Author Topic: Got me some property....one step closer to getting off the grid  (Read 18760 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: Got me some property....one step closer to getting off the grid
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
Fully self sufficient?
is going to make his own anal lube?  ???
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2012, 06:30:12 AM »
Good plan a damn bunch of work though.

Not in the scheme of things.  Once the plans are set, I'll hire a foreman and some Mexicans to help build the home.  Most of the supplies I can get from any home improvement store delivered for free and since its not going to be a big house (under 400 sq ft open floor plan), it will not take long to finish.
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »

Not in the scheme of things.  Once the plans are set, I'll hire a foreman and some Mexicans to help build the home.  Most of the supplies I can get from any home improvement store delivered for free and since its not going to be a big house (under 400 sq ft open floor plan), it will not take long to finish.

Why not hire an american contractor and help the economy like Obama said to? 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
Why not hire an american contractor and help the economy like Obama said to? 

Not all Mexicans are in the country illegally, dipshit.... ::)  In addition, its not my job to built the American Economy....I simply have to pay my taxes and take care of myself
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »
I'll be doing my first test in December with a skeleton system.  I'll be camping out with a modified tent with a wood stove and a 15 watt solar panel system for my Tablet and cell phone.  I'll be able to get a general feel of things and learn what to improve on. 
A

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »
I'll be doing my first test in December with a skeleton system.  I'll be camping out with a modified tent with a wood stove and a 15 watt solar panel system for my Tablet and cell phone.  I'll be able to get a general feel of things and learn what to improve on. 

Why the big wait between now and December?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »
Why the big wait between now and December?

preparation and winter would be the best test for the system plans.
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »

preparation and winter would be the best test for the system plans.

If you want pm me, I can sell you a bunch of stuff.   I have shake weights, snake oil, etc.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »
If you want pm me, I can sell you a bunch of stuff.   I have shake weights, snake oil, etc.

I still don't want your mamma.  Tell her that she'll have to stay on the farm with the rest of the hogs. ;D
A

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
I'll be doing my first test in December with a skeleton system.  I'll be camping out with a modified tent with a wood stove and a 15 watt solar panel system for my Tablet and cell phone.  I'll be able to get a general feel of things and learn what to improve on.  

How long are you planning to stay out there?  And have you considered trying one of the Kimberly stoves on this trip?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »
Wouldn't it be more efficient to live in something with a higher R value than a tent?

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »
Wouldn't it be more efficient to live in something with a higher R value than a tent?

I spent a few days in a yurt this winter. The inside was covered in wool blankets and just a wood stove to keep it warm. Got into the single digits at night but stayed 50ish inside.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
How long are you planning to stay out there?  And have you considered trying one of the Kimberly stoves on this trip?

I'm going to use a military tent stove with a water jacket.  I'll be able to take a warm shower, cook food, and have heat all in one.  I decided against using the Kimberly stove. Plans are going to change a bit until I'm comfortable with it which is why I'm taking my time on this project. 
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2012, 07:46:26 AM »

The tent will be using a special insulation that I'm testing....same as what's used on NASA shuttles.
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »

The tent will be using a special insulation that I'm testing....same as what's used on NASA shuttles.
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2012, 09:59:41 AM »
A tree house and a kerosene heaters sounds cheaper.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:12 AM »

NASA?  Dude.  For cost/ R value, it's hard to go past expanded polystyrene or polyurethane.  SIPs are a very cheap and quick way to build, certainly easy enough to do most yourself, and you'd be spending time solving questions of preference rather than viability.  Alternatively, you and a friend would put up basic steel or timber studwall and truss roof framing in a week.  A contractor would have the place roofed and sided in the same amount of time and you'd onto services by week two.  The yurt, being unconventional, seems like it would involve a lot of solution finding time.

Post up some specs and plans if you can.  Obviously I've got my doubts but I'd be interested to see what you're proposing.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »
NASA?  Dude.  For cost/ R value, it's hard to go past expanded polystyrene or polyurethane.  SIPs are a very cheap and quick way to build, certainly easy enough to do most yourself, and you'd be spending time solving questions of preference rather than viability.  Alternatively, you and a friend would put up basic steel or timber studwall and truss roof framing in a week.  A contractor would have the place roofed and sided in the same amount of time and you'd onto services by week two.  The yurt, being unconventional, seems like it would involve a lot of solution finding time.

Post up some specs and plans if you can.  Obviously I've got my doubts but I'd be interested to see what you're proposing.

It has to be light so that it can be easily moved swiftly to another location if needed.  That's why I'm going to try a number of different types of homesteads.  I've already done the cabin which I liked so I'm going to do the tent and yurt next.  This also allows me to learn about the benefits and downsides so that when the decision is made, I am prepared for it
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »

It has to be light so that it can be easily moved swiftly to another location if needed.  That's why I'm going to try a number of different types of homesteads.  I've already done the cabin which I liked so I'm going to do the tent and yurt next.  This also allows me to learn about the benefits and downsides so that when the decision is made, I am prepared for it
You one paranoid little dude, have you made you own anal lube yet? ;D :-X ???
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
I am moving to a tree house.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2012, 12:00:16 AM »

Modular SIP construction on prefab steel bases.  Can be loaded by forklift, crane, or boomtruck.  Restumping is a matter of hours for a pro.  Finish with an acrylic elastomer and you can roll that sucker up & down mountains without a crack appearing.  Run of the mill manufactured housing - proven and cheap.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
I am moving to a tree house.

haha, can you imagine Vince doing this in the mtns of NC?  What a circus.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
haha, can you imagine Vince doing this in the mtns of NC?  What a circus.
LOL. Wonder if he it would be a one bedroom or two?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »
I'm going to use a military tent stove with a water jacket.  I'll be able to take a warm shower, cook food, and have heat all in one.  I decided against using the Kimberly stove. Plans are going to change a bit until I'm comfortable with it which is why I'm taking my time on this project. 

There you go.  Sounds like a good start.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me.