Author Topic: Got me some property....one step closer to getting off the grid  (Read 18770 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Got me some property....one step closer to getting off the grid
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »
Seriously Vince good luck sounds like a great idea. But why use propane heat?  Why not a wood stove?

The propane isn't for heat purposes although I'll have a propane heater for backup.  The propane is for running my refrigerator, stove and my Water on Demand 20 gallon heat pump for showers and etc.  I'll actually have a wood stove but I'll be using wood pellets primarily because it burns better and I will need it for the composting toilet. 
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:03 AM »

I still have a business to run but you still need phone service in case of an emergency or to call friends and family.  Like I said, I'm not going to become some hobbit or something like that....just want to get away from shit 

Fair enough. Good Luck.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »

The propane isn't for heat purposes although I'll have a propane heater for backup.  The propane is for running my refrigerator, stove and my Water on Demand 20 gallon heat pump for showers and etc.  I'll actually have a wood stove but I'll be using wood pellets primarily because it burns better and I will need it for the composting toilet. 

You can also use saw dust for the composting toilet.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »
You can also use saw dust for the composting toilet.

if its cheaply available, I'll use it as well.  The whole purpose in having a composting toilet is to utilize my solar methane generator.  Being on a homestead, I'll need to run a lot of power tools which uses up a lot of electricity.  One canister should give me about 3 hours of power a day and any excess can be used for the garden. 

The whole thing is a big project in the works and there's a lot of planning and decisions to make.  I do have the advantage of having a large budget for the venture because of my business income but my overall cost for property and the homestead is not going to exceed 20k which is more than enough for everything.  A lot of items are going to be salvaged from RV's and mobile homes and since I used to work for Blevins, I can get a huge discount on item should I wish to get some brand new things
A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »
if its cheaply available, I'll use it as well.  The whole purpose in having a composting toilet is to utilize my solar methane generator.  Being on a homestead, I'll need to run a lot of power tools which uses up a lot of electricity.  One canister should give me about 3 hours of power a day and any excess can be used for the garden. 

The whole thing is a big project in the works and there's a lot of planning and decisions to make.  I do have the advantage of having a large budget for the venture because of my business income but my overall cost for property and the homestead is not going to exceed 20k which is more than enough for everything.  A lot of items are going to be salvaged from RV's and mobile homes and since I used to work for Blevins, I can get a huge discount on item should I wish to get some brand new things

Kinda like how Thoreau did it in Walden. Lots of cheap and used materials.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
Kinda like how Thoreau did it in Walden. Lots of cheap and used materials.

For some of the items, yes.  RV equipment is readily available and abundant for sale.  However, the main equipment will be new because its essential to have everything running smooth without any issues.  Solar panels for example are a lot more powerful than they were a few years ago and the cost is getting down to where its essentially at grid parity with general power sources. 
A

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 05:06:58 AM »

I would check in Woodruff, NC for land.  I believe you can pick up some acres for about 3500 bucks.  Really rural area but quiet. 

You can go on rural real estate websites,  topix, craigslist, atc land etc and find it cheaper that that.  there is 32 acres in Coeburn, Va for $22,000 right now, and it's been for sale for over a year that I know of.  It's just so far from me(about 8 hrs) that I don't want to buy it.  I also saw 55 acres for $40,000($730acre) in SW/central Va as well.  I will look into all of this stuff you are talking about, methane power, solar power etc.  What is the basic cost for these items?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 06:16:31 AM »
You can go on rural real estate websites,  topix, craigslist, atc land etc and find it cheaper that that.  there is 32 acres in Coeburn, Va for $22,000 right now, and it's been for sale for over a year that I know of.  It's just so far from me(about 8 hrs) that I don't want to buy it.  I also saw 55 acres for $40,000($730acre) in SW/central Va as well.  I will look into all of this stuff you are talking about, methane power, solar power etc.  What is the basic cost for these items?

That's the cool part.  The electric system is easier and cheaper than ever to design.  Right now my plans are for about 6 Deep Cycle Marine Batteries interconnected for power storage, a voltage regulator, computer controller, and a power inverter...all of which will be wired to a circuit breaker box and then to all of the outlets, the same as a house.  All of this will be under 700 dollars.  I'm not buying the solar panels or wind turbines yet because the price is rapidly dropping on them and in 2 years it won't cost shit along with the newer models will be capable of generating more power.  It will give me more than enough power to run air conditioning, stereo, TV, etc all day and night if I wanted to.  I think my education from studying engineering in college is really going to pay off because I can build this in my sleep practically.  Its not difficult anymore to set up these systems.  The solar methane generator is something I haven't priced yet and I may not go with it because there's a lot of issues with the current designs right now which makes it quite dangerous.  You can easily kill yourself from the toxic fumes or if it explodes.

As far as land is concerned, I'll only buy about 2 acres at most because I don't have any need for any more.  Just a large garden and a hot tub will do for me along with a basketball court or something to stay entertained.  The only thing I've really decided on is the homestead and I intend on purchasing a 30 foot Yurt from Pacific Yurts as it will be easier to set up and give me all the modern conveniences of a regular home along with the durability to withstand heavy winters, stormy weather and hot summers.
A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
It's the ash you put in the toilet, not the wood pellets right?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »
It's the ash you put in the toilet, not the wood pellets right?

