo/Barry thread that there are a few things ufc referees look for when calling a KO: eyes roll, limbs go limp, not breaking a fall etc. I don't know the medical definition of a concussion, but isn't a KO, just a mild concussion?