Author Topic: Is College Always Worth It? John Stossel says NO!! What say you?  (Read 2913 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The College Scam
By John Stossel

What do Michael Dell, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Mark Cuban have in common?

They're all college dropouts.

Richard Branson, Simon Cowell and Peter Jennings have in common?

They never went to college at all.

But today all kids are told: To succeed, you must go to college.

Hillary Clinton tells students: "Graduates from four-year colleges earn nearly twice as much as high school graduates, an estimated $1 million more."

We hear that from people who run colleges. And it's true. But it leaves out some important facts

That's why I say: For many people, college is a scam.

I spoke with Richard Vedder, author of "Going Broke by Degree: Why College Costs Too Much," and Naomi Schafer Riley, who just published "Faculty Lounges and Other Reasons Why You Won't Get the College Education You Paid For."

Vedder explained why that million-dollar comparison is ridiculous:

"People that go to college are different kind of people ... (more) disciplined ... smarter. They did better in high school."

They would have made more money even if they never went to college.

Riley says some college students don't get what they pay for because their professors have little incentive to teach.

"You think you're paying for them to be in the classroom with you, but every hour a professor spends in the classroom, he gets paid less. The incentives are all for more research."

The research is often on obscure topics for journals nobody reads......

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/07/06/the_college_scam_110470.html

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Re: Is College Always Worth It? John Stossel says NO!! What say you?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
Depends on why you go to college in the first place.  College graduates still earn more on average than high school alone graduates. 

Abandon every hope...

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
Sure, but do they make enough more to justify the massive amount of debt accumulated in student loans?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »
Sure, but do they make enough more to justify the massive amount of debt accumulated in student loans?

It all comes down to why you went in the first place.  If it's purely economical i think it would be fair to say the likelihood of you being able to pay off the loans, get a better job and enjoy a better lifestyle would all go in favor of the college graduate the majority of the time. 

If it's because you have a passion for a subject and are looking to acquire more knowledge then the debt is of little relevance. 
Abandon every hope...

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 09:37:07 AM »
Subsidized student loans is part of the reason why college is so expensive.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
It all comes down to why you went in the first place.  If it's purely economical i think it would be fair to say the likelihood of you being able to pay off the loans, get a better job and enjoy a better lifestyle would all go in favor of the college graduate the majority of the time. 

If it's because you have a passion for a subject and are looking to acquire more knowledge then the debt is of little relevance. 
you're missing a major point dealing with the overwhelming pressure from all sides to go to college.  You say it comes down to why they went in the first place.  Well I'll ask how many didn't think there was any other option but...  and that's what this is dealing with.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 10:03:06 AM »
Subsidized student loans is part of the reason why college is so expensive.
I think stossel has also talked about that if I remember right.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 10:07:58 AM »
Haha Stossel is such a fucking bag of dicks sometimes.  Seriously...........yeah ok.........those 4 people represent what.....0.0000004% of the population.  so everyone that doesn't go to college is going to be the next world's richest billionaire?  Gimme a break.  College isn't for everyone.  But it is necessary for a good majority of the population to get their foot into the workdoor of corporate America.  The problem is there are just not any jobs worth shit anymore.  The US economy has been destroyed and plundered for the last 50 years.  Those that didn't go to college back in the day could have a good solid middle class lifestyle doing blue collar work.  Not those jobs have either left the country or are being done by mexicans with a 4th grade education. 

Corporate America needs to take more responsibility and more accountability in bringing jobs back to the American people and taking pressure off the racket that is college.  They need to do more to hire people that are well qualified but don't have that piece of paper and they need to do more to train people.  Bottomline these corporations are walking away with billions and shitting on the American worker.  It's time they own up and give back to the American economy who made them filthy rich. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »
Haha Stossel is such a fucking bag of dicks sometimes.  Seriously...........yeah ok.........those 4 people represent what.....0.0000004% of the population.  so everyone that doesn't go to college is going to be the next world's richest billionaire?  Gimme a break.  College isn't for everyone.  But it is necessary for a good majority of the population to get their foot into the workdoor of corporate America.  The problem is there are just not any jobs worth shit anymore.  The US economy has been destroyed and plundered for the last 50 years.  Those that didn't go to college back in the day could have a good solid middle class lifestyle doing blue collar work.  Not those jobs have either left the country or are being done by mexicans with a 4th grade education. 

