Author Topic: Remember when gas prices skyrocketed under Bush...  (Read 1664 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Remember when gas prices skyrocketed under Bush...
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
BF, what news stations, or newspapers do you have a beef with for not talking about the gas prices enough?  I'm guessing you won't want to answer this.... lol...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 12:18:46 PM »
Definitely a double standard.  33 you should post the one clip in this thread about the media's treatment of the rise in gas prices under Bush and Obama. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
I don't believe in the double standard because the first time was such a shock.  Now the public and media have been able to become almost accustomed to the future - high oil prices. 
Abandon every hope...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »
I don't believe in the double standard because the first time was such a shock.  Now the public and media have been able to become almost accustomed to the future - high oil prices. 

Yeah, its kind of a no brainer and i think its just shows bias to think its some OB media love child. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »
Yeah, its kind of a no brainer and i think its just shows bias to think its some OB media love child. 

::)

Oh yeah, how quick we forget the msm blaming bushcheney/enron/haliburton/saudi connection/ blackwater/ etc etc 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
I really don't care, nor listen to the the media that much, to me it's more about people you talk to who were so anti-Bush and the "Of course gas is high, he's a texas oilman....blah, blah, blah....."  Yet now those same people have come to the realization that there are way to many factors involved to lay all the blame at the presidents feet alone.....which is what I said under Bush and can now say without being a hypocrit, about Obama.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:43 PM »

Nah.  There is a very distinct difference in how the media and some Congressional members have reacted to rising gas prices under Bush and Obama.  33 had a thread a little while back that showed the different spin.  It was actually pretty funny. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
No to mention breaking news every time a soldier died. 

He was responsible for their deaths wasn't he?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »
Nah.  There is a very distinct difference in how the media and some Congressional members have reacted to rising gas prices under Bush and Obama.  33 had a thread a little while back that showed the different spin.  It was actually pretty funny. 

The difference is familiarity.  Nothing more. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »

Yeah of course.   Same as the disastrous UE situation where bush was blamed for 5% UE, yet every excuse under the sun is made for obama when its over 9%.   Got it.   ::).   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »

Hardly.  Check out this clip:

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »
oZMO AND THE OTHER LIBS TO EXIT STAGE LEFT RIGHT NOW. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAH   2000 people were saved because of high gas prices?  That's golden! lololololol

Just showing a few clips of whacked out reporting doesn't mean much.  My contention isn't about what OB said before or after.  He's a politician, meaning he's going to say whatever he has to to get votes, just like Michelle, Sarah, Mitt, Herb, etc... 

My contention is the outrage over high gas prices isn't the same because of familiarity.  businesses had to adjust and that involved some pain.  The adjustment now isn't as painful.   Back then, when Diesel got up to $5 a gallon people were stealing it from farm tanks.  It was big news every where.  People were doing all sorts of weird things to cope with it.  That's not happening the same way now and it isn't  big news.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »
Your contention is bullshit clouded by the fact that you voted for this scam artist and still are having a hard time grasping the magnitude of the failures your voted helped contribute to, all the while thinking you were doing the exact opposite. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
oZMO AND THE OTHER LIBS TO EXIT STAGE LEFT RIGHT NOW. 

No likely, 33333, i am not a tool or subject to the influence for any old vid that I comes across like you are.  Just because 3 or 4 news stories are picked out of thousands doesn't mean those stories are indicative of the media as a whole.  

Birthers unite!  Form of:  Some dumb old racist broad and her dumbed down internet talk show and the "damning evidence of OB's kenyan birth she cannot tell us about."

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
Your contention is bullshit clouded by the fact that you voted for this scam artist and still are having a hard time grasping the magnitude of the failures your voted helped contribute to, all the while thinking you were doing the exact opposite. 

Here you go again with your stupid accusation about me voting for OB, what next?  Are you going to try and defect the discussion by bringing up UE?

