Author Topic: R.I.P. Art Atwood - 09-11-11  (Read 74999 times)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Re: R.I.P. Art Atwood - 09-11-11
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »
http://milwaukee-journal-sentinel.vlex.com/vid/flex-appeal-74233092

Art Atwood of West Allis carries a duffel bag full of nutritional supplements and vitamins wherever he goes.

He does worry, however, about what all the supplements are doing to his liver and kidneys, one reason he would like to retire in five or six years.

I don't mean to plug my site, especially not when someone's death is concerned, however I looked for the full text of the article above and the only place on the web I found it was a seven year old thread on my board.  You can Google "Art Atwood: Built to win" for the thread containing the article.

What I find interesting about Art's comments in this article is that it seems pretty clear that he was aware of the potential health consequences of taking bodybuilding to its highest level. Also, Art's last contest was in 2006 so presumably he didn't have to dehydrate himself to contest condition many/any times since that time unless he had a guest appearance he wanted to be in very good shape for. So Art was only at the top amateur/pro level for about six years or so [2000-2006], although he was probably running one thing or another since his earliest competition days as a teen [1992-1993]. Still, Art would hardly be the only one using for 20 years.

A heart attack at age 37 [if that is what caused Art's death] is either going to have some genetic component or be the result of abuse or both. If the competitive bodybuilding lifestyle was a guarantee of an early death we would be seeing a lot more of them. I'm not saying it wasn't a factor, but we have enough mainstream media blaming everything on steroids - from Lyle Azado's brain tumor to Chris Benoit's familicide - that we don't need it in our own press. Also, for all we know, Art may have died from a combination of alcohol and medication [as cited as a possibility] that would have killed anyone. Is that really the fault of bodybuilding?  If he went unconscious initially but drowned before he regained consciousness, is that the fault of bodybuilding? While I do believe that a bodybuilder's early death is the time to talk about the hazards of competitive bodybuilding, we should also be careful before jumping to any conclusions.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2011, 06:33:35 PM »
http://milwaukee-journal-sentinel.vlex.com/vid/flex-appeal-74233092

I don't mean to plug my site, especially not when someone's death is concerned, however I looked for the full text of the article above and the only place on the web I found it was a seven year old post on my board.  You can Google "Art Atwood: Built to win." for the thread containing the article.

What I find interesting about Art's comments in this article is that it seems pretty clear that he was aware of the potential health consequences of taking bodybuilding to its highest levels. Also, Art's last contest was in 2006 so presumably he didn't have to dehydrate himself to contest condition many/any times since that time unless he had a guest appearance he wanted to be in very good shape for. So Art was only at the top amateur/pro level for about six years or so [2000-2006], although he was probably running one thing or another since his earliest competition days as a teen [1992-1993]. Still, Art would hardly be the only one using for 20 years.

A heart attack at age 37 [if that is what caused Art's death] is either going to have some genetic component or be the result of abuse or both. If the competitive bodybuilding lifestyle was a guarantee of an early death we would be seeing a lot more of them. I'm not saying it wasn't a factor, but we have enough mainstream media blaming everything on steroids - from Lyle Azado's brain tumor to Chris Benoit's familicide - that we don't need it in our own press. Also, for all we know, Art may have died from a combination of alcohol and medication [as cited as a possibility] that would have killed anyone. Is that really the fault of bodybuilding?  If he went unconscious initially but drowned before he regained consciousness, is that the fault of bodybuilding? While I do believe that a bodybuilder's early death is the time to talk about the hazards of competitive bodybuilding, we should also be careful before jumping to any conclusions.

how tall was art?

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: September 13, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
how tall was art?

;D  :D  ;D

Special Ed has the answer: 5'11 and 1/2!  The same height as Nasser and Special Ed.  8)

Bodybuilding Pro.com

slate

• Getbig IV
Re: Art is dead! Simple Q: How did it happen?
« Reply #228 on: September 13, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »
what if there s a judgment at the end of your life, and if all bad acts are punished in some way? It's all about causes and consequences all life long, why would it be any different when you die?

uberman

you point out several interesting avenues of inquiry, however i seem to remember that in my post i said :

"Thing is; that is not what I asking here

I would just like to know the true circumstances of this death.

Is that really too much to ask for??"

So while i do not wish to upset you i must point out that your answer does not address my question.

If i now turn to your answer proper, it is not obvious to me how to answer it. In fact, if you re-read my post the question that arises is do you understand the english language?

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
you sick fuck  ;)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #230 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »
was he still married to that Belarusian hottie?