Corporate America needs to take more responsibility and more accountability in bringing jobs back to the American people and taking pressure off the racket that is college.  They need to do more to hire people that are well qualified but don't have that piece of paper and they need to do more to train people.  Bottomline these corporations are walking away with billions and shitting on the American worker.  It's time they own up and give back to the American economy who made them filthy rich. 

Did you go to nursing college? 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »
Did you go to nursing college? 

Yes I went to nursing school and paid for every cent of it through my own hard work and determination.  Nursing is a niche field.  It's a glorified technical job so to speak.  It requires a license, a good amount of technical skill and knowledge along with a college education yet you are paid hourly and treated pretty much like a skilled tradesman instead of a white collar professional.  It's hard to explain.  Nurses make good money.  It used to be a great career but now it is becoming saturated with new graduates and everyone is flocking to the profession.  Pay will come down a lot in the next 10 years.  Nursing pays the bills and I love having 4 days off a week.  But I'd never recommend anyone go into it and I'm out as soon as I can get something else lined up.  All the bullshit jokes and criticism aside like wiping old man's ass etc.......nursing is a tough job and you gotta be stupid to go into it and deal with the shit you deal with.  But it's not just nursing it's healthcare in general.  Even MD's are getting fed up and leaving in droves.  They are all overworked, overstressed and living a very poor quality of life........and those are the ones that still manage to make good money.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:01:27 AM »
Yes it's worth it.  It not only increases your earning potential, it changes the way you think, and usually makes you smarter. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
Yes it's worth it.  It not only increases your earning potential, it changes the way you think, and usually makes you smarter. 

No way.  Every dumbass and their brother goes to college nowadays.  Your average college student is so dumbed down it's pathetic.  That's what college used to be about.  But even in the last 20 years college has changed big time.  The college graduates I see and talk to nowadays are so limited in their ability to understand the world, government, monetary policy, history, and basic math and science.  In many cases college makes you dumber.  Some of the most intelligent people I know are people that read and study and learn on their own.  Just look at all the college athletes.  College standars have dropped significantly.  But what other American standards haven't.  It's sad really.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »
No way.  Every dumbass and their brother goes to college nowadays.  Your average college student is so dumbed down it's pathetic.  That's what college used to be about.  But even in the last 20 years college has changed big time.  The college graduates I see and talk to nowadays are so limited in their ability to understand the world, government, monetary policy, history, and basic math and science.  In many cases college makes you dumber.  Some of the most intelligent people I know are people that read and study and learn on their own.  Just look at all the college athletes.  College standars have dropped significantly.  But what other American standards haven't.  It's sad really.

I think the person who graduates from college and is dumber than when they started is pretty rare.  A college graduate isn't necessarily a "smart" person once he or she has graduated, but they are almost always "smarter" than when they started.  They're usually able to communicate better.  They qualify for better jobs.  They're able to think critically better than when they started. 

Is this always the case?  No.  But most often it is.  And it's hard to argue with the earning potential. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
Here's the rest of the article:

Also, lots of people not suited for higher education get pushed into it. This doesn't do them good. They feel like failures when they don't graduate. Vedder said two out of five students entering four-year programs don't have a bachelor's degree after year six.

"Why do colleges accept (these students) in the first place?"

Because money comes with the student -- usually government-guaranteed loans.

"There are 80,000 bartenders in the United States with bachelor's degrees," Vedder said. He says that 17 percent of baggage porters and bellhops have a college degree, 15 percent of taxi and limo drivers. It's hard to pay off student loans with jobs like those. These days, many students graduate with big debts.

Entrepreneur Peter Thiel, who got rich helping to build good things like PayPal and Facebook, is so eager to wake people up to alternatives to college that he's paying students $100,000 each if they drop out of college and do something else, like start a business.

"We're asking nothing in return other than meetings so we make sure (they) work hard, and not be in school for two years," said Jim O'Neill, who runs the foundation.

For some reason, this upsets the left. A Slate.com writer called Thiel's grant a "nasty idea" that leads students into "halting their intellectual development ... maintaining a narrow-minded focus on getting rich."

But Darren Zhu, a grant winner who quit Yale for the $100,000, told me, "Building a start-up and learning the sort of hardships that are associated with building a company is a much better education path."

I agree. Much better. Zhu plans to start a biotech company.

