Author Topic: Shortened muscle bellies- long term effects of bad form with very heavy weights?  (Read 13907 times)

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
After seing the recent pics of Gaspari, I wonder: What causes the change in appearance, especially of biceps and triceps? Gasparis arms look like his muscle-bellies have gradually been replaced with tendons, like some ongoing muscle tearing? Both triceps and biceps are now very short, and much shorter than when he was young.

Other older pros does not have this problem. For instance Robby Robinson: http://www.robbyrobinson.net/

You can also see this in younger pros. The worst example is Branch Warren, but King Kamali is another example. Both Warren and Kamali has that "creeping" insertion think going on, where it gradually gets worse.

What is the cause of this? Constant micro-tearing due to sloppy form and momentum with too heavy weights? Or something else? Any relationship with palumboism? Visually, there is a resemblance.

NN

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
I noticed the same thing with colemans biceps after circa 2005-2006. In 2007 his arms looked like shit in the FDB pose eventhough they were still big and ripped.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
I dunno I think his biceps are just smaller.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
I heard a theory that over time, muscles shorten from hypertrophy. They get bigger, thicker, occupy more volume, but the attachments get longer and thus the muscle gets a bit shorter.

Not sure if it's true but it makes sense.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
I dunno I think his biceps are just smaller.
x2  I can't think of a reason why the muscle would shorten... ??? ???

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
Age and not on same amounts as when competing

Natural Man

• Getbig V
maybe muscles arent meant to be hammered compulsively all life long, maybe it's quite an extremistic, vain occupation especially when all your life revolves around it... Maybe it's the proof you should be doing other things at some point.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
After seing the recent pics of Gaspari, I wonder: What causes the change in appearance, especially of biceps and triceps? Gasparis arms look like his muscle-bellies have gradually been replaced with tendons, like some ongoing muscle tearing? Both triceps and biceps are now very short, and much shorter than when he was young.

Other older pros does not have this problem. For instance Robby Robinson: http://www.robbyrobinson.net/

You can also see this in younger pros. The worst example is Branch Warren, but King Kamali is another example. Both Warren and Kamali has that "creeping" insertion think going on, where it gradually gets worse.

What is the cause of this? Constant micro-tearing due to sloppy form and momentum with too heavy weights? Or something else? Any relationship with palumboism? Visually, there is a resemblance.

NN

I heard once that Gaspari used terrible form, STARTED off as a powerlifter, and basically when he transitioned to bodybuilding did anything to get massive weights up.  It was much later he learned about form, feel, isolation but by then it was too late... genetically he was left with a huge, but short-inserted muscles.  Mostly his arms were the worst, but the rest was pretty good IMHO.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Age and not on same amounts as when competing

Yes + lower dosages for sure, I forgot this point in my analysis.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
I see this a lot with forearms. Jay and Branch are perfect examples. Compare recent pics of them to ones taken several years ago. You can see how their forearms are all tendon now. They didn't start out that way.

LATS

• Getbig IV
rich looks awesome.. if he took what he was back then and gained the size all back the arms would appear fuller.. being smaller will give that look..

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
I'm bumping this. As I am getting older I notice I've lost some of my muscle belly esp on my left tricep where it inserts on the elbow. So where once my tri would tie in really low on my elbow, there is now a tendonis gap of maybe 1-2 inches before the muscle starts. U see it in a lot of older men.

Funny how if a guy starts lifting n juicing late in life like someone posted a vid recently of some old guy, not Colbert, if u start late many still have full muscle bellies cuz they worked desk jobs their whole lives n never abused their muscle.

I think some of the m belly loss comes from constant injury not just from lifting but working hard manual labor jobs all your life.

Comments?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Thats why Levrones approach was smarter for longevity.

Go full blast for 4 months then fuck off for the rest of the year.

And you need some heavy sets in there for optimal growth. But every exercise doesn't need to be.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
Gaspari and labrada currently both look like they abuse the shit out of GH

Gaspari looks terrible, wide waist, deformed face and arms

V Man

• Getbig IV
I always thought GH had something to do with it....like maybe it causes the tendons to grow (lengthen). I am about the same age as Jay and Branch or older and have been training just as long but have not noticed any muscle shortening yet. Have never taken GH and only started experimenting with gear around the age of 34-35. Older guys on GH all have that same look....that melted shiny skin look....Gaspari, Stallone, Cahling, Labrada etc.

