Author Topic: NYC residents flock to parks for animals, plants, fish, birds, turtles for food.  (Read 2516 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Enjoy Park Greenery, City Says, but Not as Salad (New Yorkers foraging for food...)
NY Times ^ | 7/29/11 | LISA W. FODERARO
Posted on July 30, 2011 7:22:51 AM EDT by jimbo123

Maybe it is the spiraling cost of food in a tough economy or the logical next step in the movement to eat locally. Whatever the reason, New Yorkers are increasingly fanning out across the city’s parks to hunt and gather edible wild plants, like mushrooms, American ginger and elderberries.

Now parks officials want them to stop. New York’s public lands are not a communal pantry, they say. In recent months, the city has stepped up training of park rangers and enforcement-patrol officers, directing them to keep an eye out for foragers and chase them off.

(Excerpt) Read more at nytimes.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Beverly McDermott, director of Friends of Kissena Park in Flushing, Queens, has confronted foragers directly when she has seen them hauling away everything from plants to top soil to turtles. A garden in the 242-acre park that Mrs. McDermott helped revive a decade ago has been repeatedly pillaged, with herbs, flowers and a whole weeping cherry tree disappearing.

“I have caught them leaving the park with coolers full of fish and turtles,” she said. “You need signs throughout the park. I find the rangers to be totally useless. They’re walking around like Boy Scouts.”

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Better use that corporate grocery store, or else....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Maybe 240 can come to central park and lay a few snares and traps. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
People take fish from the parks here all the time, and it's completely legal.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Maybe 240 can come to central park and lay a few snares and traps. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Do you eat turtles? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
July 29, 2011 / Brooklyn news / Park Slope / Meadows of Shame

Cops nab bizarre Prospect Park poachers
BY NATALIE O’NEILL
The Brooklyn Paper
 Enlarge this image

This man was caught poaching last year.
 Enlarge this image

Community Newspaper Group / Stephen Brown
Wildlife advocates Anne-Katrin Titze and Ed Bahlman discovered turtle traps last year.
Similar stories
THEATER: Brick Theater’s new show about torture is a great night out
BOOKS: An explosive excerpt from ‘The Ticking is the Bomb’
THE BUTCHER OF FLATBUSH AVE. EXTENSION: Man, this new play at the Brick is just torture
BOOKS: Nick Flynn loses himself and his country in new memoir
WILLIAMSBURG: Humboldt horror house! Man turns Midwestern gal into ‘sex slave’
WILLIAMSBURG: Humboldt horror master facing 16 counts in sex slave case
Tools
 Print this story
 Facebook this
 Tweet this
 Digg this
 Del.icio.us
  Email to a friend

Cops have busted a group of oddball poachers in Prospect Park — a band of vagrants that was trapping and eating ducks, squirrels and pigeons.

Parks officers wrote four tickets — two for killing wildlife and two for illegal fishing — totaling $2,100 in fines during a two-day period last week.

The city would not immediately release details of the incidents, which occurred on July 17 and 18 — just days after park-goers told rangers about a “Beverly Hillbillies”-like scene on the southeast side of the lake, near the ice skating rink.

“This is a dodgy group,” said park-goer Peter Colon, who spotted one of the men catching a pigeon while his friend started a fire. “They are the most threatening people in the park.”

The disheveled — and possibly homeless — tribe in question uses “makeshift” fishing poles and traps to catch the critters, then grills them over the fire, according to park watchdogs.

“One woman uses a net to bag the ducks,” said wildlife advocate Johanna Clearfield.

Wildlife advocates have long pushed the Parks Department to crackdown on illegal hunting and fishing in Prospect Park — especially after a stunning array of cases in which geese and cygnets were injured by illegal barbed fishhooks and lure.

In the most-dramatic case, a plucky little goose who lost the top half of his beak to a fishhook earned him endless sympathy and the nickname, “Beaky.”

The fishing and hunting ticket blitz comes while park-goers collect and document large mounds of fishing wire, claiming waterfowl are frequently get tangled.

And it’s not the first time that poachers have been busted. Last year, park-goers confronted a man after spotting him catching fish and secreting them into a bag — a violation of the city’s “catch-and-release” rules.

After being confronted, the man dumped the dead fish back into the lake.

The new poaching busts bring to mind last year’s wave of animal murders by the so-called “Butcher of Prospect Park,” whose death toll included waterfowl, chickens, turtles and a goat.

For now, wildlife advocates were hailing this month’s busts.

“The fact that they’re ticketing is great — it’s so badly needed,” said goose lover Mary Beth Artz. “I hope they keep it up.”

©2011 COMMUNITY NEWSPAPER GROUP

Lmfao.     Obama economy.   

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/34/31/dtg_poachersbusted_2011_08_06_bk.html

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Do you eat turtles? 

No, but I know a lot of people that do.

I've had turtle.

Nothing wrong with people eating turtle, what's your point?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

I've had turtle.

Maybe I could use a few pointers on trapping geese and ducks and turtles when tshtf due to obamanomics.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
My Dad was in Britain during WWII and once he tearfully talked about seeing British civilians foraging for food (euphemistically called "urban wildlife") in London...the situation in Britain was far more desperate than they even admit to now.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I wonder how long before the bums ransack the zoo for animal meat. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Do you eat turtles?  

I've cleaned and eaten turtles.  Instructions are in the Boy Scout Manual as well as many Military handbooks.  They are quite tasty.  Heck, there's nothing like an animal that has a built in eating bowl.
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'm used to seeing mexis w their poles in the hudson river going for little snappers, but poaching pigeons and turtles and frying em up at a makeshift campsite in NYC?

Come on now.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Like this is a new thing in New York lol... ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Hugo I have never heard of this in nyc parks before.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V

It's weird, cause I just saw a show the other day on some DirectTV channel about foraging for Food in NY parks.  Some gourmet restaurant owner/chef was doing it.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World

I've had turtle.

Boxed meal with a bowl to go with it? the perfect meal

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
yea, we've just heard of every other unimaginable thing happening in NY parks for the last hundred or so years but this is a new one lol...  ok, if it makes you happy to believe that.  Call me when the pigeons become endangered there lol... I'm gonna guess there is no sign of that happening even though they walk right up to everyone.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Boxed meal with a bowl to go with it? the perfect meal

420?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

par for the course

you know nothing about a subject but you assume it (like everyhing in your world) is because of Obama or as you put it "Obama economy"

this is nothing new

people have been doing this for  years

Foraging used to be a quirky niche, filled most notably by “Wildman” Steve Brill, who for years has led foraging tours in the Northeast, including in Central Park. (He now sells a foraging app, too.) But foragers today are an eclectic bunch, including downtown hipsters, recent immigrants, vegans and people who do not believe in paying for food.