Author Topic: Is College Always Worth It? John Stossel says NO!! What say you?  (Read 2912 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Is College Always Worth It? John Stossel says NO!! What say you?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
BB is so funny, he mocks states and studies but spends more time posting them here than anyone...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »
That's debatable.  I think anytime you broaden your horizons, whether that is through education or life experience, it impacts how you think.  

Like you said... It's debatable.

I think after 18 years of thought process... a few years isn't going to just "change it".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »
Like you said... It's debatable.

I think after 18 years of thought process... a few years isn't going to just "change it".

I don't know.  Our brains are constantly developing.  Part of me thinks the same way I did when I was a kid (and I'm just an overgrown kid), but I really do process information differently than I did when I was 18.  Part of that is due to education, part due to maturity, part due to life experience. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
BB is so funny, he mocks states and studies but spends more time posting them here than anyone...

I admire BB in the fact that no one can really get over on him in a debate.  Not because he's right, but because he's a master at spinning, and changing the subject. 

I'd like to see him on the O'Reilly Factor.  Bill would give up, or just cut him off.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »
I admire BB in the fact that no one can really get over on him in a debate.  Not because he's right, but because he's a master at spinning, and changing the subject. 

I'd like to see him on the O'Reilly Factor.  Bill would give up, or just cut him off.
LOL, absolutely true.  BB is a master of BSpinfactoring. ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
I don't know.  Our brains are constantly developing.  Part of me thinks the same way I did when I was a kid (and I'm just an overgrown kid), but I really do process information differently than I did when I was 18.  Part of that is due to education, part due to maturity, part due to life experience. 

I doubt the education has anything to do with it... Maturity and life experience...sure... but education?

Nah.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 01:34:08 PM »
also, I wouldn't like to see BB on with Billy Orielly...  It would probably end up in an on screen love affair. :-X  Those two seem like two of a kind.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 01:35:29 PM »
also, I wouldn't like to see BB on with Billy Orielly...  It would probably end up in an on screen love affair. :-X  Those two seem like two of a kind.

haha!

BB is a Log Cabin Republican?  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 01:36:47 PM »
I doubt the education has anything to do with it... Maturity and life experience...sure... but education?

Nah.

Maturity and life experience take place during the educational process. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 01:38:41 PM »
Maturity and life experience take place during the educational process. 

Those things take place if you don't have an education anyway... So while they "MAY" take place during college, they certainly take place anyway... whether you go to college or not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »
Those things take place if you don't have an education anyway... So while they "MAY" take place during college, they certainly take place anyway... whether you go to college or not.

True.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »
True.

I don't know whether to shit or go blind.

:o :o :o

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »
haha!

BB is a Log Cabin Republican?  ;D
hahahaha

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »
I don't know whether to shit or go blind.

:o :o :o

You can do both.   :)

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
I come from a place that college degrees are frowned upon. My HS was a waste of time, nobody prepared us for college, most people never leave far from home, etc.

I think college is worth it. The title of this thread is misleading, the title has the word "always" in it. College is not always worth it. I know several people who aren't smart enough to make it in college. They will stay close to where they grew up, make about the same money their parents make, etc. In their case (which I find sad) then college would not be worth it.

However, in going to college and then seeing the behavior and thought processes of people that live where I grew up, it is like night and day. I'm not going to say that everyone should go to college, but I think everyone should be smart enough and have the right mindset to go to college.

Needless to say, not all colleges are equal.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 02:12:40 PM »
I agree with this.  Biggest mistake was in moving away from the classical format to a career format--changed the thinker to drone.

Exactly.  That's used to be the whole point of college.  To turn people into thinkers not just corporate drones ready to fit into a square corporate hole and "work".  Hell you can do that with high school. 

BeachBum what do you do when more and more people are going to college yet the US economy cannot support all these job seekers?  Are you honestly going to tell someone to "get an education" and reach their earning potential when those same good paying upper middle class jobs are disappearing.  Plus I'd like to know which degrees are paying $75K out of college compared to the number of people majoring in those degrees. 

Engineering, computer sciences, mabye accountants, maybe business degrees MIGHT earn you that type of income but on average a college degree graduate will be lucky if he makes $35K a year.  Medical school, law school, MBA's sure might make over $100K or way more.  But when it's all said and done they've invested WAY more than that into their education.  And in this economy with the rise of globalization and US kids competing with BILLIONS of worldwide college graduates hungry for their same lifestyle.......LMAO  GAME OVER! 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
I come from a place that college degrees are frowned upon. My HS was a waste of time, nobody prepared us for college, most people never leave far from home, etc.

