Author Topic: Anyone Live In Vancouver B.C.  (Read 13871 times)

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Re: Anyone Live In Vancouver B.C.
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 08:14:49 PM »
My father retired to Vancouver Island British Columbia.  It's a two-hour ferry from Vancouver (Victoria or Nanaimo).  And he lived two hours drive north.

If you want to see Paradise go there, I visited 3 times.  It's a long way, it's the end of the earth.  

I even drove all the way across to the Pacific, to Tofino.  

Vancouver Island is the size of England.

Yes, it's a temperate climate, similar to here where I now live in the UK.  Which means that you get weather.  It's sunny, it's hot, it rains.  It's a million shades of green and truly fabulous.  It snows in winter, it's everything.

If you want hot all day and desert, go to Africa or Nevada or Australia.  If you want cold and snow and short days with no sun go to Scandinavia or Russia.  

>>>But if you want sunshine out back whilst there's rain in the front garden, go to BC.  Mountains and Oceans.  Mist and ozone.  Rainbows and thunder and lighting.  Stupendous sunsets.  Islands upon islands, mountains every which way you look.  Truly incredible scenery (as they say, awesome...

There's an island off Vancouver Island called Quadra and an island off that which you can move to where land is free, just take a ground sheet and a case of beer.  There are purple and yellow starfish and orange sunfish on the beach in the morning and neon green phosphorescence at night in the ocean.  It's technicolour.

Laid back people, I adored it.  Yes there are many homeless in Vancouver City, as in any populous place nowadays.

xL in London England
Things will get worse and I suggest you aim to move toward safer places for your future
Thanks Linda. Bindare, when we visit we will be meeting with a realtor. We have looked at some home listings in Vancouver that seemed reasonable but we weren't familiar with the areas. I read through the blog you posted and if that is the reality of the real estate market in Vancouver we may be long-term renters, idk.
T

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
Thanks Linda. Bindare, when we visit we will be meeting with a realtor. We have looked at some home listings in Vancouver that seemed reasonable but we weren't familiar with the areas. I read through the blog you posted and if that is the reality of the real estate market in Vancouver we may be long-term renters, idk.

Everyones experience will be different, depending on many factors. If I didnt say it already, hope it all works out for you.

dustin

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
Everyones experience will be different, depending on many factors. If I didnt say it already, hope it all works out for you.

How come you hate this place so much? We have an esoteric cynicism here where we bitch about the high cost of living and real estate, but Jesus Christ it's not that bad lol. If we bitch about it, it's in good humor. But when everyone else bitches, it's jealousy lol 8)

I know some pretty good realtors here too. I don't get a kick back from them or anything so I'm not trying to plug anyone. Mine was nice and we got a new home with an ocean view in the nice end of Nanaimo. Actually found out that she works under the guy I would recommend, just found out when he started going to my gym.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »
How come you hate this place so much? We have an esoteric cynicism here where we bitch about the high cost of living and real estate, but Jesus Christ it's not that bad lol. If we bitch about it, it's in good humor. But when everyone else bitches, it's jealousy lol 8)

I know some pretty good realtors here too. I don't get a kick back from them or anything so I'm not trying to plug anyone. Mine was nice and we got a new home with an ocean view in the nice end of Nanaimo. Actually found out that she works under the guy I would recommend, just found out when he started going to my gym.
When the time comes i'll take that recommendation. Thanks
T

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 11:06:06 PM »

I don't hate the place but there are some serious problems developing there and most of the people are blind to it.

Jelousy? Riiight.

I don't know deadz financial situation, if hes rich, he'll be fine. For the average person the housing is ridiculously bad. The average house value is 11 times normal earnings.  You don;t have people buying to live there for years and years, they are buying to flip and make money. Speculative mania.

Here is another example of the crazy prices:

Why would you pay for this in Vancouver, BC:

asking price: $3.180 million, that's $350,000 more than what the current owner payed for it only 6 months ago

When look what you can get in Redmond, WA for the same price:

West Seattle: same price, look at the photos, the place is gorgeous, the Vancouver house is garbage and backs on to a garbage alley.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2480-Crestmont-Pl-W-Seattle-WA-98199/48726738_zpid/

Take a good look and tell me Vancouver isnt going to be seeing a massive correction in its market.  So many people have all their wealth  in real estate. Dropping home prices would see many people in deep trouble.  The economy is based on its real estate speculation and drugs.

