Author Topic: How many guys use syriange filter when using glass amps?  (Read 3898 times)

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
How many guys use syriange filter when using glass amps?
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
Flinstones happend to ask me through pm if I bother to use a syriange filter when using glass amps. I honestly don't. I didn't realize the risks involved. I have a good amp opener so I usually get a pretty clean break. I guess having shards of glass injected into your body can really have some serious effects. I'm gonna use a filter from now on. Thanks you Flinstones for brining this to my attention.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
Re: How many guys use syriange filter when using glass amps?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
great topic, as this is hardly ever discussed in the steroid world . Here is my opinion on the matter.

all hospitals require staff to use a filtered needle when drawing from glass ampoules and there is evidence that injecting glass shards can cause inflammatory issues in animals. Anyone who does not use one is nuts, in my opinion. I personally try to use them as often as possible, they are fairly cheap anyways so why not? And just because you have never heard of any bodybuilder dying from a glass shard does not mean that there is no risk friends. all it take is once and better to be safe than sorry  ;)

http://classic.aacn.org/aacn/practice.nsf/a40dd285cb9efd8e8825669e00031e21/69d2c30ba9fa866c88256754006d7cde?OpenDocument

Bacterial contamination has always been the major concern associated with the intravenous administration of medications and is a well-known cause of morbidity and mortality. Additional risk factors, however, have been identified and must also be considered.

The potential risks associated with administration of medications supplied in glass ampules is much greater than realized by most practitioners. Opening a glass ampule produces a shower of glass particles, many of which enter the ampule and contaminate the contents. Some of the particles have been shown to carry bacteria, though the significance of this has not been determined.The number of glass particles found in opened ampules varies, but most reports indicate approximately 100 particles, ranging in size from 10 to 1,000 µm, per 10-mL ampule. The particle count increases as the size of the ampule increases (ie, a 20-mL ampule will contain more glass particles than a 10-mL ampule). When the content of a 10-mL ampule is aspirated through an 18-gauge, 1.5-inch needle, the particle count is reduced by approximately one third (ie, approximately 65 particles remain in the aspirate), and the maximum particle size is reduced to less than 400 µm.

The potential risks associated with intravenous administration of glass particles are based on animal studies, though similar risks would apply equally to humans. It has been shown that glass particles cause inflammatory reactions (eg, phlebitis) and granuloma formation in pulmonary, hepatic, splenic, renal, and intestinal tissue. This represents a significant risk of an adverse patient outcome.

The effective removal of glass particles from an opened ampule can be accomplished by aspirating through a 19-gauge, 5-µm filter needle. Using this method decreases the average total number of particles in the aspirate to approximately ±1, and the particle size to less than 200 µm. Using a 0.22-µm in-line filter offers little or no additional benefit, and is more costly and labor intensive—once the ampule content is aspirated into a syringe, the filter needle must be replaced with a standard needle prior to transferring or administering the medication.

Based on the available information, a filter needle is recommended when aspirating a medication from a glass ampule.
l

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
It might not be as bad for bodybuilders because we don't inject intravenously. I'm hoping that's the case.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
 Man I hope so, I remember a while back I had some zafas that shattered everywhere!  and I drew with a 20g :o

Im still alive but who is to say this wont lead to problems 15-20 years down the road. Im not gonna let it keep me up at night though
l

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »
Man I hope so, I remember a while back I had some zafas that shattered everywhere!  and I drew with a 20g :o

Im still alive but who is to say this wont lead to problems 15-20 years down the road. Im not gonna let it keep me up at night though

You know what I think the glass is pretty sterile. Your body can fight that shit off. Look at the people that get shrapnel wounds.

OlDirTy

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »
all hospitals require staff to use a filtered needle when drawing from glass ampoules

Not where I am. Never used it.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »
Not where I am. Never used it.

wow man. I really wish there was more info on the matter. All I know is two things.

1)Glass particles do make it through a non filtered needle
2) Glass particles can be hazardous to humans

Maximizing patient safety: filter needle use with glass ampules.
Heiss-Harris GM, Verklan MT.
SourcePediatrix Medical Group, Austin, TX, USA. gmhccrn@hotmail.com

Abstract
Particle contamination of medications obtained from glass ampules can pose serious hazards to patients. Particle contamination may be reduced by using a filter needle when obtaining medication from glass ampules prior to administration. The purpose of this article is 2-fold, to educate nursing staff caring for neonates about (1) the potential risk and resultant complications related to particle contamination and the benefit of utilizing a filter needle when obtaining medication from glass ampules, prior to administration of the medication to patients, and (2) the construction of a unit-specific filter needle protocol. The article promotes the continued change in nursing practice regarding nurses erring on the side of safety, with the ultimate goal of improving patient safety and outcome
l

Max B

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
cliff notes what size filter should you use?

whitewidow

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 02:54:33 AM »
better to be safe than sorry!

Max B

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
What syringe filter should i get.. size and specs and shit..... im ordering from gpz  .. thx brohams

danabol

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »
no time for that filter crap its out the amp an in the ass ....you couled say that about bits of rubber from the stopper on the vail

take your pick rubber or glass

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 11:08:39 PM »

http://www.alinboard.com/archive/index.php/t-5929.html

Just a follow-up on use of filter needle. A prudent nurse will use scientific evidence rather than tradition to guide practice, and there is very little in the literature to support use of filter needles. However, most of what is available supports (at least weakly) their use for IV/parenteral injections when the med is in a glass ampule.

Support of using filter needles to prepare for IM injections, though, is very vague. Glass is the one of the most inert substances on earth, and the chance of it causing some sort of imflammatory response in muscle is quite low.

In the interest of safest practice and the lack of research on this, I recommend use of filter needle for IV but not IM injections.
l