Author Topic: Boehner: House GOP willing to compromise on debt  (Read 1481 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Boehner: House GOP willing to compromise on debt
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »
WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker John Boehner says House Republicans are willing to compromise on a budget deal to increase the government's ability to borrow as long as the package does not include tax increases.

Boehner told reporters Thursday that most House Republicans want to find accommodation with Democrats on the budget package passed by the House Tuesday that would raise the debt ceiling only after Congress passes a balanced budget constitutional amendment.

The Senate is taking up the package Thursday. When asked whether House Republicans would refuse to compromise on the package, Boehner said, "I'm sure we've got some members who believe that, but I do not believe that would be anywhere close to the majority."

Boehner continued to draw the line on tax increases, saying he would not support them.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: Boehner: House GOP willing to compromise on debt
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
What a surprise ::)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »
What a surprise ::)

Now that boehnner has folded, a deal is close...

Obama and Boehner Close to Major Deal, Officials Say

Source: New York Times

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration has informed Democratic Congressional leaders that President Obama and Speaker John A. Boehner were starting to close in on a major budget deal that would enact substantial spending cuts and seek future revenues through a tax overhaul, Congressional officials said Thursday.

With the government staring at a potential default in less than two weeks, the officials said the administration on Wednesday night notified top members of Congress that a bargain with Mr. Boehner could be imminent. The Congressional leaders, whose help Mr. Obama would need to bring a compromise forward, were told that the new revenue tied to the looming agreement to increase the debt limit by Aug. 2 would be produced in 2012 through a tax code rewrite that would lower individual and corporate rates, close loopholes, end tax breaks and make other adjustments to produce revenue gains.

Officials knowledgeable about the conversations between the administration and Congressional leaders said the details of the potential package remained unknown but they presumed it would include cuts and adjustments in most federal programs, including Medicare.

However, officials on all sides of the tense negotiations warned that no firm deal was in hand yet, and tried to downplay the progress — if only to stave off attempts to block it or influence its shape by hardliners on both sides of the debate on taxes and spending.

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »
So basically we are getting spoon fed a bunch of horse shit, then when we actually find out what is in the deal, the US tax payer will be fucked yet again.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
So basically we are getting spoon fed a bunch of horse shit, then when we actually find out what is in the deal, the US tax payer will be fucked yet again.

repubs WILL achieve some victory here.  hell, ANY stopping in spending is a win.  Both sides will claim a win as always.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:45:58 PM »
Obama Presses Skeptical Dem Leaders On Big Deal With Boehner
Brian Beutler | July 21, 2011, 1:26PM

A Congressional aide briefed on ongoing negotiations between House Speaker John Boehner and President Obama says the two principals may be nearing a "grand bargain" on to raise the debt limit which would contain large, set-in-stone spending cuts but only the possibility of future revenue increases.

"All cuts," the aide said. "Maybe revenues some time in the future."

The status of negotiations has Democratic aides on both sides of the Capitol nervous and unhappy. And the notion that the impasse over the debt limit may be nearing an end is sparking denials from both the White House and Boehner's office -- in part, perhaps, because neither side has buy-in from their parties on a consensus plan.

Read more...http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/obama-press-...

________________________ ________________________ _______________________

Oh snap - if true - this is ok by me under the circumstances.   

DU set to explode. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
the water's boiling over at the Tea Party.
getting their bags ready.....
w

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 01:06:41 PM »
the water's boiling over at the Tea Party.
getting their bags ready.....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
Boehner won't have the support from the House if he cuts a "grand deal" with Obama.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »
Boehner won't have the support from the House if he cuts a "grand deal" with Obama.

Here is the problem - you have obama and reid to deal with.   

Personally - would cut no deal at all, raise the limit by 2 trillion, yet cut 8 trillion over ten years. 

Then hand it off to reid and obama and tell them to fuck off. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »
Speaker Boehner Calls the Rush Limbaugh Show, Says There is No Deal on Budget
RushLimbaugh.com ^ | 07/21/2011 | Rush Limbaugh

RUSH: We're so happy to have with us the Speaker of the House, John Boehner. I'm glad that we had a chance to talk to you here, Mr. Speaker, because people are confused with all of these leaks as to what's going on.

SPEAKER BOEHNER: Well, Rush, there is no deal. No deal publicly. No deal privately. There is absolutely no deal. Our focus --

RUSH: Are you talking about a deal, though?

SPEAKER BOEHNER: Pardon me?

RUSH: Are you talking about a deal in secret?

SPEAKER BOEHNER: Our focus right now is getting the Senate to follow us in the House and pass cut, cap, and balance. I believe that we've got to act to prevent a default and to prevent a downgrade of our nation's credit rating, and the best way to do that is to enact cut, cap, and balance. But let me be clear: I believe that is the best course of action. I've said all the way along that we've gotta keep the lines of communication open. That's why Leader Cantor and I have talked with Mitch McConnell. We've talked to Nancy Pelosi. We've talked to the president. We talked about fallback options if in fact cut, cap, and balance does go down; and I do think it's our obligation to have a fallback plan if that doesn't work.

RUSH: Well, but that's what everybody is worried about: What is the fallback plan? A congressional aide is out there today saying that the deal's been struck. He's unnamed, he's on Fox, he's saying, "It's $3 trillion of cuts with no tax revenue." National Journal says three trillion in cuts with "insignificant" tax revenues. So a lot of people out here are of the opinion that Obama is the one who ought to be caving. He's the one that doesn't have a plan. He's forcing you to compromise with yourself. He's done great damage to the economy, and people want it to stop.

SPEAKER BOEHNER: I understand. I'm concerned about the nation defaulting on its credit rating. I'm concerned about us not doing anything about our debt, which will cause our credit rating to fall -- and which then would mean everybody's interest rates go up. I think that's irresponsible. Frankly we've had looked at a half a dozen fallback plans. None of which, none of which, are all that appetizing. That's why we continue to support cut, cap, and balance.

RUSH: So you're convinced that a default would make us unable...? We were to be unable to service our debt if there's a default?

SPEAKER BOEHNER: I'm concerned that we're getting into uncharted territory that could wreak great havoc on our nation, and I don't think it's necessary to get into that unknown zone and take the chance -- and I, frankly, believe that we've gotta find a way to cut our budget deficit, cut our debt, and balance our budget.

RUSH: Why is it not Obama's responsibility to do that? He's the one that's put us in this position.

SPEAKER BOEHNER: It would have been nice if the President would have put a plan to the table months ago, but the President has refused to put any plan on the table. It's obviously been driving me right up a wall.

RUSH: He wants you to take the heat for whatever happens.

SPEAKER BOEHNER: Yeah, but I think at the end of the day he knows that he's the commander-in-chief, he's the president of the United States, and HE will take the heat.

RUSH: Well, a lot of people are concerned that you are his lifeline to reelection and that that's how he sees you, and that if he can get you to act in any way that can be portrayed as a cave that he wins, and that's what people are deathly afraid of.

SPEAKER BOEHNER: Rush, I'm trying to do what I taught my kids to do; the same thing my parents taught me to do: You do the right things for the right reasons, good things will happen.

RUSH: All right, Speaker Boehner thanks much.

SPEAKER BOEHNER: Thank you, Rush.

RUSH: I wish we had more time, but we don't. Thanks very much for the time here. END TRANSCRIPT

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 04:20:32 AM »

Rep Curt Clawson said on Oct 30th that obama and boehnner are cutting some secret last minute deal.

and BOOM we just saw it.   1.1 trillion for 9 months.  Repubs have been handcuffed for half of their new term, just like that.

Boehnner and obama re in bed now, no denying it at all.