I thought I heard somewhere that she dumped him.
I could be wrong...
!

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
you sick fuck  ;)

;D

I used to care a lot about height because I was wondering what the perfect height for a bodybuilder was and I do think 5'9 is probably it.  ;)

From FitAdina on MD, "Art Atwood - Official Statement from Busines Partner - NEW INFORMATION ADDED":

I spoke with Steven Salmon today, business partner of the late Art Atwood.

He called MD to set the record straight on a few things being said about the passing of Art.

Steven advised, “Sunday, at about 2:30PM, Art was walking through the pool area of his residence when he had a massive heart attack.

We are not sure if he was going for a swim or just passing through the area, but he was not at a party. He was at the pool area of the condo where he lives.

Two residents who were at the pool saw him fall in and immediately pulled him out. They were able to revive him and get the paramedics, but it was too late. The damage had already been done.”

I asked Steven if Art died there or on the way to the hospital. He said he was unsure, because those details had not been released. He will update us further as the story develops.

Art is survived by both of his parents, a brother and a sister. He will be buried in Wisconsin.

A candle light vigil will be held at his home in Dallas the weekend after the Olympia.

Steven also advised that Art's business, Pro Supplements, will carry on with business as usual, keeping Art's vision alive.

We will continue to update you as information becomes available.

Newest information from Steven:

"Art died at the hospital.

The coroner’s report shows that he died of heart attack.

He unknowingly suffered a minor heart attack about a month ago. As it turns out, heart disease does run in his family."
Bodybuilding Pro.com

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »
Nice of MD not to try to get PR or profit off a mans death  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »
'He unknowingly suffered a minor heart attack about a month ago'

bombshell news item there.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: September 13, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »
The real story is

Art Atwood was walking through his condo complex by the pool when he suffered a massive heart attack.  He fell into the pool, people immediately rushed to help. Paramedics came pretty quickly, but couldn't help him.  Family is devastated.

Thanks for updating the information regarding Art Atwoods unfortunate death. May he rest in peace.

No doubt people will start the rant about steroids being the cause of his death now. Of course people die from heart failure all the time, even people as young as Art was. Not all of them take steroids. Without doubt, Art probably used steroids to enhance his genetic gift of being able to add a lot of muscle mass.

I've said this before and I'll probably say it again. Regardless of how one gets huge, being huge is really hard on one's heart. Some folks fool themselves by believing that if their weight is muscle weight their hearts will be fine. And it is true that it is healthier to be muscular as opposed to just being fat. But healthier doesn't mean healthy.

I believe, given the continuing trend for bodybuilders to be mass monsters we will see more fellow bodybuilders succumbing to the stress this puts on their hearts. Incidentally, when one's heart is compromised it can also affect ones kidneys. Our organs work in concert, when one fails the others often fail too. Our bodies can take a heap of punishment, some people more than others. But sometimes the punishment is just too much and things start going wrong.

I'm no expert. I am not a doctor. But, it only takes a little common sense to realize that the average man standing 5'11" doesn't weigh 320 lbs and still have a healthy body and heart. This is even more of a problem if this person added 30% to their bodyweight in a couple of years. I highly recommend folks monitor their health by having annual physicals, routinely checking their blood pressure and living sensibly.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #235 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »
;D

I used to care a lot about height because I was wondering what the perfect height for a bodybuilder was and I do think 5'9 is probably it.  ;)

From FitAdina on MD, "Art Atwood - Official Statement from Busines Partner - NEW INFORMATION ADDED":

Yes, pretty much exactly what I wrote when I spoke to Steven on Monday morning.   Here is the official statement from Steven

Sunday, at about 2:30pm Art was walking through the pool area of the condo where he lives when he had a massive heart attack. We are not sure if he was going for a swim or just passing through the area, but he was not at a party. He was at the pool area of the condo where he lives.

Two residents who were at the pool saw him fall in and immediately pulled him out. They were able to revive him and get the paramedics, but it was too late the damage was done and Art passed away at a hospital near by.

The coronary report showed that Art died of a heart attack . The report also states he unknowingly suffered a minor heart attack about a month ago. As it turns out heart disease does run in his family.

Arts companies Official Professional Supplements & Results Pro-Tan & Nutrition are survived by long-time friend & business partner Steven Salmon and a great team of employees. The companies will continue to grow and make Art's dreams a reality. Please Like IFBB Pro Art Atwood Fan Page and share any positive stories, pictures, and memories you have of Art.

