Author Topic: Owen vs Bret  (Read 1635 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Owen vs Bret
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:02:02 PM »
Forget titles and popularity, who really was better?

I say Owen. Well respected, and multifacted wrestler. I think he may have went on to surpass Bret.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Owen vs Bret
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:52:11 AM »
Owen was smaller & lighter than Bret, and could therefor do some of the acrobatic stuff that Bret couldn't.

Both were good ring workers, but with different styles.
Owen worked a faster pace, but I think Bret got more out of his matches by creating an emotional hook for the fans.

IMO, Own beat Bret in the aerial and gymnastics departments, but I'd give "storytelling" points to Bret.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »
Owen was smaller & lighter than Bret, and could therefor do some of the acrobatic stuff that Bret couldn't.

Both were good ring workers, but with different styles.
Owen worked a faster pace, but I think Bret got more out of his matches by creating an emotional hook for the fans.

IMO, Own beat Bret in the aerial and gymnastics departments, but I'd give "storytelling" points to Bret.

I have to agree.  Owen's ringwork was flashier, but Bret was more of a total package, with stronger storytelling and ring psychology.  Also, and this always killed me with Owen (RIP):  he'd have a 4-5 star match, come out of the ring, and totally botch the post-match interview.  That was the thing, lack of mic skills, that I thought always put Bret over Owen, and Bret was no master of the stick.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »
I think Owen was much more charismatic than Bret. Also, I think that with Bret, wrestling was his life while Owen saw it as a way to make money for his family then retire to Calgary. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
It's funny, because I always thought the opposite in regards to charisma mass.  for me Bret was head and shoulders above Owen in that category.  One thing that really helped Bret was being in the Hart Foundation more or less out of the gate in the WWF, which helped him get established without having to use the mic to do it.  Idiots in charge now don't get that, which was a traditional way to get a talent over who wasn't the best on the stick (ie: Eaton, R. Gibson, etc...") was by putting them in a TT, and/or having a mgr who could do the talking for them. 

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »
It's funny, because I always thought the opposite in regards to charisma mass.  for me Bret was head and shoulders above Owen in that category.  One thing that really helped Bret was being in the Hart Foundation more or less out of the gate in the WWF, which helped him get established without having to use the mic to do it.  Idiots in charge now don't get that, which was a traditional way to get a talent over who wasn't the best on the stick (ie: Eaton, R. Gibson, etc...") was by putting them in a TT, and/or having a mgr who could do the talking for them.  
I agree with that.. Bret  had the advantage of being with Anvil Neidhart, who was able to carry him in a lot of promos. I never really liked Bret's mic work until he turned heel with the anti-American angle, his promos with the New Hart Foundation were incredible. His promos before that were good...a lot of substance but not much style, while guys like Flair had both.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
Bret any day of the week. He's P4P best Champion that ever lived. There's no one he couldn't beat except a WM III Hulkster.

P4P, I'd go with HBK.