Author Topic: Anybody can give me advice on this subject?  (Read 3858 times)

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
Anybody can give me advice on this subject?
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:58:40 AM »

I posted the question on the "Natural Section" but in one week I got only 8 viewers and zero answers:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=389114.0

This is why I try and post it here, hoping to be more lucky this time; your help would be appreciated a lot guys.
Thanks.

---

Hi to all, I would like to have a little help form you guys.

What is the best way for a lifetime natty of 37 years old to train?

How many times a week?
How many total sets per session or week?

I'm tired of asking this and getting the same usual reply: being old and natty it would be better for me to go play with sand.

Some stats that may help you:

I'm 6' (182 cm);
25% bodyfat more or less and weight is 207 lbs (94 kg);
I train in a basement with access to bench press, barbells, dumbells, home-made parallels as well as chinning bar
I train since 1992

I really hope I get an answer from someone with experience and thank you all in advance for your time in helping me; this kind answer could be helpful maybe also for others.

North of Italy

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Anybody can give me advice on this subject?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »
It is really up to the individual and his goals.

Generally, a natural athlete needs to train 3-4 days a week and keep the workouts around 45min to 1 hour. Certian muscle groups can be high volume but i believe anything more than 12 "working" sets per bodypart is overkill if you are training with intensity. Make sure you are cycling your rep ranges and poundages. Every 3-4 weeks change up your routine and do different exercises and rep ranges. Never stick to the same workout for more than a few weeks UNLESS you are making good progress. As soon as you hit a wall, change it up.

Everyone is a bit different. You are only 37, you are not old by any means and you can still make gains if you are eating right and getting the proper rest. I found the best results came from working in the 8-12 rep range for a few weeks followed by a few weeks of working sets in the 4-6 rep range, Max-OT style. Then change up the routine and repeat.

I wish i could give you a perfect answer but there really isn't a cookie cutter routine that works for everyone. Since you have been training for a long time i am assuming you know what works for you. Stick with the movements that provide pain free workouts. The older you get the more careful you need to be with your body.

Again this is just my opinion, i trained natural for 7 years and made some very good progress. I am sure other people will disagree with me but this is just what i have found to work for natural athletes.

8)

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »
Thank you very much Overload...I know maybe is old question but I really was thinking nobody would answer!

When I was younger I was really suffering from overtraining (really don't know why since should be the other-way-round), now my real problem seems to be cutting away the fat, so I guess my metabolism changed.

This coupled with the fact that poundages that were normal 10 years ago are starting to made me feel pain in elbows, knees, wrists and shoulders (note that I workout anyway with weights that are very low because I'm not strong at all) and the rising in fat levels are making everything a little complicated and frustrating.

I'm considering giving hi-reps (15/20) a try, above all because of pain and recurring injuries, but being a natty I think this is not the way to even maintain the little that I have achieved in almost 20 years of training.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again mate
North of Italy

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
I posted the question on the "Natural Section" but in one week I got only 8 viewers and zero answers:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=389114.0

This is why I try and post it here, hoping to be more lucky this time; your help would be appreciated a lot guys.
Thanks.

---

Hi to all, I would like to have a little help form you guys.

What is the best way for a lifetime natty of 37 years old to train?

How many times a week?
How many total sets per session or week?

I'm tired of asking this and getting the same usual reply: being old and natty it would be better for me to go play with sand.

Some stats that may help you:

I'm 6' (182 cm);
25% bodyfat more or less and weight is 207 lbs (94 kg);
I train in a basement with access to bench press, barbells, dumbells, home-made parallels as well as chinning bar
I train since 1992

I really hope I get an answer from someone with experience and thank you all in advance for your time in helping me; this kind answer could be helpful maybe also for others.

Hello Italian Lifter and thanks for the PM also,

My setup is similar to yours in that I have a home gym, Squat rack, Barbell Bench press, Incline Press etc.... and I have DBs all the way to 150.

I like to do 12 sets a day one body part each day, about 6 days a week.

Here is what I am currently doing:

Monday-Chest-Barbell Bench 4 sets, Incline Bench Press- 4 Sets, DB Flys- 4 sets.
Tuesday-Legs-Squats 4 sets, Leg Extensions 4 sets, Leg Curs 4 sets
Wednesday-Biceps-4 sets Barbell Curl, 4 sets of 21`s with EZ curl, DB slow concentration curls standing
Thursday-Shoulders- 4 sets DB Arnold Press, 4 sets Upright Rows, 4 sets Levrone DB finishing exercise
Friday-Triceps-4 Sets Close grip Bench, 4 sets Skull Crushers, 4 sets Tricep bar Skull Crushers with Press at the end
Saturday-Back-Pullups until I get to 60, 4 sets Bent Over Rows, 4 Sets close Grip Rows with a Tricep Bar.
Sunday-Off

That is just an Example of a week.  I also vary the exercise constantly so I do different ones all the time, just whatever I feel like doing.  My rep ranges also vary from low to high but I usually take each set to failure or close to failure.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
The best way is the way that works for you. You mention higher reps because of pain/injuries, if that works cool.
I do 4 days a week:
Monday - legs
Tues - chest/triceps
Thurs - back/biceps
Fri - shoulders/traps

Throughout the week I throw in various forearm/calf movements.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 12:05:52 AM »
3 or 4 days a week lifting weights mate.

Remember that alot of muscles get overlap from when you work other muscle groups so they are not geting hit just once a week.

What are your goals first ? are you wanting to drop bodyfat , add more muscle etc

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 05:46:06 AM »
What cankles said...it's what best for you
for me,
Mon-legs
Tue-chest,bi's
Wed-back,tri's
Thur-shoulders,traps,rear delts

....if I have a late softball game on Fri and have time I'll do arms,if not then Fri,Sat, and Sun off.

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »
First of all I would like to thank everybody for the precious suggestions:

TA, nice to know that even with a well equipped home gym it's possible to get excellent gains. I like the idea of working only one bodypart per session. I always feel tired when it's time to work on the second muscle group of the day, so maybe this could be a solution.

Chaos, I never tried to do a push/pull solution i.e. I usually couple chest+bis and lats+tris for example: don't you feel tired doing biceps after all the pull-ups, lat machine or rowing?

WillG, my goal, since it's not possible for me to get stronger because of all the part injuries and the risk of getting new ones, I would like to drop fat. Maybe with a high rep scheme 15/20 reps could be useful? What do you think?

Calvin, you feel it's necessary to work on the rear delts? You do it for mass or to prevent injuries from too much bench pressing i.e. front delts too developed?

I'll give the hi-rep a try, Serge Nubret style lolz, I suppose I should not expect the same results!!!!

Thanks again to all, ciao
North of Italy

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
Bi's aren't tired after back and tri's aren't tired after pressing, been doing this split for quite a number of years, works good for me.

As far as dropping fat goes, more reps isn't going to cut it, shorter rest times between sets will. Since you're in your garage, you can set up a giant set scheme and crank out an extremely intense workout in a short period of time.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!