Author Topic: Donnie Thompson totals 3000  (Read 11196 times)

John O

• Getbig III
Donnie Thompson totals 3000
« on: August 22, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »
1265lb squat, 950lb bench and a 785 deadlift.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/20036

Of course theres lots of comments!...... mostly negative  :P  :P
Masters- 50-54
148#

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
Re: Donnie Thompson totals 3000
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »
they should be negative. that squat was nowhere near to depth.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
Real test of strength is the deadlift..........as we can see. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
Real test of strength is the deadlift..........as we can see. :)

yeah, that discrepancy bw the squat and DL is pretty clear. One would think they would be within 200lbs anyway.  I want to see a video of that "bench press." have a feeling that will be closer to a gym # than a true comp #

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »
Chad Smith's #905 Raw that happened this weekend too-

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:55:41 AM »
You guys just don't get multiply lifting...

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »
are depth standards different in multiply?

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
that squat was high,but donnie has done,big squats that were much deeper.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »
are depth standards different in multiply?

According to the rulebooks, no. But in practice they are yes. Single ply feds generally have you go below parallel to pass, which is not actually stipulated in their rule books as of the last time I checked. Multiply reffing requires you to just break parallel, as stated in all rule books. I'm not going to lie, Donnie's squat looked high, but judging from front videos is far from ideal. If you look closely one hip dips more than the other and this is the side he got a white on. I wasn't there so I can't make an informed statement on it, but regardless it's strong as fuck.

There are discrepancies between the squat and the deadlift for obvious reasons. In multiply you SHOULD be squatting much more than you pull, even if you are a natural deadlifter. This is the nature of the sport. Also bear in mind the guy squatted 1265 and benched 950 before getting onto the deadlift. That effort takes much more toll on you than if you were squatting and benching in single ply imo.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »
Powerlifting equipment, especially multi-ply has been out of control for a while and is getting worse.  It's almost unheard in raw lifting to have a higher bench than deadlift, but in equipped "especially mutl-ply" it's extremely common.  

Being a raw lifter, I hate having to constantly explain to people that know little about powerlifting the difference between equipped and raw lifting.  They often look at you like you have 3 heads and can't grasp how a shirt and suits can make such a difference.  

However, powerlifting even more so than bodybuilding, is a fringe sport so to say.  Little money to be made in it.  Inzer, Titan, etc bring a lot of "comparatively speaking" to the sport in way of sponsorship $ therefore the equipment isn't going anywhere no matter how bad it gets.  

On a positive note, at least the old blatant like about the equipment being for "safety purposes" oh brother  ::) is rarely being used anymore.   :)

Privately, most old school powerlifting and even many equipment users themselves in private will admit that the equipment is bullshit and out of control but know as well as I do that it's not going anywhere.

Luckily, despite tries from the big shirt and equipment makers, raw powerlifting has made a comeback and now most organizations have a raw division.  

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:56:02 PM »
Powerlifting equipment, especially multi-ply has been out of control for a while and is getting worse.  It's almost unheard in raw lifting to have a higher bench than deadlift, but in equipped "especially mutl-ply" it's extremely common.  

Being a raw lifter, I hate having to constantly explain to people that know little about powerlifting the difference between equipped and raw lifting.  They often look at you like you have 3 heads and can't grasp how a shirt and suits can make such a difference.  

However, powerlifting even more so than bodybuilding, is a fringe sport so to say.  Little money to be made in it.  Inzer, Titan, etc bring a lot of "comparatively speaking" to the sport in way of sponsorship $ therefore the equipment isn't going anywhere no matter how bad it gets.  

On a positive note, at least the old blatant like about the equipment being for "safety purposes" oh brother  ::) is rarely being used anymore.   :)

Privately, most old school powerlifting and even many equipment users themselves in private will admit that the equipment is bullshit and out of control but know as well as I do that it's not going anywhere.

Luckily, despite tries from the big shirt and equipment makers, raw powerlifting has made a comeback and now most organizations have a raw division.  

I wouldn't say the equipment is out of control per say. It's simply an evolution of the sport imo. I think most people get the perception that the equipment is out of control because they see high squats, unlocked benches etc being passed. If the rules were enforced more sternly I think multiply lifting would be bashed less. I've done both raw and multiply lifting. I'm now a multiply lifter and tbh the thought of raw lifting bores me despite me previously being a total raw zealot. Try equipped lifting, you never know, you might get hooked  ;)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:31:20 PM »
While Ive only competed raw, I do like watching the equipped lifters very much. I have a mind to go single ply next year.