As of now we know that there will be funeral arrangements made for Art in Wisconsin this coming Weekend (exact details will be shared when known). A vigil will be held in Dallas, TX September 25th for Art's friends, fans, and loved ones to come celebrate Art's life. Again - exact detail will be shared once known. We will be displaying pictures of Art & friends on a projection screen - if you have any photos that you would like us to show during the vigil please email them to: Sandydoxley@yahoo.com.

Thank you for your support,

Steven Salmon

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #236 on: September 13, 2011, 10:54:19 PM »
I mean, how do you have a small heart attack and not even know it? That is the part that really perplexes me...But whatever...RIP Iron Brother...

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
I mean, how do you have a small heart attack and not even know it? That is the part that really perplexes me...But whatever...RIP Iron Brother...

happens very often.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:24 PM »
happens very often.

I agree - pain is there you get over it - people move on,

I mean people are sometimes extremly stupid - especially men do not go to the doctor unless they are in crazy pain.

How else do you explain a guy with a huge tumor on his throat I mean HUGE!! and he goes to the doctor when he already cannot breath right anymore, I mean that thing doesn't grow over night.

Same with heart attacks - small one is painfull sure but people probably convince themself - ah just a bad case of heart burn!!! ::)

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:13 AM »
RIP

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2011, 01:19:16 AM »
Strong element of denial regarding hormones, yes narcotics and alcohol could have played a part, but hormones could have and most likely will have played their part in Arts heart attack.

no!,, only hormone that will play a part in heart attack is INSULINA in high doses! when mixed! when mixed! with narcotics,, aas had nothing to do with his death ,,he suffered heart attack at age 38 due to the abusive life style of narcotics,, insulina ,, diuretics,, he probably liked to drink ... etc etc,, nothing to do with aas directly ,,they were just there and as usual will take the fault

gh15 approved
fallen angel

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2011, 01:26:41 AM »
its very important we take care of our health

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2011, 03:08:24 AM »

My dad had a heart attack 2 years ago,he had gone to bed saying he felt he had indigestion,my mum called me and i went over and noticed his left hand was twitching,he said he had no feeling in his arm,and thats when i phoned for an ambulance.Within 5 mins they got here but his veins had already collapsed,they managed to get him to the hospital and save his life though.His best friend had died of a heart attack a month previous,his wife had said he complained of indigestion and went to bed.The doctor in the hospital told me 90% of all heart attacks have the same symptoms as indigestion and thats why people ignore the early warning signs,because we think a heart attack is the same as we see in films,where someone starts to grab their chest and scream in agony.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:39 AM »

Heart attacks can occur on small levels, to the point you can easily assume it is something else.

Recent studies showed fatal heart attacks can occur when reserves of Omega 3 fatty acids have been depleted within cardiac tissue. If you take Omega 3 you have better chance of survival, as they can help keep the heart going post attack.

AAS can have negative effect on various element of your lipid profile.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2011, 03:57:10 AM »

I'm no expert. I am not a doctor. But, it only takes a little common sense to realize that the average man standing 5'11" doesn't weigh 320 lbs and still have a healthy body and heart. This is even more of a problem if this person added 30% to their bodyweight in a couple of years. I highly recommend folks monitor their health by having annual physicals, routinely checking their blood pressure and living sensibly.

My dad had a heart attack 2 years ago,and i asked the consultant cardiac doctor about this very topic,and he said a 20 stone obese guy is the same as a 20 stone muscular guy,the heart still has the same amount of work to do.Right there and then i decided against the old "bulk up" period that i used to do and purposely dropped a stone in weight.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2011, 04:01:01 AM »
Wow, to think these two died weeks apart. And how strange that Art died on 9/11.
::) Yea pretty strange coincidences there, Nostradamus.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2011, 04:03:58 AM »
::) Yea pretty strange coincidences there, Nostradamus.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2011, 06:32:33 AM »
tell the truth! the guy was blitz and fell in

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2011, 07:55:31 AM »
IFFB+WWE = "our athletes know the risk when they sign the contracts with their blood"
Get Big, or Die Trying

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »
no!,, only hormone that will play a part in heart attack is INSULINA in high doses! when mixed! when mixed! with narcotics,, aas had nothing to do with his death ,,he suffered heart attack at age 38 due to the abusive life style of narcotics,, insulina ,, diuretics,, he probably liked to drink ... etc etc,, nothing to do with aas directly ,,they were just there and as usual will take the fault

gh15 approved

Can you seriosuly shut the fuck up? You're act is old and wearing thin and ppl dont care.