Author Topic: Anyone Live In Vancouver B.C.  (Read 13872 times)

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Anyone Live In Vancouver B.C.
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
I am thinking of relocating from the East Coast of the U.S. to Vancouver and would like to know the livability of that city. My wife has dual citizenship so we are aware of what I would need to do in order to become a citizen. Thanks!
T

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Anyone Live In Vancouver B.C.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
Beautiful city!  Visited about three years ago and had a great time. I stayed downtown several blocks from Stanley Park.  Hard to judge a city based on a weeklong visit, but I was impressed with Vancouver.  I toured the University of BC and that was cool.  A cool gym was just around the corner from my hotel… did the whole boat ride to Victoria, etc…. Eventually, we drove up to Whistler… a breathtakingly beautiful drive!  Do it!!!!!

It would take a lot to get me to leave SF, but if one or both of us got phenomenal job offers in Vancouver I would not immediately say no.

Yep, I rode in that gondola... and took this pic of Vancouver at night.  8)

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:53:16 PM »
i have family there and visit a couple times a year. I love it there!! Beautiful city, great weather(for canada  ;D )
If i was to move to anywhere else in Canada...thats where i would be in a heartbeat

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
Thanks for your insight Bay and Blinky. We are hoping to make the move by 06/12.

My wife and her family have visited and they only had good things to say about Vancouver.

We will be taking a short trip their in the next few months so I can get a feeling for the city.

After living in the S.E. my entire life, I believe, this would be a good move for us.

With the direction that the U.S. is heading in it is just more incentive to leave.

Both our careers are easily transferable so I don't see the downside.

After your description Bay, I am more excited to check it out. I have watched videos on

Vancouver and read a lot about it but hearing first hand experience makes a big difference.

I also know you travel quite a bit Bay so for you to give it two thumbs up says a lot.
T

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 05:02:51 AM »
I live in Vancouver... and i'll be honest.

The weather sucks ass. It's literally nice for 2-3 months if your lucky. The rest of the year is grey / wet / depressing

Vancouver has a shocking homeless population / community. It's to the point where if you walk in certain parts of the downtown your just like 'wow'

If you like living in asia than Vancouver is perfect, the population is like 80% asian in the lower mainland. The city has zero culture, it's another failed 'multi-culturalism' experiment. The majority of ethnicity's hang out with their own kind.

Everything is wayyyy too expensive.

All in all i've lived here for almost my entire life and I'm moving to Europe in the next 5 years cause this city is a joke. Not to mention outside of Vancouver there is fuck all. the next closest cities are Montreal and Toronto.

Umm oh ya, and the police are quickly turning into american style 'police state' type of officers. Very unapproachable and almost all act as if they are SWAT members.

All in all it's nothing special. If you earn 3k a month your spending 3k a month. Anyone who didn't come from another country and is well off is stuck paying mortgage and bank and are tied down to their careers. Very depressing.

I go up there all the time due to work and I already tried warning him, you just verified everything I feel about the place. The riots over a hockey game tell you lots about the spoiled brats that live there. The Chinese have taken over and its disgusting seeing 17 year old Chinese kids drive around in expensive BMWs and Audi's while sleeping in all day while mom and dad foot all the bills. They don't bother learning English and are rude as fuck. I think the pot epidemic has rotted everyones brain, how else do you explain peoe paying 1-2 million for atotal shifhole of a house. you couldn't pay me enough to live in that city. Nice to visit but to live? No way.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 06:14:33 AM »
I live in Vancouver... and i'll be honest.

The weather sucks ass. It's literally nice for 2-3 months if your lucky. The rest of the year is grey / wet / depressing

Vancouver has a shocking homeless population / community. It's to the point where if you walk in certain parts of the downtown your just like 'wow'

If you like living in asia than Vancouver is perfect, the population is like 80% asian in the lower mainland. The city has zero culture, it's another failed 'multi-culturalism' experiment. The majority of ethnicity's hang out with their own kind.

Everything is wayyyy too expensive.

All in all i've lived here for almost my entire life and I'm moving to Europe in the next 5 years cause this city is a joke. Not to mention outside of Vancouver there is fuck all. the next closest cities are Montreal and Toronto.

Umm oh ya, and the police are quickly turning into american style 'police state' type of officers. Very unapproachable and almost all act as if they are SWAT members.

