Author Topic: Alistair Overeem Explains Why He Was Removed From Strikeforce GP  (Read 2623 times)

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
Alistair Overeem's run in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix came to a screeching halt on Monday, when he was removed from the tournament due to not agreeing to fight on Sept. 10.

MMA Fighting corresponded with the Strikeforce heavyweight champion via e-mail on Tuesday to find out why he was removed from the tournament and what's next for him.

Ariel Helwani: Are you disappointed that you were taken out of the tournament?
Alistair Overeem: Yes, of course I'm disappointed. Winning the tournament was my number one goal. I understand their position, but they have to understand mine, and I'm disappointed we couldn't work it out.

It has been reported that you have one fight left on your contract, is that true and how are negotiations going for an extension?
I don't like to talk about my contract negotiations, but the rumors about me pulling out of the tournament because of that are false. Everybody is trying to find reasons why I was pulled out of the tournament, but I can tell you this: it's not that difficult. Strikeforce promised me a date in the fall (October/November), I acted on it and chose to go on holiday and start my training in August. Zuffa/Showtime then decided to do it in September and then the ball was in my court, and I had to decline because I know it's too short of time to be prepared 100 percent Instead of postponing the event they decided that the show must go on and use one of the alternates. It's their choice, and I respect that but that don't change the fact that nobody benefits from this situation; the fans, the promotion, the event and myself are the ones that are missing out on a great tournament and a great fight. The only one that benefits out of this whole situation is Daniel Cormier, so I wish him best of luck, and I hope eventually to fight the winner of the tournament for the belt.

Showtime delayed the tournament in April, so why couldn't they delay it this time around?
I don't know but my guess is that when Zuffa took over Strikeforce there were other interests. If you look at the month of October, you can see three UFC shows and two of them are big and have title fights as the main event. That makes you wonder if they want a Grand Prix semi-final in between on Showtime.

Sept. 10 is seven weeks away. Why isn't that enough time for you to prepare for a fight?
At the moment I have started training by myself because most of my team members and trainer are on holiday, so I didn't start my real training camp yet. I have to get sparring partners from other countries and fly them in and arrange accommodations. Everything was according to plan and that was to start my fighting program on August 1. So let's take that date as my starting point, then you have to be in the States a week before the fight. So if you calculate it, then you have just four weeks and that's not enough to have a good and well prepared training for such a big fight.

You've always been known as an active fighter, for example, you competed in a combined 14 MMA and K-1 bouts in 2009-10, however, you've fought just once in 2011. Why have things changed?
There are many explanations: the level of competition and the stakes are different. It's safe to say that all those opponents aren't as good as 'Bigfoot,' the other reason is that K-1 matches are very different to train and you don't need a very long training camp if you compare it to MMA. The most important is that you can fight multiple times if you don't interrupt your training. If the September date was confirmed right after the Werdum fight, it was no problem to get in shape because I would have skipped my holiday and organized the training camp earlier. If you go on a holiday and you stop training and enjoy life by eating things you're normally aren't allowed or going out instead of sleeping then your momentum is gone and you have to start all over again and that cost extra time as well. There is a reason why UFC champions only fight two times a year.

Have you talked to Zuffa since you were removed from the tournament? If so, what's the state of your relationship with them today?
No, I didn't speak to anybody at Zuffa. I only communicate with my management and they talk to them. If you ask me what the state of our relationship is, I think nothing has changed. It would be silly to think that they don't understand my decision.

How badly injured is your toe? When can you resume training?
It's not that bad, otherwise I would have canceled [the Silva fight] because of that injury alone. It's more that my body isn't pain-free, there are minor injuries but they prevent you from training 100 percent. If you have just four-to-six weeks, and you have those minor things, then you are jeopardizing your training. I have started my training recently, and on August 1, I will have a training camp.

When do you think you will fight for Strikeforce again?
I don't know.

Is there a chance that you will fight for someone else before fighting for Strikeforce again?
I hope so. I like to be active, and like I told you, I will be ready according to the first date we agreed with Strikeforce and that is in October.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: Alistair Overeem Explains Why He Was Removed From Strikeforce GP
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
Shitty move by Dana and Co. that deprives the fans of seeing Overeem fight.  >:(
!

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Shitty move by Dana and Co. that deprives the fans of seeing Overeem fight.  >:(
Dana is worst than wwe promoters...
S

suckmymuscle

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
Dana is worst than wwe promoters...

But according to MindSpin, a single company having a monopoly of all MMA is good because it allows for unified belts. Too bad that, when there is no competition, a company can give consumers a shitty product for a steep price, and the consumer has nowhere else to turn. It is either take it or leave it.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:26:09 PM »
Refusing to fight = pussy move.

He's scared of BigFoot.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »
Refusing to fight = pussy move.

He's scared of BigFoot.
::)

This is the type of gem we get from "Chaos."  ::)   
!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »

This is the type of gem we get from "Chaos." 

Lol,  the guy who is K-1 champion and the World's finest MMA heavyweight striker afraid of an unskilled giant who relies only on his size and massively tough jaw to win fights.

The only reason Fedor lost to that guy is because he allowed the fight to go to ground where Silva used his 290 lbs frame to pin Fedor down and then dash his face in. He won only due to the ridiculous size advantage of 65 lbs - almost the equivalent of four weight classes! - and much greater reach. At the same bodyweight or even if Silva were 30 lbs heavier than Fedor, Silva would get destroyed. If Fedor had avoided the takedown and kept the fight standing, he would have ground out a decision despite the ridiculous size difference - the evidence: Fedor won the first round according to the judges scorecards.

Against Overeem, Silva wouldn't enjoy these advantages. Silva is only about 30 lbs heavier than Overeem, and they have about the same reach. There is no way Silva would even lend a punch on Overeem given how fast and precise with his striking Overeem is. I predict either KO, TKO or a decision in Overeem's favor if Overeem and Silva fought.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
This whole "I don't have enough time to train" excuse is a bunch of bullshit and a cowardly way to get himself out of an asskicking.

That dude stepping up to take his place is a real fighter, win or lose, he's not whining about time and he's not scared to fight.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »
Here's Dana with Ariel Helwani giving his take on the subject, as well as other news.

Edited to provided the youtube video now uploaded by Ariel:

!

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 02:41:04 AM »
At the end of the day, true champions fight regardless of a toe injury (perhaps he watched the Haye - Klitschko fight and thought "fuck it" :D). He has been a notorious fight dodger as of late even if nobody else wants to admit it. Silva will never be a pushover for anyone, he will be a threat to every fighter he faces because he is lightning quick for a guy his size and has power to back it up.

Overeem is the one true disappointment in this but atleast it gave Cormier the chance to shine - he is certainly one of the brightest stars shining in MMA just now. His potential could see him crack the top 3 at his peak, and whilst this will be his biggest test to date a loss does not end his career.