What puzzles is me is why the market doesn't punish colleges that don't serve their customers well. The opposite has happened: Tuitions have risen four times faster than inflation.

"There's a lot of bad information out there," Vedder replied. "We don't know ... if (students) learned anything" during their college years.

"Do kids learn anything at Harvard? People at Harvard tell us they do. ... They were bright when they entered Harvard, but do ... seniors know more than freshman? The literacy rate among college graduates is lower today than it was 15 or 20 year ago. It is kind of hard for people to respond in market fashion when you don't have full information."

Despite the scam, the Obama administration plans to increase the number of students getting Pell grants by 50 percent. And even a darling of conservatives, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, says college is a must: "Graduating from high school is just the first step."

We need to wake people up.

I see the point that Stossel and Thiel are trying to make. It's like Lebron James, leaving high school and going straight to the NBA. If you can make hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars immediately or fairly quickly, why waste time with college? You can always go to college, AFTER you get that money.

At the same time, if you can afford it and can go get your college degree after high school, I'd say go for it.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
I think the person who graduates from college and is dumber than when they started is pretty rare.  A college graduate isn't necessarily a "smart" person once he or she has graduated, but they are almost always "smarter" than when they started.  They're usually able to communicate better.  They qualify for better jobs.  They're able to think critically better than when they started.  

Is this always the case?  No.  But most often it is.  And it's hard to argue with the earning potential.  

Yeah but that's my point.  What earning potential?  Most of the corporate jobs 99% of the people do out there don't need a college degree.  I had plenty of corporate jobs in my life and I could have done them all with my eyes closed.....even the couple of management jobs I had.  Corporate America and the college industry have created this artificial market where the demand and earning potential for all these so called "degree" necessary jobs is nothing but a house of cards.  And it's imploding as we speak.  That's why there are so many college degreed out of work Americans chasing too few jobs.  I think Americans in general are just fucking dumb.  Even the college educated ones......well maybe they aren't dumb but they are just uninformed.  Spoon feed whatever the media, and their government feeds them.  College kids are nothing but groomed corporate lackeys.... not all but many...they will make great corporate employees but thinkign outside the box?  No way.  

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Plus the first 2-3 years of any college education is mostly just a rehash of high school.  You really don't start getting into serious course work until your junior or senior upper level division classes. 

My advice to anyone nowadays is think long and hard about the type of life you want.  College is not the guarantee it used to be.  Even very accomplished, college educated Americans are looking for work.  College grads nowadays are competing with people who have twice their experience and twice their level of education.  Learn skills........learn how to do shift and be self sufficient.  Own land.  Get into natural resources......that is where true life, financial independence and freedom comes from.  Organic farming is a perfect example of a great industry to get into that doesnt take a college education. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
Yeah but that's my point.  What earning potential?  Most of the corporate jobs 99% of the people do out there don't need a college degree.  I had plenty of corporate jobs in my life and I could have done them all with my eyes closed.....even the couple of management jobs I had.  Corporate America and the college industry have created this artificial market where the demand and earning potential for all these so called "degree" necessary jobs is nothing but a house of cards.  And it's imploding as we speak.  That's why there are so many college degreed out of work Americans chasing too few jobs.  I think Americans in general are just fucking dumb.  Even the college educated ones......well maybe they aren't dumb but they are just uninformed.  Spoon feed whatever the media, and their government feeds them.  College kids are nothing but groomed corporate lackeys.... not all but many...they will make great corporate employees but thinkign outside the box?  No way.  

Here are some stats on earning potential.  Pretty significant.

College Degree Nearly Doubles Annual Earnings

Census Bureau confirms earning power of higher education
By Robert Longley, About.com Guide

Just in case you still had some doubts, the U.S. Census Bureau has released data proving the substantial value of a college education in the United States. Workers 18 and over sporting bachelors degrees earn an average of $51,206 a year, while those with a high school diploma earn $27,915. But wait, there's more. Workers with an advanced degree make an average of $74,602, and those without a high school diploma average $18,734.

. . .

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/censusandstatistics/a/collegepays.htm

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »

I agree completely, I had a job making "college money" that required a college education before I graduated high school.

I have cousins with bachelors degrees that are working at Avis and Enterprise.  ;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
Here are some stats on earning potential.  Pretty significant.