All in all it's nothing special. If you earn 3k a month your spending 3k a month. Anyone who didn't come from another country and is well off is stuck paying mortgage and bank and are tied down to their careers. Very depressing.
sounds like a real shit hole when you put it like that.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »
I go up there all the time due to work and I already tried warning him, you just verified everything I feel about the place. The riots over a hockey game tell you lots about the spoiled brats that live there. The Chinese have taken over and its disgusting seeing 17 year old Chinese kids drive around in expensive BMWs and Audi's while sleeping in all day while mom and dad foot all the bills. They don't bother learning English and are rude as fuck. I think the pot epidemic has rotted everyones brain, how else do you explain peoe paying 1-2 million for atotal shifhole of a house. you couldn't pay me enough to live in that city. Nice to visit but to live? No way.
I live in South Florida aka the Banana Republic. I grew up here and over the years the ethnic ratios have changed drastically.

South Florida is now over run with Blacks and Hispanics. I think i'd rather deal with snobby Asians rather than the ghetto thugs around

South Florida. Rude people exist everywhere in the world so it's hard to avoid them. Luckily, I am not much of a people person so

I don't anticipate having too many run-ins with assholes. Bindare, if you lived in South Florida you might understand where I am coming

from. Although, the cost of living here is dirt cheap the price just isn't worth staying. After my research so far on Vancouver, my

only hurdles are the rainy winters in Vancouver which I am not used to and the cost of living which we believe will be

manageable. Otherwise, the city to us is still appealing. Appreciate your input though.
T

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 10:46:20 AM »
Spent a little more than 3 weeks in Vancouver, setting some things up for a project. As mentioned, lots of Asians and China mainland money around. Vancouver builds up, rather than out, so lots of extra tall building are being built because of increased population. Some buildings have full grown gardens & tree's of top of them. The American dollar didn't go as far as before (that was last year) so thing were expensive. Eating out was really high. The nightlife is OK, though nothing special. People tend to get drunk early and than go out, like NY when everything is somewhat close and easy to get to. Can also get cigars from Cuba up there.

Weather was good in early Sept, but at noon everyone comes out of their offices to sit out in the sun. Which tells me the weather must be pretty damp & wet most of the year.  This was confirmed by locals I met there.  

Some major American TV/Movie productions are shot up and around Vancouver, so I hung around some the those people. That's popular because Canadian actors can get a few gigs going for them. Believe Canada requires so many citizen to be hired on American film productions. Also kind of cool hearing a French speaking talk show and DJ radio  when I was there.

I liked Victoria much better. Much smaller city but fairly nice. Can tell the British influence right away. Old clique, as far as Vancouver goes, "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there". If getting bored in Vancouver take the short hop to Seattle, cool place to hang.  

If your the outdoors type, Vancouver island and BC would be like heavens gate for you. Hiking, camping, boating, hunting, fishing, etc. Every turn in a river brings something new and more unexpected  to view.
F

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »
bump
T

dustin

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »
Vancouver is an amazing city. I live on the Island in between Victoria and Vancouver so it's a lot quieter, just the way I like it. Surrounded by gorgeous mountains, turn your ass the other way and you have a spectacular view of the ocean. I never really appreciated just how fucking awesome this place was until I ventured out of the country to see how shitty all the concrete jungles and ghettos are.

The cost of living in Vancouver is astronomical though, this is the huge downfall. We pay fuckloads of tax, BC Hydro is always raising rates, the BC Ferries are fucking outrageous and food and goods and services are hella expensive for really no reason. However, it's still beautiful here. Whenever the money situation gets you down, just remember that we have some of the best weed in the world, if not the best. There are great vineyards in BC and lots of micro breweries which are pumping out some fantastic suds. I'm not much of a drinker but our province is getting a lot more respect and recognition for what we're brewing now too.

I like how it's such multi cultural province too. White people don't always speak English, Asian people aren't just limited to Japanese and Chinese, damn near all of the foreign women are fucking gorgeous and I want to stick my rod in every one of them and it just seems like people are friendlier here. Anytime I leave I always get such shocking responses when I interact with people. I always say please and thank you, open doors and make sure to smile - I thought it was just something everyone did but that's not the case. Everyone here is polite as fuck. If you see someone spark a joint on a beach or bring a case of beer it's almost guaranteed that they'll let you join in or pass you a wobbly pop. It's just the way we roll.

If you say where you come from is already expensive, pack your bags and get the fuck over here, man. If you do move here and you're on the Island then send me a PM and we'll meet up for some joints and beers or something lol

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
 Any city that calls itself the best place on earth has at it's heart a real self esteem issue. It's an inferiority complex that is usually  treated with copius amounts of drugs as was already mentioned by the previous poster but unfortunately heralded as a cool thing. "Money situation got you down? Smoke weed!" ::) yeah, that's a good selling point for the normal family.