Don't listen to real estate sales people, what else do you think they are going to say other than house prices will go up forever and the banks are strong?

Personally I would wait before considering making a life there for another few years but thats me.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
Bump
T

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
HEY DUMBFUCK!! His immigration attorney recommended these places which is why I had commented on them. Feeling a bit bashful now, cock sucker?

You really are a fucking prick, aren't you?

Yes, of course I'm going to highlight BOTH the good and the bad. Moving is a serious decision and he needs all the facts. I'm just giving him MY personal observations so he can form his own conclusion. He's a smart man, unlike yourself you fucking twat.

By the way, I live in Nanaimo. Hopefully Bindare_Dundat stops by for a visit soon so I can smack some sense into him.. fucking prick. Vancouver is habitable and you don't need to be a millionaire. But in comparison to places which are nearby and are far more beautiful, you really need to weigh out the pros and cons. Some people love living in a concrete jungle but personally it's not for me. I do however like being close enough that if I want to venture into busier places like Vancouver or Victoria, they're just a bit over an hour away. I've found that Islanders are far more relaxed... the Asians in Vancouver can be pretty disrespectful like others have mentioned. Try walking down the street or through a busy mall and the dumb fuckers won't move an inch. I just shoulder check the dumb fuckers if they don't move out of the way. I'm courteous enough to move out of the way but when they keep walking completely straight then I do the same thing. :-*
You are the dumbfuck in this thread. Lol you are validating all his points with your posts!

You pwned yourself!

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
I don't hate the place but there are some serious problems developing there and most of the people are blind to it.

Jelousy? Riiight.

I don't know deadz financial situation, if hes rich, he'll be fine. For the average person the housing is ridiculously bad. The average house value is 11 times normal earnings.  You don;t have people buying to live there for years and years, they are buying to flip and make money. Speculative mania.

Here is another example of the crazy prices:

Why would you pay for this in Vancouver, BC:

asking price: $3.180 million, that's $350,000 more than what the current owner payed for it only 6 months ago

When look what you can get in Redmond, WA for the same price:

West Seattle: same price, look at the photos, the place is gorgeous, the Vancouver house is garbage and backs on to a garbage alley.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2480-Crestmont-Pl-W-Seattle-WA-98199/48726738_zpid/

Take a good look and tell me Vancouver isnt going to be seeing a massive correction in its market.  So many people have all their wealth  in real estate. Dropping home prices would see many people in deep trouble.  The economy is based on its real estate speculation and drugs.

Don't listen to real estate sales people, what else do you think they are going to say other than house prices will go up forever and the banks are strong?

Personally I would wait before considering making a life there for another few years but thats me.

That's a no-brainer! Can't believe it is that expensive for that little house in Vancouver!

Btw, I have family living in Vancouver. I liked it when I was there but this was over 20 years ago.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 04:46:29 PM »
You are the dumbfuck in this thread. Lol you are validating all his points with your posts!

You pwned yourself!

lol

I bet he still doesnt get it.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »

There's an island off Vancouver Island called Quadra and an island off that which you can move to where land is free, just take a ground sheet and a case of beer.  

???  Never heard of this. Where?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
Dude, look at anywhere just south of the border in WA. You can find houses soooo much cheaper. Its crazy.

Half a million in Bellingham, house is around the same age, same kind build but this one is just a bit smaller and no smelly garbage lane anywhere near you, plus a view.

A $2,000,000 dollar view right in Seattle! Man, you can't compare.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »
Shit, nice places in Seattle. it's a shame it has to be in America though. As shitty as Vancouver is, the fact that it's in Canada makes it 1000x better than any nice house in the states.

How so?

And have you ever heard of any free land there?

dustin

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »

You pwned yourself!

Pwned? What the fuck are you talking about? Every area has it's problems, of course! But I'd rather live here than just about anywhere else on Earth.

I'll tell you what - Why don't you and bindare send me a postcard from your gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane? Maybe I'll consider moving then...  ::)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
Ah, where to live in this big world. I contemplated what I wanted in a city and came up with a short list. English speaking, beach, sub-tropical, big city. Came up with LA, San Diego, Honolulu, Miami, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane. That was about it. I now live in Sydney. Great place but a bit far away from Canada.