College Degree Nearly Doubles Annual Earnings

Census Bureau confirms earning power of higher education
By Robert Longley, About.com Guide

Just in case you still had some doubts, the U.S. Census Bureau has released data proving the substantial value of a college education in the United States. Workers 18 and over sporting bachelors degrees earn an average of $51,206 a year, while those with a high school diploma earn $27,915. But wait, there's more. Workers with an advanced degree make an average of $74,602, and those without a high school diploma average $18,734.

. . .

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/censusandstatistics/a/collegepays.htm

You're obviously missing the point here. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 12:57:38 PM »
Plus the first 2-3 years of any college education is mostly just a rehash of high school.  You really don't start getting into serious course work until your junior or senior upper level division classes. 

My advice to anyone nowadays is think long and hard about the type of life you want.  College is not the guarantee it used to be.  Even very accomplished, college educated Americans are looking for work.  College grads nowadays are competing with people who have twice their experience and twice their level of education.  Learn skills........learn how to do shift and be self sufficient.  Own land.  Get into natural resources......that is where true life, financial independence and freedom comes from.  Organic farming is a perfect example of a great industry to get into that doesnt take a college education. 

Those first two years are part of the learning process.  The whole academic environment provides tremendous opportunities for growth.  A lot of the benefits are intangible (e.g., better analytical skills, improved social skills, etc.).  

I don't think a person has to be a college graduate to be "smart," successful, or have a good life.  But if the question is whether the whole experience is worth the cost, I say "yes."  

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
Yes it's worth it.  It not only increases your earning potential, it changes the way you think, and usually makes you smarter.  

Yeah, I don't agree with this... People think the way they are wired to think.

Coursework teaches you fundamental things because of the area of study (for instance if you're an engineering major you will learn specific mathematical formula for doing certain types of work), but your thinking process doesn't change. You have been programmed to think the way you think since the day you were born, collegiate courses are too far in life to change your thought process.

Truly, it has more to do with what you are studying... If you are going to be a doctor or a lawyer, obviously you need the coursework that goes along with the area of study, however, let's say you are going to be in the entertainment field, or perhaps something related to other areas of study, perhaps a technical field or what not... Odds are, it's a waste.

I use very little of my degree for what I do on a day to day basis in my field of work.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »
Yeah, I don't agree with this... People think the way they are wired to think.

Coursework teaches you fundamental things because of the area of study (for instance if you're an engineering major you will learn specific mathematical formula for doing certain types of work), but your thinking process doesn't change. You have been programmed to think the way you think since the day you were born, collegiate courses are too far in life to change your thought process.

Truly, it has more to do with what you are studying... If you are going to be a doctor or a lawyer, obviously you need the coursework that goes along with the area of study, however, let's say you are going to be in the entertainment field, or perhaps something related to other areas of study, perhaps a technical field or what not... Odds are, it's a waste.

I use very little of my degree for what I do on a day to day basis in my field of work.

I don't see it that way.  I remember one professor saying that the college experience impacts how you view the world and even changes the way you read the newspaper.  For example, if you think about it, there are a number of literary references in articles that only someone who has read Shakespeare et al. can pick up on.  That's a minor point, but it does open up more of the world to educated people, because many educated folks speak the same language. 

I was talking to someone recently who is a big literacy advocate (like I am) and he was pushing engineering majors.  He thinks regardless of what field a person ultimately chooses, that engineering really develops critical thinking. 

Also, the learning process definitely helps people communicate better, in part because it expands their vocabulary. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
I don't see it that way.  I remember one professor saying that the college experience impacts how you view the world and even changes the way you read the newspaper.  For example, if you think about it, there are a number of literary references in articles that only someone who has read Shakespeare et al. can pick up on.  That's a minor point, but it does open up more of the world to educated people, because many educated folks speak the same language. 

I was talking to someone recently who is a big literacy advocate (like I am) and he was pushing engineering majors.  He thinks regardless of what field a person ultimately chooses, that engineering really develops critical thinking. 

Also, the learning process definitely helps people communicate better, in part because it expands their vocabulary. 

I agree with the references and the ability to communicate, but that doesn't really have anything to do with "how" you think.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
I agree with the references and the ability to communicate, but that doesn't really have anything to do with "how" you think.

That's debatable.  I think anytime you broaden your horizons, whether that is through education or life experience, it impacts how you think. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »
I agree with this.  Biggest mistake was in moving away from the classical format to a career format--changed the thinker to drone.