That's the problem with Vancouver, the people have been sticking their heads in the (marijuana) clouds for too long. Maybe the brain damage caused by the vaporized grass is the reason they pay so much to live there?

The west coast of the US has just as many beautifull places to live and for waaay cheaper. why bother paying so much for anything up there when eventually the housing bubble they are experiencing is going to blow up even worse then any place down here?

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 08:02:03 PM »
Wife and I spent an hour on Skype this evening with an immigration attorney from B.C.. Looks like I can establish permanent citizenship within 14 months. Wife may go up prior to me, start working, and arrange our living situation. Got some good suggestions on areas to live from our attorney. Dustin, she recommended Richmond, Burnaby, New Westminster, and Sury, any thoughts?

Apparently, the rainy season is dark and damp with light rain. The winters in general are mild from what I have read. Here in S. Fla. the rains are brutal downpours and the summer temperatures are as high as 100 with the heat index factored in. Our attorney mentioned the economy is in good shape unlike the United States where it will continue to be piss poor for years to come.

We will be planning a trip their soon, first trip is to Montreal so my wife can show me around the city where she was born.
Thanks for the offer Dustin, just might have to take you up on it one day minus the weed. Those days are pretty much over for me. Your analysis of B.C. was informative and appreciated.
T

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 08:12:58 PM »
Any city that calls itself the best place on earth has at it's heart a real self esteem issue. It's an inferiority complex that is usually  treated with copius amounts of drugs as was already mentioned by the previous poster but unfortunately heralded as a cool thing. "Money situation got you down? Smoke weed!" ::) yeah, that's a good selling point for the normal family.

That's the problem with Vancouver, the people have been sticking their heads in the (marijuana) clouds for too long. Maybe the brain damage caused by the vaporized grass is the reason they pay so much to live there?

The west coast of the US has just as many beautifull places to live and for waaay cheaper. why bother paying so much for anything up there when eventually the housing bubble they are experiencing is going to blow up even worse then any place down here?
West coast is very pricey. Where are you suggesting? The main reason for our move is to get out of the States and take advantage of a quality school system, universal healthcare, thriving economy, less crime, expanded social services, and so I don't feel as if I am living in a Banana Republic which is what S. Fla. has become. The U.S. is a busy body country, always poking their nose into the world affairs and I'm sick of it. This Nation is slowely crumbling and we want out.

Bindare, you may be happy with where you are but everyones experience is not the same as far as the places they decide to visit or live. Bindare are you happy with your surroundings and where you live, which city do you live in if you don't mind me asking?
T

dustin

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 02:01:18 AM »

Get over yourself, bro. ::)

deadz, I wouldn't recommend Surrey at all. I'm brown and even I don't feel safe there. New West is a bit of a dump and Burnaby is also pretty ghetto. I don't go to Richmond much, but it's the epitome of "Hongcouver" and that's about as much as I know about it. I go to the mainland to visit friends and relatives a lot but to me, it kind of feels the same everywhere.

I'd have to keep recommending the Island for sure. Victoria is fun to visit but not the funnest place to live like most people have mentioned. Ask your immigration attorney if they know of any places here that they could recommend. As far as housing is concerned, I've got a home already but will be looking into buying another if my wife wins her insurance case and gets a good settlement, so I should probably pay attention. That shit is such a headache though and really isn't my forte. All I know is that everything on the mainland is absolutely brutal. So many Asians and East Indians bring their families over and buy homes with drug money too. The thought of living there never even enters my mind.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 09:20:49 AM »

deadz, I wouldn't recommend Surrey at all. I'm brown and even I don't feel safe there. New West is a bit of a dump and Burnaby is also pretty ghetto. I don't go to Richmond much, but it's the epitome of "Hongcouver" and that's about as much as I know about it. I go to the mainland to visit friends and relatives a lot but to me, it kind of feels the same everywhere.