A lot of Canadians move south to escape the long, cold winters. They go to Florida, California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. If I were an American and were considering Vancouver I would prefer to live in or around Seattle. Slightly better climate and it is still America. Changing one's citizenship is a huge move. In Seattle you are close enough to Vancouver and can drive there in a couple of quick hours. I would check these out before any move across the border. You have Bellingham and other cities to choose from. Portland, Oregon is another possibility. So are places like Folsom east of San Francisco. Nice place. Santa Barbara is my pick of California. Very nice place and it would be a great place to bring up children.

I grew up in Kamloops, BC., in the interior. Hot and dry in the summer and definite seasons. A great place to live and bring up kids. Ditto for the Okanagan including Penticton, Kelowna and Vernon. I went to UBC and lived in Vancouver for many years. It is one of the best cities in the world to live in. Beautiful scenery, Mountains in the distance, Beaches nearby, good transit system and the Canadians are generally friendly.
The downside is the loooooonnnng, wet winters. You really have two seasons there: cool and wet and mild and wet. It is sunny in August and part of September. If you love the beach then Vancouver isn't for you. You might want to consider swapping homes with someone in Vancouver. I am sure you would get plenty of offers and then try the place out for a year and see how you go.

Where to live in Vancouver? I like the West End which is full of apartments but is close to downtown. North Vancouver is nice, too, but a bit wetter. It goes something like this: White Rock 30" rain, City Hall 40", Downtown 60", North Vancouver 80" and West Vancouver 120". It is one of the few cities in the world where at times you can go from the beach to the snow on the same day. I love when the snow covers Grouse and Seymour Mountains, both of which have skiing facilities. Living out at Ladner or White Rock is good because the climate is the best there. Modern communities and good amenities.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
Good input, thanks.
T

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
Too much for one post. Vancouver Island is becoming a popular place to live. Nanaimo is booming and rightly so. Good climate and still not that big to have problems re size and not knowing people. The Gulf Islands are magic but a bit isolated. Chilliwack is another place that is growing. Close to Vancouver and still has a lot of farms around. Housing should be cheaper there, too.

Canadians pride themselves on being tolerant and accepting. They tend not to like the Yanks, however. You might not know this if you visit but the animosity is there. A bit like the Aussies who dislike most foreigners. A generalization but this is what I sense from the men. I always get along with the women!

Probably the best place to live in Canada at the moment is Calgary. The province is booming because of the oil and gas. Climate not too bad and it is a modern city. Great scenery to the west in the foothills and Rockies. Housing is affordable there, I think. Seasons more pronounced but some people enjoy this. Remember, only poor people need to have seasons! Rich people can go where they please. They have good medical plans in Alberta. The richest province in Canada I believe.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
Too much for one post. Vancouver Island is becoming a popular place to live. Nanaimo is booming and rightly so. Good climate and still not that big to have problems re size and not knowing people. The Gulf Islands are magic but a bit isolated. Chilliwack is another place that is growing. Close to Vancouver and still has a lot of farms around. Housing should be cheaper there, too.

Canadians pride themselves on being tolerant and accepting. They tend not to like the Yanks, however. You might not know this if you visit but the animosity is there. A bit like the Aussies who dislike most foreigners. A generalization but this is what I sense from the men. I always get along with the women!

Probably the best place to live in Canada at the moment is Calgary. The province is booming because of the oil and gas. Climate not too bad and it is a modern city. Great scenery to the west in the foothills and Rockies. Housing is affordable there, I think. Seasons more pronounced but some people enjoy this. Remember, only poor people need to have seasons! Rich people can go where they please. They have good medical plans in Alberta. The richest province in Canada I believe.

I've heard the same, although the temperature their would be a challenge for me since I have lived in S. florida my entire life. You mentioned Miami as one of the places you considered moving to. Be happy you didn't choose Miami. It's a miserable place to be. I am north of their thankfully.
T

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
Ah, where to live in this big world. I contemplated what I wanted in a city and came up with a short list. English speaking, beach, sub-tropical, big city. Came up with LA, San Diego, Honolulu, Miami, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane. That was about it. I now live in Sydney. Great place but a bit far away from Canada.

