Author Topic: Split Routines.  (Read 7765 times)

suckmymuscle

Split Routines.
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »
  Many bodybuilders don't really understand the reason why training is divided into splits where you train bodyparts on different days. They care about which bodypart they should train with which bodypart, when that is a secondary consideration. The reason why you split your training is because the body can only handle a certain amount of training stress in one day, so depending on the number of exercises you do for your entire body, you must split them into different training days. Which bodypart should be trained with each bodypart is another and less important consideration. As a general rule, most Humans can only perform 4 to 6 different exercises during a training session before the sympathetic nervous system starts to release noradrenaline - a sign of stress - and your adrenals start to pump out large amounts of cortisol to mobilize sugar and glucocorticoids to control the inflammation incurred from all the muscle damage. This is bad for recovery and for the general health of the nervous system.

You need only between 12 to 16 different exercises to develop the muscles of your entire body. This means that you should split your training between 2 to 3 different training sessions. A 4 split is completely unnecessary except for the very advanced bodybuilder who competes and needs to do a lot of very specific exercises to bring up lagging bodyparts. Even for the advanced boybuilder, a 3 split is more than enough to train the whole body.

As for which bodypart to train with which, a beggining bodybuilder should train his whole body per session for a total of 6 basic exercises for the first month. This is to create neuromuscular connections and get accustomed to lifting. After that first month, he should switch to a two training split, training his upper body in one session and lower body in another. The intermediary should do a 3 training split. Unlike what some say, he shouldn't train triceps, back and shoulders in one of the upper body sessions and pecs and biceps in another. This is irrational. He should split his upper body into pushing movements and pulling movements, since mixing pulling and pushing exercises in the same training session means that you will always be weak for the next session a couple days latter since you will be using both pushing and pulling movements in the same session. So pulling one session and pushing in another. This means pecs, shoulders and triceps in one of the upper body sessions, and back and biceps in the other. The very advanced bodybuilder should further split to a session for the back alone and divide legs into two training session with quads and calves being trained in one training session and hamstrings can be trained with biceps since biceps cannot be trained with the pushing upper body exercise., since this is a huge bodypart and bringing all the detail in this muscle complex needs 6 exercises or so. Developing back thickness only requires about 3 exercises(deadlift, barbell row and pulldowns) so it can be done inside a 3 split with biceps.

Fresh Bodybuilder(first month of training):

- Train whole body for 6 basic exercises per session two times a week. No split.

Begginer(first year)

- Split training into one for the upper body and one for the lower body 6 exercises each.

Intermediary(1-8 years of training)

- 3 split:

Session 1: Legs

Session 2: Pecs, triceps and shoulders

Session 3: Back and biceps

Advanced competitive bodybuilder:

- 4 split

Session 1: Quads and calves

Session 2: Hamstrings and biceps

Session 3: Back

Session 4: Pecs, shoulders and triceps

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

Re: Split Routines.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 05:47:38 AM »
  Bump. This should be a sticky.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

io856

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 05:49:58 AM »
Best poster ever.

Why do you share these valuable insights/knowledge with getbig?

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:55:49 AM »
stick to gorilla posts.

dragonfist

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:59:04 AM »
Best poster ever.

Is there any evidence that he even works out?

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:04:44 AM »
He copy-and-pasted it from Cheetah-Education of a MuscleChimp..

io856

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:43 AM »
Is there any evidence that he even works out?
Thats not so much in question.

I was calling him best poster ever due to his ability to post extremely well whilst making thought provoking and well set out threads. I can't think of another poster on getbig or any other board for that matter who is anywhere near comparable in delivering content and opinions.

rekless

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:15:57 AM »
OMG Push/Pull/Legs

That's a new one.......

dragonfist

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:24:34 AM »
Thats not so much in question.

I was calling him best poster ever due to his ability to post extremely well whilst making thought provoking and well set out threads. I can't think of another poster on getbig or any other board for that matter who is anywhere near comparable in delivering content and opinions.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 06:25:05 AM »
Bodybuilder Lex Reeves shared these knowledges with getbig long ago.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 06:32:39 AM »

suckmymuscle

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:54:56 AM »
OMG Push/Pull/Legs

That's a new one.......

If you give the back it's own traning session and split legs into two training sessions, then the hamstrings can only be trained with biceps since you cannot train biceps with pushing muscles. Simple as that.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:15 AM »
Best poster ever.

Because, although I am a divine malevolent entity, I can be generous and forgiving of the blasphemous at time.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »
I aint reading that shit.  ;D

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »
Bodybuilder Lex Reeves shared these knowledges with getbig long ago.
That's it!   8)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
  If you give the back it's own traning session and split legs into two training sessions, then the hamstrings can only be trained with biceps since you cannot train biceps with pushing muscles. Simple as that.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
8) ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »
That's it!   8)

LexReeves actually doesen't recommend any split. He advocates training the whole body three times a week.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
So what your saying is a whole day dedicated to arms is pointless? But I thought if I dont hit them form every possible angle with 10 different exersizes I wont get huge  ???

Jizzacked

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 05:47:15 PM »

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »
hi dorian

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
good post though.

i do the intermediate split you have outlined.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
good post though.

i do the intermediate split you have outlined.

Thanks. Remember to do no more than about 6 different exercises per training session.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
   Bump. Make this a sticky.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
   Bump. Make this a sticky.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Like your back after a long night at the all male theatres?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!