Author Topic: What PC you guys using?  (Read 7235 times)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: What PC you guys using?
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2011, 03:17:39 PM »
Sales? Or the games that I like to play?

I think our RTS franchise was excellent, Red Alert 3 was great.

I think Battlefield 3 will be excellent... The betas that I've played are awesome. Crysis was way ahead of it's time... The Crytek engine was too powerful for even the best hardware when it was released.

Of course the Maddens, NHLs, and FIFAs sell the best.

I do really like the character animations on FIFA and NHL as well... very fluid and extremely life like.

Mass Effect 2 was also fantastic.

Yeah I meant for you to play.  Not sales lol

Yeah I heard it took a work horse of a pc to play the first Crysis!

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »
These Apple guys are full of shit.  17" laptop for 2700$ because they are safe from viruses.  Ops, I have a 17" Dell Studio for 700$, and haven't had a virus in 18 mths, just use Chrome and Ad-ware Live, which blocks everything that tries to upload.  I know I'm too poor for an Apple.  

The only thing I ever used an Apple for was General Physics Lab.

Apple has snob factor. They have good graphics but not that much different to a pc. In most cases pc is better with more choices and performance

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »
I love these "let's lie about our shit" threads  :D

Exactly... people lie about everything... being natural or not being natural... welcome to getbig.
Gracie Rules

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »

I never understood why, but i asked a "Genius" at the Apple store and they said that my warranty would be void if i had anything Blu-Ray done to my Mac.  >:( My P.C. is doing just fine which really shocks me.
Becuase of $$$. He wants to force people the dl the "kind of high def" movie from iTunes.
Anyway, have you looked into external blu-Ray drives? They can't void you warranty if you do that.
A

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »
Becuase of $$$. He wants to force people the dl the "kind of high def" movie from iTunes.
Anyway, have you looked into external blu-Ray drives? They can't void you warranty if you do that.

Will most likely do that.  8) I hate going and talking to the Geniuses.
D

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »

In what can probably be called the most lackluster hacking threat imaginable, it would appear that Apple MacBook batteries are susceptible to hacking. According to a new Forbes report, the fault lies with the battery control chips. Apparently they are vulnerable to attack and can leave a MacBook bricked or worse.

According to Forbes, security expert Charlie Miller who first discovered the vulnerability states, “The batteries’ chips are shipped with default passwords, such that anyone who discovers that password and learns to control the chips’ firmware can potentially hijack them to do anything the hacker wants. That includes permanently ruining batteries at will, and may enable nastier tricks like implanting them with hidden malware that infects the computer no matter how many times software is reinstalled or even potentially causing the batteries to heat up, catch fire or explode.”

Apparently, Mr. Miller discovered two distinct passwords after going over a 2009 MacBook battery software update. “Using those keys, he was soon able to reverse engineer the chip’s firmware and cause it to give whatever readings he wanted to the operating system and charger, or even rewrite the firmware completely to do his bidding.” After that Miller could manipulate the battery functions at will.

It may seem like a trivial point of attack, but by going after the battery control chip, a skilled hacker could potentially install all kinds of malware and it would be incredibly difficult to delete.

According to Miller, “You could put a whole hard drive in, reinstall the software, flash the BIOS, and every time it would reattack and screw you over. There would be no way to eradicate or detect it other than removing the battery.”

Miller plans on exposing this potentially devastating threat at this year’s Black Hat security conference in August. He is also expected to demonstrate a potential fix for the problem. Hopefully, Apple will issue an update soon after to protect MacBook users from malicious battery hacks.

If you need the password.... just ask the internet. ;)        fanboys they never learn.
Gracie Rules

reppingfor20

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
anti virus software for pc's is for fucking idiots who don't know how to use computers.

TEAM Nasser

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »
These Apple guys are full of shit.  17" laptop for 2700$ because they are safe from viruses.  Ops, I have a 17" Dell Studio for 700$, and haven't had a virus in 18 mths, just use Chrome and Ad-ware Live, which blocks everything that tries to upload.  I know I'm too poor for an Apple. 

The only thing I ever used an Apple for was General Physics Lab.

I think if you spec out the exact same machine as the apple, you will find that while the cost is slightly higher, it's not 2,000 dollars higher.

Often times the Apple machines have little niceties that do add up when you buy them on a PC.

Not that I'm saying that they are the greatest thing around, but the cost argument is not entirely valid.

Just use what you like... They all have pluses and minuses and at times, good and bad.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/06/apple-makes-more-selling-1-mac-than-hp-does-selling-7pcs/

Apple Makes More Selling 1 Mac Than HP Does Selling 7PC’s!