A lot of Canadians move south to escape the long, cold winters. They go to Florida, California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. If I were an American and were considering Vancouver I would prefer to live in or around Seattle. Slightly better climate and it is still America. Changing one's citizenship is a huge move. In Seattle you are close enough to Vancouver and can drive there in a couple of quick hours. I would check these out before any move across the border. You have Bellingham and other cities to choose from. Portland, Oregon is another possibility. So are places like Folsom east of San Francisco. Nice place. Santa Barbara is my pick of California. Very nice place and it would be a great place to bring up children.

I grew up in Kamloops, BC., in the interior. Hot and dry in the summer and definite seasons. A great place to live and bring up kids. Ditto for the Okanagan including Penticton, Kelowna and Vernon. I went to UBC and lived in Vancouver for many years. It is one of the best cities in the world to live in. Beautiful scenery, Mountains in the distance, Beaches nearby, good transit system and the Canadians are generally friendly.
The downside is the loooooonnnng, wet winters. You really have two seasons there: cool and wet and mild and wet. It is sunny in August and part of September. If you love the beach then Vancouver isn't for you. You might want to consider swapping homes with someone in Vancouver. I am sure you would get plenty of offers and then try the place out for a year and see how you go.

Where to live in Vancouver? I like the West End which is full of apartments but is close to downtown. North Vancouver is nice, too, but a bit wetter. It goes something like this: White Rock 30" rain, City Hall 40", Downtown 60", North Vancouver 80" and West Vancouver 120". It is one of the few cities in the world where at times you can go from the beach to the snow on the same day. I love when the snow covers Grouse and Seymour Mountains, both of which have skiing facilities. Living out at Ladner or White Rock is good because the climate is the best there. Modern communities and good amenities.

Some good suggestions. That's why I also suggested WA. first.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »

Some good suggestions. That's why I also suggested WA. first.
Our main priority is to get out of the States. What is so good about living in the States? My wife and I do not see it. Canada isn't exactly a communist country. They have a stable economy and overall appear to be a lot more stable then the U.S.. Yes we will have to contend with a long rainy season, but have you ever been to S. FL? We have torentual downpowns almost everyday from May until the end of October. Not light rain, buckets of rain with lightning. People get hit with lightning here all the time. Lets not forget about hurricane season, brutal. Lets not forget about the economic crisis that exists throughout the U.S. right now and it's not going to get better in a year or two or three, it's going to be many years. The crime in the U.S. is high, what is so great about living here? If you compare it to some countries yes its wonderland but compared to Canada it seems like shit to me. If the real estate market is in a bubble in B.C. thats fine we dont mind renting in the city for the next several years. Owning in S. FL. has shown me the American dream of owning a home is dead and will be for years to come.
T

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »
BTW, I realize you're trying to be helpful but we are likely at different places in our lives and willing to deal differently with the situations that we face.
T

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 02:53:15 AM »
You seem to have made up your mind. As a Canadian living in a foreign country I can tell you it isn't easy to leave and not come back. You will miss your home.

All the complaints you have can be rationally solved by moving to places that don't have those problems. Take Santa Barbara. A nice climate, not too big and away from LA. Probably one of the
best places to live in America. Honolulu is another possibility. Probably be my choice if I could have stayed there.

Getting back to Canada. Calgary has a much drier climate and is sunnier in the summer and hotter. They can have some mild days in the winter because of a phenomenon called the Chinook. It is a warm
wind coming down from the high Rockies. As air decends it heats up. I haven't heard anything bad about that city so it would be a place to keep in mind.

BC is a great place to live. Spectacular scenery and when it is sunny Vancouver is magic. Very green all year. Never gets too hot. Well, maybe for a week in the summer. I used to hang out at English and
Kitsilano Beaches so they do have a summer and there are lots of nice places to live. If you go out to Surrey it is the suburbs and close to the American border so there are advantages there. They have a skytrain of auto trains operating to the downtown. You can then take a ferry over to North Vancouver. You really do need a raincoat and umbrella when you live there. In Sydney you can get by without one.
It rains here but not that much. Come to think about it you could consider Sydney as a possibility if you want to leave. However, if your wife is from Vancouver then I recommend that you go there because family is important. You won't regret it as it is a nice place. Yes, there are Asian communities but I have grandchildren there and they go to school and mix well. All of that is a good thing. There still aren't many blacks in Canada. Just throwing that in without a comment.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2011, 07:09:42 AM »
You seem to have made up your mind. As a Canadian living in a foreign country I can tell you it isn't easy to leave and not come back. You will miss your home.

