Author Topic: The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading  (Read 669 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What's the matter with kids today and why doesn't anyone want them around? In June, Malaysia Airlines banned babies from many of their first class cabins, prompting other major airlines to consider similar policies.

Lately, complaints about screaming kids are being taken seriously, not only by airlines, but by hotels, movie theaters, restaurants, and even grocery stores.

Read more about restaurants around the country banning kids.

Earlier this month, McDain's, a Pittsburgh area restaurant that banned kids under 6 became a mascot for the no-kids-zone movement.

According to a Pittsburgh local news poll, more than half of area residents were in favor of the ban. And now big business is paying attention.

"Brat bans could well be the next frontier in destination and leisure-product marketing," writes Robert Klara in an article on the child-free trend in AdWeek.

Klara points to Leavethembehind.com, a travel website for kid-free vacations, with a massive list of yoga retreats, luxury resorts and bargain hotels around the world that ban children.

"Call me a grinch, a misanthrope, a DINK (dual-income-no-kids), or the anti-cute-police, but I hate (hate a thousand times over) ill-behaved children/infants/screaming banshees in upscale restaurants (ok, anywhere, really, but I don’t want any death threats)," writes Charlotte Savino on Travel and Leisure's blog. She lists a slew of a popular destination restaurants with kid-free areas and policies for travelers looking for quiet vacation dining.

Traveling is one thing, but what about in kids' own hometowns? Should kids been banned from local movie theaters, like they were at a recent adults-only Harry Potter screening? In Texas, one cinema chain has even flipped the model, banning kids under six altogether, except on specified "baby days".

Even running errands with toddlers may be changing.  This summer Whole Foods stores in Missouri are offering child-free shopping hours (kids are allowed inside but childcare service is available for parents who want to shop kid-free.) Meanwhile in Florida, a controversy brews over whether kids can be banned from a condominium's outdoor area. That's right, some people don't even want kids outdoors.

When did kids become the equivalent of second-hand smoke? Blame a wave of childless adults with money to spare. "Empty nesters continue to wield a huge swath of discretionary spending dollars, and population dips in first-world countries mean more childless couples than ever," writes AdWeek's Klara.

Catering to the child-free community may be good for business but is it good for parents? It could help narrow choices and make kid-friendly environments even kid-friendlier.  And let's be honest, babies won't miss flying first class. They won't even remember it. But their moms and dads will.

Most parents with young children have self-imposed limits on spending and leisure. This new movement imposes limits set by the public. And the public isn't as child-friendly as it used to be.  As businesses respond to their new breed of 'first-class' clientele, are parents in danger of becoming second-class citizens?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/the-no-kids-allowed-movement-is-spreading-2516110/print

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »
If I can't bring my dog u can't bring your hellion. Its pretty interesting.....
L

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What's the matter with kids today and why doesn't anyone want them around? In June, Malaysia Airlines banned babies from many of their first class cabins, prompting other major airlines to consider similar policies.

Lately, complaints about screaming kids are being taken seriously, not only by airlines, but by hotels, movie theaters, restaurants, and even grocery stores.

Read more about restaurants around the country banning kids.

Earlier this month, McDain's, a Pittsburgh area restaurant that banned kids under 6 became a mascot for the no-kids-zone movement.

According to a Pittsburgh local news poll, more than half of area residents were in favor of the ban. And now big business is paying attention.

"Brat bans could well be the next frontier in destination and leisure-product marketing," writes Robert Klara in an article on the child-free trend in AdWeek.

Klara points to Leavethembehind.com, a travel website for kid-free vacations, with a massive list of yoga retreats, luxury resorts and bargain hotels around the world that ban children.

"Call me a grinch, a misanthrope, a DINK (dual-income-no-kids), or the anti-cute-police, but I hate (hate a thousand times over) ill-behaved children/infants/screaming banshees in upscale restaurants (ok, anywhere, really, but I don’t want any death threats)," writes Charlotte Savino on Travel and Leisure's blog. She lists a slew of a popular destination restaurants with kid-free areas and policies for travelers looking for quiet vacation dining.

Traveling is one thing, but what about in kids' own hometowns? Should kids been banned from local movie theaters, like they were at a recent adults-only Harry Potter screening? In Texas, one cinema chain has even flipped the model, banning kids under six altogether, except on specified "baby days".