I'd have to keep recommending the Island for sure. Victoria is fun to visit but not the funnest place to live like most people have mentioned. Ask your immigration attorney if they know of any places here that they could recommend. As far as housing is concerned, I've got a home already but will be looking into buying another if my wife wins her insurance case and gets a good settlement, so I should probably pay attention. That shit is such a headache though and really isn't my forte. All I know is that everything on the mainland is absolutely brutal. So many Asians and East Indians bring their families over and buy homes with drug money too. The thought of living there never even enters my mind.
Our immigration attorney is the one who recommended those areas I mentioned. We may want to rent a house initially or a condo in the city. Do you know of any areas that would be rent friendly and nice? Living on the island may make it time consuming to get to work if we are working in the city. My wife and I are past the point about caring about a "happening nightlife" so a quite area would be fine. Also, no offense to you about my pointing to blacks and hispanics as a reason for getting out of S. Fla.. As you know ethnicities do vary quite a bit in their behavior and the behavior of the majority of blacks and hispanics here is ghetto. As I mentioned, we will be visiting in a few months but it's always good to get a reference of the area from a local, thanks.
T

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
Vancouver is an amazing city. I live on the Island in between Victoria and Vancouver so it's a lot quieter, just the way I like it. Surrounded by gorgeous mountains, turn your ass the other way and you have a spectacular view of the ocean. I never really appreciated just how fucking awesome this place was until I ventured out of the country to see how shitty all the concrete jungles and ghettos are.

The cost of living in Vancouver is astronomical though, this is the huge downfall. We pay fuckloads of tax, BC Hydro is always raising rates, the BC Ferries are fucking outrageous and food and goods and services are hella expensive for really no reason. However, it's still beautiful here. Whenever the money situation gets you down, just remember that we have some of the best weed in the world, if not the best. There are great vineyards in BC and lots of micro breweries which are pumping out some fantastic suds. I'm not much of a drinker but our province is getting a lot more respect and recognition for what we're brewing now too.

I like how it's such multi cultural province too. White people don't always speak English, Asian people aren't just limited to Japanese and Chinese, damn near all of the foreign women are fucking gorgeous and I want to stick my rod in every one of them and it just seems like people are friendlier here. Anytime I leave I always get such shocking responses when I interact with people. I always say please and thank you, open doors and make sure to smile - I thought it was just something everyone did but that's not the case. Everyone here is polite as fuck. If you see someone spark a joint on a beach or bring a case of beer it's almost guaranteed that they'll let you join in or pass you a wobbly pop. It's just the way we roll.

If you say where you come from is already expensive, pack your bags and get the fuck over here, man. If you do move here and you're on the Island then send me a PM and we'll meet up for some joints and beers or something lol
Whats the name of the area/island? How far are you from a business district?
T

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

He was asking about VANCOUVER, thanks for validating what a dump it and its neighboring cities are.

The cost of living in Vancouver is astronomical though, this is the huge downfall. We pay fuckloads of tax, BC Hydro is always raising rates, the BC Ferries are fucking outrageous and food and goods and services are hella expensive for really no reason.. Everyone here is polite as fuck.

If you see someone spark a joint on a beach or bring a case of beer it's almost guaranteed that they'll let you join in or pass you a wobbly pop. It's just the way we roll.

LMAO.

I hope this post is as transparent to deadz as it is me, read it really well, add the positives and the negatives, the answer tis clear. This guy tells me to get over myself but then goes on to list a bunch of things that most people find unpleasent about the place.

"Everything on the mainland is brutal." Yeah thats what were saying, so whats your problem?  

Hey deadz, all you have to do is either win the lottery, win a settlement with the insurance company or get into the drug trade and you can live like a king there. lol

dustin

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »

He was asking about VANCOUVER, thanks for validating what a dump it and its neighboring cities are.

HEY DUMBFUCK!! His immigration attorney recommended these places which is why I had commented on them. Feeling a bit bashful now, cock sucker?

LMAO.

I hope this post is as transparent to deadz as it is me, read it really well, add the positives and the negatives, the answer tis clear. This guy tells me to get over myself but then goes on to list a bunch of things that most people find unpleasent about the place.

"Everything on the mainland is brutal." Yeah thats what were saying, so whats your problem?  

Hey deadz, all you have to do is either win the lottery, win a settlement with the insurance company or get into the drug trade and you can live like a king there. lol

You really are a fucking prick, aren't you?

Yes, of course I'm going to highlight BOTH the good and the bad. Moving is a serious decision and he needs all the facts. I'm just giving him MY personal observations so he can form his own conclusion. He's a smart man, unlike yourself you fucking twat.