We all know that Macs are quite popular, despite being a bit high in price. We also know that Apple makes a pretty decent profit off of their computers, but just how much might surprise you: as it turns out, Apple makes more from selling 1 Mac than HP makes from selling 7 PCs!

According to a research note from Peter Misek, a Jefferies & Company analyst, Mac’s have a gross profit margin of 28% for Apple, who brought in nearly $5 billion from selling 3.76 million Macs last quarter. Dividing this up gets you an average sale price of $1323.40. When you then multiply that by 0.28 (to figure in Apple’s profit margin), Apple makes $370.55 for every Mac

If we contrast this data with NPD’s data, and figure in HP’s approximately 8% profit margin from sales, we find that HP probably makes around $52 for each PC sold. Simply dividing $370.55 by $52, and you end up with the number 7.13 – meaning that Apple makes more than 7 times as much profit?

Is this a testament to how great the Mac is, or is this a sure sign that Apple is making way too much off of their customers, and needs to lower prices? Personally, as long as I feel they continue to bring a good value for the price, I’m not complaining.

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2011, 09:34:50 PM »
Apple makes some good laptops and a fair workstation, but if you know what the hell you're doing you can out spec their workstation for thousands less.  I've used both pc and mac workstations professionally and I wouldn't buy anything other than a pc.  Clients don't know the difference.

reppingfor20

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »
Apple makes some good laptops and a fair workstation, but if you know what the hell you're doing you can out spec their workstation for thousands less.  I've used both pc and mac workstations professionally and I wouldn't buy anything other than a pc.  Clients don't know the difference.

you can also run Mac OS on pc with attachment on motherboard or something.

TEAM Nasser

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2011, 06:54:03 AM »
A picture paints a thousand words--especially if that picture shows Vista and XP dialog boxes sprinkled with references to "DNS servers" and Internet protocols.

This Twitpic post is a prickly reminder of the ghosts of Windows past. In the photo (below), McDonald's makes a valiant effort to help hapless owners of laptops running Windows Vista or XP make a Wi-Fi connection in its restaurants. Inadvertently, the photo also makes a statement on the complexity of Windows versus Apple's Mac.

As is immediately apparent, the pamphlet shows the connection to a Mac with OS X as a snap.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20083928-64/mac-vs-pc-via-mcdonalds-wi-fi-guide/#ixzz1TJVjfcI0

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »

With the launch of any major software release, you can always expect a few bugs to pop up here and there, but you don’t usually have to worry about a month old hard drive crashing. That is unless you were unlucky enough to have purchased an iMac equipped with Seagate 1TB hard drive between May and July 2011.

“Apple has determined that a number of Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems, are failing  under certain conditions.”

Apple has initiated the “iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program” to help those affected with defective drives. Apple will replace any effected 1TB Seagate drive for free, so if you think that you may have one of these drives, then you should replace it as soon as possible. It goes without saying of course, that you should backup any and all important data before getting your hard drive replaced. The new drive is likely to only include the operating system and nothing more.

Defective hard drives? MacBook batteries that can be hacked and explode? 

Way to go Apple.
Gracie Rules

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »
A picture paints a thousand words--especially if that picture shows Vista and XP dialog boxes sprinkled with references to "DNS servers" and Internet protocols.

This Twitpic post is a prickly reminder of the ghosts of Windows past. In the photo (below), McDonald's makes a valiant effort to help hapless owners of laptops running Windows Vista or XP make a Wi-Fi connection in its restaurants. Inadvertently, the photo also makes a statement on the complexity of Windows versus Apple's Mac.

As is immediately apparent, the pamphlet shows the connection to a Mac with OS X as a snap.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20083928-64/mac-vs-pc-via-mcdonalds-wi-fi-guide/#ixzz1TJVjfcI0

This is really an unfair representation of wireless networking on Vista.  It takes three click to set up a new wireless connection under Vista, I just counted.  XP on the other hand was a dog when it came to setting up new wireless networks.  I believe this is due to the fact that wireless networks were not ubiquitous when the OS was released.  Ever try to set up a wireless network in OS9, very similar in difficulty to Windows XP.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »
This is really an unfair representation of wireless networking on Vista.  It takes three click to set up a new wireless connection under Vista, I just counted.  XP on the other hand was a dog when it came to setting up new wireless networks.  I believe this is due to the fact that wireless networks were not ubiquitous when the OS was released.  Ever try to set up a wireless network in OS9, very similar in difficulty to Windows XP.

Wireless was definitely around in 2001 when XP was released.

Maybe not EVERYWHERE, but it was definitely around. OS X was released in March of the same year... Made wireless very easy.

One thing about Apple... They are usually the first company to "standardize" on newer tech. First with Firewire... First to make SSD a real standard... Lots of things they have done bring newer tech to prominence.