I think college is worth it. The title of this thread is misleading, the title has the word "always" in it. College is not always worth it. I know several people who aren't smart enough to make it in college. They will stay close to where they grew up, make about the same money their parents make, etc. In their case (which I find sad) then college would not be worth it.

However, in going to college and then seeing the behavior and thought processes of people that live where I grew up, it is like night and day. I'm not going to say that everyone should go to college, but I think everyone should be smart enough and have the right mindset to go to college.

Needless to say, not all colleges are equal.

I agree with this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Exactly.  That's used to be the whole point of college.  To turn people into thinkers not just corporate drones ready to fit into a square corporate hole and "work".  Hell you can do that with high school. 

BeachBum what do you do when more and more people are going to college yet the US economy cannot support all these job seekers?  Are you honestly going to tell someone to "get an education" and reach their earning potential when those same good paying upper middle class jobs are disappearing.  Plus I'd like to know which degrees are paying $75K out of college compared to the number of people majoring in those degrees. 

Engineering, computer sciences, mabye accountants, maybe business degrees MIGHT earn you that type of income but on average a college degree graduate will be lucky if he makes $35K a year.  Medical school, law school, MBA's sure might make over $100K or way more.  But when it's all said and done they've invested WAY more than that into their education.  And in this economy with the rise of globalization and US kids competing with BILLIONS of worldwide college graduates hungry for their same lifestyle.......LMAO  GAME OVER! 

You know I'm not really convinced that the US economy cannot support educated job seekers.  My theory is that businesses are always looking for good people, whether they advertise for vacancies or not.  In terms of being successful in business, trade, etc., education is only part of the ingredients for success.  You have to sell yourself and perform.  Just getting the piece of paper doesn't guarantee someone will earn more money.  Just makes it more likely. 

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »
no college for me.... I hate being around people all the time anyways. I really don't know how some of you fellas live in places like New Jersey, New York, and go to college there.. . MY GAWD.... I got my ass out of the west coast..best thing I ever did. Really playing with the idea of getting 200 acre of land and starting a farm one day  ...pecans,blueberries,,sweet potates...  Unfortunately, not too many young loyal women out there in 2011 willing to live that lifestyle. God forbid Macey's or Walmart is more than 10 miles away  :)
l

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »
Schiff did a great vido on this insanity.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »
no college for me.... I hate being around people all the time anyways. I really don't know how some of you fellas live in places like New Jersey, New York, and go to college there.. . MY GAWD.... I got my ass out of the west coast..best thing I ever did. Really playing with the idea of getting 200 acre of land and starting a farm one day  ...pecans,blueberries,,sweet potates...  Unfortunately, not too many young loyal women out there in 2011 willing to live that lifestyle. God forbid Macey's or Walmart is more than 10 miles away  :)

Amen brother!  I want to get into grass fed beef and organic farming myself.  That is the last vestige of the American economy.  But I do love the westcoast. Other than the people it's gorgeous here! 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 05:16:48 AM »
I don't see it that way.  I remember one professor saying that the college experience impacts how you view the world and even changes the way you read the newspaper.  For example, if you think about it, there are a number of literary references in articles that only someone who has read Shakespeare et al. can pick up on.  That's a minor point, but it does open up more of the world to educated people, because many educated folks speak the same language.  

I was talking to someone recently who is a big literacy advocate (like I am) and he was pushing engineering majors.  He thinks regardless of what field a person ultimately chooses, that engineering really develops critical thinking.  

Also, the learning process definitely helps people communicate better, in part because it expands their vocabulary.  

College didn't affect the way I view the world (and I am an HBCU grad). Otherwise, I'd be bowing before the shrine of Obama as a card-carrying member of TK.  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 05:37:57 AM »

I loved college. Then again, I went to school in the Sunshine State.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:33 AM »
Yes it's worth it.  It not only increases your earning potential, it changes the way you think, and usually makes you smarter. 

I am shocked at this glimmer of perspicacity...

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 06:06:33 AM »
Intellectual activity in what ever form is looked down on in United States society.  

It is the reason public school students are not doing so well...It's not the teachers, (my sister is an english teacher) rather it is getting the students to "drink from the trough" so to speak, when they don't want to.