And I realize that judges see lifts differnently (much like balls and stikes in baseball). Hwever, the problem becomes when certain federations are hell bent in having the first 3000 total, 1000 bench, etc and bend the rules a bit to accomplish these feats.

Those guys are at the top of the game and are close to golden numbers but green lighting that shi does nothing for the lifter or the sport

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 03:52:48 AM »
While Ive only competed raw, I do like watching the equipped lifters very much. I have a mind to go single ply next year.

And I realize that judges see lifts differnently (much like balls and stikes in baseball). Hwever, the problem becomes when certain federations are hell bent in having the first 3000 total, 1000 bench, etc and bend the rules a bit to accomplish these feats.

Those guys are at the top of the game and are close to golden numbers but green lighting that shi does nothing for the lifter or the sport

Agreed!

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »

good post.  agreed.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
I'm just getting interested in PL, and starting to train (no hope of ever being a serious competitor).  My question is, is PL as bad as bodybuilding in that no one can ever achieve anything without there being endless controversy? 
~

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
I'm just getting interested in PL, and starting to train (no hope of ever being a serious competitor).  My question is, is PL as bad as bodybuilding in that no one can ever achieve anything without there being endless controversy? 

Without getting into a lot of things, no Powerlifting is still mellower than Bodybuilding. The biggest problem with PL, barring arguements over suits, is that it is broken up into so many federations(literally more than you can count on one hand, and that's just the very large ones) all wanting a piece of the pie, and all having different standards of judging. My advice would be pick a side raw or equipted( or even both), and just work on getting strong. If you're squatting deep, benching proper and pulling nice, no one will say you aren't strong regardless of federation.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »
Without getting into a lot of things, no Powerlifting is still mellower than Bodybuilding. The biggest problem with PL, barring arguements over suits, is that it is broken up into so many federations(literally more than you can count on one hand, and that's just the very large ones) all wanting a piece of the pie, and all having different standards of judging. My advice would be pick a side raw or equipted( or even both), and just work on getting strong. If you're squatting deep, benching proper and pulling nice, no one will say you aren't strong regardless of federation.

Got it.  Thanks for the reply.  Like I was saying, my numbers are so far beneath suspicion that I wouldn't even be accused of being a powerlifter at this point.   >:(
~

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »
Got it.  Thanks for the reply.  Like I was saying, my numbers are so far beneath suspicion that I wouldn't even be accused of being a powerlifter at this point.   >:(

Man, don't worry about that!!  Find a small local meet and enter! Give your self about 8, 10 or 12 weeks to train for it. Get yourself "a real total" and go from there. Powerlifting people are the nice's people I have ever met in any sport I have been involved in. Nobody cares if you place 1st or last! you will have their respect just for being up there competing!

Besides while your waiting to bring up your numbers, someone else you may even total less then you are, is there competing anyway........ and having a blast!!  ;)
Masters- 50-54
148#

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Man, don't worry about that!!  Find a small local meet and enter! Give your self about 8, 10 or 12 weeks to train for it. Get yourself "a real total" and go from there. Powerlifting people are the nice's people I have ever met in any sport I have been involved in. Nobody cares if you place 1st or last! you will have their respect just for being up there competing!

Besides while your waiting to bring up your numbers, someone else you may even total less then you are, is there competing anyway........ and having a blast!!  ;)

Will do.  Thanks.

Just heading to the gym in a few.
~

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
\ Nobody cares if you place 1st or last! you will have their respect just for being up there competing!

\

QFT.  90 % of competitors in a meet are there trying to get a PR or reach a goal they've set for themselves. They are not concerned with the squat depth or lockout from somebody else.

The rare blowhard will be sitting in the corner alone. The remainder of guys will be cheering you on like you found a terrorist and are beating him with a wrench.

PS, you'll probably get a cool medal, its worthless, but looks bitchen to your weakling friends.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 10:46:45 PM »
i watched it and paused it. when he dips down its close..hard to tell from the angle but its closer than watching it in real time
irongearco.com

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
lol that squat was a fuckin joke
P