Necrosis

• Getbig V

NN

Just saying that I made this exact post like two months ago stating this very thing, right after the genova video. It's from lack of stretching and poor form causing microtrauma and spindle shortening. His is wrecked.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
They just shorten from age. I notice in my legs and arms.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Even back in the day he looked like shit.  Most overrated bodybuilder of all time.  

Narrow clavicles, short arms, potato head, wide waist, back poses sucked, no separation, etc...

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Just saying that I made this exact post like two months ago stating this very thing, right after the genova video. It's from lack of stretching and poor form causing microtrauma and spindle shortening. His is wrecked.
I'm theorizing its a myriad of things. I don't do drugs. U can see this phenom in non bb too. It happens to reg working stiffs too as they age. It seems to me that tricep shortening is the most common. I'm
Gonna start stretching more. Always did have good form. Also getting that lil pointy elbow syndrome a bit. Just years n years of lifting I guess.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
I think its nothing more than age but made worse by years of drug abuse.  I have seen weight trainers that were natural their entire lives that look better (not bigger) than these guys.  Their bodies are not worn out internally.  They still have what one might call a look of health, while Coleman and Gaspari have begun to epitomize the look of hell.

Sad, but they knew what they were doing (overdosing)  and now they're paying the price.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
It's genetics. Some people, when they age..they age hard and fall apart. They turn into old men.

Others (like me) basically retain who we are, just a wrinkle here or there gives away that we aren't kids anymore

The first group are what is known as "shitty people"

The second are known as "great people"

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
It's genetics. Some people, when they age..they age hard and fall apart. They turn into old men.

Others (like me) basically retain who we are, just a wrinkle here or there gives away that we aren't kids anymore

The first group are what is known as "shitty people"

The second are known as "great people"

Ah...Now we sees.  You be on of the the Dunedain from Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings.  Those blessed with long life and genetics of the godlets and such.   ;D

In other words, still buffed after all these years.  Well done, man.  Good morning!  Good to see you again, brother!

;D

Necrosis

• Getbig V
I'm theorizing its a myriad of things. I don't do drugs. U can see this phenom in non bb too. It happens to reg working stiffs too as they age. It seems to me that tricep shortening is the most common. I'm
Gonna start stretching more. Always did have good form. Also getting that lil pointy elbow syndrome a bit. Just years n years of lifting I guess.

It's definitely tight muscle, poke around in your triceps, any trigger points? sensitive areas? when you get these it's due to the muscle cell, the myocyte, not wanting to die. The constant stress, whether postural, hyperonicity etc causes massive calcium influx, in order for the cell not to undergo auto oxidation it basically knots itself to avoid this fate, making it an ostensible scar tissue. If you have trigger points and sore points, get them out first as strecthing wont do it. To remove the trigger point, you need ischemia, no oxygen, forcing the cell to release.

That's my theory

dustin

Annnnnd that's why I don't lift so heavy anymore that my max sets have me thinking "fuck, one more rep and I'm tearing a muscle".

Call it lifting like a pussy, but I've lifted heavier than most people my size and have nothing to prove. If you tear a muscle, it's over. He's got 14"guns that look like 200 year old tree branches. I lift heavy enough to challenge the muscle asked find that going too heavy doesn't permit a strong mind muscle connection. Bodybuilding requires some moderately heavy lifting with a strong focus on quality time under tension, and I believe a good pump can help too. Ultra heavy lifting is too reckless and has too many dangers to be warranted, IMHO.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Annnnnd that's why I don't lift so heavy anymore that my max sets have me thinking "fuck, one more rep and I'm tearing a muscle".

Call it lifting like a pussy, but I've lifted heavier than most people my size and have nothing to prove. If you tear a muscle, it's over. He's got 14"guns that look like 200 year old tree branches. I lift heavy enough to challenge the muscle asked find that going too heavy doesn't permit a strong mind muscle connection. Bodybuilding requires some moderately heavy lifting with a strong focus on quality time under tension, and I believe a good pump can help too. Ultra heavy lifting is too reckless and has too many dangers to be warranted, IMHO.

Yep.

Once your mind switches from working the muscle and getting a strong contraction..to "oh fuck I hope I get this rep" you're training too heavy.