Author Topic: Is is bad gym etiquette to remind unrepentant repetitive offenders  (Read 4121 times)

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Is is bad gym etiquette to remind unrepentant repetitive offenders
« on: September 04, 2011, 03:31:20 AM »
to put the weights back?

told 2 chumps yesterday "don't forget your weights" as they had left a bunch of weights on and around the bench for the 953513th time

they got very angry and defensive "WHAT?!"

i said "your weights, put them back after using"

they said "the staff will tell me what to do"

i said "ok i'll be sure to remind them"

they were 20 and 25 years old type gym rats who still bench 80kg after years of leaving the weights on the bench so i couldn't restrain myself from doing this

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
Re: Is is bad gym etiquette to remind unrepentant repetitive offenders
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:32:43 AM »
Did it lead to any fist-in-the-dentals activity ?

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 03:35:22 AM »
Did it lead to any fist-in-the-dentals activity ?
no, like i said i first assessed their age and strength levels before doing this

would not do this to an advanced lifter or older person out of respect

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:36:20 AM »
I'm torn here. I always put my weights back and hate it when others don't, but if I didn't put my weights back and someone who didn't work at the gym tried telling me what to do I wouldn't be too receptive.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:38:30 AM »
I'm torn here. I always put my weights back and hate it when others don't, but if I didn't put my weights back and someone who didn't work at the gym tried telling me what to do I wouldn't be too receptive.
Well this is true, except when you're gonna use the bench yourself next. Were you, PNS ?

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 03:41:12 AM »
Well this is true, except when you're gonna use the bench yourself next. Were you, PNS ?
no i wasn't going to use the bench, but the point is there is only one bench so everybody wants to use it

very often i have to unrack a lot of shit before being able to use it so i just sort of raged at these guys because apart from this issue they are pricks

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:44:35 AM »
IMHO heavier db's shouldnt be racked and just lay on the floor like on metroflex. It's really easy to get hurt trying to put it back especially that I don't weight much more than them...

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 03:45:39 AM »
to put the weights back?

told 2 chumps yesterday "don't forget your weights" as they had left a bunch of weights on and around the bench for the 953513th time

they were 20 and 25 years old type gym rats who still bench 80kg after years of leaving the weights on the bench so i couldn't restrain myself from doing this

Wow, you must be a beast. I hope you're proud of yourself.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 03:47:45 AM »
compared to them i certainly am

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 04:15:58 AM »

His name says it all.  Really no need for contemplation.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 04:24:45 AM »

I know what you mean but most of the people that work there are pussies and don't say shit. And even the one's that do can't be everywhere. It just pisses me off when you can't find one of the dumbbells to match your pair only to find it somewhere on the other end of the gym. And how about those tools who pile on the plates on the leg press for their 1/8 range of motion presses and then leave the dozen plates on the machine. Seriously, just put shit back.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 04:28:04 AM »

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 04:29:13 AM »
Ahh, they are young. As a youngster you do nothing somebody tells you  ;D

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:22:31 AM »
If they are fat, it's allowed to hit, slap or kick them, even if they put away the weights immaculately..

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »
young and old, everyone does it for the most part... don't know if it's laziness, self absorbed cluelessness, they think it's no big deal, they think "that's what the staff is here for! or what...

i mean to me the thing is: would they enjoy having to move SOMEONE ELSE'S weights around or off? OF COURSE NOT! BUT YET they don't put their weights away... i defines logic really...

i guess people are just that clueless, self absorbed, etcetera... it's like the analogy of you ask 100 people about people who drive and talk on their cell phones at the same time and 99.999 % of them will say " yeah, people can't drive and talk on their cell phones, they are horrible!, etcetera... and yet...

these are the same people WHO DRIVE AND TALK ON THEIR CELL PHONES? what did they mean " WELL, I MEAN EVERYONE ELSE NOT ME! DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO TALK AND DRIVE!?

strange how humans are like this i wonder if there is a exact psychological word/definition for this?  100 people will say "no one knows how to drive" well, obviously some of those 100 people who say that are ones who don't know how to drive!

anyway, personally i put my weights away, because i'm not lazy and i do what i'm supposed to do following the gym rules... heck, i hate it when you go to a movie theatre and people can't even pick up their empty popcorn and soda containers and throw them away in the trash cans provided as they leave....

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 06:45:49 AM »
If they are fat, it's allowed to hit, slap or kick them, even if they put away the weights immaculately..

8)

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 07:25:42 AM »
Sometimes I wish I ran a gym so that I could properly educate kids about this.

Instead of the fag alarm like at Planet Fitness, there should be some kind of alarm for people who don't rack weights.

They'd be called to the center of the gym and berated ... until they learn their lesson.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 07:28:57 AM »
Bash there skulls with the pink ladies DB's

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 08:07:18 AM »
to put the weights back?

Problem 1 - No one knows or teaches gym etiquette anymore.

Problem 2 - The owners or management of the gym should give 3 warnings at the most about putting weights back or get kicked out....period.

Example, if you've ever been to Golds Venice you know the entire gym is a complete disaster with unmatched dumbbells thrown all over the floor yet the management does not give two shit on how the gym is maintained. 

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 08:11:02 AM »
to put the weights back?

I usually go into a Passive Aggressive meltdown yelling at no one in particular about people not putting their weights away while I put them away.

After I get them in their proper places I do a few most musculars in the mirror while hissing and then go about my workout.

The gym usually stays pretty picked up for a couple weeks after that.
R

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
I usually go into a Passive Aggressive meltdown yelling at no one in particular about people not putting their weights away while I put them away.

After I get them in their proper places I do a few most musculars in the mirror while hissing and then go about my workout.

The gym usually stays pretty picked up for a couple weeks after that.

this would just reinforce the idea that it's unnecessary to put back the weights and some idiot will do it for u

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
this would just reinforce the idea that it's unnecessary to put back the weights and some idiot will do it for u

What did you call me  >:(
R

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
When ever someone for example is on a bench and I ask if I could work in, the right answer would be "of course" but once in a while you get the a-hole who is doing a "circuit" and says "sure, I just have 2 more sets then you can have it" and those two sets takes 10min, thats when I lose it and start braking when they had on there, when that happens.....then they could work in with me.

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »
One time a group of 6 or 7 guys were talking shit about people not leaving weights and then they left and left all the weights everywhere but I didn't say anything because they were a bunch of scary guidos  :-X

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 08:24:02 AM »
When ever someone for example is on a bench and I ask if I could work in, the right answer would be "of course" but once in a while you get the a-hole who is doing a "circuit" and says "sure, I just have 2 more sets then you can have it" and those two sets takes 10min, thats when I lose it and start braking when they had on there, when that happens.....then they could work in with me.

That's why i NEVER ask if i can work in.

Hate when it happens to me, some dork coming up, asks if he can "do one set inbetween", then sits down and it takes him 5 minutes to perform 3 crappy reps.

I rest only 30-60 seconds between sets, no way anyone can come inbetween.

I also never ask to work in, i want the machine/weights/bench all for me, if the bench is occupied, there are enough alternatives, dumbell presses, flies, pec deck, machine press, hammer strength....
I fucking hate people waiting for you to finish a set or sneak around the machine for minutes eyeing you to finish.