Author Topic: So, is San Diego a nice place to live?  (Read 15437 times)

newmom

Re: So, is San Diego a nice place to live?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
i usually go, for the
Gas Lamp District
San Diego Padres vs Dodgers
Sea World
Zoo
Charges vs Raiders
kansas City BBQ (filmed Top Gun there)

Its really a nice city, Thoe the Gas Lamp has turned to kind of a Mini Skid Row with all the bums

worked at Miramar where they filmed most of it

newmom

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:56 PM »
I am sure it is cheaper than both NYC and London.

uh I wouldn't go that far...

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
Fuck San Diego , I'm moving to Orlando .

Orlando  4692 sq/f  $390000

San Diego  1035 sq/f  $435000  ::)

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 11:39:40 PM »

Orlando  4692 sq/f  $390000

San Diego  1035 sq/f  $435000  ::)

Lots of deals in Florida.
T

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 12:02:13 AM »

Orlando  4692 sq/f  $390000

San Diego  1035 sq/f  $435000  ::)

You never answered my question, concerning Barcelona at Sunrise Stadium.  Anyway, I was semi-offered at deal in Tampa and possibly something outside of Orlanda but the money was Bull Shit down South pay, I mean BS!  Also, that property isn't in the heart of Orlando, mostly on the outskirts.  So, lets compare correctly.  This is a property in Chula Vista (non-foreclosure) and cost about $400,000 and is around 3800 sq ft.  I punched out a shitload of numbers and found I could save just as much  money money in Diego on a generous salary as I could save in Tampa on peanuts.  That being said, same money offer, I'd go to Orlando for the idea that it would put me closer to Central and South America but that's it.  Deep South still sucks ass.  You can probably get a cheaper crib and more square feet in Jackson, Mississipp. Go luck or Fuck that, depending on your luv for Deep South America, not the REAL South America.  

Another benefit, is you get the opportunity to meet and Ball with Lord Ron.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 01:58:04 AM »
San Diego have year round a climate that feels like you are inside a climate controled enviroment...the perfect Humidity, the perfect temperature, at night long sleeves feel good even in the summer.

Just be sure the job pays enough.

Wow, that's on point!  If Cologne speaks to you, though, you best get going.

newmom

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:06 AM »
this is a current pic of the house I lived in (Mira Mesa, San Diego)from 76 to 90 deck, patio, in ground pool. Parents bought it for 70k, sold it for 285k in 90, five years later sold for 400k now house, even smaller go for almost 850k

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:55 AM »
I am considering applying for a job there but to be honest I am not a sunny, warm weather person. What's the temperature usually like? is it dry heat or high humidity and what is living in California like in general compared to say, NYC?
I've been living in SD for over 15 years now.  What you read in this thread is true if you live in the beach areas, but unless you are making a shit load of money new people moving to SD cannot afford to live near the beach areas.  You'd think it is nice to live near the beaches expect if you work inland.  Just getting to the freeways and back living next to the beach is the biggest fucking pain in the ass.  Then you have to deal with freeway traffic and then business park traffic.

SD was fucking awesome up until the real estate boom.  Since then this city has become one giant fucking suburb, over populated for the infrastructure and this bullshit Orange county superficial attitude has creeped in.

The weather is nice if you live 5 minutes from the coast, but go inland about 5-10 miles and in the summer it is fucking brutal into the 100's.  Areas like Rancho Bernardo, Poway, Escondido, Chula Vista etc... are brutally hot in the summer and no breeze.  Living near the coast is nice but you'll spend over 50% of your time living in a marine layer that causes clouds and mist.  You can litteraly stand at the beach and look up and see a wall of clouds then perfect blu skys about 1 mile inland.

As for bums, it's bad downtown and at some beaches like OB and PB, but areas near Del Mar, Torrey Pines, Carlsbad and LaJolla are bum free but then again you'd need to make a serious salary to live there unless you rent a crappy 1960's apt.

Nothing is wrong with moving here and spending time, but all of the stigma that SD had from years ago have all but vanished since the housing boom.  SD is not a sleepy sufer town anymore.  It is packed with a lot of rich wannabees working for the biotech and RF/Wireless industry.

As mentioned the freeway infrastucture was not built for the current population.  They have expanded the 15 which is nice but it still get's congested and the 5 is a fucking nightmare in the summer with the fair, horse races and vacationers.  they are planning to open that up.