All the complaints you have can be rationally solved by moving to places that don't have those problems. Take Santa Barbara. A nice climate, not too big and away from LA. Probably one of the
best places to live in America. Honolulu is another possibility. Probably be my choice if I could have stayed there.

Getting back to Canada. Calgary has a much drier climate and is sunnier in the summer and hotter. They can have some mild days in the winter because of a phenomenon called the Chinook. It is a warm
wind coming down from the high Rockies. As air decends it heats up. I haven't heard anything bad about that city so it would be a place to keep in mind.

BC is a great place to live. Spectacular scenery and when it is sunny Vancouver is magic. Very green all year. Never gets too hot. Well, maybe for a week in the summer. I used to hang out at English and
Kitsilano Beaches so they do have a summer and there are lots of nice places to live. If you go out to Surrey it is the suburbs and close to the American border so there are advantages there. They have a skytrain of auto trains operating to the downtown. You can then take a ferry over to North Vancouver. You really do need a raincoat and umbrella when you live there. In Sydney you can get by without one.
It rains here but not that much. Come to think about it you could consider Sydney as a possibility if you want to leave. However, if your wife is from Vancouver then I recommend that you go there because family is important. You won't regret it as it is a nice place. Yes, there are Asian communities but I have grandchildren there and they go to school and mix well. All of that is a good thing. There still aren't many blacks in Canada. Just throwing that in without a comment.

I will have permanent resident status once I am approved by immigration and move to Canada. I will still be allowed to come back to the U.S.. Your experience living in Canada seems to have been a positive one which is good to hear.
T

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2011, 07:46:14 AM »
BTW, I realize you're trying to be helpful but we are likely at different places in our lives and willing to deal differently with the situations that we face.

OK, you asked about the livability of the city, so far you got lots of info about the weather, geography and some weed. I always thought livability was about more than that.  No one else has really emphasized the cost of living, the jobs situation (look at the numbers, some areas are not much different then the States. Yes the States is overall worse now but it is closer to bottoming out, whereas B.C. hasn't even started its correction.) The job field is very narrow. The taxes are insane, so much so that the people went berserk when they tried to bring in a new tax called the HST and so they voted against it because they are strapped to the hilt with debt.

For every dollar the average Canadian makes they are in debt $1.50. The countries government had its own stimulus plan for an economy that was tanking, (they don't live on another planet, they are affected by the global downturn as well.) You asked about Vancouver, ( so I am assuming you are looking for urban living), but many posters are talking about areas, (Kamloops, Okanogen), that are sparsly populated which in turn will effect your employment chances as well as travel time, (if the only work you can find is in the lower main land area.)

You mentioned the schooling system but I just read that some Vancouver parents were asked to pay for their kids computer printing paper because some school districts are feeling the financial squeeze, many suburban schools have shut down completely. The health care system is headed for some major funding issues as there are less and less young people available to  pay into a system straining under the baby boomer generations health care. B.C. has the highest level of child poverty in Canada. (read the news)

I can find you tons of newspaper clips about people leaving B.C. because the livability for them sucks and they have better chances elsewhere. Sometimes the grass seems greener when it really isn't. Again, you have not mentioned your job situation or your money situation so I am giving you a view from an angle where all that matters. If it doesn't, then go and let us know how it works out for you. Anyway's, that's it for me. I have tried to stress some important factors that will help you make a decision as a person that wants to actually live there long term and not just visit and enjoy the weather. Take care bud.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »

Yes, there are Asian communities but I have grandchildren there and they go to school and mix well. All of that is a good thing. There still aren't many blacks in Canada. Just throwing that in without a comment.

There are lots of blacks in eastern Canada. Lots.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:51 AM »

Yes, there are Asian communities but I have grandchildren there and they go to school and mix well. All of that is a good thing. There still aren't many blacks in Canada. Just throwing that in without a comment.

You mentioned that your grandchildren "mix well" in a school of their own country of origin. Are they a minority?