Even running errands with toddlers may be changing.  This summer Whole Foods stores in Missouri are offering child-free shopping hours (kids are allowed inside but childcare service is available for parents who want to shop kid-free.) Meanwhile in Florida, a controversy brews over whether kids can be banned from a condominium's outdoor area. That's right, some people don't even want kids outdoors.

When did kids become the equivalent of second-hand smoke? Blame a wave of childless adults with money to spare. "Empty nesters continue to wield a huge swath of discretionary spending dollars, and population dips in first-world countries mean more childless couples than ever," writes AdWeek's Klara.

Catering to the child-free community may be good for business but is it good for parents? It could help narrow choices and make kid-friendly environments even kid-friendlier.  And let's be honest, babies won't miss flying first class. They won't even remember it. But their moms and dads will.

Most parents with young children have self-imposed limits on spending and leisure. This new movement imposes limits set by the public. And the public isn't as child-friendly as it used to be.  As businesses respond to their new breed of 'first-class' clientele, are parents in danger of becoming second-class citizens?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/the-no-kids-allowed-movement-is-spreading-2516110/print

If I were a businessman, I'd ignore these folks and cater to the folks with children. That's more money in my pocket. Let the childless grumps (if they have so much $$$$$) make their own spots.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
I like it, some ppl take it too far i think but its perfectly fine with me if a business doesnt want to allow children.

sorry but trying to eat dinner while having a kid scream, kick and cry the entire time is shitty. Id be ok with it if i could in turn walk over stuff a roll in the kids mouth and slap the crap out of the parents for letting their kids act that way. ;)

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
the problem is not kids, but the lack of discipline. kids used to be seen and not heard, but that's changed drastically with all these adhd kids coming from single parent homes.

the businesses can't tell you how to discipline your kids to keep them from misbehaving, so instead they say no kids whatsoever as a preventative measure (which is fine with me--nothing i hate more than little brat raising hell at a grocery store!) ::)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:37:43 PM »
My children are all adults now.  But if I find out a Place isn't allowing kids I will not eat there nor reccomend it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
My children are all adults now.  But if I find out a Place isn't allowing kids I will not eat there nor reccomend it.

Same here.  I'd never eat at a place like that.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:49:12 PM »
do you guys suppor the restraunts right to ask ppl to leave if their children are being loud and obnoxious?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »
do you guys suppor the restraunts right to ask ppl to leave if their children are being loud and obnoxious?

Of course. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »

Yes.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
Parents are either afraid to or won't do anything about their kids.
L

roccoginge

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »
I was on a 12 hour flight from Spain, and a baby was screaming for 8 hours of it.  Horrible experience, the lady finally gave it a bottle, I was ready to go to jail that day.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »
Ear plug head phones

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 04:16:53 AM »
Ear plug head phones
no screaming babies works equally as well ;)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
no screaming babies works equally as well ;)

Yep just throw them out of the plane

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 08:02:29 AM »
I kind of agree with this, but i am afraid it will lead to a bigger problem.

There is nothing more annoying than a screaming kid running around causing havoc. I see way too many kids acting up and the parents doing nothing. The problem is the parents, but since we can't control them we have to ban kids from certain locations.

All i know is all my nieces and nephews know how to act right in a place of business and if they make one step out of line they are taken outside. They were taught respect for other people, but that seems like a lost idea these days. Most parents are too selfish and lazy to control their children, they let them run rampant all over the place because it's easier to let them cause havoc then to discipline them.

Again i find this a bit extreme, but IMO if you own a private business that caters to a high end client, then more power to you.

I don't allow kids inside the office of my Engineering firm for a reason. Some of my employees complain and want to "bring their child to work day" and i say no way. It is a liability to my firm and it's my company policy. I also don't allow any outside visitors that are not clients or future clients. That is just the way i want to run my business.

However, restaurants and airlines are a bit different from an Engineering firm.

8)

theheman

• Getbig III
  • Her tetas were shaped like little pointy tortillas
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 01:34:25 PM »
To borrow gh15's phrase this is all part of generation nothingness.  I'm starting to take this "generation nothingness" seriously.  We as a society are losing many of the basic principles we've held even to the point that generation nothingness can't even discipline their toddlers.  They just let their kids create an uproar while they just sit there with their phones open texting or whatever they heck they do w/their cell phones anymore.