If you want to live near the beach make sure it is in location to where you work.  If you work in North County, look at Oceanside.  There is a big military population there but a lot of beach front condos have crashed in price and some nice one's can be picked up cheap.  But you do not want to live in Oceanside if you have to commute way inland for work.  PM me your office location and I can give you some decent ideas of where to live so you don't have a fucking heart attack dealing with the daily commute.

newmom

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 08:02:26 AM »
And you have souplantation....cant wait three more months

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
If you make $50,000 in Houston,...you have to make $73,000 in San Diego to have a similar lifestyle.

That's a good estimate, also remember Houston has some of the cheapest housing in the US.

One of the developers i used to work for sold a certian house platform for $270 in Houston, he told me he could get well over $600k for the exact same house platform in SD on a lot half the size.

SD is one of the best places in the US to live if you have the money to enjoy it.

8)

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 08:58:51 AM »
NASSER has been living in San Diego for about 18 years now, including present.  If it's up to his standards it must be nice :)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
Plus: it's close to Mexico. And the zoo is one of the most beautiful in the world.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
Plus: it's close to Mexico. And the zoo is one of the most beautiful in the world.

My buddy got locked up in San Luis.  I guess it's all good if you want to run in and out your place in Tijuana for $300 a month rent. 

theEsquire

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
I lived in San Diego for a year while I was attending law school.  Mid seventies to low eighties all year.  Zero humidity.  No one goes to the beaches in the fall/winter because the water is too cold, but shorts and flip-flops are appropriate year round.  I also lived in Manhattan during my final year of law school and I can tell you that San Diego is much cheaper.  Good food, shopping, historical sights, entertainment...if you like baseball, Petco Park is a great place to watch a ballgame, modern stadium and real cheap.

My biggest problem with San Diego was the homeless/illegal immigrant population which was out of control.  Shanty towns sprout up on the outskirts of the city and the local police/ICE do nothing about it.  I was hounded for change everyday going to school, work, dinner, etc.  English is definitely a second language; the first time I walked into Bank of America to open an account the bank personal all yelled "Bienvenidos!!!"  Obviously, if you can afford to live in the more luxurious parts of San Diego, say La Jolla, you would avoid most of this.

If your an outdoors type of person and don't mind mingling with los mexicanos, San Diego is a great place for you.

Hope this helped   

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
Shanty towns sprout up on the outskirts of the city and the local police/ICE do nothing about it.  Hope this helped   

Cool, except for it's Mexicans.  Colombians or Brasilians would be nicer.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
If you like year round nice weather SD and surrounding area's are great.  If you can afford it.... anyplace west of I-5 near the beach is awesome!   8)

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »
this is a current pic of the house I lived in (Mira Mesa, San Diego)from 76 to 90 deck, patio, in ground pool. Parents bought it for 70k, sold it for 285k in 90, five years later sold for 400k now house, even smaller go for almost 850k

Hey Princess....is the main house hiding behind the Servant's Quarters?

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 02:17:32 PM »
Yes...SD is very nice. I heard a "KING" lives there???

GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »
My buddy got locked up in San Luis.  I guess it's all good if you want to run in and out your place in Tijuana for $300 a month rent. 
I had the time of my life in Tijuana in the late 80's.....haven't been there since..

newmom

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
I had the time of my life in Tijuana in the late 80's.....haven't been there since..

revolution avenue rocked back in the 80's

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
I am considering applying for a job there but to be honest I am not a sunny, warm weather person. What's the temperature usually like? is it dry heat or high humidity and what is living in California like in general compared to say, NYC?

TRY to work Midnight Shift at the job you're applying for- I do- and totally avoid the hot temperatures.  Eat a good "lunch" and give yourself lots of energy for working out directly AFTER your shift, thus avoiding the sun & heat again.  You'll sweat enough in the gym and dread EVER going in the afternoons/nights when you have to compete for parking/lockers/showers/etc...  At least this is MY experience at Vancouver, CANADA YMCA.

newmom

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2011, 01:12:18 PM »
Hey Princess....is the main house hiding behind the Servant's Quarters?

sorry we don't have the houses you do swizzle

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »
I love it here in LA.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »
I love it here in LA.

As do I, but San Diego doesn't suck.

newmom

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2011, 01:34:17 PM »
As do I, but San Diego doesn't suck.

this