Author Topic: Earthquake 6.0 in Washington DC - I was just in an Earthquake.  (Read 20329 times)

Stavios

Re: Earthquake 6.0 in Washington DC - I was just in an Earthquake.
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
Tough it out!  Earthquakes are par for the course around here.  Having lived in earthquake and hurricane territory, I know it pays to be ready with emergency kits and other supplies!  8)

http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_120_A_c2c_E_ln_A_name_E_EmergencyKitsandComponents

Bay has a bunker under his house for all the muscle bear who need protection

;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
Bay has a bunker under his house for all the muscle bear who need protection

;D

I do, but they all have to put out! That's the price of entry!  ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
I do, but they all have to put out! That's the price of entry!  ;D
No Twinks allowed.  :-\  I guess I will just have to send you a fruit basket instead.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
Thanks for the update, Chaos.

You might not have been around when that big one hit LA and caused a lot of damage to the VA hospital over in the valley.

I was with a bunch of stunt guys working the horses and we felt it and soon learned that the hospital has suffered some pretty extensive damage.

So without a thought a bunch of the guys hopped in their Jeeps and headed on over to help in any way  that they could. My friend Jack helped many patients get resettled that afternoon.

Do you recall the year and the epicenter of that one?

Unlike you and Coach I am scared shitless of quakes and while I was in a good size quake in Newport Beach we learned that the epicenter was a short distance east of the LA Airport (LAX) and aftershocks  in that area were surely expected.

So I thought that maybe I could overcome my fear of quakes by being in the center of one if an aftershock should occur as expected.

So I drove up there and got a room in a cheap motel a few miles east of LAX.

Stayed two nights but nothing happened, so my earthquake fears still exist and I'm still doing my best to jump up and down when one does occur .... which does seem to help a bit.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
Funny but in Hawaii whenever mother nature gets destructive ... all the stores run out of toilet paper.

And one other item which I have forgotten.

Could possibly be rice.

How about helping out here, Pellius?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
Thanks for the update, Chaos.

You might not have been around when that big one hit LA and caused a lot of damage to the VA hospital over in the valley.

I was with a bunch of stunt guys working the horses and we felt it and soon learned that the hospital has suffered some pretty extensive damage.

So without a thought a bunch of the guys hopped in their Jeeps and headed on over to help in any way  that they could. My friend Jack helped many patients get resettled that afternoon.

Do you recall the year and the epicenter of that one?

Unlike you and Coach I am scared shitless of quakes and while I was in a good size quake in Newport Beach we learned that the epicenter was a short distance east of the LA Airport (LAX) and aftershocks  in that area were surely expected.

So I thought that maybe I could overcome my fear of quakes by being in the center of one if an aftershock should occur as expected.

So I drove up there thinking that I might lessen my fear if I experienced on in the very center of it.

Stayed two nights but nothing happened, so my earthquake fears still exist and I'm still doing my best to jump up and down when one does occur .... which does seem to help a bit.
That one today was more than enough for me.  I don`t think I could deal with it if it occurred frequently.  I`ve been through Tornadoes and Hurricanes, but that is just on a whole different level.  You can`t go anywhere and literally are paralyzed.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
TA, try jumping up and down while saying stupid shit like, "Ride em........!"

Sounds dumb as shit but it works for me ..........sometimes.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: I was just in an Earthquake.
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »
I wonder how many minority houses were effected?

im guessing the minorities were a little bit shook up. They should probably seek out there social workers for PTSD compensations and more disability assistance, they do not deserve to go through such things in those houses
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »
TA, try jumping up and down while saying stupid shit like, "Ride em........!"

Sounds dumb as shit but it works for me sometimes.

i do shit like this all day long
A

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »
JF, funny! I laffed!

JF, what's a 'minority house' look like? I might have one.