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
Wireless was definitely around in 2001 when XP was released.

Maybe not EVERYWHERE, but it was definitely around. OS X was released in March of the same year... Made wireless very easy.

One thing about Apple... They are usually the first company to "standardize" on newer tech. First with Firewire... First to make SSD a real standard... Lots of things they have done bring newer tech to prominence.

Never said it wasn't around, It was not ubiquitous at that time and Microsoft dropped the ball on developing an idiots interface for connecting to networks in XP.  Vista made it dead simple.

Yeah, Apple developed IEE1394 and abandoned it because USB killed it in the marketplace.  How did they standardize SSD's again?  The SSD's I'm using say Intel and Micron.

I will admit, my Macbook Pro makes a pretty good Windows 7 laptop.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
Never said it wasn't around, It was not ubiquitous at that time and Microsoft dropped the ball on developing an idiots interface for connecting to networks in XP.  Vista made it dead simple.

Yeah, Apple developed IEE1394 and abandoned it because USB killed it in the marketplace.  How did they standardize SSD's again?  The SSD's I'm using say Intel and Micron.

I will admit, my Macbook Pro makes a pretty good Windows 7 laptop.

I'm not talking about drive manufacturers, I'm talking about proliferating the market place. The Macbook Air made huge leaps into making SSDs the normal hard drive.

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »
I'm not talking about drive manufacturers, I'm talking about proliferating the market place. The Macbook Air made huge leaps into making SSDs the normal hard drive.

It was Samsung really, Apple did a knockout marketing job by making them a $1000 option for the first Airs.  Incidentally I bought one of the first gen ones for a friend in France for $2700!  The euro was pretty strong at the time.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
Got a 4ghz 6 core with 16gb ram here so I can be on top of my portfolio, any mac users?Are you an Ipad guy?

Close, mines 3 ghz, everything else is same. Apple blows.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2011, 06:19:17 AM »

Close, mines 3 ghz, everything else is same. Apple blows.
And why does apple blow?
A

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
And why does apple blow?

You know he cannot afford one and that is the reason why.  8)
D

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »

I don't know why Mac users get so defensive when you call them idiots. I mean, Apple is a company that has built its entire user base around the fact that its users can't do simple things like turn their computers on.

Windows has had the right mouse button standard for many, many years. The context-sensitive menu that pops up on right-click radically improves efficiency. Apple has finally started including a right button with some Macs.

In Windows, each application has its own menubar. On Mac, there is only one menu bar and it is replaced with the menus of each application as that app becomes active. This is confusing and becomes especially perplexing when an application is on a second monitor but its menubar is on the first monitor.

In Windows, you can drag any edge of a window to resize it. On Mac, you can only resize a window by dragging its lower right corner. This is really frustrating when the lower right edge of the window is off the screen. In that case, you have to first drag the window to make the lower right corner visible.

Apple computers cost more than Windows PCs for equivalent-power hardware.

Apple computers use proprietary hardware and cannot be upgraded with more powerful motherboards as technology improves. Windows PCs use standard form factors and any component can be upgraded.

Software Availability - Though many might argue that anything you might need is available for Mac, and though almost all generic task software is, industry specific software is not. For example, if you own.. say a lawnmower repair shop, you might want software written exclusively to run lawn mower repair shops. You just won't find it on the shelf or by mail order for the Mac, while you have several to choose from for Windows, maybe even for free or cheap as shareware downloads.

You might argue that you can adapt database and spreadsheet software to need, but it's just not as easy. Advantage to Windows.

Raw Speed - Windows PCs have a serious edge here. Where time is money, processor speed can be very important. Regardless of how hard Mac advertising attempts to claim that the slower clock speed Macs are really just as fast as a PC, it just ain't so and proven so by every bench test out there. If you have the "need for speed" in gaming, software development, 3D rendering and other applications, Windows is the clear winner here.

Also remember that Microsoft makes a lot of software for the Mac including Microsoft Office which was created by a separate department for the Mac.

Plus no blu-ray.

Oh!!! Thanks to this thread i found this crap lost inside of the trunk... probably was there for months.
Gracie Rules

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Bigtime weak link, Id be getting that replaced ASAP
I installed Crysis 2 and the two 8800 GTS's in SLI are holding their own at Very High Settings and 1920 x 1080 resolution. The frame rates are well over 30 per second even during combat scenes. Of course the newer cards will blow mine out of the water. I had to reduce the clock rate on one of the cards (Super clocked version) to match the other one because it was overheating causing slow downs after a few minutes. Now the game runs fine. The card still gets hot though (90 celcius for superclocked and 80 for the second card).