Author Topic: resume question  (Read 3892 times)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: resume question
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 09:49:42 AM »
I am in my third month,...I hope to have a job with a group plan before too much longer.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »
Of course you should list your athletic accomplishments on your resume.

Also, attach a pic of the biggest shit you've ever taken.....you know, just to round it out. 
G

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
I think it matters whether the person reading the resume cares about the athletic event you are claiming, no?

No.  It is about the job—not the person who you think is reading the resume.  Resumes are often read by several people (HR folks, executive assistants, a search committee, etc.) not just the one person you think you are targeting.  Any one of those individuals could flag your resume as unsuitable because you are including inappropriate information not related to your qualifications for the job.

Remember, you are applying for a job—not a date.  If you want to impress a schmoe with your athletic prowess go put on a thong and oil up.  References (even casual references) to your athleticism do not belong on a resume unless the job is specifically related to athletics.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »

No.  It is about the job—not the person who you think is reading the resume.  Resumes are often read by several people (HR folks, executive assistants, a search committee, etc.) not just the one person you think you are targeting.  Any one of those individuals could flag your resume as unsuitable because you are including inappropriate information not related to your qualifications for the job.

Remember, you are applying for a job—not a date.  If you want to impress a schmoe with your athletic prowess go put on a thong and oil up.  References (even casual references) to your athleticism do not belong on a resume unless the job is specifically related to athletics.

I disagree.  Putting something like participation in intercollegiate sports, and athletic awards earned either under the appropriate educational section or in an interests section is fine, particularly when it comes to team sports.  What it shows is a more well rounded person who has skills necessary to work with people.

I don't know that I've ever talked to an HR person who had a problem with listing athletic achievements on a resume.  I'm sure there are people out there would be offended by them, but placed in the proper context, described in the right way, they are an asset, not a liability IMO.  

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
My health insurance is $652.00 a month...just for me...

That's actually not bad.  How much is the deductible?
:

newmom

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
I pay out of pocket and mines not that much, but depends on coverage and stuff

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 08:31:20 PM »

That's actually not bad.  How much is the deductible?

I fortunately have never had to use it...I will have to look it up...never used it, paying that amount for something you hope never to use...rather like a Polish joke.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 05:00:31 AM »
I fortunately have never had to use it...I will have to look it up...never used it, paying that amount for something you hope never to use...rather like a Polish joke.

Like the parachute that opens on impact?

Good point...although you can look at the expense as the price of one less big worry.  Knowing that were something catastrophic to occur, you would know what to expect in terms of out of pocket cost.

In his book Killing Sacred Cows, Garrett Gunderson makes some good points about the value of risk management.  I'm sure you already know these, but for the folks watching at home, it is interesting stuff.
~

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Our ins. seems to go up every time we are billed (quarterly?).  I think it's about $8000/yr w/a $3500 deductible each.

R

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »
Our ins. seems to go up every time we are billed (quarterly?).  I think it's about $8000/yr w/a $3500 deductible each.

Insane.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
include your post count at getbig, this shows dedication and that you can take the heat.

since it's not a bodybuilding place feel free to lie about any hormone use especially synthol

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
include your post count at getbig, this shows dedication and that you can take the heat.

since it's not a bodybuilding place feel free to lie about any hormone use especially synthol

Ron won't mind any of us using him as a reference, I'm willing to wager.
~

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 12:44:35 PM »
Do not do it!  Unless the job is specifically related to athletics.  If you are applying to be an Associate Athletic Director or an Assistant Coach fine, otherwise references to your athletic prowess are unwarranted.

I agree with this here.  Or if it is a physically demanding job and you want to show that you are strong and in good shape.  Otherwise for a normal desk job, most getbiggers should have much more relevant stuff to include that doesn't include how much they bench or how cool they look hitting a crab most muscular pose.