Author Topic: Whats more dangerous to the kidneys: creatine or steroids?  (Read 7070 times)

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
Whats more dangerous to the kidneys: creatine or steroids?
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:51:47 AM »
Some comments in the Luke thread make it sound like creatine is much worse, also this supp was (or is) banned by the brazilian health agency while steroids are very legal, things that make you go hmm.

BiGHer

• Getbig IV
Re: Whats more dangerous to the kidneys: creatine or steroids?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:54:18 AM »
Neither are that bad... Creatine is worse than any injectable steroid, but worse than orals?  I doubt it...

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:55:02 AM »
Advil

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:58:32 AM »
Advil

I heard that dude db20029339192 did a epic shop with tom prince and an advil bottle

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:00:20 AM »
I heard that dude db20029339192 did a epic shop with tom prince and an advil bottle

Yeah, cool dude, did this Prince Video too, PIP  :'(

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:38:32 AM »
I thought studies showed no adverse effects from creatine (except for people with pre existing kidney problems).
Some comments in the Luke thread make it sound like creatine is much worse, also this supp was (or is) banned by the brazilian health agency while steroids are very legal, things that make you go hmm.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 07:51:05 AM »
I thought studies showed no adverse effects from creatine (except for people with pre existing kidney problems).

THIS?

???

io856

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:54:07 AM »
yes everything but steroids  :D

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:54:52 AM »
i think the risk/reward ratio is what most "bodybuilders" are concerned with.
Deep Tissue Massage

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »

actually in your case Bam-Bam, it's more dangerous living a favela with a debt to the local boss.  

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:58:58 AM »
creatine - deadly stuff! Here's an example of long term abuse...

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:08:30 AM »
Advil

Yeah, but you're planning to take creatine every day for weeks or months.

Advil is something you might take once every few weeks when needed for headache, etc.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 08:11:41 AM »
Alcohol

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
Yeah, but you're planning to take creatine every day for weeks or months.

Advil is something you might take once every few weeks when needed for headache, etc.

ha ha, you must be new.
Deep Tissue Massage

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 08:53:08 AM »
I have no pre-existing kidney problems that I'm aware of and I have had several of the sharp knife stab feelings in my lower back when using creatine.

I've always laughed them off but know of no one else who's had them so  :-\

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »
Just talking about creatine there. I'm not going to say it's more dangerous than steroids  ;)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
Creatine is safe, used by millions of people over long years, people are talking out of their asses here.

Injectable steroids are safe as well, testosterone has been around longer than your moms, also very good scientifical studies on this.
Same goes for high protein diets, btw.

IF anything hurts your kidneys it's not drinking enough, taking diuretics, painkillers and other rec drugs.

Don't fall into a panic over this, there are so many idiots out there thinking that "if 5g of creatine are recommended, i take 20 and get more effect", and no one has gone to kidney failure over this.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 09:22:14 AM »
I never do the 'loading phase' for creatine, I think this might put unnecessary strain on the kidneys.

After a week of taking 5 grams of creatine a day it will gradually enter your system anyway, the loading phase is a waste.

Creatine makes me really thirsty, a really dry thirst I never have when I don't use it. Though I only feel like this if I'm dehydrated.

If you make sure to keep hydrated throughout the day it shouldn't be a problem, I think this why some people might get problems because they don't drink enough water when using it. I drink one and a half litres of water just at the gym alone so never had any problems!

Also I think you could use it non-stop with no probs but I personally prefer to just use it for a month or two at a time.

Oh, also drink it with orange juice or any fruit juice, it apparently helps it get absorbed better.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »
Creatine is safe, used by millions of people over long years, people are talking out of their asses here.

Injectable steroids are safe as well, testosterone has been around longer than your moms, also very good scientifical studies on this.
Same goes for high protein diets, btw.

IF anything hurts your kidneys it's not drinking enough, taking diuretics, painkillers and other rec drugs.

Don't fall into a panic over this, there are so many idiots out there thinking that "if 5g of creatine are recommended, i take 20 and get more effect", and no one has gone to kidney failure over this.

Dr Dutch approved..taking 100gr of creatine at once only gives you the running shit.

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »
back in the day I got some bad back pain while cycling thai 'bols but I dont know if it was the kidneys? are they even supposed to hurt?

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:50 PM »

Creatine is harmless: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18652082

Subcell Biochem. 2007;46:275-89.
Safety of creatine supplementation.
Persky AM, Rawson ES.
Source
Division of Pharmacotherapy and Experimental Therapeutics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7360, USA.
Abstract
The literature on creatine supplementation supporting its efficacy has grown rapidly and has included studies in both healthy volunteers and patient populations. However, the first rule in the development of therapeutic agents is safety. Creatine is well-tolerated in most individuals in short-term studies. However, isolated reports suggest creatine may be associated with various side effects affecting several organ systems including skeletal muscle, the kidney and the gastrointestinal tract. The majority of clinical studies fail to find an increased incidence of side effects with creatine supplementation. To date, studies have not found clinically significant deviations from normal values in renal, hepatic, cardiac or muscle function. Few data are available on the long-term consequences of creatine supplementation.

PMID: 18652082 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Publication Types, MeSH Terms, Substances

LinkOut - more resources

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 12:57:12 AM »
Anabolic steroids are safe and have no real bad side effects apart from raised blood pressure, raised cholesterol, water retention, gynecomastia, enlarged left ventricle of heart, liver stress, shrunken testes and infertility, altered sex function, balding, acne, altered psychological states, virilization in women, etc.

Creatine, on the other hand, is some hardcore shit and should not be taken if you care about your body and living a long, healthy life.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 01:53:35 AM »
 :)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
Dont forget myocardial fibrosis, steatosis and necrosis, plus increased risk of sudden death syndrome  ;D

Sudden death for haters, that is.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 01:56:17 AM »
Anabolic steroids are safe and have no real bad side effects apart from raised blood pressure, raised cholesterol, water retention, gynecomastia, enlarged left ventricle of heart, liver stress, shrunken testes and infertility, altered sex function, balding, acne, altered psychological states, virilization in women, etc.

Creatine, on the other hand, is some hardcore shit and should not be taken if you care about your body and living a long, healthy life.

If you only knew how ridiculous the above post is....