Author Topic: Chinese bank company offers 1.2 Billion for MLB franchise  (Read 829 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Chinese bank company offers 1.2 Billion for MLB franchise
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:22:23 AM »
Selling the LA Dodgers? 

Is this nothing more than what will eventually be a 100 year transformation to China taking over most things in our country?

Companies, real estate, sports...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Chinese bank company offers 1.2 Billion for MLB franchise
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:26:02 AM »
Just like Japan did in the 80's?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »
Just like Japan did in the 80's?

how much US Debt did japan own in the 80s, and what was the value of the $USD back then?

methinks things are a little differnet now, cupcake.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:41:27 AM »
how much US Debt did japan own in the 80s, and what was the value of the $USD back then?

What percentage of our debt does China have?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »
Like a wise man once said (240?) they can't force us to pay up.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
What percentage of our debt does China have?

This is from 2 years ago, so add to it:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timcollard/100011049/america-owes-china-two-trillion-dollars-but-what-does-that-mean/

America owes China two trillion dollars. But what does that mean?

There are one or two issues of major global importance which get too little attention, simply because they are so complex. One of them is the uncomfortable economic stand-off between China and America, about which learned articles have rumbled on for months in the stiffer journals, read by few and understood by even fewer. Now they are snapping at each other about little bits of protectionism, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

We are all familiar with the aphorism which goes: “If you owe someone a thousand pounds, you’ve got a problem. If you owe someone a million pounds, he’s got a problem.” Now, the US owes China two trillion dollars. Who’s got the problem?

In an earlier blogpost I flippantly suggested that if the US’s debt to China got any bigger China would in effect “own” the USA. Of course this is nonsense, because China has no way of staking its claim. Should the US default on a payment, they can hardly send the bailiffs round to repossess California. Every now and then the Chinese mutter about the possibility of doing down the dollar by changing some of their reserves into yen or euros, but they don’t mean it: they don’t want to undermine the dollar while they’re still owed so many of them.

Meanwhile, the Americans grumble endlessly that the Chinese are keeping the value of their currency artificially low. It is a logical nonsense that one of the world economy’s biggest players still has a currency which is not freely convertible and allowed to find its own level on the markets. But it’s not exactly hard to see why the Chinese are not yet prepared to venture forth on the choppy waters of untrammelled currency speculation. Their current policy originated as a defence against the worst of the Asian financial crisis in the late 90s, and its wisdom wasn’t exactly shaken by more recent events.

So, to the American plea to level the terms of trade by letting the currency float, the Chinese simply say “Why should we?” Well, because it’s not fair in the context of free trade. But the Chinese have an all-purpose get-out: we may be a major player in absolute terms, but per capita we’re still a poor developing country. So we need these little unfairnesses to help us get on level terms with you. The implication is that China won’t treat the US as an equal until their per capita economies are of similar size, i.e. when China’s economy is five times the size of America’s.

How do we get out of this double bind? We’ll see if any bright ideas come up at the G20. I’m not holding my breath.

I hate the State.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:24:11 AM »

In the 80's 85%~ of total U.S. debt was held domestically. It's around 40%~(last figure I saw under Bush) now, probably lower.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:41:24 AM »
Like a wise man once said (240?) they can't force us to pay up.

When you owe the bank $10,000..... they own you.

When you owe the bank $10 million... you own them!

Now, that changes if the bank owns all your nat'l parks, large chunks of the west, Texas drilling rights, sports teams, buildings in Ny.... ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
When you owe the bank $10,000..... they own you.

When you owe the bank $10 million... you own them!

Now, that changes if the bank owns all your nat'l parks, large chunks of the west, Texas drilling rights, sports teams, buildings in Ny.... ;)

What is your prediction here lord of the glock?
I hate the State.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
What is your prediction here lord of the glock?

in 100 years, the USA, after decades of slow property and operations grabbing by china, and perhaps a few major crisii.... is quietly taken over.\

won't matter to me... i'll be shitting in a diaper or long gone from mcgriddle arteries. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »
in 100 years, the USA, after decades of slow property and operations grabbing by china, and perhaps a few major crisii.... is quietly taken over.\

won't matter to me... i'll be shitting in a diaper or long gone from mcgriddle arteries. 

You are such a lovely lad.
I hate the State.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
You are such a lovely lad.

i go back and forth.  id' like to stick around for the 'i told you so' moments.

but at 130 years old, my penis will probably be in fail mode... and who can live with that?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 10:14:49 AM »
China is a trainwreck too.

Financially
Demographically
Resources

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 10:19:46 AM »

Financially
Demographically
Resources

I agree. Many countries are these days. These certainly are not the promised times.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »

Financially
Demographically
Resources

Absolutely.  Their entire domestic system is going to crumble.  They can't keep suppressing individual liberty.  Their censorship of the internet is actually pretty funny. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »
When it comes down to it, China has no oil and imports over 50% of their grain/wheat. They lack arable land and freshwater. They are fucked from the One Child Policy. They copy and simply do not innovate.

They hold a big amount of our debt, not a majority-not even close, but a big number of it. Well, if they cash that in they collapse as well. If they let wages rise, they will have a revolution. If inflation goes batty like it's beginning too they will have a revolution.

They are in bad, bad shape. We, the U.S., aren't as boxed in. We can erect tariffs to equalize the wage arbitrage and have production slowly but surly move back on shore. It would suck, but it can be done.

You want to drop the U.S. debt? So goodbye to your ability to eat. Hello revolution.
You want to drop the U.S. debt? Hello tariffs and hello collapse of Chinese industry. Hello revolution.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »
When it comes down to it, China has no oil and imports over 50% of their grain/wheat. They lack arable land and freshwater. They are fucked from the One Child Policy. They copy and simply do not innovate.

They hold a big amount of our debt, not a majority-not even close, but a big number of it. Well, if they cash that in they collapse as well. If they let wages rise, they will have a revolution. If inflation goes batty like it's beginning too they will have a revolution.

They are in bad, bad shape. We, the U.S., aren't as boxed in. We can erect tariffs to equalize the wage arbitrage and have production slowly but surly move back on shore. It would suck, but it can be done.

You want to drop the U.S. debt? So goodbye to your ability to eat. Hello revolution.
You want to drop the U.S. debt? Hello tariffs and hello collapse of Chinese industry. Hello revolution.

Good points.  I agree.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 11:54:42 AM »
Did Japan take over by having Nintendo own the Mariners?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 12:47:52 PM »
Did Japan take over by having Nintendo own the Mariners?

Baseball always stays the same and fans won't care who owns what team.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 03:15:24 PM »

Not only that, but they're sitting on a mountain of bad debt from loans made to local governments and companies inside China. They've acknowledged it as 7% of GDP but most estimates from people not from the Chinese thugs put it much higher. The Chinese have been giving out loans, no questions asked, for whatever amount people wanted. That is a recipe for disaster.

They're a stone's throw away from a massive economic collapse of their own. Only question is when.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
You cant just throw a bunch of money at the MLB and hope to own a team. Cuban tried it. Doesnt work that way.