Oh yeah, you already went there.   ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAH   2000 people were saved because of high gas prices?  That's golden! lololololol

Just showing a few clips of whacked out reporting doesn't mean much.  My contention isn't about what OB said before or after.  He's a politician, meaning he's going to say whatever he has to to get votes, just like Michelle, Sarah, Mitt, Herb, etc... 

My contention is the outrage over high gas prices isn't the same because of familiarity.  businesses had to adjust and that involved some pain.  The adjustment now isn't as painful.   Back then, when Diesel got up to $5 a gallon people were stealing it from farm tanks.  It was big news every where.  People were doing all sorts of weird things to cope with it.  That's not happening the same way now and it isn't  big news.   

Public opinion is often driven by whatever the media decides to focus on.  That clip shows very clear distinctions in coverage that have nothing to do with familiarity.  The clip shows numerous examples of the media and members of Congress talking about how Bush policies were responsible for high gas prices and how awful those prices were, then some of those same people/organizations (or ones like them) trying to say the rise in gas prices is a good thing under Obama.  Hard to find a better example of bias than that clip.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »

hahahaha...Obama and his followers - owned!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 02:07:35 PM »

hahahaha...Obama and his followers - owned!
The thread was started about how the media is failing to talk about the gas prices.  I have not seen that the media is failing to talk about gas prices.  When the prices jumped several months ago the media was all over it.  And they have regular updates on it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »
Public opinion is often driven by whatever the media decides to focus on.  That clip shows very clear distinctions in coverage that have nothing to do with familiarity.  The clip shows numerous examples of the media and members of Congress talking about how Bush policies were responsible for high gas prices and how awful those prices were, then some of those same people/organizations (or ones like them) trying to say the rise in gas prices is a good thing under Obama.  Hard to find a better example of bias than that clip.

Then why doesn't FOX news and every repub get on a soap box ASAP??

Why isn't Sarah having a "Gas" rally?

Why isn't all the repub candidates making this a BIG issue?

Public opinion is often driven by what the media focuses on and often times it is not.  

Don't get me wrong, there is tons of bias in the media.  I don't disagree, but a big reason there isn't the same outrage is because we have been there before, not because of a media bias.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
The thread was started about how the media is failing to talk about the gas prices.  I have not seen that the media is failing to talk about gas prices.  When the prices jumped several months ago the media was all over it.  And they have regular updates on it.

That is not the issue - its how they frame the debate. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
That is not the issue - its how they frame the debate. 
well you're the fucking lawyer here, not me lol...  I guess that they talk about the raising price of gas constantly in the newspaper and media just isn't the same as when they talked about the price of gas under bush...  ::)  Do we need a fucking jury now... lol..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »
well you're the fucking lawyer here, not me lol...  I guess that they talk about the raising price of gas constantly in the newspaper and media just isn't the same as when they talked about the price of gas under bush...  ::)  Do we need a fucking jury now... lol..

No.  Its how they frame it.   

GWB:    Americans are hurting and losing their jobs due to high gas prices, why hasnt your administration cracked down on enron and done more for those desperately in need in this time of economic hardship?

Obama:   don't you think it might actually be good for prices to stay high so we can get off me oil and push more alternative energy, etc etc???

See the difference?   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
Then why doesn't FOX news and every repub get on a soap box ASAP??

Why isn't Sarah having a "Gas" rally?

Why isn't all the repub candidates making this a BIG issue?

Public opinion is often driven by what the media focuses on and often times it is not.  

Don't get me wrong, there is tons of bias in the media.  I don't disagree, but a big reason there isn't the same outrage is because we have been there before, not because of a media bias.  

I have no idea why they aren't jumping all over this.  There are a lot of things the media should be all over, including the Gunrunner scandal and numerous things Obama has said and done (the violation of his own view of when military action is permissible is one example).  

I understand the point you're trying to make.  Not sure I would go that far.  A crisis is a crisis.  I think if we have another financial meltdown or another housing meltdown, there were still be outrage.    

This gas thing isn't that big of a deal, but it does demonstrate bias (at least to me).  

I do agree that some issues that repeatedly arise or that hang around for a while tend to get less coverage and produce less outrage.