And what is PDSA or however it is 'spelled'? I might join up.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
There are two Large Furnaces in the crawl space and you can stand up in the space so you don`t have to crawl. The other Furnace is on the Third Floor in the attic.  We have 3 Furnaces, one for each floor.  Under the house I can see the old bricks, boards etc and its completely dry and cool down there, like a root cellar would have been.  There are also vents under the house in the Crawl Space that are connected to the Air Conditioners (3 separate units for each floor and feed into each Furnace) that blow Cold Air in the Crawl Space.  My guess is Under the House is Air Conditioned in order to preserve the Floor Joists and Flooring all of which are original.  

I`ll see if I can get a picture for you if you really are interested in seeing under there.  It is really cool actually and I really haven`t explored it too much.  There might be something buried in there.

is there insulation up under the house? i know many dont even have insulation under the house yet the wood is remarkebly preserved
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
Here are a couple of shots I failed to add above.

They might help to calm you down .... or possibly just the opposite.

Don't do what this kid is doing under any circumstance.

After shock hits, and the little pussy loses his legs?  ???

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2011, 01:25:46 PM »
LOL at the police/security/fbi looking for suspects after the quake   ::) ::)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
Had one in Colorado last night 5.5, shock the house some. highly unusual here and at that magnitude even more rare.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
JF, what's a 'minority house' look like? I might have one.

And what is PDSA or however it is 'spelled'? I might join up.

minorities can get alot of things from there social workers maybe even Post tramatic stress disorder compensations  ;D

A

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »
the look on these scared pusssies is laughable

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2011, 01:29:26 PM »
I'm no construction expert  but I do recall cracks in the walls around fireplaces as the predominant form of interior house damage after minor quakes within the San Fran Bay Area.

During major damage, the chimneys themselves are destroyed.

Chimneys don't bend I guess.

California freeway overpasses are now constructed on some form of "rollers" that are supposed to prevent major destruction. Now they just roll with the punches. Or are supposed to.

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »
Terrorist Quake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARM THE TROOPS    :o :o :o :o

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
i love this houses bridge but the roof could take some getting used to
A

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »
Terrorist Quake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARM THE TROOPS    :o :o :o :o

fatso checking her phone:

"wtf all the restaraunts shut down....idk what im havin 4 lunch...guess i have a few twix in my purse lol..we still on 4 kardashian party 2nite??

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
is there insulation up under the house? i know many dont even have insulation under the house yet the wood is remarkebly preserved
I`ll take a look and take note next time I go down there.  There is Blown in Insulation throughout and It may be down there also overhead.  It is climate controlled down there with the vents so I know that helps with Preservation.  The old boards I do see in the attic are incredibly massive and thick, blackened with age, petrified like.  The  Front Porch still has all of the original flooring and wood work and that part is not climate controlled.  It is built on a raise, as Antebellum houses were with steps you walk up.  There is good air circulation underneath the Front Porch and it stays completely dry under there.  The house is also surrounded by Willow Oaks which provide protection from UV rays and water.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
Tough it out!  Earthquakes are par for the course around here.  Having lived in earthquake and hurricane territory, I know it pays to be ready with emergency kits and other supplies!  8)

http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_120_A_c2c_E_ln_A_name_E_EmergencyKitsandComponents
Here is the problem Bay, this area is far more "important" (historically and politically). Many of the buildings and homes in Annapolis are from the 1600's.  There are questions if the structural integrity of National Monument and the other monuments have been compromised. Gov't agencies have been evacuated in DC...in terms of earthquakes, this area is far more stable than Cali. Although, there are faultlines around here, and they are small, but a big earthquake can be had from smaller faultlines.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2011, 01:47:01 PM »
JF, thanks for the minority house update.

Regarding that other photo of the house with a 'bridge" leading to the front door ...... My brother had a similar home on a hillside in an unreal redwood tree forest. His house looked similar but the side of the house opposite the front/bridge entrance was all glass looking downhill through the redwood trees.

It was possibly one of the finest locations/settings for a house of this type in the Marin County area.

One hell of a spectacular house over by Muir Woods in Marin County. All his friends (firemen) held their weddings there.

Never any earthquake damage but when the trees shook, it was one hell of a sight to see.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
It is all due to global warming ...  ;D

ha ha ha  8)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
can't believe i slept through this sh*t. We never get quakes on long island.

Picked the wrong day to be a bum  :'(