By the way, I live in Nanaimo. Hopefully Bindare_Dundat stops by for a visit soon so I can smack some sense into him.. fucking prick. Vancouver is habitable and you don't need to be a millionaire. But in comparison to places which are nearby and are far more beautiful, you really need to weigh out the pros and cons. Some people love living in a concrete jungle but personally it's not for me. I do however like being close enough that if I want to venture into busier places like Vancouver or Victoria, they're just a bit over an hour away. I've found that Islanders are far more relaxed... the Asians in Vancouver can be pretty disrespectful like others have mentioned. Try walking down the street or through a busy mall and the dumb fuckers won't move an inch. I just shoulder check the dumb fuckers if they don't move out of the way. I'm courteous enough to move out of the way but when they keep walking completely straight then I do the same thing. :-*

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »
HEY DUMBFUCK!! His immigration attorney recommended these places which is why I had commented on them. Feeling a bit bashful now, cock sucker?

You really are a fucking prick, aren't you?

Yes, of course I'm going to highlight BOTH the good and the bad. Moving is a serious decision and he needs all the facts. I'm just giving him MY personal observations so he can form his own conclusion. He's a smart man, unlike yourself you fucking twat.

By the way, I live in Nanaimo. Hopefully Bindare_Dundat stops by for a visit soon so I can smack some sense into him.. fucking prick. Vancouver is habitable and you don't need to be a millionaire. But in comparison to places which are nearby and are far more beautiful, you really need to weigh out the pros and cons. Some people love living in a concrete jungle but personally it's not for me. I do however like being close enough that if I want to venture into busier places like Vancouver or Victoria, they're just a bit over an hour away. I've found that Islanders are far more relaxed... the Asians in Vancouver can be pretty disrespectful like others have mentioned. Try walking down the street or through a busy mall and the dumb fuckers won't move an inch. I just shoulder check the dumb fuckers if they don't move out of the way. I'm courteous enough to move out of the way but when they keep walking completely straight then I do the same thing. :-*

Ah, lovely chilled island attitude you have. Those west coasters, so laid back.

dustin

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »

Ah, lovely chilled island attitude you have. Those west coasters, so laid back.

I want to rip your face off and wear it as a mask while I defecate on your corpse.

Then go for a lovely seaside walk and listen to the seagulls and sound of the gentle waves crashing against the shore. So relaxing.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »
I've flown from Calgary to Vancouver on business trips dozens of times.   The weather is pretty crappy.  Lots and lots of rain, and many times it rains non-stop for weeks at a time.   When it's a blue sky and not raining, it's a beautiful City, but sadly, most of the year it's cloudy and rainy.   

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »
I've flown from Calgary to Vancouver on business trips dozens of times.   The weather is pretty crappy.  Lots and lots of rain, and many times it rains non-stop for weeks at a time.   When it's a blue sky and not raining, it's a beautiful City, but sadly, most of the year it's cloudy and rainy.   
Good feedback. Any other observations about Vancouver?
T

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
T

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 03:15:24 PM »
My father retired to Vancouver Island British Columbia.  It's a two-hour ferry from Vancouver (Victoria or Nanaimo).  And he lived two hours drive north.

If you want to see Paradise go there, I visited 3 times.  It's a long way, it's the end of the earth.  

I even drove all the way across to the Pacific, to Tofino.  

Vancouver Island is the size of England.

Yes, it's a temperate climate, similar to here where I now live in the UK.  Which means that you get weather.  It's sunny, it's hot, it rains.  It's a million shades of green and truly fabulous.  It snows in winter, it's everything.

If you want hot all day and desert, go to Africa or Nevada or Australia.  If you want cold and snow and short days with no sun go to Scandinavia or Russia.  

>>>But if you want sunshine out back whilst there's rain in the front garden, go to BC.  Mountains and Oceans.  Mist and ozone.  Rainbows and thunder and lighting.  Stupendous sunsets.  Islands upon islands, mountains every which way you look.  Truly incredible scenery (as they say, awesome...

There's an island off Vancouver Island called Quadra and an island off that which you can move to where land is free, just take a ground sheet and a case of beer.  There are purple and yellow starfish and orange sunfish on the beach in the morning and neon green phosphorescence at night in the ocean.  It's technicolour.

Laid back people, I adored it.  Yes there are many homeless in Vancouver City, as in any populous place nowadays.

xL in London England
Things will get worse and I suggest you aim to move toward safer places for your future

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »
lol

That was hillarious.

All that and this can be yours for only $1.3,000,000.

http://louminatti.blogspot.com/2010/04/are-canadians-insane.html

or maybe you perfer something with even more of the "serial killer lives here" look for only $1.6,000,000. But don't worry, you only have to travel for about 3.5 hours to see some star fish and check out that awesome landscaping.

Or how about this gem. Only $2.5 million. No... no real estate bubble here.