The toilet I'm looking at uses wood pellets..not sure how it works exactly as composing.   Its not that important as the toilets are pretty inexpensive and I just want to be able to take a dump without hooking up a septic system. 
A

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »
Yeah the "rat race" in Dillsboro has got to be taxing.... that train passing thru twice a day...  ::)

Sorry Vince, couldn't resist.  ;D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 02:22:29 PM »
Yeah the "rat race" in Dillsboro has got to be taxing.... that train passing thru twice a day...  ::)

Sorry Vince, couldn't resist.  ;D

Dillsboro is the town across from where I live but yes its very peaceful and quiet here....one of the reasons why I moved from Greenville SC.  No use in staying in the city after I was laid off from Alltel. 
A

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 02:43:48 PM »
Dillsboro is the town across from where I live but yes its very peaceful and quiet here....one of the reasons why I moved from Greenville SC.  No use in staying in the city after I was laid off from Alltel. 

I am absolutely going to do the same thing....been looking at some property between Boone and Hickory.  I grew up across the mtn from you in Franklin, and love that area.  the lack of jobs in the only reason I don't still live there.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »
I've finally decided on the main property and I intend to get a  30" Yurt from Pacific Yurts for my living needs.  I'm going to insulate the floors and add hardwood and install a stovepipe.  Outside, I'm going to purchase a small storage shed that will house the solar panels, control system, and run an underground wire and direct pipe to the yurt for power needs along with adding three wind turbine generators on the top of the storage shed for additional power...that way it gives me more space to operate .  I'll install the breaker box inside the yurt in case of any issues.

My reasoning for the yurt is that it will be easier to move and when the covering wear down after the 15 year warranty, I can simply slip on a brand new one
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 11:34:31 AM »
Finally a good thread by Vince we'll see what Basile has to say.

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 07:56:45 AM »
Damn right.  I've been planning it for a while now but I want to do it in comfort.  I've planned just about everything from the power system to the wiring and the homestead design itself.  Rather than waiting for the economy to go to shit, I'm taking it upon myself to cover my ass.  

Vinny, do you have any experience with firearms??

Tip = .375 Python, an AK, a good .308 rifle & a Remington/Mossgerg  12 gauge pump action.
That should be enough for most situations. Tip x2 = get a good scope for the .308  ;)

The accuracy international, arctic warfare 50 .308 is a beauty.

PT
Growth/noob loves me

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
Vinny, do you have any experience with firearms??

Tip = .375 Python, an AK, a good .308 rifle & a Remington/Mossgerg  12 gauge pump action.
That should be enough for most situations. Tip x2 = get a good scope for the .308  ;)

The accuracy international, arctic warfare 50 .308 is a beauty.

PT

Plenty of it from being in the Army to hunting with my uncle and old school buddies.  The firearm you use for hunting depends on what you are hunting.  A shotgun for example would be best suited for shooting at a flock of birds while a .308 would be for shooting deer and elk.  But make sure you get preminum ammunition for your needs and make sure you do a little target practice to center the rifle. 

A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
Alright, got the air conditioning situated.  I'm going to use a Solartron air conditioner.  It uses Ice Gel Packs as a cooling source while a fan system pull in and out air in addition to filtering it as well doubling as a air purifier so it will take very minimal power to operate.  I'll simply get an extra packs and keep them in my propane freezer and change them out as accordingly.  Entire system is only 200 bucks and it will cool 400 sq feet for hours on end. 
A

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
Self Sufficiency Sucks - Why work so hard for everything - 200 years of Industrial Revolution and you want to go hide in the backwaters somewhere ignoring the rest of the world. Sounds like way too much hard work for little reward.  I love the grid & am grateful I can plug in any time.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
Vince you're a semi smart guy but seriously come on ... there is no such thing as your own place, you either loose "your" place to the government if the SHTF or to some clan rally.
True, we dont own our houses, we just borrow them from our children.
V

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »
Self Sufficiency Sucks - Why work so hard for everything - 200 years of Industrial Revolution and you want to go hide in the backwaters somewhere ignoring the rest of the world. Sounds like way too much hard work for little reward.  I love the grid & am grateful I can plug in any time.

What's backwoods about using solar and wind power??  Its what's going to be used in the future.
A

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »
Plenty of it from being in the Army to hunting with my uncle and old school buddies.  The firearm you use for hunting depends on what you are hunting.  A shotgun for example would be best suited for shooting at a flock of birds while a .308 would be for shooting deer and elk.  But make sure you get preminum ammunition for your needs and make sure you do a little target practice to center the rifle. 

Thank you Vinny, I would have been lost without that. I would have gone after the ducks with the .308 & tried my luck with Deer/ Elk using the 12 gauge  ::)

You do know I am a member of the MRA, right?? http://www.mra.org.in/

PT
Growth/noob loves me

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2011, 03:16:20 AM »

You are a fucking estupido pendejo, I will love it when the grind, grinds you into the floor you fucking moron.
Another Yank who thinks the US is going to be a never ending party  ::) good luck with your situation over there, sink further into denial dick head, we will all still sleep at night.

Oh, & your avatar should have an epilepsy warning, fucking spastic, kunt.

PT
Growth/noob loves me

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2011, 05:45:02 AM »

What's backwoods about using solar and wind power??  Its what's going to be used in the future.
We dont live in the future though.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2011, 05:47:56 AM »
You are a fucking estupido pendejo, I will love it when the grind, grinds you into the floor you fucking moron.
Another Yank who thinks the US is going to be a never ending party  ::) good luck with your situation over there, sink further into denial dick head, we will all still sleep at night.

Oh, & your avatar should have an epilepsy warning, fucking spastic, kunt.

PT
Hi, I am an Australian, happy with life and do not know what you mean by the grind.  I just live life day to day and enjoy it.  It isnt hard, I dont even have to think about breathing, it just happens.  Fantastic, Lifes not that hard, things arent so bad, no need to run away into the woods and hide.  You will be OK.
V